Family Affairs

FACE - A NU'EST STORY

I would have never predicted what I learned from my trip to halmoni's. Rather than truth, it was coincidence that was stranger than fiction because JR was indeed halmoni's other grandson. This meant him and Ren were tied by blood as cousins. I think it through and recall when the two had been face to face; it had certainly seemed like they weren't strangers. I had a feeling then that somehow they were connected but I couldn't have imagined them to be related.

'What's on your mind?' I sense Baekho glance at me on the rear view mirror. Ren was not coming back with us as he was playing handyman for halmoni tonight. I decided to keep what I knew to myself. Probably for the best too seeing as Ren's reaction would have most likely asked me to mind my own business.

'Oh nothing. Just that --' Then I remember something. Specifically about something Baekho had said about being friends with Ren since they were kids.

'Baekho, you said you'd known Ren for a long time right?' I ask the back of his head.

'Yes mi lady, why do you ask?' He responds whilst concentrating on the road.

'Um, do you know JR too?' Baekho does not immediately reply. 'What about that spoiled assh*le?' He says after a few moments and for the first time since I've met him, I sense sterness in his voice.

'Oh just wondering if you knew him.' I say cautiously. 'Looks like you were familiar with him too?'

Baekho draws in a deep breath. He slowly pulls over near a convenience store. 'Come on, let's grab a snack.' 

I'm about to protest but I comply after seeing the seriousness in his facial expression. I follow him into the shop as he grabs a choco pie and a canned coffee. I do the same without a single word spoken. Once we have made our purchases, Baekho leads me to the green plastic table and chair set outside the store for customers. I take the seat opposite to his and we start munching on our respective chocolate pies.

'JR... where do I even start with that punk..' He starts whilst opening his can of coffee.

'Baekho, listen, you don't have to tell me anything if you don't feel comfortable.' I lay it out for him as I don't want him to feel obliged.

'Oh no, I was just slightly startled when you mentioned him. I don't mind telling you.' He flashes his signature smile, easing the tension. 'But yes, you're right. I knew JR very well too. Him, Ren and I were like three peas in a pod. Until, well, their family separated.'

'Ah yeah, heard about that from halmoni. JR's father right?' 

'Yeah, I mean, I didn't mind much you know, I was still okay despite what JR's dad did.' He looks down at the can of coffee in his hands. 'I just didn't expect JR to change so... drastically. It was almost as if he became a different person overnight. I just didn't understand... With me, I'm okay, you know. It's just, with Ren.. the two used to be so close, like blood brothers.' 

'Either way, I hate that guy because well, he got me kicked out of school. Look where I am now... I mean no offence but this is hardly a dream job.'

Guilt immediately washes over me as I realise I haven't actually ever asked him why he wasn't in school in the first place. 'Oh, I'm not offended.' I quickly reply. 'And if you don't mind me asking... how is it that JR got you kicked out?'

His eyebrows furrow as he seems to be contemplating something. 'There were some stuff about me that went around our school - you know, the sh*tty one that got shut down over a year ago? yeah, that one. Some people there... didn't like what they heard and decided to make my life a living hell. I'm sure you're aware of the term 'wangda'? (I nod yes) Yeah, they did that to me, except I fought back like, really hard and got caught at the wrong place at the wrong time.'

I don't say anything and just gaze at him expectantly as if to say 'go on'. 'I suppose you are curious to know what the rumour might have been?' I realise he must know me well enough by now to predict my curious nature. I tell him that I am in fact interested but as long as he feels comfortable to share to which he grins as if I gave him the response he expected.

'Well, let's just say that I confided in JR and Ren about something a while ago...' He is peering at me intently, as if he's ready for a reaction. 'I told them that I was attracted to a boy.'

I physically feel my eyebrows raise but . 

'Anyway, so, we got into a massive fight - triggered by JR once again, surprise surprise - treating us like sh*t stuck to his shoes. I just couldn't take it anymore you know, so I gave him a physical taste of his own medicine by landing one right on his left eye socket. That didn't sit well with him and  the next day, all I know was that what I told him in secret had spread like wildfire.'

'I had all sorts of kids come up to me calling me homo this, f*agg*t that... people I've never even spoken to in my entire life, suddenly had so much to say to me. Some even dared to spit on me. I held it in, and held it in and held it in until one day, I just couldn't anymore. There is only so much crap and frustration a person can take, you know?'

At that moment, I knew exactly what he was talking about and although what he went through is incomparable, it reminded me of my own outburst at Minji and Bora last year.

'I'm sorry about school though. How about you come to my school? I'm sure mother can put in a word--'

He interupts me by placing his hand over mine. 'Don't worry about it. You shouldn't concern yourself with such things.' He says seriously and after a few moments, his signature eye smile is back on his face. His hand is warm and comforting, just like him and as I'm about to pull away, he grabs hold of it. 'Come on, let's go home.'