Recollection

Sovereignty

A/N: This chapter is a little shorter than normal, don't really know what happened there! But future chapters will more than make up for it :)
As always, comments and feedback are appreciated.

 



Kyuhyun and Leeteuk were walking hand in hand in a comfortable silence until Kyuhyun’s pace slowed. His nose twitched slightly when an all too familiar scent of blood hit him, as though it was Leeteuk bleeding beside him, but when he recognised the scent his blood ran cold.

“Kyuhyun? What’s wrong?” Leeteuk asked when he noticed the colour seem to drain from Kyuhyun’s face. Kyuhyun frowned.

“I smell blood... It’s, familiar...”

After walking for a few more minutes Kyuhyun and Leeteuk approached a small side street being guarded by two police cars. Several police officers were scattered around the street, some guarding the opposite entrance to the street, others standing around talking, but both Kyuhyun and Leeteuk quickly noticed the forensics team located to the left of the street.

Kyuhyun’s grip on Leeteuk’s hand tightened when his eyes scanned the side street and landed on a familiar long red coat on the floor.

“Officer, what happened?” Leeteuk asked softly and one of the police officers looked up from his notepad.

“I’m sorry sir, I cannot disclose that information to you at this time”

“We live just around the corner from here, surely if somebody has been hurt nearby we have a right to know if we could be in danger?” Leeteuk spoke calmly but with a stern voice and the officer let out a small sigh.

“I shouldn’t be telling you this but... A young woman was murdered at some point today. We don’t have a time of death as of yet but it looks to be a vampire attack”

“V-vampire?” Kyuhyun mumbled, his voice breaking slightly as he spoke. “How do you know?”

“She has a deep bite wound on her neck with two large puncture holes. I think this is an isolated incident but you should keep your eyes open while you’re out and about for anything suspicious, especially since you live close by.”

“I think I know her…” Kyuhyun mumbled without thinking as he made sure to keep his fangs hidden the best that he could “She asked me for directions this morning but she was fine when we went our separate ways” he lied. The young prince couldn’t understand what had happened to the young woman he had met on his way back home that morning. He attacked her but he let her go afterwards… didn’t he?

“I’m sorry, you were with this woman earlier today?” The officer asked and Kyuhyun nodded.

“What time approximately?”

“I’m not sure. Maybe 11 am. I was on my way back home from a meeting. She asked me for directions to the train station because she didn’t know the area. I walked her to the end of the street, pointed her in the right direction and that was the last time I saw her”

“And may I ask, where have you been since?” The officer questioned and Kyuhyun tensed. Leeteuk frowned a little before he let out a sigh.

“He’s been with me all day. I walked to meet him on his way home and saw her leaving, she was fine, we’ve been together for the rest of the day though.”

“Okay, thank you for your help. We may need to talk to you again if anything comes up. If you’d just write down your phone number and address it would be much appreciated.”

Leeteuk gave a gentle nod of his head and released Kyuhyun’s hand for a few moments to scribble his number and address down onto the officer’s notebook before the pair continued their walk to the party.
 

As they walked Kyuhyun’s mind was focused on the woman in the red coat. He had fed from her that morning and now she was dead, it couldn’t have been a coincidence.

“Why did you lie to them?” He asked Leeteuk quietly as he linked arms with the angel to walk closer to him. Leeteuk smiled softly before pressing a small kiss to Kyuhyun’s cheek.

“Because we don’t need the police asking questions and jumping to the conclusion that you killed her, Kyu.”

“What if I did?” Kyuhyun asked and Leeteuk frowned as he came to a halt.

“Kyu, you said you let her go” Leeteuk hissed but when he noticed the sad frown on Kyuhyun’s face he pulled the younger man into a hug.

“I did” Kyuhyun mumbled but he shook his head just seconds later “But she only has one bite… What if I killed her but I don’t remember?” Leeteuk cupped Kyuhyun’s face in his hands and brushed his thumbs over the younger’s cheeks. He hated that Kyuhyun was blaming himself for the woman’s death but there was only one way that Leeteuk knew how to find out the truth about what happened, or at the very least find out whether Kyuhyun had killed her.

“Stop blaming yourself, okay? I know how we can figure this out but we have to get to the party and speak to Changmin. He can search your memory from this morning and figure out what happened. But I don’t think you killed her, Kyu. So please don’t think that.”
 

When Kyuhyun and Leeteuk arrived at the arts centre, where the party was being held, the guard standing by the door smiled as he silently stepped aside to allow the pair entry. Leeteuk thanked the guard with a small smile as they walked inside. The hallway leading up to the auditorium was dimly lit with strings of lights on either side of the hall and a black carpet leading towards the large double doors. Leeteuk and Kyuhyun made their way through doors and through the auditorium and towards the stage where Changmin, Sungmin and Emperor Lee were all gathered talking quietly amongst themselves. The auditorium was still relatively quiet but more and more people were beginning to filter in, putting Kyuhyun on edge. As they reached the end of the stage, passing the table reserved for them, Leeteuk cleared his throat.

“Changmin I need to speak to you.” Changmin looked up with a smile but when he ran his eyes over both Leeteuk and Kyuhyun, noticing the bleak look on the young prince's face, his smile fell.

“What's wrong, Leeteuk?” He asked as Leeteuk stepped up onto the stage and pulled Kyuhyun with him.

“We need you to search Kyuhyun’s memory from this morning... I know it isn't something you like to do but it's urgent”

“What's going on? What happened?”Emperor Lee asked and Leeteuk sighed.

“I think I killed someone” Kyuhyun mumbled making Emperor Lee frown. Sungmin glanced from Kyuhyun to his father but kept his mouth shut. Anything he wanted to say in response to what Kyuhyun had just told them would not be taken lightly.

“You don't know?” Changmin asked and when Kyuhyun shook his head, Leeteuk spoke.

“I don't think he did but we need to be sure.”

“I fed on a woman this morning after leaving here…I was angry and upset and it just kind of happened” Kyuhyun mumbled as he glanced at Sungmin “We found out on our way here, she's dead. The police found her body in the same street where I attacked her. I thought I let her go but… she had only one bite mark. I don't know what happened anymore.” Leeteuk squeezed Kyuhyun’s hand reassuringly but both Emperor Lee and Sungmin frowned.

“We'll figure it out, Kyuhyun, don't worry. Take a set for me” Changmin smiled. Kyuhyun let go of Leeteuk’s hand and moved to sit down on the side of the stage and Changmin sat beside him. “Close your eyes, Kyuhyun, and try to relax your mind. This won't hurt but it may feel a little uncomfortable. When you're ready, take my hand” Changmin spoke softly and Kyuhyun nodded. He breathed in deeply and exhaled before taking Changmin’s hand and closing his eyes.

As soon as Changmin took Kyuhyun’s hand the young demon's memories and feelings from the day played through his head at a fast speed. When Changmin had found the memory Kyuhyun had told him to go back to, the pictures slowed and suddenly Kyuhyun was reliving the morning again in his head. Changmin focused through the memory and his grip on Kyuhyun’s hand tightened for a moment as his closed eyes twitched and he in a sharp breath. Everything that Kyuhyun had felt throughout that morning was now projected into the angel's mind, something Changmin wasn't used to when it came to demons. He felt the anger and frustration that Kyuhyun had felt as a result of Sungmin’s attitude towards the young demon. He saw the woman in the red coat and felt Kyuhyun’s growing hunger as she walked ahead of him. Kyuhyun tensed when Changmin focused solely on that part of his memory and Leeteuk frowned.

“He found her” Leeteuk spoke softly. Sungmin and Emperor Lee shifted in their seats, waiting for Kyuhyun and Changmin to be finished. Everyone was nervous to see what Changmin could find within Kyuhyun’s memories of that morning but Leeteuk refused to believe that Kyuhyun was responsible for the woman’s death.

Changmin pushed further through Kyuhyun’s memory. His throat began to burn as Kyuhyun’s hunger towards the woman quickly became his own. When Kyuhyun pushed the woman against the wall, Changmin could feel everything the young prince was feeling at that moment. Anger, sadness, frustration, regret, but the strongest feeling was hunger. Changmin swallowed hard but when Kyuhyun pulled away from the woman, and she ran away, the angel breathed out a sigh of relief. Kyuhyun smiled sadly and Changmin pushed the memories forward until the young prince was back home with Leeteuk.
 

After a couple of moments of silence, Changmin released his grip on Kyuhyun’s hand and opened his eyes.

“It wasn’t Kyuhyun. She was indeed alive when he left her” He spoke softly and Leeteuk smiled as he squeezed Kyuhyun’s shoulder gently. Kyuhyun opened his eyes and let out a small sigh. Reliving that moment made the young prince feel the guilt he had felt that morning but the reassurance that he hadn’t been the one to kill her took a weight off his mind. Changmin shifted and turned to Kyuhyun before he rested a hand on the demon's shoulder and smiled.

“I am proud of you. What you felt in that moment and what you continue to feel every day of your life...Your willpower and strength amaze me, Kyuhyun. I have never met anyone with the strength to resist blood as you do.” Changmin spoke softly and Kyuhyun shrugged. Sungmin narrowed his eyes as Changmin spoke, the confusion evident in his face.

“I don’t really have a choice” Kyuhyun mumbled in an annoyed tone and Leeteuk let out a soft chuckle. “If I give into it I become a monster and I lose everyone and everything I care about. I don’t want that.”

“If Kyuhyun didn’t kill her, do you know who did?” Emperor Lee asked and Changmin sighed.

“No, my lord. I’m afraid the only way to find that out is to either search her memories or the memories of the demon who killed her, and I cannot search her memories if she is dead. I’m sorry.” Emperor Lee gave a gentle nod of his head before Sungmin spoke.

“Changmin, you felt all of that?” Sungmin asked quietly and Changmin smiled. “I didn’t know that was possible.”

“It isn’t something I use often, and never without the person’s permission. It’s invasive and can damage the mind of someone who isn’t willing. Memories are a precious part of the mind.” Sungmin nodded as he pulled his bottom lip between his teeth. He was curious as to how Kyuhyun felt around them, and how strong the prince’s hunger really was.

“What does it feel like?” Sungmin asked quietly and Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow.

“It feels like hell” The young demon prince laughed softly and Leeteuk smiled before pressing a kiss to his temple.

“And yet you handle it so well, my love.” Kyuhyun smiled and squeezed Leeteuk’s knee before Changmin spoke.

“I can show you if you’d like, my lord? That is if Kyuhyun is okay with it?” Changmin asked and Kyuhyun shrugged.

“I don’t mind, it’s completely up to him. I don’t think he’d be able to handle it, no offence Sungmin.”

“I want to see, I need to understand.” Sungmin glanced towards his father as if to ask his permission and Emperor Lee smiled, giving a small nod of his head.
 

Sungmin shifted to sit beside Changmin before he held out his hand for Changmin to take. There was no specific moment in Kyuhyun’s memories for Changmin to focus on this time, instead, he focused on how Kyuhyun felt right then. Kyuhyun looked up at Leeteuk and smiled as he wrapped his arm around Leeteuk’s leg.

“Are you both ready?” Changmin asked as he took both of their hands and when Kyuhyun nodded silently, followed by Sungmin nodding his head, Changmin closed his eyes. When Sungmin felt Kyuhyun’s feelings suddenly flood his mind his grip on Changmin’s hand tightened. There was a sudden rush of anxiousness that he had thought was his own but when the anxiousness faded and was replaced with a hunger, stronger than he had ever felt, the light prince frowned. He swallowed as the hunger grew, making his mouth water and his throat ache. Changmin focused and Sungmin felt just a fraction of Kyuhyun’s love for Leeteuk. It was a feeling, unlike anything he had felt or seen before and made his relationship with Siwon feel like it was nothing but a one night stand. Kyuhyun’s love and devotion to Leeteuk made Sungmin’s heart ache. It was a love that he had longed for, but a love he had never received. When Changmin opened his eyes after several minutes, the connection between the three broke. Kyuhyun was calm and his expression unchanged but when they looked to Sungmin there was an obvious look of distress on the princes’ face.

“You feel that every day of your life? How do you deal with the hunger?” Sungmin asked and Kyuhyun laughed softly “What’s so funny?”

“My lord, what I just showed you isn’t what Kyuhyun feels in regards to our location” Changmin started before he looked between Kyuhyun and Leeteuk with a smile. “What you just felt is what Kyuhyun feels when he is around Leeteuk…”

“Only Leeteuk?!” Sungmin’s eyes widened and when he looked at Kyuhyun the demon prince smiled sheepishly “How are you so calm? I’ve never felt anything like that before, even for those few moments the hunger was overwhelming.”

“And that was only a part of it, my lord.” Changmin offered Sungmin his hand again but there was an obvious look of uncertainty in the angel’s face. “I can show you everything if you want? I won’t hold back. I’ll let you feel what Kyuhyun feels right now.”

“Are you sure he can handle it?” Kyuhyun asked with a soft chuckle. He had grown up with the hunger that Sungmin was feeling for the very first time. He would be lying if he said it wasn’t hard to be around Leeteuk but Kyuhyun’s love, and his need to protect the angel, was stronger than his hunger would ever be.

“No.. it’s alright. I’m not sure I want to feel anymore if that was only a small part of it. Your hunger scares me, Kyuhyun. How do you know that you won’t snap and hurt people?” Sungmin asked and Kyuhyun shrugged as he stood from the stage.

“I don’t. The only thing I have to stop that from happening is control, willpower, and a desire to not become a monster. This hunger is a part of who I am, it always has been and it will never stop being a part of me. The only thing I can do is control it.”
 

Sungmin stood from the stage and almost launched himself at Kyuhyun before he wrapped his arms tightly around the demon prince. Kyuhyun tensed instantly, his arms freezing by his sides as his mouth hovered dangerously close to the angel’s neck.

“Sungmin, this isn’t helping” Kyuhyun mumbled in a quiet voice as he swallowed hard but Sungmin didn’t move.

“I’m sorry for everything, Kyuhyun. I’m sorry for judging you, I’m sorry for using my blood against you, I’m sorry for always hurting your feelings. I’ve been so horrible to you.”

“That’s fine but… let go” Kyuhyun mumbled with a low growl leaving the back of his throat as his mouth twitched, his fangs just millimetres from Sungmin’s skin.

“Leeteuk…” Emperor Lee spoke calmly but before Leeteuk could react Changmin grabbed both Kyuhyun and Sungmin’s hands and closed his eyes. He focused his mind on Kyuhyun and the way he felt at that moment. Sungmin’s throat began to burn and his stomach twisted painfully with hunger like a knife had been twisted in his gut. He let go of Kyuhyun and stepped backwards, raising one hand to his throat and the other to his stomach.

“Oh god, I’m sorry! I didn’t think! I’m so sorry, Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun bent over and rested his hands on his knees as he breathed deeply to try and calm himself. It had taken every ounce of his willpower to avoid biting Sungmin and it showed. His arms were shaking as he clutched at the fabric of his trousers, his eyes glowing a bright shade of red.

“That was stupid of you, Sungmin” Leeteuk frowned before he leaned down and took Kyuhyun’s hand, squeezing it tightly.

“Come on, Kyuhyun. Let’s go outside, you need some air.” Kyuhyun nodded silently as he stood up and glanced at Emperor Lee, Sungmin and Changmin before mouthing the words ‘i’m sorry’.

“Don’t apologise, Kyuhyun, you did nothing wrong. I’m the one who’s sorry” Sungmin smiled sadly before Leeteuk pulled Kyuhyun gently in the direction of one of the side doors.
 

Kyuhyun breathed deeply the second he and Leeteuk stepped outside. It was a cool night and the cool fresh air was a welcomed change for the demon prince. As he stood in the doorway Leeteuk stood behind the young prince and gently rubbed his shoulders. Kyuhyun’s whole body was tense and Leeteuk frowned.

“That was so stupid of him. I'm proud of you though, baby. You could have bitten him but you didn't, I know that wasn't easy”

“Sungmin felt it. He felt how close I was to hurting him, that's why he let go of me. I'm glad because I don't think I could have resisted any longer.” As Leeteuk continued to rub Kyuhyun’s shoulders the younger man began to relax. Being out in the open and away from a couple of hundred angels and humans was a huge help and made the world of difference to the young prince but when Kyuhyun turned around his eyes still held a red glow.

“Your eyes are still red. Are you hungry?” Leeteuk asked and Kyuhyun shrugged.

“I don't know why I'm so hungry today. No matter how many times I feed, I’m hungry again in a couple of hours”

“Being at the party won't help. There’s too much pure blood around you” Leeteuk mumbled softly before he pulled Kyuhyun down to a part of the street sheltered from the majority of the light. Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow before cornering the angel against the wall with a small smirk playing on his lips.

“Did you just want to get me out here alone?” he asked with a hum but when Leeteuk smiled and began ing several buttons of his shirt Kyuhyun blinked.

“Of course. I always want you alone. But” Leeteuk paused and pulled down his shirt and jacket, exposing his right shoulder. “You need to feed and it needs to be hidden. Blood on my clothes will make people at the party uneasy so, be tidy about it.” Kyuhyun ran his thumb across the skin of Leeteuk’s shoulder before leaning in to kiss the angel softly.

“You're too good to me, you know that, right?”

“I know. Now stop talking and bite me” Leeteuk chuckled softly. Kyuhyun’s eyes darkened and a low growl left his throat as he kissed along the length of Leeteuk’s shoulder. Leeteuk shivered under Kyuhyun’s touch and when one of the young demon's arms wrapped around his waist, Leeteuk closed his eyes. Kyuhyun brought his hand up to rest on Leeteuk’s neck before his fangs found purchase in the angel's shoulder. It was a different feeling to when Kyuhyun bit his neck but it was still a feeling that made Leeteuk’s eyes flutter closed and a small moan slip past his lips. Kyuhyun bit down harder in an attempt to make Leeteuk moan louder and when he did, Kyuhyun’s hold around his waist tightened as he drank. To anyone who passed by the street the interaction between the young couple would seem like one of two things. Some people would see a couple making out in the darkness, others would see a demon feeding from a poor defenceless human, but the atmosphere around Leeteuk and Kyuhyun was very different. Leeteuk's breath was heavy as he breathed deeply while the young demon fed. Kyuhyun’s bite sent sparks of pleasure through the angel's body and Kyuhyun felt it. He slipped his hand beneath the waistband of Leeteuk’s trousers and settled it on the angel’s lower back as he continued to drink.
 

After a couple of minutes, Kyuhyun retracted his fangs and ran his tongue over Leeteuk’s shoulder before he moved his left hand off the angel’s neck and threaded his fingers gently in his hair. Leeteuk let go of his shirt and jacket and smiled before he pressed his forehead against Kyuhyun’s and opened his eyes. Kyuhyun’s eyes held a slight glow but were back to their usual purple colour.

“Have I told you lately how much I love your moans?” Kyuhyun asked in a quiet voice as he his fangs clean before capturing Leeteuk’s lips. Leeteuk instantly wrapped his arms around Kyuhyun’s neck as he melted into the kiss, tasting his own blood on the young prince's tongue. As Kyuhyun pulled back he ran his tongue along Leeteuk’s lower lip and a low growl left his throat.

“You might have, once or twice” Leeteuk hummed and pressed himself closer to Kyuhyun before he spoke softly “About that reward..”

“I know. I’ve probably..” Kyuhyun began but when one of Leeteuk’s hands trailed down the younger man’s chest and stomach before stilling at his belt, Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow.

“ the reward, you’ll still get it later” Leeteuk hissed and Kyuhyun couldn’t help but smirk as he pressed Leeteuk against the wall again, his lips ghosting the angel’s jawline.

“I’d rather you” He purred, earning a shiver from the older man. Leeteuk pushed Kyuhyun backwards before taking his hand and threading their fingers together.

“Not here.”
 

Leeteuk lead the pair back inside of the building, avoiding both guards and guests alike but as they approached the door to the auditorium, where the party was being held, he turned right down a smaller hallway and approached several closed doors. The building they were in was usually used for concerts and theatre performances and Leeteuk new the layout all too well. He pushed open the door closest to them and pulled Kyuhyun inside before locking the door behind the younger. The rooms were average in size and were used as dressing rooms whenever a theatre performance was being held. The room housed a large open wardrobe, a dressing table with a mirror attached as well as two large sofas. Kyuhyun glanced around the room with a small smirk playing on his lips before he removed his hand from Leeteuk’s and slipped an arm around the angel’s waist.

“So what happened to me having to behave myself until later?” Kyuhyun asked but Leeteuk frowned as he wrapped his fingers around the lapels on Kyuhyun’s blazer and pulled him close.

“Stop talking” He whispered before he pressed his lips against the younger man's. Kyuhyun smirked against Leeteuk’s lips as he felt the angel tug at his jacket in an attempt to pull it off his shoulders. He shrugged the jacket off and Leeteuk let out a satisfied hum before Kyuhyun kicked it to the side and out of their way. His mind momentarily wandered to the engagement ring in his blazer pocket but when Leeteuk tugged on his hair he growled, focusing all of his attention back on the angel. Kyuhyun’s hands moved to the front of Leeteuk’s shirt in an instant and as he started ing the buttons, Leeteuk unbuckled Kyuhyun’s belt and pulled it free before dropping it to the floor.

“I hate buttons” Kyuhyun grumbled as he finished ing Leeteuk’s shirt but when he was finished he smiled almost proudly before pulling the angel's shirt and blazer off a the same time. Leeteuk mewled when Kyuhyun’s lips attached to his neck and moved painfully slow against the skin but each sound Leeteuk made just urged the young prince to continue. Kyuhyun’s hands settled on Leeteuk’s hips as his thumbs brushed over the skin above Leeteuk’s trousers, earning a small shiver from the older man. In one quick movement, Leeteuk was pressed between Kyuhyun’s body and the wall once again, the younger man's lips never leaving the angels neck as they moved.
 

A string of quiet moans mixed with Leeteuk’s heavy breaths as Kyuhyun kissed the expanse of the angels neck, his hands roaming his chest and stomach. Leeteuk’s hand slipped between their bodies and when he pressed his hand to the front of Kyuhyun’s trousers the young demon let out a low growl, sending vibrations along the angel's neck.

“You seem more needy than usual. Not that I'm complaining, I like you like this” Kyuhyun chuckled lowly against Leeteuk’s jaw as the angel began to pull at the buttons of the younger man's shirt. He moved his lips to the angel's ear as he continued to speak. “Frustrated, needy, at just the smallest of touches” He hummed as he pressed his hips against Leeteuk’s, earning a moan from the older man. “You love this, don't you? You love the slow build, the teasing, knowing what comes at the end.” Kyuhyun smirked at his own words as Leeteuk let out a shuddered breath, the youngers words going straight to his crotch.

Leeteuk hummed softly in reply when he pulled open Kyuhyun’s shirt, his hands instantly running over the faint muscles of his stomach and chest before his nails followed.

“It's been a long day alright. Now shut up and kiss me”

“Of course” Kyuhyun purred against Leeteuk’s ear as he moved his hands to the back of Leeteuk’s thighs before picking the angel up. Leeteuk instantly wrapped his legs around Kyuhyun’s waist as he kissed the young demon but when Kyuhyun moved over to the sofa and dropped Leeteuk down, the angel let out a small and startled squeak. Kyuhyun hovered over Leeteuk with a small smirk tugging at his lips as his hand roamed down Leeteuk’s stomach before his fingers dipped beneath the waistband of his trousers, making Leeteuk shiver beneath his touch.

“Don't worry, my love. I'll do all of that and more, a lot more."