Mother Knows Best

Better Late than Never

 

Shin Hye’s POV

“So Min, gwaenchanha?”

I saw her splashing water on her face when I went inside the restroom. She was shocked to see me. I knew So Min will not easily take this because I know how much she adores Kim Hyun Joong. I just didn’t realize it until this day came.

“Ne. I’m fine. Don’t worry about me. I think I’m just having some stomach cramps. I must have eaten a lot! Kekeke.”

I know it was just her cover but… there’s nothing I can do. I don’t know what to do.

“Mianhae So Min… I know how much you liked Hyun Joong…”

“Aniyo! Nothing to be sorry about. I’m ok. It’s just that… I’m his fan… and I liked him so much. I was just shocked but then… I still wish for the best for the both of you! I’m your fan too, right? Fans love and respect their idols so they respect their decision who to love too. Just like what fans do, All we have to do is to be happy for you and support you all the way.”

I was glad to hear that. She’s really honest. She gave me a smile—a genuine one. Phew! It gave me a relief.

End of POV

 

The two girls went back to the table. It’s as if nothing happened earlier.

“By the way, we’ll have a small gathering later in our house. It’s for my comeback and… Eomma and Appa also wanted to meet Hyun Joong. We’ll have dinner tonight. Min Young eonni invited Min Ho and he already agreed. Wanna come?”

“Uhmm…” Yong Hwa was thinking if he should go or not. He wasn’t really sure what to do if the group knows about this. He’s had enough for the day. But… he just can’t let Shin Hye down.

“It would be nice to see you there So Min-ssi, Yong Hwa-ssi.” Hyun Joong gave them an encouraging look.

“Uh… arasseo. We’ll be there. Right, Yong?”

“Ah, ne.”

***

“Eomma, you’ve already prepared a lot! This is too much for us!” Shin Hye’s eyes widened as she saw their table filled with lots of yummy dishes. It’s obvious that her eomoni really loves to cook.

“Aish! Don’t mind your eomma, Shin Hye! She just wanted our guests to be very well satisfied for dinner. After all, it’s her way of showing her affections.” Mr. Park winks at his yeobo. She smiled sweetly back to him.

The doorbell rang. It was Hyun Joong.

“Annyeong!” He greeted Min Young politely with a bow.

“Hey Hyun Joong! It’s been a while since we last met for our endorsement for The Face Shop! Come in!”

“Yeah, it’s been almost a year. Fate must have been good to you ever since. You look pretty as ever.”

He brought presents for the whole family. Of course, he had to show them that his thoughtfulness.

“Gamsa, Hyun Joong-ah.” The Park couple said.

The doorbell had another rang. Mrs. Park and Min Young opened the gate and let Shin Hye and her abeonim entertain Hyun Joong. It was Min Ho with the twins.

“Oh! There you are my children! Come inside!”

“Gamsahamnida.”

Min Young held hands with her jagiya but linked arms with So Min on the other side. It was ok for Min Ho since he is also a friend of So Min while Mrs. Park had her hands on Yong Hwa’s shoulders.

“Yong-ah, what happened to your confession? I thought it would be you who’s gonna be her jagiya.” Mrs. Park whispered to him. He couldn’t believe she knew it already. He just gave him a sheepish smile.

So Min immediately told Min Young what happened at the restaurant earlier because Min Young was the one who suggested So Min to follow her twin. Min Young already had the feeling that Shin Hye and Hyun Joong had something going on between them by the time her sister talks about him while she was in China. She immediately told her eomma about this because she knew her eomma liked Yong Hwa so much for her yeodongsaeng.

“Don’t worry. I got your back.” Mrs. Park winked at him then headed back to the kitchen to help the helpers prepare for dinner.

They all sat down on the table. Hyun Joong sat beside Shin Hye while Yong Hwa was between So Min and Mrs. Park. Min Young and Min Ho sat near Mr. Park who seated in the head chair.

Min Ho was shocked to see Hyun Joong.

“Hyun Joong-ah! Long time no see!” They had the ‘bro-hug’. Min Ho and Hyun Joong used to be his racing buddy way back then.

“It’s nice to see you again, Min Ho! Oh, looks like you and Min Young are a perfect match! Congrats bro!” Hyun Joong shook hands with him.

“I cooked each and every one’s favorite except for erhmm… Hyun Joong. Mianhae. I still don’t know what your favorite food is.” Mrs. Park gave him an apologetic look.

“It’s alright Mrs. Park. It doesn’t really matter. I heard from Shin Hye that your cooking is great so… I guess these will all be my favorite from now on.” He gave her an encouraging smile.

She was touched by his words. However, she still has her bias for Yong Hwa. She knew he liked her daughter the day he first went to their house because she accompanied a wounded Shin Hye.

 

Flashback.

“What happened?!” Mrs. Park became worried after seeing Min Young panting while Shin Hye is being piggybacked by a boy with the same age as Shin Hye.

“Heroine Shin Hye was trying to save a cat afraid to go down from the tree in our school. After saving the cat, she lost her footing while going down. Good thing Yong Hwa was right in time to catch her! Unfortunately, Shin Hye couldn’t stand up because she tripped herself when she got out-of-balance that’s why Yong Hwa carried her on his back.”

“So, you are Yong Hwa, my daughter’s knight in shining armor, eh? Nice to meet you!”

“Eomma!” Shin Hye protested but her Eomma didn’t mind. She felt a bit embarrassed when she sees how her eomoni acts like a giddy teenager.

“Annyeong!” He greeted shyly and bowed down his head.

“Eomma! Not only is he her knight in shining armor, he is also her best friend!”

“Eonni!” But Shin Hye was snapped again by her mother.

“Yong Hwa, thank you so much for saving Shin Hye. As a sign of gratitude, please have dinner with us.” Mrs. Park is really very welcoming. She has a warm personality—very hospitable, that’s why no one can’t say no to her favors.

“Ah, ne.”

“Looks like I already met the man fit for my daughter. Kekeke. They look just right for each other!” Mrs. Park said to herself.

End of flashback.

 

“Yong-ah! Take this! You loved my Korean Beef Stew so much right?! Here’s your share.” Mrs. Park put a big chunk of tender meat on Yong Hwa’s plate.

“Gamsa, Mrs. Park! I love it because this is your cooking!” Yong Hwa never fails to make sweet remarks on Mrs. Park.

Hyun Joong looked at them with slight jealousy. He knew that Mrs. Park had known Shin Hye’s friends too well and really acted as their second mother, especially towards Yong Hwa, her best friend.

 

 

Author’s Note: Mianhae for the long wait for this update. I’m still having this writer’s block ‘til now. Long wait=long update. Hope you'll like it. Kekeke. :)

P.S. HyunMin fans, don’t worry! HyunMin will have their moments also. I just need the right timing to put it in this fic. Please understand. Gomawo!  :)