Recovery

Sovereignty

A/N: I was having second thoughts on whether to post this chapter tonight or not. I'm ahead of myself at the moment so updates can be posted pretty regularly.

Thank you all for your continue support! I hope you enjoy this chapter~
And as always, comments are much appreciated.

 


 

The next morning Leeteuk woke alone, his arm stretched out across Kyuhyun’s pillow in place of where the demon prince had previously been sleeping. He let out a soft sigh followed by a yawn and pulled Kyuhyun’s pillow to his chest as he listened to the birds outside, their songs instantly reminding him of being back at the light realm. After several minutes he pushed himself to sit up against the headboard and ran his fingers through his hair, looking around the room. Kyuhyun’s glasses were gone from the nightstand and Leeteuk smiled in relief when he heard the younger’s voice approaching the bedroom, followed closely by Heechul’s. When Kyuhyun opened the door Leeteuk smiled and rested his chin on his knees, looking adorably sleepy to the demon prince.
“Good morning, you’re looking better already” Leeteuk spoke softly as Kyuhyun smiled back and moved to sit with Leeteuk. Kyuhyun’s eyes were back to their normal colour now he had rested, bringing the angel even just a small amount of reassurance that the younger was healing.
“He’s been pretty quiet this morning.” Heechul mumbled as he stood in the doorway and watched his brother curl up on the bed and pull Leeteuk’s legs out straight before resting his head in the older’s lap. Both Leeteuk and Heechul smiled at the action before Heechul’s face hardened again. “He came in when he woke up and didn’t know where he was… It took almost fifteen minutes before he remembered again. He didn’t want me to tell you.”
Leeteuk frowned a little and looked down at Kyuhyun, his features softening as he studied the look of worry on his boyfriend’s face.
“Don’t worry, Kyuhyun. It’s only temporary, you’ll be as good as new in a couple of days. Please don’t hide anything from me, especially something like this” he said softly and Kyuhyun turned his head to look up at Leeteuk before nodding.
“It scared me. I don’t like being so confused. It took me a few minutes to figure out that it was you lying beside me and I think that's what scared me the most"

"You just need to rest so you can heal. You heard what the doctor said, it will take some time. We'll get through this, I promise." Leeteuk leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to Kyuhyun's lips before he looked back towards Heechul, who was standing in the doorway with a smile.

"You're so good for him, Leeteuk. I never expected your relationship to last this long if I'm completely honest"

"I know most people have doubted us from the start but it doesn't matter to me what he is, just who he is, because to me he is everything."

Heechul smiled again as he looked down at his brothers face, the younger smiling shyly.

"You two are adorably gross" Heechul chuckled before making a vomiting gesture and leaving the room.
 

Leeteuk ran his fingers through Kyuhyun's hair gently while the two of them stayed silent, simply enjoying each others company without anybody interrupting. After a few minutes Kyuhyun turned his head to look up at Leeteuk with a small smile before taking the older's hand.

"You're so good to me. What did I do to deserve you? I always assumed that I would get through life on my own, but I'm glad I ran into you that night."

"You are a good person, Kyuhyun, I know you might not think so, but you are. You deserve to be happy, " Kyuhyun smiled softly and shifted so he could wrap his arms around Leeteuk’s waist, hugging the angel tightly. Leeteuk smiled in return and pulled Kyuhyun closer, pressing a kiss to his temple.  

"When we met you were so strong and intimidating, but now you're like a different person completely"
"That's a front for people I don't trust. Nobody gets to see this side of me, not even my brother. If people in my realm knew the real me they would try to exploit it, hurt me. I am the son of the king, I have to appear strong in order to set an example. But with you I can relax. I don't have to act like that.. but.." Kyuhyun paused and looked up at Leeteuk's face "Around you I feel fragile. You protect me and care for me when it should be the other way around. I'm supposed to be the strong one."
"You do protect me. Remember kevin and Eli? We can protect each other. I love this side of you. It makes me feel needed but it doesn't mean we can't both be strong. We are equals in this relationship, Kyuhyun. Please don't think that because of your status that you have to be strong and be the one who protects me. We're in this together," Kyuhyun smiled and pressed a kiss to Leeteuk’s jaw before inhaling the angels scent, catching his attention. “You haven’t fed for a while, take my blood. It will help you heal.” Kyuhyun nodded as Leeteuk spoke and he shifted a little, surprising the angel at his lack of argument for the first time since they met.

Kyuhyun pressed a kiss to the side of Leeteuk’s neck before his fangs pierced the skin, sending blood rushing into his mouth. Leeteuk closed his eyes tightly for a moment at the feeling but he soon relaxed once the initial pain had subsided, a pain he had quickly gotten used to. Kyuhyun moved his hand to rest on the opposite side of the angel's neck while he drank, every gulp satisfying his hunger a little more as he kept his fingers pressed lightly over the older’s pulse, something he had to force himself to do to lower the risk of him hurting the man he loved. After a few minutes Kyuhyun retracted his fangs and ran his tongue over the wound, stopping the bleeding almost instantly before he kissed the angel’s neck once more.
“Thank you, Teukie” He smiled as he brushed his thumb over Leeteuk’s cheek and the older man opened with eyes with a smile.
“You’re welcome. You’re getting better, I didn’t even have to tell you to be careful this time.”
“I know what your resting pulse is now, I know how it feels, so if I keep my fingers over your pulse when I feed I feel it change and know when to stop. I can’t guarantee it will always work but so far it seems to be.” Leeteuk smiled and took Kyuhyun’s hand before interlinking their fingers.
“I’m proud of you, I know it isn’t easy for you but…” Leeteuk paused when there was a brief knock at the door before it opened and Heechul stood in the doorway. Kyuhyun moved to sit back down beside Leeteuk and wiped the corners of his mouth sheepishly before smiling at his brother.
“Sorry to interrupt” Heechul smirked, glancing at Leeteuk’s neck before looking at Kyuhyun with a grin “I just wanted to let you both know that i’m going back home. Hangeng just called, he’s back in the human realm so i’m going to meet him and then we’re going back to the palace. I know you will take care of my brother, Leeteuk. So I can relax a little. Rest well brother, i’ll see you both in a couple of days”  
“I’ll see you soon, maybe i’ll come back home once things have calmed down but I don’t know” Kyuhyun shrugged and he moved to hug Heechul tightly.
“Goodbye, Heechul. Thank you for your help, I won’t forget it” Leeteuk smiled and Heechul gave a nod of his head before he grabbed his bag and left the apartment.
 

“I have to go into work tonight but until then we can stay here and relax. Honestly though i’m considering calling Shindong and telling him I can’t make it. I think I would rather stay here and make sure you’re alright” Leeteuk spoke softly when Kyuhyun sat down beside him once again but the young prince shook his head in protest.
“I’ll be alright on my own for a few hours. Your blood will help me and as long as I rest no harm will come to me, go to work, I promise i’ll be okay,” Kyuhyun smiled and Leeteuk sighed in defeat before wrapping his arms around the younger and brushing his fingers through his soft brown hair. Kyuhyun smiled softly and curled up against Leeteuk, resting his ear over the angels heart and closing his eyes as the steady beating instantly calmed him.
“Okay, i’ll go to work, but you need to sleep some more. Do we have a deal?” Leeteuk asked and glanced down when Kyuhyun didn’t reply and he smiled when he noticed the demon’s eyes were closed and his breathing was steady once more. “Sweet dreams, Kyuhyun.”

 

***

 

Kyuhyun hummed quietly to himself as he walked the streets of the human realm after sunset. It was always his favourite time of the day especially when he had a lot on his mind, the streets were quiet and helped to calm his overactive thoughts. Ever since finding out about his mother’s true identity the young demon prince found it more and more difficult to get through a single day without wondering what else he had not been told about his life and the recent incident with his light magic made it all the more difficult to avoid. He looked down at his hands as he walked, curious of what powers may still be hidden to him as a result of the pure blood flowing through his veins, before his attention was caught by a cry of help in the near distance but he shrugged it off knowing all too well what the human realm was like at that time of the night, he refused to get involved with human troubles.

 

The cries for help got louder as he walked and something pulled him in the direction of the screams. As he closed in on the alleyway his head snapped to the side as a familiar voice hit his ears, he looked down through the darkness before following the sound of the voices.
“Let go of me! I’ll make you pay for this” The familiar voice shouted out in a pained tone and two unfamiliar voices followed.
“If you keep quiet we’ll let you go”
“Hm, but maybe we won’t. We could have use of you back home. Tell me sire, have you ever been to Abbadon?”

At the mention of his realm Kyuhyun made his way down the small alleyway before turning a corner and discovering the source of the voices.
“What’s going on here?” He asked as his eyes snapped between the two attackers, their victim hidden by the shadows.

“If you value your life you will leave and forget what you saw here” One of the men hissed and turned to look at Kyuhyun, baring his fangs for a moment before the realisation hit him of who was standing before him. “I apologise, my lord” he quickly finished and he backed away with his head lowered and he dropped to one knee. The other vampire stood in place as he fed, ignoring Kyuhyun’s voice until he was harshly pulled away and Kyuhyun’s eyes widened as a third man slumped down the wall holding his neck.
“Sungmin?” he asked as he studied the man’s face in the darkness. It was indeed Sungmin, the prince's usually bright complexion was now paler in comparison as he tried to stop the blood flowing slowly from his neck. Kyuhyun threw the vampire harshly against the wall and stood defensively in front of Sungmin as he bared his fangs, all whilst keeping himself as calm as possible. “Leave, now! And do not speak of this to anyone, especially my father. Do you understand me?” he growled, his eyes glowing brightly with a mixture of anger and the scent of Sungmin’s blood.
“Yes, my lord.” The two vampires said in unison before disappearing into the darkness.

 

Kyuhyun held his head for a moment when a wave of dizziness washed over him before he knelt down in front of Sungmin and reached out his hand for Sungmin to take.
“Why did you help me?” Sungmin asked as he hesitantly took Kyuhyun’s hand and was pulled to his feet. Kyuhyun shrugged.
“Because i’m not the monster you presume me to be. If I let you die and Leeteuk finds out he will hate me forever, plus your father would probably have my head if he found out too.”
“Thank you. I know you must hate me for what I did to you”
“What happened? What are you doing here in the human realm?” Kyuhyun asked, ignoring Sungmin’s previous words as he helped him to the main street, keeping an arm around the angel’s waist to keep him steady. The scent of Sungmin’s blood made Kyuhyun’s head spin as he thought back to the day in the palace when he tasted the prince’s blood for the first time and his grip around Sungmin’s waist tightened, his fingers digging in the angels side.
“I came to look for Leeteuk. He still refuses to speak to me after what I did to you. I wanted to apologise to him but while I was walking down this street those demons grabbed me, I couldn’t use my power to stop them, they were too strong..” he paused and glanced towards Kyuhyun worriedly “You’re hurting me. I’m okay, I can walk on my own.” Kyuhyun laughed awkwardly and moved his arm but stayed close to Sungmin incase he were to fall.
“Sorry.” Kyuhyun mumbled, pausing for a moment as he found himself battling with another wave of nausea before he took a deep breath “I’m hungry and you still smell delicious even if you are off limits. This isn’t the safest place for someone like you to walk alone at night. Vampires have claimed the night as their own in this part of town. Come with me, my apartment isn’t far from here. Stay the night if you’d like, Leeteuk will be home in a couple of hours so you can see him then” Sungmin raised an eyebrow and shot Kyuhyun a slightly disgusted look before Kyuhyun noticed and started to laugh “Wipe that look off your face I didn’t mean anything by it. Leeteuk is the only person allowed in my bed, you can stay on the sofa. Unless you would rather try and survive out here on your own until the morning.”  
“No, thank you. I can’t return to my father like this, he will never let me go anywhere on my own if I show up covered in blood.. Again. Are you sure it won’t be a problem?”
“It’s fine. Just get yourself cleaned up as soon as we get to my apartment and don’t trick me into feeding from you again, if you do all of that, then you and I will get along just fine. I’m in no state to be around you when you’re bleeding at the moment so it will be in your best interests to be cautious.”

 

A short time later the two of them arrived at Kyuhyun's apartment and Sungmin stepped inside curiously. He had never seen any place a demon lived before and his first impression was different to anything he had expected. Kyuhyun's house wasn't dark, damp or unclean like he had expected it to be. It was clean, tidy and the moon cast a gentle light through the open curtains, brightening the otherwise dark living room. Kyuhyun the light and set his phone and keys down on the table before walking into the bedroom to grab the first aid kit. As Sungmin looked around the room he noticed photographs of a young boy with his mother, Kyuhyun standing side by side with his brother, and a new photograph on the shelf of him and Leeteuk sitting in the park. It looked like the apartment of a typical human, not the prince of the dark realm.

"Here, there are bandages in here, the bathroom is just down the hall on the right" Kyuhyun said softly as he dropped the box on the sofa and stepped away, keeping his distance from an already shaken Sungmin.

"Thank you, Kyuhyun" Sungmin smiled and picked up the box before he walked down and into the bathroom. He closed the door behind himself and locked it quickly after noticing the bolt on the back of the door before he sighed and walked over to close the lid on the toilet so he could sit down. His hands had begun to shake, due to the shock of what had happened and the blood he was slowly losing, but he took a cloth from the sink and pressed it to the wound. After a few minutes of sitting still and applying pressure to the wound the bleeding had almost stopped and he removed the cloth to clean up his neck. He wiped off as much of the blood as he could before pressing a pad over the wound and wrapping a bandage around it to hold it in place.

 

Back in the living room Kyuhyun sat on the sofa with his head in his hand while he scrolled through his phone, smiling when a new message was received.

To: Kyuhyun
From: Leeteuk

Message: How are you feeling? I wish you hadn’t told me to go into work tonight, i’d rather be with you so I know that you are okay. I hope you’re being good and resting like I told you to.

 

He let out a small laugh and shook his head before replying.

 

To: Leeteuk
From: Kyuhyun
Message: About that… I got bored so I went for a walk, but don’t worry i’m alright. I’ve had a couple of dizzy spells but I made it home in one piece. Leeteuk.. Make sure you come back here as soon as you’re done with work, okay?

 

A part of Kyuhyun wanted to just tell Leeteuk straight away what had happened to Sungmin and that the angels cousin was currently in his bathroom, but he knew Leeteuk would either worry and rush home or automatically think the worst. He tapped the back of his phone with his fingernails as he waited for a reply.

 

To: Kyuhyun
From: Leeteuk

Message: You’re impossible, you know that? It’s a good thing you’re delicate right now otherwise I would probably slap you. I’m coming back to you when I finish work, don’t worry. But why the urgency, is something wrong?

To: Leeteuk
From: Kyuhyun
Message: ;) And yes, I do know that. Heechul says i’m a pain in the all of the time. Nothing is wrong, not exactly. It can wait until you’re home though, I think i’m going to go and take a shower, i’ll see you in a few hours. I love you.

To: Kyuhyun
From: Leeteuk

Message: Oh i’m giving you a really disapproving look right now. Keep your naughty thoughts to yourself... or save them for later, now is not the time. You’re taking a shower? Aw, shame, I was going to ask you to join me later ;) Look! You’re a bad influence on me. I’m going back to work, see you when i’m home. I love you too.


To: Leeteuk
From: Kyuhyun
Message: I’m holding you to that. The next time we’re alone and i’m healthy again I cannot be held responsable for what i’m going to do to you. As much as I love that we’re taking things slow, right now I want nothing more than to rip off your clothes so I can lay my eyes upon that perfect body of yours, tensing and shivering under my touch.

 

To: Kyuhyun
From: Leeteuk

Message: You’re tempting me to come home right now. Stop it, I need to work. Go and take your shower.

 

Kyuhyun let out a frustrated groan when he read Leeteuk’s final reply, biting his thumb lightly as he stared at the bathroom door and swallowed hard. His frustration was slowly turning into hunger and knowing that he had an angel in his apartment made it that much more difficult for him to stay in control. He closed his eyes and shook his head before getting up and walking into the kitchen to get out one of the bottles of blood he kept for when Leeteuk wasn’t around. After being so used to drinking Leeteuk’s blood, any other blood had began to turn tasteless for the demon prince, filling only his need for blood but never satisfying the hunger for more than a few hours. As he felt himself calm down he sighed and leaned back against the counter, the bright glow that was beginning to show in his eyes was once again fading, giving nothing away to Sungmin should the angel leave the bathroom at that moment. He set the empty bottle down in the sink and walked over to sit back down on the sofa as he glanced toward the clock on the wall. It was 9pm and Leeteuk was due to finish work in an hour.
“An hour alone with him, I can do this” Kyuhyun mumbled to himself as he rested his head on the back of the sofa and sighed when he felt a dull ache in his head. He leaned forward and rested his head in his hands, covering his eyes completely in an attempt to shield them from the light.

 

Sungmin opened the bathroom door after a few more minutes and walked back into the living room, stopping cautiously when he saw Kyuhyun on the sofa.
“Thank you for letting me get cleaned up…” he paused and set the first aid kit down on the table before sitting on the sofa opposite the demon prince. “Um, are you alright? My being here isn’t causing a problem for you, is it?” he asked and Kyuhyun sighed and shook his head before uncovering his eyes and sitting up.
“No, not really, I just have a headache. Leeteuk finishes work at 10pm so when he’s home the two of you can talk or whatever it is you need to do”
“You say home… Does he live here with you now?” Sungmin asked and Kyuhyun shrugged.
“It’s a habit. He hasn’t moved in so no, I guess he doesn’t live here. But he stays over a lot and I do the same at his apartment.”
“Honestly, i’m glad he doesn’t live with you… I’m sorry but I still don’t trust you. You might have only reacted to something I did but you’re a demon, demons don’t change no matter who they choose to date.” Kyuhyun frowned and turned to face Sungmin before pulling his legs up onto the sofa beside himself.

"What is your problem, Sungmin? You act like Leeteuk is just some toy to me, like he is nothing more than food. You label me as a monster before you even know me but the truth is, you and I are not that different."
“I’m nothing like you” Sungmin scoffed and Kyuhyun growled low in his throat, digging his nails into the back of the sofa to stop himself from getting angry at the angel in front of him.
“Really? Because from where i’m sitting you’re acting like the demon here, not me. You cut your own arm with a knife so you could set me up and have me killed for no other reason than you don’t want me dating your cousin. That’s twisted.”
“I apologised for that. I wasn’t thinking when I did it.”
“I saved your life tonight, did I not?” Kyuhyun asked and Sungmin nodded, bringing his hand up to rest over the bandage on his neck and sighing when he felt the wound throb beneath his touch. “If I was the monster you presume me to be, I wouldn’t have saved you. I would have left you to die in that alleyway. In fact I probably would have killed you myself. You have no idea what royal blood is like for me. Think of the finest wine you have ever drank and multiply it’s taste by ten.”

"You're not helping the way I feel about you right now" Sungmin muttered under his breath and Kyuhyun laughed, shaking his head.

"I'm not trying to get you to like me. I couldn't care less how you feel about me if I'm honest. Leeteuk isn't just some pet for me to play with until I get bored, you know."

"But you feed from him.."

"Because he refuses to let me feed any other way! I keep a supply of blood here for when he's not around but other than that he made me promise to feed from him and him alone." Sungmin blinked and looked over to Kyuhyun, studying his face for any sign of a lie, but he found none.

"My father is the monster, Sungmin. Not me"

 

****

 

Leeteuk glanced at the clock as he finished drying the dishes and cutlery, it was already 9:45pm and the café was quiet, having closed just an hour before. He walked through to tidy up the counter area and smiled at Shindong when he noticed the other sitting at one of the tables working through the books.
“I can drop you off at your apartment tonight, Leeteuk. There’s no need for you to walk home on your own. Think of it as a thank you for staying late tonight and helping me out”
“Thank you. Kyuhyun would normally pick me up but he’s under strict orders to rest. He’s the one who told me to come to work tonight, to be honest I think he just wanted to get rid of me for a few hours” Leeteuk chucked and Shindong smiled as he closed his folder and set it into his bag.
“I’m glad he’s alright. But I can still tell you’re worried about him, the way you’ve been acting today is proof of that, you seem distracted.”
“My apologies, it’s been a stressful couple of days but i’m hoping things will start getting back to normal now” Leeteuk sighed softly before looking around and taking off his apron. “I think i’m done now, everything is clean, food is prepared for the morning and the money is in the safe.”
“That’s fantastic, let’s lock up and go. Are you staying over at Kyuhyun’s apartment or shall I take you home?”
“I’m staying with Kyuhyun” Leeteuk smiled as he pulled on his jacket and grabbed his bag before turning off the lights and following Shindong outside to the car, locking the doors as he left.

 

It didn’t take long for the two of them to arrive at Kyuhyun’s apartment block. The streets were quiet at that time of night due to most people staying in their homes to avoid unwanted attention from the vampires that stalked the streets. After Leeteuk said goodbye to Shindong, he punched in the key code Kyuhyun had given him for the main door and made his way up to Kyuhyun’s apartment, sighing softly to himself before opening the door. After he closed the door he turned around and froze when he laid his eyes on Sungmin sitting on the sofa.
“What… Sungmin? Why are you here?” He asked, his eyes narrowing on the small bandage fixed onto his cousin's neck.
“It’s a long story, but I was looking for you and-” Sungmin started but was interrupted when Leeteuk called out Kyuhyun’s name. A couple of minutes later Kyuhyun walked out of his bedroom and smiled when he saw that Leeteuk was home, his smile fading when he noticed the unhappy look on the angels face.

“Kyuhyun, why is my cousin in your apartment? And why does he have a bandage on his neck?” he asked and Kyuhyun frowned a little before scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.
“And here I was thinking I would get a hug when you got home. It’s not what you’re thinking, i’m not responsable for the wound on his neck, I promise.”
“I was coming to find you, Leeteuk. You’ve been avoiding me for days. I didn’t realise the human realm was so corrupted and on my way to find you I was attacked by vampires. Kyuhyun stopped them and offered to let me stay here until morning” Leeteuk looked towards Kyuhyun and smiled proudly before walking over and embracing the younger in a hug.
“Thank you. I’m proud of you. I’m sorry I jumped to conclusions, it’s been a busy night. How are you feeling?” Leeteuk asked and Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around the older, sighing a little.
“It’s okay, I understand. I’m feeling a little better, I guess. Although your cousin likes to insult me, i’m not okay with that”
“Just ignore him, it will be better for your health right now if you do. I’m going to go get changed and have a wash, i’ll be back soon” Leeteuk smiled as he kissed Kyuhyun’s lips softly, earning a whine of protest from the younger when they parted. “Sungmin, be nice. I’ll be back in a few minutes,” Sungmin gave a nod of his head when Leeteuk looked at him before he turned his head back away from the two and focused his eyes on the floor.

 

Leeteuk walked into the bedroom and quickly changed out of his work clothes, pulling on a pair of sweatpants and a tshirt from Kyuhyun’s drawers before he went into the bathroom to wash his hands and face. After a few minutes he made his way out of the bathroom and frowned when he noticed items in the house begin to shake much like how the earth had shook just days previously. He ran through to the living room and froze momentarily when he saw Kyuhyun stood glaring at Sungmin, the colour in his eyes slowly fading from their normal violet colour.  

"Kyuhyun, whatever happened while I was in the bathroom doesn’t matter, you need to calm down!" He called out as Sungmin stumbled backwards and fell onto the sofa, the floor shaking violently beneath his feet. Kyuhyun stepped closer and bared his fangs, his eyes glowing blue.

"I save your life, invite you into my home so you’re safe and all you have done is insult me. I've had enough. You want me to show you what a real monster looks like, Lee Sungmin? Fine, I will!"