Predatory

Sovereignty

A/N: I'm having more and more fun writing these chapters now. The hardest thing is naming all of them with something appropriate. Things are getting exciting/ interesting/ frustrating, depending on how you feel about what's going on :P Chapters seem to be getting longer too but I doubt anybody will mind that somehow~ I hope you enjoy this chapter guys!

As always, comments and feedback are appreciated.

 


 

By the time Leeteuk arrived at the light realm the sun had already set and the streets were quiet. He was tired and frustrated thanks to the various text messages he had received from Kyuhyun during the time that he was at work. Even spending time with Heechul didn’t seem to take the dark prince's’ mind away from wanting to be back in bed with Leeteuk. As a result Leeteuk had spent a big part of the day daydreaming and getting lost in his own thoughts.

He made his way up to the palace gates and greeted both of the guards stationed there with a smile while he waited for the locks to be released. He looked up at the stars with a small smile as his eyes fixed on the brightest star in the sky, a star that always made him think of his mother.
“Welcome back, Leeteuk, come on through” One of the guards spoke softly and Leeteuk smiled again.
“Thank you both. It’s a nice night tonight. Enjoy the rest of the night” he grinned before walking through the gates and continuing up the path towards the main doors of the palace. The palace was still brightly lit both inside and out, suggesting the royal family were still very much awake.

 

Leeteuk opened the door and walked inside before making his way through the hallway and to the throne room.
“Hello? Sungmin are you here?” He called out softly and opened the doors to look inside but Sungmin wasn’t inside, instead he was greeted by Emperor Lee, Changmin and Yunho. All three were sitting around the throne, smiling softly as Leeteuk walked inside.
“Good evening, Leeteuk. You’re here late, is something wrong?” The Emperor asked and Leeteuk shook his head, giving his uncle a smile.
“Good evening, uncle. I don’t think so, Sungmin asked me to come over because he wants to speak to me about something. Do you know where he is?” Leeteuk asked and the emperor shook his head.
“I saw him a couple of hours ago but I haven’t seen him since. Check his room, i’m sure he’s around somewhere” he paused, giving Changmin and Yunho a quick nod of his head before he stood from the throne and approached Leeteuk with a soft smile. “Leeteuk, how is Kyuhyun doing? We haven’t heard from you for a few days”
“He’s doing better. A lot better in fact. On Friday he managed to use his light magic without it harming him. He controlled it only for a brief moment but it’s a start. We spent the weekend together away from everything else to give him a break” he paused, a smile stretching over his face “He’s feeling a lot better for it.”

“That’s great news! Even the smallest moment of control gives hope that one day he will fully master his light magic. Tell him I look forward to seeing him tomorrow”
“I will, uncle. Thank you. You don’t know how much it means to me that you’re helping him and I know he appreciates it too. So many people in this realm would have simply turned him away and left him to figure this out on his own”
“There is no need to thank me, Leeteuk. If your mother were here she would never let me turn him away. She would make sure I was there for him since his mother can’t be. I’m glad you both have each other” The emperor smiled before embracing Leeteuk. Leeteuk smiled sadly and sighed as he returned his uncle’s embrace. “Now go and find that son of mine. And when you see him tell him that he is to meet me here at nine o’clock tomorrow morning”
“I will, uncle. Thank you” Leeteuk smiled as they parted and he bowed his head before turning to leave the room.

 

The hallway leading up to Sungmin's room was surprisingly busy for that time of the night. Normally the hallway to the prince's room was quiet, with only a few guards making their usual patrols, but due to the replacement of some of of the floor panels the hallway was littered with both guards and work men alike. Leeteuk avoided most of the construction work as he made his way to Sungmin's room, greeting the guards as he passed down one of the smaller corridors leading to the far end of the hallway.

When he arrived at Sungmin's room he knocked three times before entering

It was a system he and Sungmin had decided on a couple of years ago as a way of telling them apart from everyone else.

"Sungmin?" Leeteuk called out softly as he looked around the room but he sighed when he didn't see the prince. "Where are you?" He grumbled to himself and walked over to sit on the bed, leaning back on his hands while he waited. Just moments later the door to Sungmin's bathroom opened and Leeteuk raised his head, noticing that his cousin had obviously just showered.

"So that's where you were!" Leeteuk said suddenly and Sungmin looked up, his eyes wide.

"Yah! You scared me. How long have you been here?"

"Long enough. Your father said he hadn't seen you for a while so I just figured you would be here"

"I'm sorry for keeping you waiting, I was working out earlier so I needed to shower" Sungmin lied, smiling to himself when he turned away from Leeteuk to grab his clothes from the dresser. Leeteuk narrowed his eyes a little and got up from the bed before making his way over to where Sungmin was standing.

"Sungmin.. what's this?" He asked softly as he reached out and touched his finger over a faint bruise on Sungmin's shoulder. There were several marks of the same kind scattered over the prince's shoulder and neck but it was only when he was standing closer that he noticed an obvious bite mark on his cousins collarbone. "Sungmin.." He mumbled and Sungmin looked away, blushing furiously.

"It’s nothing, don’t worry about it" Sungmin smiled but the look in Leeteuk's eyes was obvious.

"That is a bite mark but it isn’t the kind made by a demon. And this” he paused and pointed to one of the faint bruises on his cousin's neck “We both know what that is. Does your father know?” he asked causing Sungmin to sigh and shake his head before pulling on a t shirt.
“No. Nobody knows, well except for you now anyway. My father cannot know, Leeteuk. He can’t”
“Don’t worry I understand. But don’t think this means you get out of telling me. So come on, who is he?” Leeteuk asked, letting out a chuckle when Sungmin gave him a questioning look. “I know whoever you're sleeping with is male. That bite mark on your collarbone is too big to be that of a female. Plus let’s face it, you always were one to prefer the company of men” he smirked and Sungmin rolled his eyes, pouting softly.
“You’re becoming more like Kyuhyun everyday. Yes, he’s a guy. And yes, I do prefer to sleep with men. I need my freedom because we both know that my father wants me to marry. And when he finds someone he thinks is worthy I will be married…”
“I know, Sungmin. I understand don’t worry. Just be careful. Does this mystery man have a name?”
“Yes… Siwon”
“Siwon?! As in Dr Choi” Leeteuk asked, surprised by his cousin’s admission. And when Sungmin nodded a grin stretched across Leeteuk’s face.

"Well at least I know he's going to treat you properly. How long have you been seeing him?"

"Not long. It literally started when I got back from Kyuhyun’s apartment the other day. My father made me see him to make sure I was alright. It turns out my feelings for him weren't as one sided as I expected them to be"

"That's good. I'm glad he makes you happy. Just be careful, okay?" Leeteuk smiled and Sungmin nodded and returned Leeteuk's smile warmly before drying his hair.

 

After a few short minutes Sungmin grabbed Leeteuk's wrist gently and lead him outside onto the balcony, away from the risk of anybody hearing their conversation.

"Out here will be better. There are too many guards around lately. I wanted to talk to you about Kyuhyun" Sungmin spoke softly, and at the sound of his boyfriend’s name Leeteuk raised an eyebrow in both confusion and curiosity. "Siwon and I were talking earlier, about the other week. He told me what you told him about Kyuhyun's bad past.. his self harm.." He mumbled cautiously and Leeteuk nodded.

"He shouldn’t have told you about that.."

"I know but I needed to know more about Kyuhyun, about why he is the way he is. Don't worry though, he didn't tell me anything else. But I know there is something else.. I just.. I feel awful about how I've treated him but I don't feel like I know him well enough to change things"

"I understand, don't worry.." Leeteuk smiled, pausing briefly before letting out a sigh "I checked with Kyuhyun before I left to make sure you were okay to know what I'm about to tell you, but you cannot tell anybody. Do you understand? If you do Kyuhyun is likely to kill you.. There are only six people including me who know what i’m about to tell you. It’s for Kyuhyun’s own safety that it has to stay hidden, for now at least"

“I understand. I won’t tell a soul, I swear on my life”
“So you already know a little about Kyuhyun’s past just based on what Siwon told you. I take it he told you how old Kyuhyun was when he tried to kill himself?” Leeteuk asked and Sungmin nodded. “We still don’t know why his mother was killed. Kyuhyun doesn’t know but i’m trying to find out both who killed her and why, so far i’m no closer to finding out. But I think it has something to do with what she was” Leeteuk paused for a moment and glanced at Sungmin. There was an obvious look of confusion on his cousin's face but it was also a look that the angel had expected.
“His mother was human… wasn’t she?” Sungmin asked and Leeteuk shook his head.
“No. When Kyuhyun was locked in the cells the other week your father sensed something about him. Something different yet very familiar. After long talks with Yunho and Changmin he found out what it was. Your father knew Kyuhyun’s mother… She was an angel, and very close friends with my mother. Kyuhyun and I were practically inseparable when we were young, according to your father, I have the memories that prove it but I didn’t realise it was Kyuhyun because he was known by another name when he was younger, plus everybody thought he died the same night his mother was killed.” Leeteuk paused and let out a small sigh upon seeing the look of confusion and disappointment on Sungmin’s face. He reached out to rest his hand on his cousin's shoulder but Sungmin shook his head, stepping away from the older.

“You've all known this for all of this time but nobody thought to tell me?” Sungmin scoffed, earning a frown from the elder.

“Don't you dare make this about you, Sungmin! Changmin and Yunho answer to your father and your father alone. Your father was the one who decided that nobody else should know. Heechul is Kyuhyun’s brother, and after his unidentified magic left him in a coma, Heechul needed to know. If certain people found out Kyuhyun’s true identity he would be in danger, not only in the dark realm but in the human realm too”

“So what, he's a half breed and my father suddenly loves him?”

“Technically he is a Nephilim. And potentially the last remaining Nephilim in existence, that we know about anyway. Your father made a promise to Kyuhyun’s mother when she was alive that he would take care of him if anything ever happened to her. Your father is keeping his promise to a lost friend”
“I’ve heard of the Nephilim. They were powerful, strong and were looked up to by both the light and the dark realm. But I also know that many people were afraid of them and the power they held. If Kyuhyun is a Nephilim why can’t he protect himself against the people who would wish to harm him?” Sungmin asked. It was obvious from the look on the prince’s face that he was annoyed that his father had kept the information about Kyuhyun from him. Did he not trust his only son, the future emperor, with such a secret?

 

Leeteuk leaned against the balcony rails and ran his fingers through his hair before he turned his head to look at Sungmin, giving his cousin an understanding smile.
“He can’t control it. At least not yet anyway. He has control over his dark magic but until a few weeks ago we didn’t know he even had light magic. The reason that he was being treated by Siwon the other week was because of his light magic… It overpowered him and he slipped into a coma. We didn’t know whether he would wake up or still be himself when he did. Thankfully he’s still okay” he paused for a moment as he studied Sungmin’s face, noticing the obvious change in his cousin's features as he pieced the new information together. “The night in Kyuhyun’s apartment when he threatened to hurt you-”
“His eyes. They were blue. That was his light magic?” Sungmin asked suddenly, cutting Leeteuk off mid sentence, but the elder didn’t mind if it meant that Sungmin was finally allowing himself to understand the situation. Leeteuk nodded.
“Yes. The main trigger he has for his light magic so far, that we know of, is anger or sadness. That night he was upset. The day he slipped into a coma he was angry. He’s slowly getting a handle on how to control it but he has a lot more magic than we know of, we’re just trying to figure out how he can use it without hurting himself. He’s coming here tomorrow to speak with your father so hopefully that will help”
“I’ll help where I can. Thank you for telling me this, Leeteuk. I really do appreciate it”
“I have wanted to tell you for a few weeks now but until we knew more about what was happening I wasn’t sure that telling anybody else would be a good idea. Kyuhyun and I were talking about it and he told me that I could tell you. He’s slowly starting to trust you, so please Sungmin, try to do the same” Leeteuk smiled and Sungmin nodded before shifting to give the older man a tight hug.
“I will, I promise”

 

***

 

Jaejoong walked the streets of the human realm late that night, stalking out his pray in an attempt to cure his boredom. Junsu was busy and had been for the majority of the night, leaving the young shapeshifter to fend for himself. The injury inflicted on him by prince Heechul had now healed and he was back at full strength, giving him the advantage that his victims never had. He turned a corner and narrowed his eyes through the darkness before he caught the sight of a man walking alone through the darkness. It was a dangerous time to be on the streets alone, especially after dark. He followed the man down the street, every moment getting that much closer to the man that would soon be just another victim to him.

“Excuse me” He called out softly, his voice changing suddenly to sound a lot more innocent than the man behind it “Can you help me, please?” The man ahead of Jaejoong stopped and turned around, confirming the shapeshifters suspicions when he noticed the soft blue hue of the stranger’s eyes, even in the darkness.
“Is everything alright?” The stranger asked as Jaejoong walked closer. As he studied the young man in front of him his eyes widened and he stepped backwards when he noticed the red colour in Jaejoong’s eyes and the collar around his neck. “I.. I can’t help you”
“What’s wrong? You look like you’ve seen a ghost” Jaejoong smiled, flashing his fangs to the man in front of him before he stepped forward and in an instant he was standing face to face with the angel, giving him no room to escape.
“I have nothing to give you. Please, just let me go” The man pleaded but just from looking into the shapeshifters eyes he knew that wasn’t an option.
“You don’t have to give me a thing. I just want something to play with” Jaejoong pouted and rocked back on his heels “You see, my master has been very busy tonight so i’ve had nobody to play with” he paused and ran his eyes over the angel before smirking “Will you play with me? Hm?” he hummed softly as he reached out to run his nails along the stranger’s cheek, his smirk turning into a smile. The stranger shook his head but before he could move or speak Jaejoong’s fangs were deep in his neck.

 

A strangled cry of pain left the angel’s throat as his neck was torn open and blood flowed freely into the demon’s mouth, as well as down the angel's chest and back. Jaejoong growled proudly at the whimpers and cries and within seconds he released his hold on the stranger’s body, letting him fall to the floor. Jaejoong tilted his head back and let out a deep breath as he opened his eyes and looked up at the sky. His eyes were glowing red but held a deep orange tint to them, something that happened when he consumed fresh blood. Jaejoong looked down at the angel at his feet and tilted his head to the side with a smile. The angel was clutching desperately at his neck in an attempt to stop the bleeding but it was useless.
“You should really do something about that blood. Don’t want it staining your clothes” Jaejoong laughed before footsteps behind him caught his attention. He wiped the blood from his mouth and chin as he turned around, his expression softening when he noticed another angel approaching.

The new angel was different and Jaejoong knew right away. He could already tell that this angel was stronger than the ordinary angels he had met in his life.
“If you value the existance you call a life you will leave now and never return” The angel spoke sternly as he walked through the shadows and closer to Jaejoong.
“And who are you to tell me what to do? I could probably end you before you could speak another word but-” Jaejoong started, his words cut off when the angel stepped beneath one of the street lights. “But why would I do that? Hello there good looking” he purred. Jaejoong ran his eyes over the angel now standing just metres from him, impressed by what he saw if not a little intimidated at the same time. The angel was tall and slim, although even with the suit he was wearing it was obvious to Jaejoong that the angel was muscular. His hair was dark brown and his skin tanned, a stark contrast to Jaejoong’s own pale skin.

“Do not think you can charm me, dog. I know what you are, I know who you are. You're not welcome in this realm, Kim Jaejoong”

Jaejoong blinked when the angel spoke his name. His name spoken from the angel's lips suddenly sounded more pleasant and pure than it had ever sounded to him before, he felt himself craving for the angel to say it if only once more.

“Hearing my name coming from your lips is such a turn on right now” Jaejoong groaned as he took a step closer to the angel, humming softly. He continued to study the angel in front of him before something caught his eye when he noticed a ring on the man's finger. It wasn't a wedding or engagement ring but it was sitting proudly on his left hand for everyone to see. When Jaejoong looked closer he narrowed his eyes before eventually making out a familiar family crest on the ring.

“The Lee family crest… You're one of Emperor Lee’s guards..”

“Correct. My name is Yunho. You will do well to remember that because if i catch you here again I will not be so forgiving”

“Why would I leave when your face and your voice are my favourite things about tonight?” Jaejoong hummed happily before he narrowed his eyes a little. Yunho turned his head to the side as Jaejoong spoke. He couldn't help but smile at the demon's words and Jaejoong noticed instantly. “You're smiling. There's hope for you yet”

 

Yunho closed his eyes for a moment and sighed. Everything about the current situation made the angel uncomfortable but he found himself unable to walk away. He had committed his life to serving Emperor Lee and, as a result, had given up any thoughts or feelings that could potentially jeopardise his devotion to the emperor. Jaejoong was the very thing Yunho despised the most in life but he found himself liking the attention he was receiving from the demon, attention he was anything but used to. Jaejoong took a step closer to Yunho, who instantly took two steps back, before he smiled.
“You’re uneasy around me, aren’t you? I understand. But don’t worry, I would never dream of harming that handsome face. Plus i’m sure somebody in such close standing with Emperor Lee would have the power to stop me anyway”
“You are right, I do have the power to stop you. And if you push me to use it I will not hesitate to do so. If you lay a finger on anybody else in this realm I will make sure it is the last thing you do.” Jaejoong smiled and gave a gentle nod of his head, even though his smile was sweet the sharp fangs in the shapeshifters mouth reminded Yunho not to drop his guard.
“Yunho, Yunho, Yunho, Yunho” Jaejoong repeated softly as he seemingly danced closer to the angel before pressing a hand to his chest and pushing him backwards to the wall. Yunho froze at the contact, partially because he was so unused to physical contact but mainly because of who the contact was coming from. “I like you. You should play with me sometime” Jaejoong paused, humming softly while he ran his hand along the angel’s muscular chest before stopping above his heart. He looked up the small distance to look into Yunho’s eyes. “Your heart is beating so fast. Are you scared? Or maybe this is exciting for you?” Yunho swallowed hard as Jaejoong reached up and rested his hand on the angel’s cheek, his sharp nails brushing gently over Yunho’s tanned skin. Jaejoong hummed happily and leaned closer to Yunho’s lips before he closed his eyes, but before Jaejoong could make another move Yunho’s eyes opened wide when he felt the shapeshifter’s sharp nail cut across his cheek. It didn’t hurt much but the sharp scratch across his skin was enough to draw blood and bring Yunho back into reality. His face contorted in anger before he pushed Jaejoong back harshly, sending him tumbling backwards to the floor.
“Do not think you can charm me into falling for you!” Yunho shouted down at a very startled Jaejoong, who was now sitting on the floor looking up at the angel, his eyes glowing red at the scent of the angel’s blood “Go home to your master Jaejoong, maybe then I won’t kill you.”

 

Yunho stepped away from the wall and from Jaejoong before he walked over to the middle of the street where the other angel lay. He was now unconscious, lying in a slow growing pool of his own blood, Yunho sighed. He always hated losing one of his own kind. No matter how much or little he knew them they were still a part of his family, a part of him. He knelt down and spoke softly and as much as Jaejoong listened and tried to understand, the angel’s words were foreign to him. Jaejoong tilted his head curiously and wrapped his arms around his knees as he watched Yunho do something he had never seen before. Yunho closed his eyes and rested his hand over the angel’s heart, his chest was rising and falling slowly and his breathing was labored, he was close to death, fading every second, and Yunho knew this. Jaejoong watched in awe when Yunho’s eyes opened and gently began to glow before they closed again. After just a couple of minutes Yunho pulled back his hand and sighed as he looked down at the angel who was now laying completely still.
“Rest easy, friend. You are at peace now.” When Jaejoong finally stood up he brushed himself off as he kept his eyes on Yunho whilst still keeping his distance from the angel.
“What did you just do to him?” He asked curiously, his voice soft to the point of almost sounding concerned for the angel. Yunho sighed again before he stood up and held up his hand, showing the shapeshifter the blood across his palm.
“I fixed the problem that you created. You did this to him. You took away a husband and a child’s father tonight. I took away his pain and now he is at peace, I cannot however say the same for his family.”

“I need to feed..” Jaejoong mumbled quietly as a sudden wave of guilt washed over him. He had never felt guilty for hurting anybody before, it was a new feeling that only Yunho seemed capable of making him feel. “Yunho, i’m sorry..”
“Just go home” Yunho shrugged as he wiped his bloody hand on his jeans before using his other hand to touch the cut on his cheek. He flinched a little at the contact but once he made sure the bleeding had stopped he turned away from Jaejoong without another word before walking back down the street and disappearing out of sight.

 

****

 

The sun was shining low in the sky over the human realm. The time was fast approaching noon and the streets were busy with consumers and workers going about their day. Some were meeting with their loved ones, others were keeping to themselves as they focused on getting from A to B without incident.

Life was different away from the city.

Three miles north of the high rise buildings and busy city streets people lived quieter lives. The shops, hotels and bars were replaced with farmland, rivers and fields, stretching as far as the eye could see. Farmers kept to themselves and avoided almost all interaction with the people in the city, only venturing in themselves to sell their crops and resupply their equipment.

 

"So how does it work? Angels use their magic for protection and for good, right?" Heechul asked as he and Kyuhyun lay in a field beside a small stream. There was a slight breeze and Kyuhyun lay with his eyes closed, partially to shield his eyes from the sun's rays as well as to help himself relax. He smiled as Heechul spoke and pushed up his sunglasses with his free hand before he opened his eyes and sat up. He never got tired of being out in the countryside, despite the sunlight being uncomfortable for him, he enjoyed the quiet and the fresh air. He picked a handful of grass before letting it fall through his fingers.

"I think so but I don’t really know yet. I'm meeting with Emperor Lee tomorrow to speak to him more in depth about it all. When i'm angry or scared it seems to happen without a second thought. Kind of like a fight or flight reflex"

"It’s weird knowing that my brother has a connection to the light realm. And it’s even more weird that you can just go and see Emperor Lee whenever you want. It sounds like he almost treats you like family”
“How do you think I feel having this power inside of me that I can’t control yet? A power so strong it could kill me” Kyuhyun paused and sighed “I’m actually grateful to have Emperor Lee on my side. Before he figured out the connection between my mother and I, I was sitting on the floor in a dark, damp cell with chains around my wrists that even I couldn’t break. And now i’m discovering this whole other part of myself. He gave me the chance that not many people would have and for that I will be forever grateful to him.” Heechul reached out and wrapped his arm around Kyuhyun’s shoulder, giving him a lazy hug. Kyuhyun smiled.
“I’m proud of you, brother. You’re stronger than you think and I know i’m not the only one who thinks so. When the time is right I would like to meet with Emperor Lee and shake his hand for what he’s done for you”
“I’ll speak to him about it” Kyuhyun smiled again and rested his head on Heechul’s shoulder. “I’ll believe that i’m strong when I get my magic under control and live to tell the tale”

“Yeah, about that. That’s part of the reason we’re here today. Leeteuk asked me to help you. And since he is helping you with the mental side of your magic, it’s my job to help you with the physical" Heechul hummed softly and he stood up before walking away from Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow and got up from the grass and brushed himself off.

 

There was a strong gust of wind which blew Kyuhyun’s hair into his face, obscuring his vision momentarily until he brushed his hair back.

"Brother what are you-" he started, his eyes widening when Heechul was suddenly running at him full speed. Before he had the chance to react he was knocked off his feet and backwards on to the grass, landing with an uncomfortable grunt.

"Yah! What the hell are you doing you idiot?!" He shouted but he couldn’t help but laugh when Heechul sat up beside him and began to laugh.

"You were supposed to do something!"

"I did. I stood there like an idiot and then got tackled by my idiot brother!"

“If somebody came running towards you with a knife you would just stand there and let them kill you?” Heechul asked and Kyuhyun scoffed.
“Of course not, but it would help if you would at least tell me what you’re doing instead of running at me and expecting me to know what to do.”

“You said you had a fight or flight reflex, I expected you to use it.” Heechul smirked.

“Come on brother, let’s try this again.” Heechul stood and brushed himself off before he extended his hand for Kyuhyun to take.

“I don’t know how. It isn’t as easy as it sounds. And I still have to be careful,” Kyuhyun spoke softly as he took Heechul’s hand and stood up. Heechul fell quiet for a moment, his tail swaying gently behind himself before he curled it around his leg and out of the way. His features hardened as he stood in front of Kyuhyun, something the younger prince noticed straight away. Kyuhyun visibly tensed and stepped backwards causing Heechul to let out a low chuckle.

“Tell me, what happens when father finds out about Leeteuk?” He asked, tilting his head slightly “What happens when he refuses to let you see him? Will you try to stop him when he attempts to kill him?”
“What... Father won’t do that. Leeteuk makes me happy,” Kyuhyun mumbled before he let out a frustrated puff of air through his nose.

“Father won’t allow you to date anyone from the light realm. How do you think he will feel when he finds out what you really are? He won’t accept the fact that his youngest son is the thing he hates the most.” Kyuhyun growled lowly in his throat and shook his head as he balled his hands into fists. He knew what Heechul was doing, after all nobody knew Kyuhyun better than his own brother.

 

As Heechul continued to speak Kyuhyun closed his eyes and focused his ears on anything other than his brother’s voice. He focused on the sound of the stream in the field close by, listening to the water flowing gently over rocks as the breeze rustled the trees above. He concentrated his frustration on the area around them before he opened his eyes again. Heechul stepped forward and narrowed his eyes when he noticed a soft blue glow coming from behind Kyuhyun’s glasses. Before Heechul could move or speak Kyuhyun’s hands opened and a strong shock wave radiated from his palms, throwing Heechul backwards and flattening the grass around them. Heechul landed on the grass more than two metres away from where he was standing with a grunt of pain, his tail was trapped uncomfortably between his leg and the ground until he managed to uncurl it. He laid back on the grass for a few moments before he sat up and looked over to Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun was standing in the same spot looking down at his hands. Heechul knew that using his light magic took a toll on Kyuhyun, but other than the younger’s hands shaking he showed no signs of physical distress.
“Kyuhyun,” Heechul called out softly as he stood from the grass and brushed himself off, “are you okay?”
“I’m fine,” Kyuhyun mumbled quietly, but the younger’s tone did little to reassure the older prince. Heechul frowned and walked over to Kyuhyun before reaching out to take the younger’s hands.
“Your hands are shaking. Are you sure you’re alright?” he asked, squeezing Kyuhyun’s hands slightly in an attempt to still them. Kyuhyun nodded and looked at Heechul before giving him a small smile.

“I'm sure. I think I know now why I killed father's guards the other week but why I didn't hurt you just now. I have to focus on something else. Just now I focused on the river and the area around us. The other week I focused on father's guards so my magic focused on them too”

“That's good. At least if you know where to focus it gives you more of an idea on how to control it or avoid hurting yourself. Do you want to continue?” Heechul asked. He studied Kyuhyun’s face and lifted up the youngers sunglasses to see his face properly. Kyuhyun flinched when the sun hit his eyes, his pupils dilating instantly.

“Yah! Get off, you just blinded me you idiot. You know how sensitive my eyes are to the sun!” Kyuhyun whined, earning a chuckle from the older prince “I want to continue. I need practice and to get control of my light magic, this is the main way I can do that. I'm okay, honestly”

“Good” Heechul smirked before he took a few steps backwards and prepared to attack.

 

For the next few hours the two remained in the field. Heechul found new ways to test Kyuhyun’s magic and Kyuhyun found new ways to stop the older prince every time. To passers by it was obvious the two were not of the human realm, but for the farmers tending to their animals in the surrounding fields, they couldn't help but watch the interaction between the two princes. It was only when the sun began to set that Kyuhyun held up his hand and shook his head, signaling that he couldn't take anymore practice for the day. He fell to his knees and hung his head while he caught his breath.

“I'm done. My head… no more, brother” the young prince mumbed and Heechul nodded as he stepped closer and wrapped an arm around Kyuhyun to help him back to his feet.

“Lean on me. Come on, let's get you back to Leeteuk’s. You did good today, I'm proud of you, but now you need to rest”

“I couldn't have done it without you, so thank you”

“You're welcome” Heechul smiled when he felt Kyuhyun lean against him. He knew Kyuhyun was exhausted, the expression on the younger's face proved that clearly, but he couldn't help but smile at the progress the younger had made in just a few hours. When they finally arrived back at Leeteuk’s apartment the sun had completely set and the city was in darkness. They had passed multiple vampires and demons on their way back but none had dared to challenge either of them, much to Kyuhyun’s relief. Kyuhyun smiled as he reached for the door handle. He could already hear Leeteuk’s voice in the apartment but it didn’t sound like he was talking to anybody. Instead he was singing along to a song on the radio, filling the apartment with the sound of his voice.
“Aish, you’re terrible! I give you a two out of ten!” Heechul shouted suddenly with a tone of laughter in his voice. Leeteuk stopped singing when he heard the demon’s voice and he turned around with a cushion in his hand, about to throw it at Heechul, but he dropped it when his eyes landed on Kyuhyun. The young prince looked exhausted as he stood in the doorway leaning against his brother. His usually bright complexion was pale and his eyes were dark but despite all of that he still had a small smile on his face at the sight of the angel.
“Kim Heechul if you’ve pushed him too far with his magic I swear I will-” Leeteuk started as he walked over to Kyuhyun and pulled him into a hug. Heechul shook his head silently and pointed at Kyuhyun before he held up his hands.
“This was all him, I swear”
“It’s true, Teukie” Kyuhyun mumbled against Leeteuk’s collarbone before he turned his head to rest against the angels shoulder. “I made progress though”
“You shouldn’t push yourself so hard. You know you have to be careful. I can feel you shaking so who knows what’s going on inside of that head of yours” Leeteuk sighed as he tightened his hold on the younger, holding him close. Despite looking tired and his body shaking with exhaustion Kyuhyun was physically okay for the first time since he discovered his light magic. Heechul cleared his throat before reaching out to squeeze his brother's shoulder.
“Okay, i’m going to go. Kyuhyun needs to rest and I don’t need to be here to see you guys getting all… mushy,” He chuckled, “I’ll call you tomorrow to see how he’s doing. Make sure he gets enough sleep.”
“I can assure you that the only thing he’s going to be doing tonight is sleeping, Heechul. Don’t worry”
“Hey, don’t I get a say in this?” Kyuhyun whined, turning his head to look at Heechul and then back to Leeteuk before he nuzzled his nose against the older’s neck “What if I don’t wanna sleep, hm?”
“Oh you will sleep. I can tell you’re exhausted with the way you’re acting”
“What do you mean?”
“You’re being cute, even if you don’t see it. You're cuter than normal when you're tired,” Leeteuk chuckled.

“We'll see you tomorrow, Heechul. Thanks again”

“It's my pleasure. See you both later” Heechul smiled as he stepped backwards to the door, earning a small wave from Kyuhyun before he left the apartment.

 

After Heechul had, left Leeteuk walked with Kyuhyun towards the bedroom, keeping an arm securely around the younger's waist to keep him from falling over or walking into the wall. The bedroom was already prepared for when Kyuhyun returned home. The sheets were clean and tidy, the bedside lamp was to keep the light to a minimum, the blinds were closed and Kyuhyun's pajamas were laid out on the bed for him to change into  when he was ready.
"Thank you for this Teukie. You thought of everything" Kyuhyun smiled when he sat on the bed and Leeteuk knelt down in front of him. He raised an eyebrow at first but when he felt Leeteuk start to unfasten his shoes he smiled again. "I can undress myself, you don't have to do that"
"Let me, please. I want to." Leeteuk smiled, looking up to meet Kyuhyun's eyes before he pulled off Kyuhyun's shoes and socks and put them at the side of the room. Kyuhyun stood up and swayed slightly on his feet as he pulled off his clothes and with Leeteuk’s help he put on his pajama pants before sitting back on the bed.

“I don't think I've ever been this tired” He sighed but Leeteuk smiled, kissing the younger's head before sitting beside him.

“Well, we have no plans for tomorrow, so feel free to sleep as long as you like. I'll be right here until you wake up”

“Okay” Kyuhyun nodded, flashing Leeteuk a small smile before he shifted on the bed and got under the covers, ignoring the t-shirt beside himself. Leeteuk frowned when he caught sight of a large bruise on the prince's back, just below his shoulder, one of the only physical signs of their busy day of practice. He picked up Kyuhyun’s ignored t-shirt and folded it up before setting it down on the dresser.

“Teukie,” Kyuhyun called out softly as he watched Leeteuk move around the room. He pulled the blankets higher and snuggled against his pillow before patting the bed in front of himself “Sit with me for a little bit.”

“Of course, you don't even need to ask,” Leeteuk smiled, leaning down to kiss Kyuhyun’s lips softly before he sat down on the bed, holding the younger's hand.

“How're you feeling now that you're home?” He asked and Kyuhyun smiled.
“Home.. I like the idea of us having a home together” Kyuhyun hummed as he played with the bracelet hanging loosely off Leeteuk’s wrist “I feel okay, just tired”
“Get some sleep, handsome. We can talk in the morning,” Leeteuk smiled. His smile mirrored on Kyuhyun’s face as the prince finally closed his eyes. He snuggled the pillow beneath his head whilst keeping a tight hold on the angel’s hand.
“I’m going to marry you someday… Someday soon” Kyuhyun mumbled quietly but his voice was loud enough for Leeteuk to hear.

The idea of being married to Kyuhyun was a thought that made Leeteuk’s heart skip a beat and his stomach flutter. He had thought about it on a couple of occasions but hearing the words spoken directly from Kyuhyun’s mouth made the idea seem real. He looked down at the now sleeping prince, his prince, and brushed his fingers through the younger’s hair.

“I love you, Kyuhyun. Until the moment the last breath leaves my body. And even in death I will still love you. Sweet dreams.”

 

When Kyuhyun awoke the next morning the sun had just began to rise over the city, shining a soft orange light through the top and bottom of the curtains. He sat up and looked around the room as his eyes tried to focus, but it was the quiet sound of Leeteuk’s breathing that caught his attention first. Kyuhyun looked down at Leeteuk’s sleeping face and reached out to brush his hair back before running the back of his fingers over the angel’s cheek. Leeteuk groaned softly at the touch, his lips curling up into a smile.
“My perfect angel” Kyuhyun whispered almost silently to himself before pushing back the covers and climbing out of bed. He stretched as he stood up, his face contorting uncomfortably when a spasm of pain shot down his spine. He hadn’t expected to have been aching so much from just a couple of hours of practicing his magic, even if Heechul’s methods were somewhat painful at the time. He walked through to pour himself a glass of water, drinking it down in one go before he made his way back to bed. It was still early and Kyuhyun had no intentions of staying out of bed for any longer than he needed to, at least for another several hours. He climbed back into bed and snuggled close to Leeteuk, smiling when he felt Leeteuk shift beside him and the angel’s arm wrap around him, pulling him closer. Kyuhyun pulled the blankets up around himself before resting his head on Leeteuk’s shoulder and tracing his finger gently over his collarbone. Moments like that made Kyuhyun feel like the luckiest man alive. When he felt Leeteuk press a kiss to his temple Kyuhyun smiled.
“I love you, Leeteuk. I’ll see you in a few hours” He whispered softly and closed his eyes as he, once again, let sleep pull him in.