Hot and Cold

FACE - A NU'EST STORY

Owwwwwww.

I feel a sharp pain across the my lower abdomen and I crawl into my bed hug myself into fetal position. I knew this pain too well as it made my life unnecessarily difficult once every month. Yes, it is that time of the month. The time when anything and everything irritates me to no ends and the excruciating pain sure does not help.

‘OMMA!' I shout out hoping my is home from work already since it's pretty late. However, there is no response.

‘OMMMAAAA!!’ I try one more time.

I hear someone run up the stairs and into your room. That someone turns out to be Ren.

‘What’s wrong? Are you okay?’ He asks scrunching his eyebrows.

‘Obviously not! Can’t you see I’m in pain?!?! I NEED PAINKILLERS!!!!’ I burst out which surprises Ren.

‘Ah—hold on I’ll get them’ He sounds flustered but runs off. Within half a minute he is back with a box of painkillers and a glass of water.

‘Here.’ He carefully helps me sit up right and puts the small white powdery pill in my mouth. He puts the glass to my lips and tilts it until there is enough water to swallow the tablet. He then props up my pillows behind me.

‘This okay? I’ll be right back.’ He says.

‘Mm.’ I mumble in response.

Ren brings me a hot water bottle and places it on my lap. The warmth radiating from it instantly makes me feel slightly better and I lie down once again, holding it close to me. The pain starts to subside and my mind starts to clear up. Suddenly, I feel gentle pats on my back.

Wha- what is happening?

But I don't do anything because I feel comforted. 

‘Ren, it’s okay, you can stop now.’ I say after a few minutes.

‘Oh.’ He immediately stops. I slowly sit up and he looks away, slightly embarrassed.

‘Um, are you okay?’ I'm genuinely curious.

‘You’re a woman, you should always be prepared for things like menstrual cramps.’ He ignores my question but I feel the temperature on my cheeks rise.

How does he know I'm having extreme period pains?

‘Don’t worry about it. My mother used to be the same as you. She used to get severe pains monthly as well.’ Well, it is as if he’s reading my mind.

Ah, his mother...

‘So… where is your mother now then?’ 

‘That is none of your business.’ He replies coolly with his inexpressive gaze.

I really don't understand him. How can he be so nice one moment and then totally opposite the next?

Some moments pass and no one says anything. I can almost physically feel the awkwardness between us. I glance at him to check if he's staring at me but he isn't instead he seems to be fixated on something else beside me. I take the opportunity to carefully scan his face as I'm eager to know what he is thinking. His eyebrows look relaxed causing him to appear less stern but his eyes look melancholic. I also notice that he had his hair tied back and his fringe clipped up which exposed his forehead. His milky white skin is flawless and the colour of his eyes are a perfect contrast to his skin. His naturally pink lips are smaller in proportion to his eyes but that only made him look so much more doll-like.

Seriously, how can someone be this-

My thought gets disrupted by Ren’s cool fingers gently brushing away strands of hair that seems to have been on my face. Before I have the chance to even react, he stands up abruptly and leaves. 

What just happened?