Confessions

Happy Go Lucky Tae

In the morning I was confused when my limbs were restricted. Then I saw Taemin's perfect features right beside my face and I remembered. Taemin had stayed over.

"Taemin-ah?" I whispered. He seemed to be dreaming. His breathing was soft and steady, a small smile fixed on his face. Unwilling to disturb this sleeping angel, I began to wriggle out of his arms, careful not to wake him. I was just about to hop out of bed when he called out to me.

"Jihyun?"

I spun round.

"Where are you going?" He pulled me back with one swoop of his arm. I giggled.

"Stay here, Jihyun," he murmered, cheekily.

I protested, "I was going to go make us some coffee.

"I'd rather you stayed here and kept me company," he my hair.

"Woah, Taemin-ah."

"No! Not like that, silly," he chuckled. He propped himself up on a pillow. "I never get to stay the whole night, I want to enjoy this morning. Did you sleep well?"

I thought about it. I'd slept perfectly. Infact, it was one of the best nights sleep I'd ever had. Without having the desire to share this information, I decided to respond nonchalantly.

"Mhmm, did you?"

"Yeah..." He looked like he would fall asleep any second.

"You okay, Taemin-ah?"

He assured me he was fine but I wasn't convinced; Taemin could be so reserved at times.

He laughed, "Look at your hair, Jihyun."

"What?"

"It's all... sticky-outy and stuff."

"Yeah?  Well, so is yours. Infact, you look like a lion, Taemin-ah."

He let out a low chuckle. "No, Jihyun, you look like a lion."

I growled and we carried on this immature name calling until my stomach actually replicated my earlier growl.

"Ooh, we'd better get you fed."


We padded downstairs and I dutifully made two cups of coffee as Taemin decided on what to make for breakfast. Taemin was not the most reliable of people, even at his best, but I trusted he could make this simple dish so I left him, with the intent to freshen up a little.

I hadn't been gone long when I heard scuffling and grunting from the kitchen. I popped my head around the doorframe.

"Everything okay?"

"I can't get this stupid piece of machinery to work..." He stood helplessly infront of the rice cooker, fiddling with buttons and not making any progress. Examining the scene, I burst into rupturous laughter.

"Yah! What?"

"Oh, Taemin-ah!" I spluttered through my laughter. "You've not plugged it in," I said, dangling the plug infront of his face. He frowned and mumbled something inaudible. I hugged his waist and squeezed him affectionately.

Taemin was rather quiet over breakfast but he soon perked up after he'd had some caffeine and eaten.

"When are you leaving, Taemin-ah?"

He looked shocked. "Why?" he gasped.

"I'm not kicking you out, I was just curious. You can stay as long as you like," I assured him with a smile.

"...You're cheesy." I jabbed his ribs with my elbow. He pretended to be hurt and then winked at me, reminding me of that first day I had seen him in the park. How uneasy I'd felt then, and how carefree I felt now.

"So," he yawned. "What are we doing today?"


"Where are we going?" Taemin said in a sing-song voice.

"Just wait and see, Taemin-ah. Learn some patience."

"Argh..."

I had decided to take Taemin out instead of staying cooped up in the house. I knew how restless he could get.

As we walked, the soft sound of crunching leaves beneath our feet reminded us of how quickly the winter months were approaching. With no set destination in mind, I led towards the river so we could walk down there.

"You disappearing today then or..?" I glanced quickly in Taemin's direction to see his reaction.

"Jihyun!" He looked hurt. "That's unfair," he moaned, and I linked my arm with his as he pouted.

"You always leave..."

"That's true, but I never want to."

"Then why do you? " I was unaware that the volume of my voice was rising.

"It's tricky..."

Exasperated, I whimpered, "You're such a mystery. Sometimes I think I know you so well and other times I feel like I don't have a clue who you are..." I was confessing in the hope that Taemin might actually unload some answers.

He stopped walking when I finished speaking and my arm jerked me back around to face him for it was still twisted around his. He was silent for a few moments as he looked straight into my eyes.

"You really feel that way?"

I nodded.

"Christ, Jihyun. I had no idea."

He took my hands and started to say, "If I said I thought we weren't close enough for me to tell you things, I'd be lying. You're the closest friend I've ever had, Jihyun. I treasure you so much and I love spending time with you. We've only known eachother for a short while but you've made me really happy and I feel totally protective over you. It's odd really, I've never- hey, are you crying?"

I hadn't noticed the tears rolling down my cheeks until now.

"Aw, why are you crying? Please don't cry." He pulled me closed and locked me in a tight hug. He comforted me as I rested my head against his chest and breathed in his heady scent.

"Are you sad? What's wrong?"

"No, I'm okay, really," I sniffled.

"...You don't look okay. Please tell me, Jihyun."

"Taemin-ah, what you just said to me meant more to me than anything. Nobody has ever said anything like that to me before and-"

He shushed me and my hair. He loosened his grip on me and gently wiped away my remaining tears with his thumbs.

"You don't have to explain any more." He placed one arm protectively around my shoulders and I clung onto his waist and laid my head on his side as we continued to walk.

"No running off today then?"

"No running off," Taemin nodded.

"What about tomorrow?"

"Don't worry, Jihyun. I'll always be around. Jihyun and Taemin forever right?"

His words sent my emotions into overdrive. They scared me. But I liked them.

"Right?"

I realised I hadn't replied yet.

"Oh. Yeah, forever..."