The Not-So-Good News

Better Late than Never

 

So Min’s POV

Today’s the day my brother will confess his true feelings for Shin Hye. I’m really excited for him! I feel giddy just thinking about it sooo… I followed him in the usual fancy bakeshop where he and Shin Hye have their taste of their favorite pastries. I was in my disguise of course! I was wearing this jacket designed like a chicken and have my sunglasses with me. There’s only few people inside the shop. I tried to act as normal as possible so he wouldn’t notice me. I just can’t afford to miss this one!

After my name was called, I immediately went to the counter to have my cup of cappuccino. But then, I bumped into someone and his drink spilled on me. He just came in and went straight to the cashier. Good thing it’s only water.

“Omo! Gwaenchanha?”

“Of course I’m not ok! My clothes are already wet. Gosh!”

“Jeongmal mianhae.”

He got tissues from the cashier and handed them to me.  I was busy wiping my jacket irritatingly while he apologizes nonstop. I was about to give him a glare when I realized it was the worst thing to do. I can’t do that. Not to him. My eyes widened as I melt at his gaze.

“Ki… Kim… Hyun Joong!?”

He smiled at me and it felt like heaven. OhMyGod. Did he just smile at me? I think I’m already ready to die! Kekeke. I regained myself when I realized someone is approaching our way. No. There were two of them. One is Yong Hwa and the other is… Shin Hye.

“Why are you here? You’re following me, aren’t you?”

“I was uhmm... I was… Aish! Wae? Can’t I go here?! I’m craving for their chocolate cake that’s why I went to buy a slice here. It’s one of their best sellers here, don’t you know that?”

“But…”

“Ya Yong! Don’t treat her like that! She’s you twin! So Min-ya! It’s nice to see you again! Kyaaaa! Oh! And you already met Hyun Joong here!” Shin Hye gave me a hug.

I know. I know. I’m not really good enough to cover for myself. Good thing Shin Hye was there so Yong’s attention quickly shifted to her. Phew! But… I can smell something unexpected is coming along the way.

“So, she is So Min. I uh… spilled my water on her Shin Hye-ya. I’m sorry for your friend.” He shifted his gaze on me.

“I’ve heard a lot about you from Shin Hye! You’ve been such a great friend to her. I’m really sorry about earlier.”

“It’s ok! I’m fine. It’s going to dry soon. By the way, I’m a superfan of yours!” I sounded foolishly. I mean, if anyone is in my position right now, a girl in front of her dream guy, who wouldn’t?

End of POV

 

Yong Hwa’s POV

I was early for my meeting with Shin Hye so I sat down in one of the vacant seats in the shop. The door opened. I was hoping it was Shin Hye but it was a guy. He looked familiar. But I didn’t bother to recollect my thoughts because my mind is thinking only about Shin Hye and how will I tell her what I really feel for her. That I am in love with her. And I’m ready to close our deal. The door opened again and it was her. She was happily walking towards my direction. I was smiling at her.

“Annyeong, Yong! Long time no see! It’s nice to be back in Korea!”

“I miss you!”

I stood up and gave her a warm hug. She hugged me back and even patted my shoulder. I pulled the chair for her to sit.

“You’re a gentleman as usual.”

I sat down on my seat. I can see that she seems to be really happy right now. She’s… blooming.

“Shin Hye… there’s something you need to know.”

Before I could continue on my confession, a girl who looked really suspicious shouted at the man who just came in. The guy really felt sorry for what he did. The tension finally stopped when the girl turned to face the guy. Her eyes widened… as well as mine. It was So Min! I should have known earlier! It was the jacket I had given her as Christmas present a couple of years back. I rushed to her and was about to scold her until I realized Shin Hye followed me. She knew the guy. They both knew the guy. It was Kim Hyun Joong... So Min’s ultimate kpop crush!

“Come sit with us, So Min!” Shin Hye invited my twin sister. I really hate her. Why does she have to ruin my plan? I was giving her a glare when I noticed Hyun Joong followed us on our seats. He sat beside Shin Hye. So Min was dumbly smiling at him. He smiled back at her.

“Yong Hwa… what are you about to say?” Shin Hye asked me but I guess today’s not the right time to tell her that. I wanted to tell it to her first, privately.

“Uh… Ah! I was just about to say that I saw your pictures in China and you looked really amazing! Congratulations!”

So Min kicked my leg under the table. I didn’t mind it. I knew Shin Hye would notice if I’m going to react.

“Oh! Gomawo! Anyway… I’m going to tell something to you too.”

“Should I go out first, Shin Hye? I think this is something really important.” So Min was about to stand up when Shin Hye told her there’s no need to do that.

“Since you’re also one of my closest friends So Min-ya, I think you should also be one of the firsts to know.”

“What is it Shin Hye-ya?” So Min asked the question I was about to utter.

“Hyun Joong is already my… jagiya.” Hyun Joong held her hand and sweetly gazed at her. She slightly pinched his cheek with her other hand.

“MWO?” So Min and I said in chorus.

“Since when?” I tried to sound as normal as possible. So Min was still left in shock.

“Well… it’s as if everything happened in a blink of an eye. We were both in China for TGC and we immediately became close to each other. The night after the runway event, he confessed to me that he likes me so much and that he wanted me to be his girlfriend. I also feel the same way about him so I quickly said YES. After all, he is Kim Hyun Joong. Who wouldn’t like someone like him? He’s nice and sweet…”

“You’re too sweet too Shin Hye-ya!” He squeezed her hand and it made her blush. I remember the night when we celebrated her birthday. That was the same reaction she had given me right after I kissed her cheek.

Hyun Joong noticed So Min looked petrified after hearing all that Shin Hye said.

“So Min-ssi, gwaenchanha?”

She regained herself. But unlike earlier, she looked really down and excused herself for she wanted to go to the restroom.

“She doesn’t seem to feel good right now. I’ll follow her.” Shin Hye excused herself too.

Hyun Joong and I were left on the table. He’s just too good. He looks really nice and friendly. I can feel no tension between us.

“So, you’re So Min’s twin brother? You don’t look very much like each other, even your attitudes.”

“We’re fraternal twins. As people say, twins really tend to act as each other’s opposite.”

“I also heard a lot of good things about you from Shin Hye! You have been such a good friend of her too. To tell you the truth, I was kinda jealous when I saw your closeness with each other. You look really great together. Tsk! Have you ever dated her?”

“Ani. We’re really just good friends. We’re the best friends, actually. She is just my chingu, so rest assured.”

That’s all I could say. It felt like my tongue was betraying my heart. It was as if I was stabbing myself. But deep inside I was grinning like a Cheshire cat when I heard the word ‘jealous’. I wanted to tell him that he’s not the only person who had told us that we make a perfect pair and that I was about to take a step higher from our relationship but that didn’t happen because he showed up! I wanted to punch him on the face. I really wanted to hate him for stealing the girl I liked and… have come to love for SEVEN LONG YEARS. I want to but I can’t. It was my entire fault. If only I had told earlier… maybe things would be a lot more different.

End of POV