The Big Swap

Better Late than Never

 

Shin Hye’s POV

Today is the day when I will meet my boyfriend again, Hyun Joong. I can’t sleep last night still thinking about Yong Hwa’s words. But today, at this very moment, I have decided.

Min Young eonni barged in my room while I was combing my hair.

“Shin Hye-ya! Flowers for you!!! Kyaa~! Who could it be from?”

I snatched the bouquet of fresh flowers from her. It was a combination of lavender, pink and white roses. There was a note attached to it but no name.

We need to talk Shin Hye-ya. Please.

Suddenly, I remembered my conversation with Hyun Joong last night. Maybe, he came back already. My heart was thumping really fast. I’m feeling really nervous.

“Gwaenchanha, Shin Hye-ya?”

I didn’t bother to answer my sister for my mind was preoccupied.

“Aigoo! Not answering your eonni’s question, huh?!” She was pouting when she left me alone in my room.

***

This is it. There is no turning back now, Shin Hye-ya. I let out a heavy sigh before entering the pastry shop. He hasn’t arrived yet. As usual, I ordered a slice of sans rival topped with lots of cashews.

As I was about to have a taste of my cake, he was finally standing in front of me.

“It looks delicious. Mind if you let me have a try?” He sat across me and opened his mouth. I fed him my supposedly first slice.

“Mashiseo! I’ll order one of this, maybe later.”

I couldn’t believe what I saw. He’s just acting cool and all. I think he’s not really in the mood for our serious talk. I cleared my throat. It was enough to remind him why we are here.

“Uh… mianhae, Shin Hye-ya. I forgot I have to tell you something.”

“Gwaenchanha. What is it? I also have to tell you something too.”

“Jinja? Well, ladies first.”

“Aniya. You brought it up first so you talk first.”

“Arasseo.”

Before he continued, his mood changed to seriousness. NOW WE’RE TALKING.

“Shin Hye-ya… while we were away with each other, a day will not pass without thinking of you. When you decided that we should have our cool off, I have come to realize things…”

 “Joong-ah…”

He held my hand on the table. Fortunately, the both of us are in our disguise so we are safe.

“You’re right Shin Hye. We needed that break. Just like you, I have realized that maybe… we’re both confused that’s why we are having this zig-zag path in our commitment. You know, we just met while doing a commercial… then we get to know each other in China where we enjoyed each other’s company so much because there aren’t many Koreans there… and then… we hang out together… as an official couple. Well, not yet official to the public… and then I asked you to marry me…’

I gave him a smile to show my affirmation. I’m glad he also realized what I was thinking. He was looking at me with sincerity. I think I already know where this is heading. He let out a sigh before he continued,

“Come to think of it, it all happened in less than a month… Maybe we took it… a little fast… don’t you think?... and then I coincidentally met So Min there in the Philippines… she’s really nice. No wonder why you consider her as your close friend…”

 “You like her… aren’t you?”

I knew it. I saw this coming and I don’t feel bitter or anything alike.

“You’re not… mad?”

 “Ani. Why should I be? What you said were all true. Maybe we just drown into our minds the fact that we are the only one who can understand each other while we were away in our homeland that’s why we thought we have come to love each other… maybe we just like each other and not… love.”

“Then maybe we could start over... as friends?”

I gave him a frown. You should have seen his reaction. It’s as if he was ultimately sad, just like when Jan Di still chose Jun Pyo over him in his previous drama, Boys over Flowers. I let out a laugh and hit his arms.

***

Hyun Joong's POV

 “Of course! By the way, So Min is still NBSB! You better take care of her or else… I treat him as if she is a real sister to me.”

I couldn’t believe Shin Hye. She’s so unpredictable. She liked me for her friend. Phew! Good thing she’s not mad. At least, we ended our relationship as friends.

“Mwo? NBSB?”

“No Boyfriend Since Birth. If you really want to pursue her, go for it. She’s definitely worth it. Hmm… What should I call your pairing from now on… Ah! HyunMin hwaiting!”

“Ya! Maybe you’re also in love with someone else that’s why you want to move on, right?”

I shot her a glare which put her to silence, but I was just kidding.

“Kekeke. It’s Yong Hwa… isn’t it?”

Her chinky eyes grew wide. And not only that, she’s blushing. LOL. She’s really funny. She’s so obvious.

“Aniya!”

“Oh c’mon! Looks like we have to work together to get the twins. Kekeke.”

“Ya! Will you stop it? You can do it on your own!”

End of POV

***

Shin Hye’s POV

We were both laughing when we went out of the shop. He still kept on teasing me to Yong Hwa.

“I’ll take you home.”

“Shirro! That would mean you will still tease me ‘til I got home!”

“Ara. I promise to not tease you anymore until you got out of my car. Is it ok now?”

He offered me a pinky swear before I stepped inside. While he was driving, I remembered the bouquet of roses earlier.

“Oh! I almost forgot. Thank you for the flowers you sent me early this morning. It’s beautiful!”

His brows wrinkled when he heard of it.

“Flowers? I didn’t give you any.”

“So… it’s not from you?”

“Aniya! I just came here four hours ago. I don’t have enough time to buy you some flowers.”

“Who could it be?”

He suddenly gave me a wide grin.

“Oh I know! Maybe it’s from…”

“Shut up! You promised!”

“Why so defensive Shin Hye-ya? I was about to tell you it’s from a FAN! You’re thinking too much. Kekeke.”

“Ya!”

I was about to hit his back when his car stopped.

“And we are here!”

“Thanks for the ride home, Hyun Joong-ah. See you again!”

When I got out of his car, he shouted,

“YongShin hwaiting!”

I gave him my killer glare. I looked around me to check if someone heard it. Phew! There was none. He was laughing nonstop then drove fast before I could scold him. When I entered the house, Min Young already battered me with her questions.

“Looks like you’re in a good mood again! How was it?”

“Ne, eonni. We’re able to fix the situation. We’re finally ok again. If you’ll excuse me, I have to go to my room now.”

I hurried on my way to my room. Good thing I already locked it before she could go inside. Phew! I immediately went to my bouquet of flowers. It smells really sweet. I checked the note once again and examined it.

“Omo! Shin Hye babo! This is… his handwriting.”

Yong Hwa’s right. I never loved Hyun Joong. I only like him.

End of POV

 

Author's Note: I'm afraid this fic is about to come to an end sooner or later so I'm already planning of having another story. If you have any requests, you can read my blog for details. You can send your requests through message, blog comment or wall post. Gomawo! I hope you support me in this. :) Here's the link to my blog: http://www.asianfanfics.com/blog/view/197355