Awakening

Sovereignty

A/N: Sorry for the delay in this chapter going live again guys. I'm trying to keep updates consistant but writing is at a standstill right now and has been for weeks. Thank you for always being great and ever so patient. There's a lot of crazy stuff happening right now, I hope everyone is staying safe and keeping healthy!
As always, comments and feedback are appreciated.

 


 

The sun was rising over Abaddon when Kyuhyun finally awoke. The sky was red with streaks of oranges, pinks and yellows, casting a soft glow through the windows of the room. The room around him was silent apart from the steady beeping of the monitor beside him. 

Kyuhyun swallowed uncomfortably, his throat was sore, his mouth dry and his whole body ached but much to his surprise he was in very little pain. When he opened his eyes, his vision was fuzzy, fading in and out of focus before he was finally able to focus his eyes. As he looked around the room he noticed a pillow and blanket on the large sofa at the side of the room by one of the windows and when he felt a weight shift beside him he turned his head and smiled. Leeteuk was sat on a chair pulled close to the side of the bed with his head and his arm resting in a space beside Kyuhyun. The young prince slowly moved his left arm, raising it a little, before he Leeteuk’s hair. The angel groaned quietly as he woke from his slumber but when Kyuhyun’s hand stilled, Leeteuk raised his head. Leeteuk smiled brightly and instantly took Kyuhyun’s hand in his own before pressing a long lingering kiss to the back of it.
“Hey, welcome back. How are you feeling?” Leeteuk asked and Kyuhyun frowned. 

“Where am I?” Kyuhyun asked as he struggled to make his voice loud enough to be heard. 

“You're in the hospital, Kyu. ZhouMi had to operate”

“Okay now?” He mumbled and Leeteuk smiled as he gently squeezed the younger man's hand.
“You're okay. You just need to rest so you can heal.”

Kyuhyun closed his eyes briefly and when he opened them again he looked around before settling his vision on Leeteuk. He ran his eyes over the angel’s face but when saw the bandage wrapped around Leeteuk’s neck he frowned again. 

“I hurt you” he whispered as he moved his hand to touch the angel’s cheek. Leeteuk smiled as tears ran from his eyes and when Kyuhyun’s hand touched his cheek he sighed and held it in place, leaning into Kyuhyun’s touch. 

“Don't worry about me, baby. You did what you had to do and you stopped at the right time. I'm alright, I promise. I’m just happy you’re awake.”

“I'm sorry” Tears pricked at the corner of Kyuhyun’s eyes and Leeteuk frowned as he reached up to gently wipe Kyuhyun’s eyes.

“Hey, you're the reason I'm still here, don't cry.”

Kyuhyun gave a small nod of his head before he groaned and raised his hand to the bandage on his neck. He caught sight of his arm as he moved. There was a large bandage wrapped around the knife wound on his forearm and when Kyuhyun saw it he sighed. He reached up to the oxygen mask over his nose and mouth, attempting to pull it off, but Leeteuk stopped him.
“Keep it on, Kyu, please” Leeteuk spoke softly and Kyuhyun nodded.  

“Asleep... How long?” The young prince croaked out before he paused and swallowed.
“ZhouMi kept you sedated after surgery in order for your body to stabilise and heal. You've been in a medically induced coma for almost three days.” 

“My throat hurts”
“You’ve been on a ventilator to help you breathe, the tube would have irritated your throat but it’ll pass. Do you want some water?” Leeteuk asked and Kyuhyun nodded. Leeteuk poured a glass of water and added in a straw so Kyuhyun could drink with as little movement as possible. Leeteuk carefully moved the oxygen mask to rest around Kyuhyun’s neck for a moment before the younger man raised his head slightly as he began to drink. The cool water stung his throat a little as he swallowed but it was a feeling he welcomed.

“Slowly, Kyu.” When Kyuhyun had had enough water Leeteuk set down the glass and replaced the oxygen mask before he took the younger man’s hand once again. 

“What happened to Junsu?” He questioned but Leeteuk shook his head. He wasn’t sure what Kyuhyun remembered from before he was rushed into surgery and until he knew for sure, he didn’t want to risk upsetting the younger man. Leeteuk smiled and reached up to Kyuhyun’s cheek 

“He's locked up, you're safe I promise, he can't hurt us anymore. Don’t worry about him” 

Kyuhyun’s eyes closed for a moment before he opened them again and looked back to Leeteuk. He couldn’t show it in his current condition but the young prince was happy that Leeteuk was safe. He didn’t expect Junsu to make him feed on Leeteuk, and he hated himself for it, but the outcome was what he had hoped for. He and Leeteuk were safe, Junsu was locked up and the four-day ordeal was finally over. Kyuhyun looked down at Leeteuk’s hand and a small smile crept onto his lips.
“Your ring” He spoke softly as he focused his eyes on the engagement ring on Leeteuk’s finger. Leeteuk smiled and kissed the back of Kyuhyun’s hand.
“Heechul brought it back to me” he paused, letting out a small laugh. “And then he got excited about having an angel for a brother in law. He can’t wait to go wedding shopping.” Kyuhyun let out a small laugh, barely making a sound as he did, and Leeteuk smiled. It was nice to see Kyuhyun smile again after days of the young prince being unconscious. Leeteuk needed to tell Kyuhyun about Yunho’s interaction with Jaejoong, and that the shapeshifter was nowhere to be found, but it wasn’t important and Kyuhyun was in no state to hear it.

 

“Good morning, Leeteuk. How is my favourite patient doing?” ZhouMi hummed when he pushed open the door to the room before he stepped inside, his eyes fixed on the clipboard he was writing on. ZhouMi was wearing a plain black shirt and black trousers with a long white lab coat over the top and a pair of thick-framed glasses perched on his nose.
“He just woke up” Leeteuk smiled happily and when ZhouMi’s eyes reached Kyuhyun he smiled brightly.
“How are you feeling, sweet boy?” ZhouMi asked softly and Leeteuk’s eyebrow raised slightly. ZhouMi pulled a small pen torch from his pocket and shone it over both of Kyuhyun’s eyes before slipping it back into his pocket and looking at the monitor.
“Hey, Mi” Kyuhyun mumbled with a small smile “I’m okay.” ZhouMi picked up the clipboard and noted down the young prince’s vitals before his smile faltered a little.
“Your temperature is a little elevated but it should come down on its own. Everything else looks good. I need to change your bandages, if that is okay with you, my lord?” ZhouMi asked and Kyuhyun gave a gentle nod of his head.
“Why does he get to call you ‘my lord’ but when I do it you yell at me?” Leeteuk asked with a chuckle as ZhouMi opened a cabinet to the side of the room and grabbed the items he needed. Kyuhyun gave Leeteuk a wink before a grin stretched across his face.
“You make it dirty” he spoke in a soft voice and when the pair heard ZhouMi chuckle, Leeteuk blushed.
“You can’t blame me for that!”
“There is nothing wrong with a healthy life. If I am not mistaken, Kyuhyun, is it not you who likes to make things ual?” ZhouMi hummed and Kyuhyun nodded, smiling almost proudly beneath his oxygen mask. Leeteuk smiled and shook his head.
“Is this conversation really appropriate given the fact that he just woke up? He should be resting.” Kyuhyun squeezed Leeteuk’s hand weakly as ZhouMi wheeled over a small cart with his supplies placed on top before pulling on a pair of gloves. 

“His fault” Kyuhyun mumbled softly and pointed up at ZhouMi when the older man gently raised his arm to remove the bandage.
“What is your fault, ZhouMi?” Leeteuk asked and when ZhouMi smirked Leeteuk tensed slightly. Kyuhyun felt it and frowned before running his thumb reassuringly over the angel’s hand.
“I have known Kyuhyun since the very day he came to Abaddon. I was only fourteen at the time but from that moment he was a big part of my life” ZhouMi spoke softly as he began to unwrap the bandage on Kyuhyun’s arm, making the younger man wince. “Apologies, my lord. I have taken care of him for fifteen years, he is family to me now”
“Cool uncle” Kyuhyun interrupted but when ZhouMi removed the last of the bandage a small whine left his lips. “It hurts.”
“I know, Kyuhyun. I am sorry. You are not healing as you are used to but I am being as gentle as I can be, I promise.” Kyuhyun squeezed Leeteuk’s hand as tightly as he could when ZhouMi gently cleaned around the wound. The cut was bruised and inflamed but thanks to the sutures, and the fact it had been cleaned, it was slowly beginning to scab over. Kyuhyun raised his arm a little to view the wound before he frowned.
“As I was saying. Kyuhyun is family to me. I have been with him through the worst parts of his life and the best parts. Seen him go from a scared and vulnerable little boy to the strong, independent young man lying before us.” ZhouMi paused and ran his fingers through Kyuhyun’s hair as he gave the young prince a proud smile. “But being around someone for that long you share certain.. behaviours” ZhouMi’s smile turned into a chuckle and he grabbed a fresh bandage before he began rewrapping it around Kyuhyun’s arm.
“Like what?” Leeteuk asked curiously and when ZhouMi glanced to Kyuhyun the younger smiled.
“My dirty mind... Is his fault.” Kyuhyun pointed up at the older man once again. Talking was a strain on his throat and each time he spoke was like he had swallowed a knife.
“He had a bad habit of asking me whenever he was curious of something” ZhouMi chuckled “Heechul would tell him things that no child needed to hear, and as a result, Kyuhyun would come to me for an answer. It was not until he was thirteen, and I twenty-two, that I started answering those questions seriously though.”
“He made ual jokes” Kyuhyun mumbled slowly in an attempt to get his words out enough to form a proper sentence and when he did he sighed softly.
“And I still do.” ZhouMi chuckled before he moved around the bed. Leeteuk stood up and pushed his chair away from the side of the bed to give ZhouMi room but he didn’t move far from Kyuhyun’s side. He stepped closer to the top end of the bed and let go of Kyuhyun’s hand in favour of running his fingers through the young prince’s hair to help him relax

 

ZhouMi pulled the blankets down to Kyuhyun’s hips to expose the large bandage on his abdomen. It was the first time that Leeteuk had seen the wound since Kyuhyun’s surgery and a part of him still wasn’t prepared. As ZhouMi gently removed the bandage Kyuhyun in a sharp breath. The wound was a clean cut and was sutured neatly thanks to ZhouMi’s expertise. Just as with the cut on his arm, the cut on his abdomen was red, bruised and inflamed but showed no sign of infection.
“It is healing well, given the circumstances, but you will have a pretty large scar” ZhouMi hummed softly and Leeteuk smiled before he leaned down and kissed Kyuhyun’s forehead.
“A scar is nothing as long as he’s alive” Leeteuk mumbled softly as he played with the younger’s hair before he moved around to the other side of the bed and took the younger man’s hand. Kyuhyun smiled as his eyes fell closed for a few moments before he opened them again. ZhouMi ran his eyes over the young prince and looked at the monitor on the wall before securing a new bandage over Kyuhyun’s abdomen.

“Kyuhyun, my lord, are you feeling alright?” ZhouMi asked and Kyuhyun nodded slowly.
“Tired.”
“Just a little longer, then you can rest. Can you please turn your head away from me? I need to change the bandage on your neck and then we are done.” 

Kyuhyun gave a hesitant nod of his head before he did as ZhouMi asked. He closed his eyes for a moment and an image of Junsu flashed in his head and when ZhouMi reached down to remove the bandage, the young prince flinched before he was even touched.
“Kyuhyun? Are you okay?” Leeteuk asked and when Kyuhyun shook his head ZhouMi and the angel shared a glance and frowned. There was no denying that the things Junsu had done had made a big impact on Kyuhyun both physically and mentally. Kyuhyun’s worst physical injury was the stab wound to his abdomen, but mentally it was being bitten by the older demon.

The pain when a demon feeds from another unwilling demon was unbearable for the most part but the force Junsu had used when he had bitten Kyuhyun made the pain several times worse. 

“It is okay, Kyuhyun” ZhouMi cooed softly as he ran his fingers through Kyuhyun’s hair “It is me, you know I would never hurt you.” Kyuhyun held Leeteuk’s hand as tight as he could when ZhouMi removed the bandage on his neck and gently cleaned the wound. Leeteuk’s eyes landed on the wound and he frowned. Junsu’s bite had left a large bruise around the two noticeable puncture marks. Leeteuk had been bitten by multiple demons but somehow the bite mark on Kyuhyun’s neck seemed worse than them all. Leeteuk the back of Kyuhyun’s hand and when ZhouMi secured a new bandage in place the young prince relaxed a little. “All finished.”
 

Leeteuk gave Kyuhyun a soft smile when he noticed the younger man’s eyes were focused on him. Kyuhyun’s eyes were the pale shade of violet that always worried the angel but Leeteuk trusted that Kyuhyun would recover with ZhouMi’s help. Kyuhyun swallowed hard as he raised his hand to pull down the oxygen mask before he spoke.
“Mi, my legs feel weird” He mumbled but when ZhouMi stepped back beside the bed and moved the oxygen mask back over Kyuhyun’s nose and mouth the young prince frowned a little.
“You need to keep that on, my lord. Get some rest. I will explain everything later but you are in no fit state right now.”
“Tell me, please.” Leeteuk glanced up at ZhouMi and the pair shared a worried look but when Leeteuk shook his head ZhouMi nodded.
“I am sorry, Kyuhyun. But you need to rest. You had major surgery two days ago and you have only just woke up from heavy sedation. Get some rest, we can talk later.” ZhouMi squeezed Kyuhyun’s hand when the young prince sighed before he turned and briefly left the room. Kyuhyun turned his head to look at Leeteuk and the angel smiled as he raised Kyuhyun’s hand to kiss the back of it.
“Is it bad?” Kyuhyun asked softly but Leeteuk shook his head.
“Kyu, you need to listen to ZhouMi. You’re alright but it’s going to take some time for you to heal. Trust me, okay? I’ll be right here so get some sleep. We can talk later I promise.” Leeteuk stood up and pressed a kiss to Kyuhyun’s forehead as the young prince nodded his head a little. He didn’t have the energy to argue, despite how many questions he had. 

After just a few minutes of silence, Kyuhyun’s eyes fell closed and his grip on Leeteuk’s hand relaxed, as he drifted off to sleep.
 

****
 

That afternoon Leeteuk was sat reading the book on Nephilim magic while Kyuhyun slept. The young prince had been in and out of consciousness throughout the day, only waking up for short periods of time before giving in to the lingering effects of the sedation. Now and then he would speak, simply asking Leeteuk what time of day it was or quietly telling the angel that he loved him, but mostly he was quiet. As Leeteuk read there was a quiet knock at the door and when he looked up from the book he smiled when Heechul pushed open the door and stepped inside. Leeteuk rested his hand on the centre of the book to keep it open as Heechul walked over to Kyuhyun’s bed and ran his fingers through the younger man’s hair.
“How’s he doing? ZhouMi tells me he’s been awake?” Heechul questioned and Leeteuk smiled. “It’s good to see him breathing on his own again.”
“He woke up earlier this morning. He’s understandably groggy and obviously, he had questions, but luckily the sedation hasn’t worn off enough for him to be insistent about being told what’s going on yet” Leeteuk chuckled softly “He’s been in and out for a few hours now. He’s said a few things but mostly he’s just been sleeping.”
“I wish I could have been here when he woke up. Father had me awake early to reorganise and reassign the guards now that Junsu is out of the picture.”
“You’re here now, that’s what matters” Leeteuk smiled. Heechul nodded as he pulled up a chair beside Leeteuk, glancing at the book as he did so. Heechul had seen Leeteuk reading the same book a couple of times while he visited Kyuhyun but he had never bothered to ask what the angel was reading. It wasn’t until he noticed an unknown language on one of the pages that his interest was piqued.
“What are you reading?” Heechul asked and as Leeteuk moved his hand a little on the book, more of the page became visible to the older prince.
“At the party, my uncle brought over this book for Kyuhyun. It’s an old book from the archives of Araqiel that was thought to have been destroyed during the war. According to my uncle, it's the only book we know still exists that holds knowledge on Nephilim, as well as their spells.”

“A spellbook? Has Kyu seen it?”
“Briefly. We had a quick look through it together at the party but we had other things to focus on so we planned to come back to it when we got home… This book is partially the reason Kyuhyun is alive..” Leeteuk bit his lip lightly and flipped through the pages until he found a familiar page that Kyuhyun had read at the party. “Do you remember the day I first met your father?” he asked and Heechul nodded. “The magic Kyuhyun used on the plant that day can be used on people.” Heechul followed Leeteuk’s hand down the page and narrowed his eyes as he read the words on the page.
If a Nephilim is strong enough they have the power to push a person to the brink of death and bring them back to life on the condition they hold enough power or have an anchor. This magic is only made possible due to the mixture of demon and angelic blood, and angelic blood is the only known reversal. The longer a person is in that state, the further they will edge towards death.” He mumbled before he looked at Kyuhyun “He risked this even though he didn’t know whether he was strong enough?” he asked and when he looked back at Leeteuk, the angel smiled a little.
“He wanted to make sure I was safe, that I could get back to you or your father and tell you what Junsu had done. I refused to let him do it alone so I was his anchor… At least I was supposed to be.”
“What’s an anchor? It isn’t something we use in demon magic.”
“An anchor is a person or item that boosts light magic. Our original plan was for me to be close enough to touch Kyu when he needed it. But things didn’t work out how we planned, I think after Junsu made him bite me he used my blood as the anchor instead.” Leeteuk reached out and ran his hand down Kyuhyun’s arm before holding the younger man’s hand. Heechul had mixed feelings about what he had just been told but he couldn’t deny that he was grateful. He was grateful that Kyuhyun had found out that the spell could be used on people and that Leeteuk had refused to let him do it alone, but he also wanted to scold his younger brother and yell at him for putting his life at risk. 

“Thank you, Leeteuk. I know you feel like you could have done something to stop all of this from happening but you really did save his life.” Leeteuk smiled as Heechul spoke and just as he closed the book on his lap, Kyuhyun’s fingers gently closed around his hand.
“You two talk too much,” Kyuhyun mumbled quietly and when he turned his head and opened his eyes, both Leeteuk and Heechul’s smiles grew. His voice was muffled slightly due to the oxygen mask resting over his nose and mouth but it was finally clear enough to understand. 

“Hey little brother, how’re you feeling?” Heechul asked and Kyuhyun let out a yawn before he slowly raised his free hand to rub his eyes.
“Sore, a little tired, but I'm okay” He spoke softly and Leeteuk gently squeezed the younger man’s hand.

 

Over the next couple of hours, Leeteuk and Heechul updated Kyuhyun on the events of the past few days and what he had missed. Kyuhyun was still tired but as the time passed he slowly became more alert, aware of his surroundings and his ability to process information improved. Leeteuk told the younger man about his phone call with Sungmin and how the light prince and Emperor Lee had wished him a speedy recovery. As time passed Heechul left the room to continue with his daily duties, leaving Kyuhyun and Leeteuk alone. They talked about Kyuhyun’s photo album and the pictures they were most fond of and when the conversation finally reached Leeteuk’s conversation with King Kim, Kyuhyun’s eyes widened a little.
“It sounds like he might actually like you” He laughed softly and quietly before swallowing uncomfortably. Leeteuk reached over, removed the oxygen mask from Kyuhyun’s face and picked up the glass of water for Kyuhyun before he stood up and held the straw to the younger man’s lips. Kyuhyun drank slowly and when he was finished he gave Leeteuk a smile. “Thank you, Teukie. I’m glad you and my father are getting along.”

“I am too. Will we ever be close? I’m not sure, but at least he trusts me more now. Although, he did keep making sure to point out that I wouldn’t be his first choice for you.”
“Tough, you’re mine and he doesn’t get a say in it.” Kyuhyun grinned before he moved the mask back into place. Leeteuk smiled as he leaned over and pressed his lips to the younger man’s temple. 

“It’s so good to have you back.”

“I don’t feel like I’m back” Kyuhyun mumbled quietly and gave a small squeeze of Leeteuk’s hand. His tone changed suddenly as if he was suddenly hit with an unknown realisation. Leeteuk held Kyuhyun’s hand tightly and brushed his lips across the back of the younger man’s hand in a silent attempt to comfort him. “I can’t... Things are fuzzy in my mind. But not fuzzy like I’m hungover, it’s different.”
“You need to give yourself time, Kyu. You’ve been heavily sedated for three days and it’s going to take some time for everything to feel normal again.”
“No, not that kind of fuzzy. I can’t remember a lot of what happened before I got here…”
“It’s alright, I’ll explain everything later I promise.” Leeteuk smiled softly before the door opened slowly and ZhouMi appeared in the doorway. 

“How are you feeling this afternoon, my lord?” ZhouMi asked with a smile as he walked into the room and over to the side of Kyuhyun’s bed. He looked at the monitor and made a note of Kyuhyun’s vitals on his clipboard before he hooked it over the bottom of the bed. Kyuhyun pulled down his oxygen mask and gave ZhouMi a small smile.
“I’m alright. My throat still feels awful though” Kyuhyun’s voice was still hoarse as a result of the irritation left behind by the intubation tube. He absentmindedly played with the tape holding the IV in the back of his hand as he watched ZhouMi.
“It will pass soon, do not worry. Your body has been through a lot but after enough rest, you will be back to your old self in no time. You have already slept a lot, my lord, but it is a good thing.”
“Now that I’m more awake, are you going to tell me what’s going on, why my memory is patchy and why I can barely feel my legs past the top of my thighs?” Kyuhyun asked as he looked at ZhouMi and the older demon sighed. He had wanted to wait a while longer before telling the young prince the full extent of his injuries, but Kyuhyun was stubborn and he would not let ZhouMi keep avoiding what he wanted to know.
“Okay.”

 

Leeteuk smiled in an attempt to reassure the younger man and Kyuhyun smiled as he brushed his thumb over Leeteuk’s engagement ring.
“You lost a dangerous amount of blood due to your injuries. Do you remember what happened when you came back to the palace?” ZhouMi asked and Kyuhyun’s smile fell.
“I.. I remember waking up, I was bleeding and so was Leeteuk. My whole body hurt” He paused and shook his head before looking up at ZhouMi “Junsu. Did I use my magic to hurt him?”
“Yes. But you collapsed just moments after. You do not remember that?” ZhouMi asked and Kyuhyun shook his head.
“It’s patchy. I know I walked over to him but I don’t know what happened after that.” Leeteuk squeezed Kyuhyun’s hand as the young prince spoke and ZhouMi nodded his head.
“You were bleeding internally, my lord. All of your injuries combined were putting too much strain on your body... The use of your magic, while you were so weak, tipped your body and mind over the edge.”
“I do remember that Leeteuk and I were supposed to combine our magic..” Kyuhyun sighed before he looked at Leeteuk and frowned sadly. “Leeteuk was going to boost my magic so it took away some of the impact. But neither of us expected Junsu to force me to feed on Leeteuk” Kyuhyun’s eyes moved to the bandage on Leeteuk’s neck and he shook his head sadly. “Leeteuk was unconscious when Junsu stabbed me, I had no choice but to use my magic on my own. It was my own fault.”
“Do not blame yourself, my lord,” ZhouMi spoke softly as he gave Kyuhyun’s hand a squeeze before he turned and picked up a tablet from the table beside the bed. “This is your MRI scan from when you were brought to me” He raised the tablet for Kyuhyun to see and Kyuhyun laughed.
“I do have a brain then. Show Heechul because he won’t believe you.” Leeteuk chuckled softly as he ran his fingers up and down Kyuhyun’s arm. It was nice to see the younger man smile and laugh again despite everything that had happened. But as Kyuhyun ran his eyes over the image in front of him his smile faltered. “I’m no doctor but even I know what that means” he sighed as he reached out and pointed to the two small dark areas of the scan. 

“I think the power it took for you to suspend yourself between life and death, as well as when you hurt Junsu, was too much for your mind to handle in the weakened state you were in. The two areas you see on the scan are indeed damaged areas of your brain. Specifically, areas contributing to the movement of your legs, your balance and your memory. The good news is that the damage is mild and over time I am confident you will make a full recovery.” 

“That explains my head being fuzzy then. So until then, I’m basically paralysed?” Kyuhyun sighed heavily when ZhouMi frowned. “It’s okay, Mi. It’s not like you could do anything to stop it happening. It’s my own fault for being careless with my magic.”
“Hey” Leeteuk interrupted before he moved to sit on the side of Kyuhyun’s bed. He reached out and ran his thumb over Kyuhyun’s cheek gently. “Don’t say that. Your magic saved the both of us. We weren’t to know what Junsu was going to do or how your magic would affect you. Your plan worked, Kyu. We can deal with the side effects together. If ZhouMi says it’s temporary then we believe him.” Kyuhyun frowned as Leeteuk spoke. Leeteuk’s words brought him little comfort but he knew the angel was right. ZhouMi had never lied to him or let him down in the past. 

“Everything just went so wrong so fast” Kyuhyun mumbled sadly as tears filled his eyes. He quickly wiped his eyes before he spoke again “We had such a perfect night and then he went and ruined it” His voice hardened and a low growl left his throat “I’m going to kill him for this.”
“Hey, calm down baby. Don’t work yourself up. Junsu isn’t going anywhere. Focus on you and getting back on your feet and then we can deal with him.” Leeteuk leaned down and pressed a kiss to Kyuhyun’s lips and Kyuhyun instantly relaxed. It was the first time since the party that he had been able to kiss Leeteuk properly and it was a feeling he had most definitely missed.

 

ZhouMi silently stepped to the bottom of Kyuhyun’s bed and pulled the blankets aside. Kyuhyun was wearing shorts, leaving from his knees down to his feet exposed. While Kyuhyun was distracted by Leeteuk, ZhouMi removed a pen from his pocket and ran the end over the bottom of Kyuhyun’s left foot, making the young prince’s toes twitch a little. ZhouMi smiled before repeating the action on Kyuhyun’s right foot but there was no reaction. He focused on Kyuhyun’s left leg and slipped the pen back into his pocket before he gently pressed his fingers to the younger man’s leg and moved down towards his foot. When Kyuhyun pouted a little and glanced around where Leeteuk was sitting Leeteuk turned around.
“Mi, what are you doing?” Kyuhyun asked and ZhouMi smiled before he let out a soft chuckle.
“Can you feel this, my lord?” he asked and when he squeezed the younger man’s foot Kyuhyun blinked.
“I don’t know. It feels numb, but I can also feel pressure. I don’t know if that’s just my brain registering what I can see though.”
“I ran my pen across the bottom of your foot when you were distracted by Leeteuk” ZhouMi smiled, making Leeteuk smile back. “Your toes twitched a little. This is a good sign. It means that with physical therapy you should get full use of your legs back.”
“Good. I’d rather not be in a wheelchair on my wedding day” Kyuhyun laughed as he played with Leeteuk’s engagement ring again but despite his laugh both Leeteuk and ZhouMi could tell that the young prince was doubtful.
“You have to stay positive, my love. You’ll be back on your feet in no time and when we dance on our wedding day you can complain about it all you like” Leeteuk smiled. “Until then we focus on doing whatever we can to get you strong again and back on your feet.” Kyuhyun gave a small nod of his head before ZhouMi moved the oxygen mask back onto his face.
“Do I really need this, Mi? I feel okay now” Kyuhyun pouted and ZhouMi glanced at the young prince before he reached into a drawer by the bed, pulled out a clear plastic tube and hooked it up to the oxygen tank in place of the mask. He gently removed the mask from around Kyuhyun’s head before holding up the tube.
“This is a nasal cannula. It is the more comfortable, less invasive, alternative but yes you have to wear it for now” ZhouMi mumbled softly and Kyuhyun nodded. ZhouMi hooked the tube over Kyuhyun’s ears and tightened it beneath his chin before adjusting it so the two small prongs were placed into the younger man’s nostrils. Kyuhyun’s nose twitched a little but it was more bearable than having the oxygen mask over his face.
“Thank you, Mi.” 

“You are welcome, Kyuhyun. Your colour is already looking better, as is the colour of your eyes, which I am happy about.” ZhouMi smiled and picked up the clipboard before noting down the change in Kyuhyun’s oxygen.
“Does that mean I can go home soon?” Kyuhyun asked in a hopeful tone but when ZhouMi’s eyes remained focused on the clipboard, Kyuhyun frowned a little.
“You are a long way from being healthy enough for portal travel, my lord. When I am happy with your progress and you no longer need your IV or oxygen lines you can be moved to your room here in the palace. But I am afraid that, at least for the time being, you cannot return home. I’ll leave you in Leeteuk’s care, for now, I need to go and speak to your father.” ZhouMi smiled and squeezed Kyuhyun’s arm gently to reassure the young prince before he turned and left the room, taking Kyuhyun’s notes with him.

 

“No home for a while, great” Kyuhyun sighed. Leeteuk shifted to sit a little further up Kyuhyun’s bed after ZhouMi left. He knew Kyuhyun was disappointed about not being able to go home yet but he also trusted what ZhouMi had said. He leaned down and pressed several small kisses to the young princes’ lips to cheer him up before he ran his fingers through his hair.

“Your hair needs a wash” Leeteuk chuckled and Kyuhyun pouted. It had been a week since the party, and since Kyuhyun’s last real shower, and despite Leeteuk having given Kyuhyun a couple of washes since his surgery the young prince was in desperate need of a bath.
“I can’t go home, I can’t wash my hair, I can’t shower, I can’t even walk. I hate being stuck in bed like this.” Kyuhyun sighed “What is the point in my light magic if every time I use it, it hurts me so badly? The first time caused bruising on my brain, this time it was actual damage leaving me paralysed, the next time might just kill me.”
“This time was different, Kyu, just like the first time. The first time caught you off guard, you were unaware and unprepared and your mind couldn’t handle it. This time you were at your weakest and used double the amount of magic, which caused double the damage compared to the first time. You’re still adjusting to your light magic but once you get control over it, you will be able to use it like it’s always been a part of you.”

“I’m not sure I want a next time.”

“You’re in the early stages of recovery, you just need to give yourself time. You should start to feel better when you’re back in your own room and away from all of these machines. Just wait a couple more days, baby. And in the meantime, if you’re feeling strong enough tomorrow we can start to work on getting your legs responsive again.” Leeteuk squeezed Kyuhyun’s hand and gave the younger man a reassuring smile. Kyuhyun knew Leeteuk was right but he didn’t feel very positive.
 

It had only been four days since Kyuhyun’s surgery and even though he was more alert and already feeling better in himself, his body still needed time to heal. Leeteuk shifted to lie beside Kyuhyun. He wrapped his arm around the young prince and Kyuhyun smiled before he laid his head on Leeteuk’s shoulder. The pair sat in silence for a while as Kyuhyun absentmindedly played with the hem of Leeteuk’s t-shirt, and when he inhaled deeply his fingers curled in the fabric.
“You smell good. Really good.” Leeteuk pressed a lingering kiss to Kyuhyun’s temple as the younger man spoke. He knew that Kyuhyun was hungry and that ZhouMi wouldn’t approve of what he was thinking but Kyuhyun needed to feed in order to get stronger. 

“You’re hungry, take my blood”
“I can’t, what if I hurt you again?” Kyuhyun asked but Leeteuk smiled.
“What happened wasn’t your fault, Kyu. Junsu forced you to bite me, he starved you for four days but you still managed to stop. You need to stop being so hard on yourself.” Without another word, Leeteuk raised his wrist in front of Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun let out a small sigh and frowned when his eyes landed on the angel’s wrist. The dark purplish-blue bruise from the handcuffs was beginning to change and turn various shades of yellow. Kyuhyun wrapped his fingers gently around Leeteuk’s arm and kissed a little higher along the angel’s wrist before he sank his fangs into the skin. Leeteuk bit his lip for a moment as a sharp pain radiated through his arm but when the pain quickly faded, he relaxed. As the all too familiar taste of Leeteuk’s blood flooded his mouth, Kyuhyun’s eyes fluttered closed. Leeteuk ran the fingers of his other hand through Kyuhyun’s hair and pressed multiple kisses to his head as the younger man drank. After a few minutes, Kyuhyun withdrew his fangs and ran his tongue slowly over the wound before he pulled back and his lips. The wound stopped bleeding almost instantly and Kyuhyun smiled as he released Leeteuk’s wrist and settled his head back down against the angel’s shoulder.
“Thank you.”
“You’re welcome, just... don’t tell ZhouMi about this. I wasn’t supposed to let you feed yet.” 

“I won’t. I don’t have it in me to be yelled at right now” Kyuhyun laughed a little before settling into silence. Leeteuk pulled the younger man close and pulled the blankets up so they were, once again, covering Kyuhyun’s body and Kyuhyun let out a quiet sigh. 

“I think... When I’m back on my feet we should move. Get a real place of our own.” Leeteuk smiled and pressed a kiss to Kyuhyun’s temple.
“A new apartment or a house?” he asked and Kyuhyun shrugged.
“I don’t know. I just want a fresh start. Just you, me and a home we can call our own. We spent so long between our apartments before you moved in with me. But now we need our forever home, one that doesn’t come with bad memories.”
“I like the sound of that. Nothing but good and happy memories will be allowed.” Kyuhyun smiled as Leeteuk spoke but when a small smirk appeared on the young princes’ face, Leeteuk shook his head. “You don’t even need to say anything and I already know what you’re thinking. Is there ever a time you’re not thinking about ?” Leeteuk questioned but he didn’t need an answer. Kyuhyun let out a quiet giggle to himself and snuggled close to Leeteuk the best that he could before he let out a yawn. 

“I can’t help it. Have you seen yourself? You’re gorgeous.” Kyuhyun turned his head and kissed Leeteuk’s jaw before he settled his head back on the angel’s shoulder. 

“I could say the same for you. Even if you haven’t had a shower in a week.”

“Get used to it, once we’re married I can be as much of a slob as I want to be” Kyuhyun laughed softly, making Leeteuk smile.
 

It had been a stressful week for everyone but in the four days since Kyuhyun’s surgery all Leeteuk had wanted was for Kyuhyun to be alright. He knew the young prince had a long road to recovery ahead of him and he was prepared for the stress and possible tears that would come along the way, but hearing Kyuhyun laugh and seeing him smile again was a sign that things were slowly starting to get better.