10: Heartstrings Plucked!

By Your Side: Adventures in I-LAND
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was two days before the test. The Voice of I-LAND called up everyone. Including me and my girl groups.

Once we all met up, everything was silent. No one spoke a single word. I was actually pretty curious about the remaining two days. Is someone coming to help us? Well...I was half right. Someone did come. But I was not sure if he was going to help us.

The entrance to I-LAND moved. The mystery person was none other than RAIN, or his real name, Jung Jihoon.

All of the girls squealed and giggled because of his presence. And I was just standing there, trying to calm them down, since the boys were looking down upon us for screaming over a thirty (something)- year-old man.

"I am RAIN Jung Jihoon," he said, "And I am in charge of all of the tests. I may seem like a producer on the outside, but on the inside, I want to mentally and emotionally support you. Ladies, it is a pleasure meeting you."

"He called us 'ladies'!" Hinata squealed.

"I know!" said Livia.

"Now...are the preparations for the first test going well?" RAIN asked gently with a warm smile, "I am curious to know where your skills are at."

This became a slight problem. Us girls didn't have singing parts. Only dancing. And we haven't even started yet!

"Uh," Holly stammered, "He does know that we haven't actually started our dance routine yet, right?"

"Nope on a rope." I replied.

"With that said, I would like to see your group choreography and the girls can go after. And remember that making a mistake is okay. Similarly in sports, it's always best to make mistakes in front of coaches and dance teachers, so that you can fix the problems more easily than just hiding it during the real deal. And actually, ladies, forget I put you in last, you may go first."

The song we selected was DDU-DDU-DDU-DDU by BlackPink. We went to our formations. As we began to dance, our moves were simple. But they all looked at us as if they were in a real K-Pop concert. That freaked me out only.

When Maeve, Holly, Isabelle and I were dancing the rap, as Maeve lip-synched the rap, they were all speechless that we had the talent to do something like this. It was incredible.

Once we struck a pose in the last bit of the selected song, everyone basically was silent. We then formed a line and bowed to RAIN.

"Wow," said RAIN, completely speechless, "You girls just did that...without fail at all. Impressive. I- I should reward you."

Now it was the boys' turn. Their dance was by far the greatest. It was as if they looked up to us for support. It was the singing that just wasn't really easy for them. And poor Niki had forgotten some of the lyrics for his part.

RAIN then had the boys sing the parts they were having trouble with. Even if he was a nice guy, we all thought of him as just a producer. When we took a break, most of the guys saw us being on our phones. And they were all a little bit concerned, since most of us were in school/college and thought of it as the time to be studying.

"What's there to study?" asked Holly, rolling her eyes, "We all did online school."

"I think he means about college and such." said Erika.

"But we're basically doing everything online because of...you know...reasons?" said Lara, indicating that we are not following the education standards that Korea had set for its people.

Once RAIN was finished with the boys, he said, "I am glad that I have been assigned to help you all with this very first test and I am hoping to see you all when that test comes."

 

.

.

.

 

We were in our dorms at the moment. We were making an appearance for three other tests after this one. In total, I-LAND had four tests.

 

1: The Signal

2: Concept

3: Bulletproof

4: Final Lineup

 

The funny thing is, no one knew what the 'Bulletproof' test was. We all thought of BTS for some reason. But sadly...it was not to be. We figured they wouldn't make time for us, since they had not dropped any new music for us ARMYs.

"So..." I said, "Tomorrow is the last day to practise. Are any of us ready?"

"Depends," said Leila, "I just hope the guys won't swoon over us and our supposed 'y' dance moves. Come on! We are basically TWICE and SATURDAY, not BLACKPINK or AOA."

"I think it's the fact that we have very smooth moves, even though they are simple." said Holly.

While the girls argued about what groups we relate to, I then went to visit Jake in his dorm room. His door was halfway open wide and saw him flipping his hair and putting on a black hat. He must have been getting ready to go downstairs to practise. He was even wearing black slacks too. But I didn't think about it much. I knocked and he answered.

"Y/N?" he said, slightly embarrassed, "So...what brings you here?"

"I was just visiting you," I said, "Wondering how you were doing so far. That's all."

"I'm fine, thank you." Jake stuttered.

I noticed how his cheeks were turning red, as if he was embarrassed that I was coming to see him.

Does he have a crush on me?

I saw a black instrument case on his bed. The silver metal flaps looked open, but not the case itself. But I didn't want to make him more embarrassed, so I didn't say much anymore.

"Well..." I said, softly, "I guess I'll see you later, then. I have to work with my girl group. And then, tomorrow, my sub-unit is coming over and we will have a big rehearsal, so the practise room will be full for more people."

"I understand," said Jake, still stuttering, "I'll see you tonight for dinner."

"Bye...!" I said, walking out of the hallway from his dorm room.

I couldn't help but think about his face. It reminded me so much of Layla, his puppy. Then I thought he was very cute. And it was true. As a matter of fact, as we were going downstairs to the practise room, a lot of the contestants were saying that Jake was the most handsome contestant in the show! Some said he was cuter than Jin from BTS.

But I thought Jin was "Worldwide Handsome", I thought, There is just no way that Jake could take that title. I had never seen anyone stealing that crown.

I ignored these claims and went on to practise.

 

.

.

.

 

Meanwhile, Jake was with his English speaking friend Jay. and even though Jay was a very cold man for his age, he and Jake still got along well.

"Y/N is very cool in my opinion," Jake said, "I believe she will

Please log in to read the full chapter