The Payment for Taemin

The Prince and The Thief

 

               I was almost there! I could even see the house! It was a big, white house, but still pretty much ruined, and ready to collapse at any minute. All the houses were like that around here.

               I took a step closer to the house, just five minutes left before midnight. I checked if I had the money, and they were lying safely in my pocket.

               “It’s Taemin oppa!” I heard a voice say, when I saw a little girl in the window. It was Ae. She had long, dark hair, which nearly went all the way down to her ankles.

               “Taemin hyung!” a boy yelled from the window. He was standing next to Ae. The boy’s name was Joon. He had short, black, spikey hair. The both of them were about eight years old, and they were just two of the many children who lived in the house.

               ”Annyeong!” I yelled as I stepped inside the house. Even though it was midnight, all the children in the house were awake, and had been waiting for me to come. It was the same thing every single week at this time.

               “Oppa! Hyung!” the children yelled and ran to me. They immediately hugged my legs. All the children were younger than ten years old. It was an old orphanage, which didn’t have any money left, since the town stopped paying them, and the owner became too old to work.

               “Taemin, it’s so nice to see you again,” the old woman said, who owned the place. She was always so kind and warm-hearted. I smiled to her and bowed.

               “Annyeong ahjumma. I got the money for the taxes here,” I said and smiled. She sighed with a small smile on her lips.

               ”Thank you, Taemin. I didn’t know what to do without you,” she said. It made me happy to see, that the children were in good hands. The children were good at helping the ahjumma. They even got some small jobs to get money for their food.

               “Where’s the money?!” the well-known, harsh voice said. It was midnight, and Manhae was standing in the doorway with his two lifeguards. His eyes had the same, cold stare, as always.

               ”Here,” I said shortly and cold, and handed him the thick bundle of money. He took them and started to count them with that cruel smile on his lips. I hated him so damn much! If God ever wanted to listen to a silly thief’s prayers, then I would be glad if he would punish that cruel man.

               “Say… Since you’re getting the money for this family, then aren’t you technically living here as well?” one of the lifeguards asked while looking at me. I raised an eyebrow at him. Manhae immediately looked at me and crossed his arms.

                “He’s right, and there are just the taxes for the small kids and the ahjumma,” Manhae said with an evil smirk.

               ”W-What?! You already got my tax! You got it at Key’s and Jonghyung’s place!” I yelled angrily and clenched my fists.

               “I don’t remember that,” Manhae lied. He knew who I was. It was always me, who he would like to fool and use! It was always me, just because I had a face like a girl, and people always called me “Beautiful”.

               “So… What do you say? Are you gonna pay in a different way?” Manhae asked and stepped next to me. I pulled a little away from him, but his lifeguards surrounded me already.

               “Oppa!” Ae screamed terrified and grabbed my leg. Joon grabbed my other leg, and the lifeguards looked at Manhae with wry smirks.

               “Should we just bring him, boss?” one of the lifeguards asked. Manhae gave a nod while his gaze still was kept on my body.

               “Leave that poor boy alone!” the ahjumma begged. The lifeguards roughly pushed her away, while they pulled me out of the house. Ae and Joong were pushed away as well.

               “Oppa! Hyung!” the children screamed as I was being dragged away.

               ”D-Don’t worry! Oppa will be back in a week!” I yelled and tried to smile a little. It was a forced smile, and even the children could see that.

               “Don’t count on surviving this with your psyche intact,” I heard Manhae whisper to me with that cruel smirk of his. It was just then I became really scared.

The pictures of my father were playing inside of my head like a horror movie.

”A-Aniyo! Appa!!”