Exposing a secret

Sovereignty

A/N: Thank you to all of my subscribers, new and old~ Writing is getting a little better again. I seem to be going through phases of almost complete writers block lately but thankfully I think this most recent one has past. I've actually been working on a future chapter over the past few days. I took an idea that I had, probably five or six chapters back, and turned it into the major upcoming plot. I have high hopes for how it's going to go and so far i'm really happy with what I have... Even though I know you're all going to hate me as a result of it... :P Please anticipate it, though it won't be happening for another four maybe five chapters yet, it depends how much there is still to write in between~ I hope you enjoy this chapter guys!

As always, comments and feedback are appreciated.

 

 


 

Hangeng sat alone in the bed he shared with Heechul the following morning, waiting for the prince to finish his shower before he could speak with him. After overhearing the conversation between King Kim and Junsu the night before Hangeng wanted to tell Heechul straight away, but by the time he was back at their room the man was already fast asleep after a busy day. He sighed and wrapped his arms around his legs as he waited. Within ten minutes he heard the water stop and a short time after Heechul left the bathroom wearing nothing but a towel around his waist, his hair dripping and leaving a water trail behind him.
“Oh Hannie, you’re awake. You didn’t come to bed until late so I just thought I would let you sleep” The demon prince smiled as he walked over and gave Hangeng a tender kiss before walking to grab some clothes from his closet. Hangeng chewed anxiously on his thumb nail while Heechul changed, something the older prince picked up on instantly. “What’s wrong?”
“I need to talk to you about something, it’s not exactly my place to say but I think it’s something you need to know. You certainly have the right to” Hangeng mumbled and Heechul narrowed his eyes before pulling on his jeans, wrapping the towel around his shoulders and taking a seat on the bed beside his boyfriend.
“You look scared Hannie.. You know you can talk to me about anything”
“I overheard a conversation between your father and Junsu last night..” Hangeng paused and Heechul nodded his head a little, finally understanding why he was so late to bed.
“Go on, anything you tell me will stay between us, I promise”
“Your father was asking Junsu about the day that Kyuhyun was attacked by Eli. He said that Kyuhyun had told him that it was Junsu who was behind the attack. Junsu denied it, obviously but something he said is stuck in my head and it bothers me. Junsu asked your father why he would want to harm his own nephew, and your father called Junsu brother….” Any hint of a smile on Heechul’s face disappeared instantly and he turned to look at Hangeng, his eyebrows knotted in a mixture of confusion and anger.
“His nephew?! No, that makes no sense. Are you sure you heard right?”
“I’m sure. I refused to believe it at first but there’s no way I could have misheard him”
“I need to speak to my father about this. Don’t worry, I won’t mention your name. As far as he needs to know it was me on the other side of that door and not you”
“Are you sure? I don’t want your father to be angry at you because of this” Hangeng frowned and Heechul gave him a gentle smile.
“I’m sure. My father is already angry with me for talking back to him the other day. If he’s been hiding something like this from my brother and I, he has no right to be angry for anything we have done.” Heechul stood from the bed and finished getting dressed before he roughly dried his hair with the towel. He was confused by Hangeng’s words but he couldn’t just ignore what he had been told. “Stay here, i’ll be back soon” Heechul smiled and kissed Hangeng’s forehead before leaving the room in search of his father.

 

Heechul walked down the hallway and towards the main wing of the palace where the meeting room and throne rooms were located. Over the past week alone so much had changed, with Kyuhyun’s new magic and the information about his mother, finding out that Junsu could possibly be their uncle took their lives in a direction neither of the prince’s would ever want to go in. As Heechul walked through the halls he sighed when he heard Junsu’s voice approaching from around the corner but before he could turn the other way Junsu spoke again.
“Your father has been asking for you, my lord” Junsu said softly as he gave the prince a small bow. Jaejoong stepped out from behind the younger blond man and smiled before reaching out to rest his hand on Heechul’s shoulder.
“Do not touch me, dog!” Heechul growled as he bared his fangs and hissed at the shapeshifter, his ears pointed upright as a warning to the other. Jaejoong pulled back his hand and stood beside Junsu looking defeated.
“My apologies. He didn’t mean you harm”
“You know how I feel about him, and his kind. You will do well to remember what I told you about keeping him away from me, Junsu. Now where is my father?” Heechul asked and Junsu nodded before stepping to the side for Heechul to pass.
“He is in the meeting room, sire” Junsu replied and Heechul nodded, keeping his eyes on Jaejoong as he walked past them and down the hallway.

 

When Heechul reached the meeting room he knocked before stepping inside. The king was sitting at the head of the table speaking with one of his guards but he looked up and smiled when he noticed Heechul enter the room.
“Ah, Heechul. Come in. I’m just finishing discussing the new guard detail we spoke about the other day” he smiled and Heechul nodded his head before taking a seat at the table. He watched his father closely and sighed to himself as he waited.
“Make sure all of your guards know this plan by the morning. That will be all, thank you” The King said softly and the guard stood before bowing to the king and eventually to Heechul.
“I will, my lord. Thank you. Good morning, prince Heechul” Heechul gave the guard a smile followed by a nod before he left the room, leaving the prince alone to speak with his father.

“I heard you wished to see me, father?”
“Yes. I take it you saw Junsu on your way through the palace?” The king asked and Heechul nodded before pulling a face.
“I did. I was actually on my way to see you. That dog of his had to audacity to try and touch me. Next time i’ll break his hand” he grumbled, earning a chuckle from the king. “Anyway, what did you want to see me about?”
“I was wondering if you’ve heard from your brother recently? I’ve heard nothing since he left other than what you told me of him being in hospital.” Heechul sighed.
“I haven’t spoken with him since I got back. But before I left he was back in his apartment so he could rest. He was having a hard time but he has Leeteuk with him so I know he’s alright”
“Leeteuk… He takes good care of Kyuhyun?” The king asked and Heechul nodded.
“Better than anybody else I know. They connect better than i’ve seen Kyuhyun ever connect with anybody else. It’s like they were made for each other”
“That’s good to hear. I wish to meet him one day”
“Maybe. That’s up to Kyuhyun to decide. I know at the moment he wants nothing to do with this place…” Heechul sighed, his voice turning into a mumble in the hopes that his father wouldn’t hear. But when the smile faded from the king's face Heechul knew his father had heard his every word.
“I can’t say i’m surprised after what happened.. I said a lot of things that I regret, no father should say those things to his son. The next time you see or speak to him can you tell him i’m sorry? I tried to call him over the weekend but he didn’t answer”
“I will, father.”

 

Heechul watched in silence when one of the guards entered the room and bowed before handing the king a small stack of papers for him to sign. As the room fell into silence Heechul watched his father closely while scratching his nails slowly at the table, his sharp black nails leaving tracks in the wood. When the king was finished he handed the papers back before the guard took his leave, leaving the two alone once again.
“Father… I need to speak to you about something but I don’t know how it will be taken..” Heechul sighed and the king’s head tilted curiously.
“You can speak to me about anything, Heechul. You know this. You are the future king of this realm, speak your mind” Heechul nodded his head briefly before moving his nails from the table and covering the markings with his hand.
“I couldn’t sleep last night so I went for a walk round the palace..” Heechul lied and the king nodded “I was walking down the corridor outside this room and I heard your voice. I heard you speaking with Junsu..” he paused, gauging his father’s reaction. He had hoped that what Hangeng had told him that morning was a misunderstanding, but when his father’s eyes widened slightly Heechul’s stomach turned.
“What did you hear? Junsu and I were speaking for a while”
“You were speaking with him about the day Eli hurt Kyuhyun. He denied it, obviously but..” he paused again, his nails sinking into the wood “Father, why did he ask you why he would want to harm his own nephew? And you called him brother. But that’s impossible, right? If he was your brother and mine and Kyuhyun’s uncle you would have told us.”

 

The king sighed and stood from his seat, walking over to lock the door before he stood by the window which overlooked the courtyard and smiled softly when he saw Junsu commanding the guards.

“I knew this day would come eventually. You’re 22 now Heechul, it’s time you knew the truth. I would have liked for Kyuhyun to be here when you both found out about this but I guess now is not the time for him to know” the king spoke softly, turning back to look at Heechul who was staring at his father with a look of disbelief. “Junsu isn’t just my advisor. He is my brother. Uncle to yourself and Kyuhyun. It’s a long story and never one I wanted to keep from you both, but it made sense at the time. Your relationship with Kyuhyun is much like my relationship with Junsu used to be. You protect each other, spend a lot time together and you’re loyal to each other. When I became king, Junsu and I had less time to spend with each other but he vowed to always protect me. After you were born he lost his claim to the throne and he had to give up on the idea of ever being king. Even though he lost his claim he vowed to always stay by my side, so in return I made him my chief advisor. He agreed but he didn’t want people to know who he really was. So at the time all of my staff were sworn to secrecy. But after the war most of my staff members perished and Junsu’s secret died with them. Only a few people know Junsu’s true identity now.” When the king had finished speaking he turned back to Heechul and frowned when he noticed his son’s tail swaying harshly behind him.

“You are our father. If he is our uncle don’t you think we of all people deserve to know?!” Heechul growled before he took a deep breath to calm himself. He stood from his seat and withdrew his nails from the wood before shaking his head. “I won’t get angry with you, father. But I cannot promise the same from Kyuhyun when he finds out about this. But father..” Heechul paused and looked towards his father with a sincere expression, something that the king noticed right away. “I know it isn’t something you wish to hear and Junsu will have told you otherwise, but what Kyuhyun told you about the day Eli attacked him really was true. After Junsu drove the dagger through Eli’s chest he told him that he wasn’t supposed to physically harm Kyuhyun and for that he paid the price. When you were on your way to us he dared us to tell you what he had done. But for Kyuhyun’s sake I kept it to myself, my mind was more focused on my brother’s life than it was on him. Please father, you have to believe us. Something isn’t right, we don’t trust Junsu.”

 

The king sighed softly and walked towards Heechul before resting his hand on his son’s shoulder. Heechul frowned and opened his mouth to speak before his father shook his head.
“You understand now why I have a hard time believing that Junsu would do such a thing, right?” he asked and Heechul shrugged. “He is my brother, Heechul. I’ve trusted him all of my life..” he paused before sighing in defeat. “But, you are my son’s and I know neither of you have reason to make something like this up. I know what Junsu can be like when he gets something into his head. I know it isn’t much but i’ll have him watched for the time being. It’s all I can do for now”

“Thank you, father. It’s all I ask. I will protect my brother with my life. If Junsu tries to harm him again while i’m around i’ll break his neck”
“That will not happen, Heechul. My guards will make sure of that. Is there anything else you wish to discuss?”
“No father, that was all. I’ll be in my room if you need me, although I might go and see Kyuhyun later so if I do i’ll give him your message” Heechul mumbled, giving his father a small smile and the king nodded his head before returning Heechul’s smile.
“Thank you for coming to see me, Heechul. I know what I told you isn’t something you thought you’d ever hear and I imagine it’s not something you wanted to hear but thank you for keeping a level head. I’m not sure how Kyuhyun will take it but i’ll tell him when things have settled”
“No, father. I’ll tell him. He’ll handle it better if I tell him. With how unpredictable his magic is right now there’s no way to guarantee that he won’t hurt you. He’ll have Leeteuk with him if I tell him so I’ll be alright, Leeteuk can calm Kyuhyun down and settle his magic”
“Make sure Kyuhyun never lets Leeteuk go. He seems to be just what your brother needs”
“Don’t worry father, I don’t think either of them plan on letting that happen. I’ll leave you to your duties” Heechul smiled and gave him a small bow before he left the room.

 

He couldn’t deny that what his father had told him about Junsu hadn’t bothered him. The man he had known all of his life for being his father’s advisor was really his uncle, but he wasn’t happy about it. How could he be happy when his own uncle had planned to bring harm to his brother? As he turned the corner and started to walk down the hallway adjacent to his bedroom Junsu stepped out of the shadows and blocked the prince’s path. Heechul frowned and clenched his fists at the sight of his uncle, his tail held low and straight with a slight bristle.
“Do not sneak up on me like that” He hissed and Junsu smiled apologetically before giving the prince a small bow of his head.
“My apologies, sire. I wanted to ask you how Kyuhyun was, we haven’t seen him for a while now”
“My brother is fine. The further away from this place he is the better he is” Heechul grumbled with a shrug before he flinched when he felt something touch his shoulder. He turned his head and frowned when he noticed Jaejoong standing uncomfortably close behind him, the shapeshifter’s hand resting on his shoulder. Heechul’s tail bristled before it began to thrash harshly.
“I told you not to touch me, filthy dog!” Heechul hissed and bared his fangs before he grabbed Jaejoong’s wrist and twisted harshly. Jaejoong let out a pained whimper and Junsu’s eyes widened, but before he could say or do anything, Heechul had the spot and grabbed Jaejoong by the throat, his nails sinking into the skin on his neck. “I guess I didn’t make myself clear enough before” The prince growled and turned to face one of the large windows leading out into the courtyard located on the floor below them.
“Please, my lord. He didn’t mean to-”
“Your dog needs to be taught a lesson, Junsu. And since you don’t seem capable of controlling him he will have to learn the hard way” Heechul hissed as he stared angrily at Jaejoong before throwing him backwards through the window. The glass shattered into hundreds of pieces and before Junsu could react Jaejoong landed on his back in the courtyard with a cry of pain. Junsu ran over to the window and frowned when Jaejoong curled into a ball and held his wrist against his chest.
“That was uncalled for!” Junsu yelled but Heechul shrugged before several guards appeared in the hallway having heard the smash.
“What’s going on here?” One of the guards asked, bowing their heads when they saw the prince standing beside Junsu.
“The window is broken” Heechul shrugged again, his voice nonchalant despite the situation “Get it fixed” he mumbled and gave Junsu a warning look before he continued to walk down the hallway towards his bedroom.

 

****

 

When Leeteuk awoke he yawned and opened his eyes. He looked around the room and smiled when he remembered the events of the past couple of days. Items of his and Kyuhyun's clothing were still scattered across the floor, reminding him that he was still beneath the sheets. He sat up and groaned a little as he stretched, his limbs were aching but it wasn’t an unwelcome ache. The curtains and balcony doors were open, filling the room with fresh air and light. Leeteuk guessed that it was early in the afternoon but he couldn’t be sure. He was about to lie back down and wait for Kyuhyun to return before the smell of food hit him and he frowned, suddenly realising how hungry he was.

 

Leeteuk pushed himself off the bed and wrapped the sheet around his body, rather than finding clean clothes, before walking out of the bedroom. He stopped in the doorway to the living room and smiled when he laid eyes on Kyuhyun. The demon prince was standing in front of the stove in a pair of shorts, humming softly to himself as he added something to the pan in front of him. Leeteuk narrowed his eyes and bit his lip when he noticed several bright red scratches down his boyfriend’s back but before he could speak he heard Kyuhyun chuckle.
“You were supposed to stay in bed so I could bring you breakfast” Kyuhyun hummed softly before he turned his head to give the angel a smile.
“Your back… i’m sorry” Leeteuk smiled sheepishly and walked through the living room and over to where Kyuhyun was stood before he ran his fingers gently down the scratches, earning a small grunt from the younger. “Does it hurt?”
“Only when you do that” Kyuhyun chuckled before he smiled when he felt Leeteuk press several small kisses on his back. “There’s no need to apologise. Every scratch was worth it. Besides..” he paused and turned to face Leeteuk, moving the sheet to expose the angel’s neck and chest. “It isn’t like you were the only one to leave a mark” he chuckled. There were three bite marks on Leeteuk’s neck and several purple bruises scattered over his chest.
“Did we really just spend all weekend in bed?” Leeteuk asked, earning a smirk from the younger.
“We certainly did” he grinned before capturing Leeteuk’s lips in a gentle kiss “Now go and sit down, I made you a ham, cheese and mushroom omelette”
“I didn’t know you could cook. How can you cook if you don’t eat?” Leeteuk asked as he pulled away from Kyuhyun and took a seat at the table, smiling when he noticed the rose placed by a glass of orange juice.
“I don’t know, I guess it’s a natural skill. I know my mother liked to cook so maybe it’s a natural talent I get from her” Kyuhyun smiled fondly as he thought back to the memories he had of his mother before she died. He moved the omelette from the pan to the plate before walking over and setting the plate down in front of Leeteuk. “We used to cook a lot before she died. I had a bad habit of getting in the way whenever she was in the kitchen so she would sit me on the counter and let me help her. I might not eat but at least I can surprise you with breakfast” he grinned. Leeteuk smiled and leaned over to press a kiss to Kyuhyun’s cheek when the younger sat down.
“Thank you. I could get used to this. Staying in bed all weekend, you making me breakfast, it’s nice” Leeteuk hummed happily before picking up his knife and fork and taking a bite from the omelette. Kyuhyun smiled and leaned back in his chair.
“This past weekend has been amazing. It was like the break i’ve needed from everything. Not just because we spent all weekend in bed either” he paused, smirking again proudly when he ran his eyes over the marks on Leeteuk’s torso as the older ate. “The fact that it was just the two of us together with nobody else to bother us made it perfect. I feel so much better. I feel like myself again. I’m ready to get back to reality”
“I’m glad you’re feeling better. You’re certainly looking like your usual self again. There is one thing we need to start though” Leeteuk said softly before pausing to finish the last few bites of his omelette. “But we can talk about that later. What do you want to do today?” he asked, wrapping the sheet around himself a little better and Kyuhyun grinned.
“Well.. You need to put on some clothes before we end up spending another day in bed. And you’ll probably want to shower but I need to see Heechul at some point. When I woke up I checked my phone and I had four missed called, two voicemail messages and four texts off him”
“You should call him back, he’s probably worried. I’m going to take a shower and then we can figure out how we’re spending today” Leeteuk smiled and stood from his seat. Kyuhyun nodded and stood with him before wrapping his arms around the older and holding him close.
“I love you, so much” he whispered softly and Leeteuk smiled as he returned the hug.
“I love you too, Kyuhyun. I promise that this won’t be the only weekend we spend together like this either. Now call your brother, i’ll be out soon.”

 

When Leeteuk had disappeared into the bathroom Kyuhyun walked through into the bedroom and picked up all of their clothes, throwing them into the laundry basket before grabbing his phone from the side. He walked back through into the living room, about to call Heechul when a message popped up on screen. A message received 30 minutes ago.

 

To: Kyuhyun
From: Heechul
Message: I’m coming over. I don’t know whether you’re home but I need to talk to you.

 

Kyuhyun sighed and slipped his phone back into his pocket before he picked up Leeteuk’s plate and put it into the sink with the rest of the dirty dishes. His ears pricked when he heard footsteps approaching his apartment. He dried his hands and walked over to the door before unlocking and opening it.
“Good afternoon, brother” Kyuhyun smiled as Heechul stepped into his apartment, giving the younger an unimpressed look on the way.
“Yah! Where the hell have you been? Don’t you check your phone anymore?” Heechul yelled before turning to Kyuhyun who was still standing by the door. Kyuhyun sighed and closed the door again before scratching his neck.
“I’m sorry I didn’t get back to you. I needed a break from things so Leeteuk and I just spent the weekend here away from everything” Kyuhyun said softly and Heechul nodded his head, giving his brother a not so subtle smirk when he finally turned back to face him.
“I can see that. Tell me, brother, did you finally get the angel in your bed or have you been fighting with a tiger?” Heechul chuckled and Kyuhyun rolled his eyes as he turned his head away, trying to hide the slight blush on his cheeks.
“Why would I have been fighting with a tiger? I swear your rhetorical questions make no sense”
“Well I could have been blunt but I wouldn’t want to embarrass Leeteuk. Where is he anyway?”
“He’s taking a shower. Take a seat or get yourself something to drink, i’ll be back in a minute” Kyuhyun shrugged as he pushed his brother over to the sofa before walking into his room to put on a t-shirt. On his way back out he smiled when the bathroom door opened slightly and Leeteuk poked his head out, his wet hair dripping on the floor as he looked around.
“Did I hear Heechul’s voice just now?”
“You certainly did. He asked if i’d been fighting a tiger when he saw my back” Kyuhyun chuckled and Leeteuk let out a frustrated sigh, his cheeks turning red.
“I’m not going to hear the end of that anytime soon, am I?” he asked and Kyuhyun grinned, shaking his head before pecking the older’s lips.
“Nope. We’ll be in the living room, just join us when you’re ready.”

 

When Kyuhyun entered the living room he frowned a little as he approached Heechul and took a seat beside him.
“Brother, what’s wrong?” he asked as he looked over the older’s features and presence. Heechul’s tail was curled around his body and his ears were turned back and flattened towards his head, there was something bothering Heechul and Kyuhyun knew it.
“I’m sorry. You’ve had such a nice weekend but now I feel like i’m about to ruin everything. I found something out about Junsu today, it isn’t something you’re going to want to hear but it shouldn’t be kept from you any longer than it has”
“What are you talking about? No matter what it is you can tell me”
“Junsu isn’t just father’s advisor. He’s his brother… and our uncle” Heechul started before pausing to gauge Kyuhyun’s reaction. The younger prince raised an eyebrow and shook his head before letting out a laugh.
“That’s some kind of joke, right?”
“No, Kyuhyun. It’s true. I spoke to father this morning and he told me everything. I don’t see any reason he would have to lie to me about this. He wanted to tell us together, when the time was right but you won’t answer his calls and I haven’t been able to get hold of you all weekend so..”
“So what, it’s my fault?”
“No, of course not. Don’t be stupid. The only reason father didn't tell you when he told me was because you weren’t there. He told me he would tell you but I figured you would do less damage if you heard it from me”
“Less damage?” Kyuhyun laughed, his voice holding almost no emotion, before he stood from the sofa “I’m going to go and see him. He can tell me to my face”

 

As Kyuhyun walked towards the door Heechul got up and ran past him, standing in front of the door with his hand tightly holding the handle. He shook his head.
“I can’t let you do that, Kyuhyun. Remember what happened last time you were there. You need to stay here until you’ve calmed down. Let it process before you make any decisions” Heechul said calmly and Kyuhyun scoffed.
“Like I care what happens to any of my father’s guards!”
“I’m not concerned for them. I’m concerned for you!”

“Don’t be! I can handle myself, now move out of my way” Kyuhyun hissed as he bared his fangs to his brother, surprising the older but he didn’t move. Kyuhyun stepped closer and let out a low growl as a slight blue glow started to appear in his eyes, but before he could do anything more Leeteuk walked out of the bathroom, his eyebrow raised curiously.

“Heechul, Kyuhyun, what’s going on?” He asked as he glanced between the two before reaching out to take Kyuhyun’s hand. Kyuhyun flinched for a moment at the touch before he sighed and relaxed a little, before Leeteuk squeezed his hand. “Okay, do either of you want to tell me what happened while I was in there?”
“The psychopath who sent Eli and Kevin to hurt you is my uncle, apparently” Kyuhyun mumbled under his breath before he walked away from his brother, and the door, to take a seat with Leeteuk on the sofa. Leeteuk looked over to Heechul for confirmation or an explanation but a nod of the older prince’s head was all the confirmation the angel needed.
“That’s Junsu, right?”
“Yeah. He’s always been close to my father but we just assumed it was because he got close as my father’s advisor, but I guess it makes sense if they’re brothers”
“I’m still waiting for you to tell me this is one big joke” Kyuhyun spoke quietly as he looked down at the floor before he sighed “But I guess i’ll be waiting for a while because a part of me knows you’re telling the truth. Why can’t our family just be normal? Just you, me and our father. Why does he have to be part of it?”
“You can’t chose your family, I guess. He has no standing to the throne though so no matter what he does he will always remain below us. Also, I spoke with our father about what happened on the night Eli hurt you, Kyuhyun” Heechul added and Kyuhyun nodded a little. Heechul continued. “He said he would have Junsu watched for the time being. He knows we have no reason to lie”
“Good. Although he should have believed me in the first place”
 

The three sat in silence for the next couple of minutes as Kyuhyun sat staring at the floor while Leeteuk ran his fingers calmingly up and down the younger’s back. Heechul and Leeteuk shared a worried glance towards each other as Heechul picked at his nails, frowning at the dried blood hidden beneath them.

“If it makes you feel any better, I threw Jaejoong through a window” Heechul chuckled and Kyuhyun grinned, making Leeteuk laugh softly. “I think I broke his wrist first too”
“Why did you throw somebody through a window?” Leeteuk asked, glancing to Kyuhyun whose face still held a grin.
“Jaejoong is Junsu’s… I don’t know, I guess you could call him a boyfriend. We just call him a pet. He’s a shapeshifter whose natural shift is a wolf. So naturally I can’t stand to be around him. He attempted to lay a finger on me before I spoke to my father and I threatened him. After seeing my father, Jaejoong stupidly decided to put his hand on my shoulder. I grabbed his wrist, twisted it hard and i'm pretty sure I heard something crack. Throwing him through the window was my way of teaching him a lesson. And I guess it served as a warning to Junsu at the same time”
“Thank you, Heechul. That made me feel a little better. I guess I should probably go and see father at some point but honestly, i’m not sure I can face being there until my light magic is stable”
“We’ll get your magic under control, Kyuhyun. And when we do it will be up to you when you use it, not because of random chance” Leeteuk smiled as Kyuhyun leaned against him, resting his head against the angel’s chest.
“I know.. Can we just forget about all of this for now, please? No more mentions of Junsu, Jaejoong or my father for the time being”
“Of course, brother. Would you two love birds prefer for me to leave so you can be alone again?” Heechul asked as he looked to the pair cuddled up on the sofa and wiggled his eyebrows. Leeteuk looked down at Kyuhyun and pressed a kiss to the younger’s head before speaking.
“It’s up to you, I don’t mind either way”
“You can stay. We don’t mind. It’s about time we were out of bed anyway” Kyuhyun smiled “Maybe we can make a start on trying to figure out my light magic? Three heads are surely better than one, or even two”
“You’re blushing, Leeteuk” Heechul smirked and Leeteuk shook his head before he buried his face in the crook of Kyuhyun’s neck, earning a chuckle from the younger.

 

****

 

Sungmin walked through the courtyards of the place with a smile on his face as he looked up at the passing clouds. The prince had spent the day with his father, to get a feel for the duties that will be his own in the future. Spending the entire day in his father’s presence meant he had no time to see Siwon, much to his disappointment. As he walked the palace grounds he looked around the quiet courtyard before taking a seat on one of the benches. It had been a while since he has spoken with Leeteuk but he knew the angel would be busy with Kyuhyun. Something had felt odd since the prince's last encounter with the demon prince, seeing his eyes glowing blue left Sungmin with several questions, none of which he felt comfortable enough to ask Kyuhyun about himself. He took out his phone before sending Leeteuk a message.

 

To: Leeteuk

From: Sungmin

Message: Hey Leeteuk. Are you busy later? I wonder if you would come and see me, I need to speak with you about something. Don't worry it's nothing bad, i’m not picking any fights.

 

It didn’t take long before his phone buzzed again in his hand and he checked the message, smiling to himself.

 

To: Sungmin

From: Leeteuk

Message: I finish work in a couple of hours so I can come and see you then. Kyuhyun’s brother has taken him out to help take his mind off a few things and they won’t be back until later tonight so i’ll be free for a while. I have work to do so i’ll see you in a bit. And thank you again for trying with Kyuhyun, it means a lot.

 

Sungmin set his phone down beside himself and looked up at the moving clouds once again before a hand on his shoulder startled him.

"Yah! What are-" he started, cutting himself off when he looked up to see Siwon smiling down at him.

"Forgive me, my lord. I didn't mean to scare you. I have duties to attend to later but I have a little time free right now so I wanted to see you"

"Siwon!" Sungmin beamed, his smile mirroring the doctors "I've wanted to see you since last night but I've been with my father all day"

"I know. Don't worry, I can wait. Are you free now? We could spend some time together if you are, before we have to get back to our duties"

"Yes. I’d like that, a lot. Take a seat” Sungmin smiled softly and patted the bench beside himself “Talking here won’t give anything away if someone were to see”
“Of course. Is something on your mind, sire?” Siwon asked as he took a seat beside Sungmin, brushing his fingers over the prince’s hand as he leaned back. Sungmin smiled and a faint blush dusted his cheeks at the action.
“I have a lot on my mind, actually. My father has told me so many things today that i’ll have to learn for when I am emperor. And even though things are a little bit better between Kyuhyun and I now, something still doesn’t feel right”
“What do you mean?”
“He’s not like the other demons. I know he’s half human and that’s probably why, but i’ve never met anyone like him before. Why does my father seem to trust him so much?” Sungmin asked and Siwon sighed, scratching his head.
“I think you need to speak with your father about it, Sungmin”
“You’ve treated him. Surely you must know why he is so different to all of the other demons? What do you know about him, Siwon? Is there anything I should know?”

 

Siwon looked at Sungmin with a heartfelt expression. His face held a gentle smile but inside of his mind a struggle was taking place on whether or not he should tell the prince Kyuhyun’s true identity. He set his files down on his lap and rested his hands on top before breathing in and out deeply.
“I can’t explain everything to you, Sungmin, as much as I would like to. It isn’t my place. Speak to your father or Leeteuk. But what I can tell you is Kyuhyun is fragile, I know he doesn’t seem it but he is. He lost his mother when he was just five years old. And to make the situation worse she was killed in front of him. Losing her affected him badly, as it would any child at that age, and it still does to this day” he paused and glanced at the scars on Sungmin’s neck before continuing “He has scars on his wrists. He wears a lot of long sleeved clothing to stop them being seen so easily. But being a doctor i’ve seen similar scars before. They are scars that could have only been inflicted with a sharp blade. Be careful around him, sire. For both your sakes”

“I really screwed up the other day. I said something bad about his mother and he could have killed me for it. He probably would have if it weren’t for Leeteuk being there. It makes more sense now, I knew he was only young when she died but I didn’t realise that she was killed in front of him. Do you know how old he was when he..” Sungmin paused and motioned to his wrist, finding himself unable to say the words out loud. Siwon nodded.
“He was nine. Leeteuk didn’t really tell me anything else about it though. That is all I can tell you, Sungmin. Speak to Leeteuk, if you are allowed to know the full story i’m sure he will tell you himself if Kyuhyun allows him to”
“I need to start over. I judged Kyuhyun before I officially met him so when we did meet all I wanted was for him to be as far away from my cousin as possible. But I see it now, the way they look at each other, the way they care for and protect each other. Leeteuk is safe. He’s happy. Who am I to try and take that away from him? Leeteuk is like a brother to me, I won’t be the one to take away his happiness” Siwon smiled as he glanced around the courtyard before taking Sungmin’s hand gently in his own. Sungmin smiled in return, not caring whether or not there was anybody around to see, he was enjoying the doctors warmth against his own hand too much.

“I’m proud of you, Sungmin. When the time comes I know you will be a great Emperor”
“Will you stay in the palace and keep your current position when i’m Emperor? Not only are you an integral part of the palace now but I don’t think i’d like it very much if you were to leave” Sungmin spoke softly as he played with one of Siwon’s fingers. Siwon smiled.
“I wouldn’t dream of leaving the palace, my lord. I could never leave you behind. Come with me, let's go somewhere more private where we don’t have to worry about being seen”
“There’s a lot going on around the hallway to my bedroom today. They’re repairing part of the floor. Let's go to your room, it will be quieter.”

 

Sungmin stood from the bench and pulled Siwon with him. Siwon smiled before letting go of the prince’s hand and picking up his file from the bench.

"I have to just go and drop this file off with my team. Here's my room key, I'll meet you there in ten minutes"

"Lucky for you that gives me enough time to get comfortable" Sungmin purred as he leaned in and brushed his lips over the doctors ear. Luckily the courtyard was quiet and nobody was around to see them. Siwon shivered and Sungmin spoke softly "If it wasn’t suspicious i’d go to my room to change. Be in your room in five minutes, and this time you don’t need to keep your hands off me"

“Sire, if you wish to feel more comfortable you can wear one of my shirts.. Although, i’ll only be taking it off you when I get to my room”
“Good. Now go and get rid of that file. I’ll be waiting” Sungmin smiled and gave Siwon a wink before he pulled away from the doctor and made his way back inside, glancing back in time to see Siwon disappear into the medial wing of the palace.