Chapter Seven

The Lowdown

 

“Wake up, wake up. We’re going somewhere..” Onew’s voice yanked Taemin out of his dream. He blinked dazedly. Since when did Onew wake up so early? Taemin was not in the mood. He was so tired he could barely lift his head. He grabbed his blanket and pulled it over himself.

“Don’t make me tickle you~” sang Onew merrily.

Taemin tensed up. He. Was. Not. In.The.  Mood.  Taemin imagined rising up and using his fingers to literally tear Onew’s face off, he was so angry. Maybe if he ignored him he would go away.

To his irrational outrage, he felt Onew’s hands scrabble at his sides.

“Get your ing hands off me or I’ll break them, I swear.”

“My God, someone’s grouchy,” Jonghyun’s voice broke in.

Wait, was Jonghyun here too? Taemin could feel his resentment rising. What, were they having a party in his room? Could they all just leave?

“Could you all off?” Taemin growled menacingly. He didn’t know why he was so angry. He had been over the moon the last few days, swooning around in his lovesick state, mentally squealing with glee whenever he caught Key looking at him. He had a smile that the other members hadn’t seen in a while, and they all pretended not to see when Taemin would snuggle into Key. Minho and Jonghyun had looked mildly offended when Key gave Taemin special treatment, and that expression had now become permanent.

“Even me?”

Oh my God, even Key was there. Today wasn’t a good day for Taemin.

“Yep. All of you. Get out and leave me alone.”

“Tough luck kid,” Jonghyun said. Taemin felt Jonghyun try tug away the blanket and snapped.

“I told you to off!” he shouted, kicking his long, skinny legs that were twisted in the sheets, only stopping when he made contact with something soft.

“OW!” yelled Jonghyun. “He kicked me right in the stomach! You little !” he screamed.

Taemin couldn’t even be bothered coming up with a response.

‘Yah, aren’t you going to say sorry?” asked Key.

“I’m not sorry. I’ll do it again if he touches me again.”

Taemin could honestly not give a damn about what happened. He was fuming. He wanted to be alone. He wanted to just lie there for the rest of his life, underneath the covers.

“It’s nearly 10, hyungs,” piped up Minho.

“Enough playing around, we really need to get there. Key.”

Key sighed. “You won’t kick me, will you Taemin?” he whispered to where he thought Taemin’s head would be underneath the blanket.

Taemin remained silent. He really didn’t want to hit Key but at the same time he had enough fury to punch someone’s lights out. And none of them were taking him seriously.

“Okay, up we go,” announced Key unexpectantly, lifting Taemin blankets and all.

Taemin was shocked at the sudden movement and clutched at the blanket tighter, making sure the blanket was still securely over his head. He was startled at the prick of fear that he felt.

“I’ll take off his blanket-“ Minho started.

“No no no no don’t! You can’t!” yelled Taemin.

There was a silence as the members digested this.

“Why not?” asked Onew gently.

“You just can’t, you can’t! Or something bad might happen, you can’t!” Taemin shouted, his hands into the material.

He had been so angry before but now fear coursed through him. He didn’t want to see his hyungs, he didn’t know what to do.

Key could feel Taemin trembling underneath the blanket. “He’s shaking,” he mouthed silently at the wide-eyed members.

Jonghyun shook his head. “Let’s go.”

 

Key sat in the car seat, softly bouncing Taemin on his lap and making reassuring noises. He still had the blanket over his head and refused to loosen his grip.

“We’re here,” said the driver indifferently.

Taemin had been silent the whole trip until now.

“You aren’t going to make me get out, will you?” he whispered at Key.

“It’s fine,” responded Key.

Taemin felt himself being carried by Key out of the car. He nestled into Key, burying his nose into his soothing citrus scent and feeling confused. He didn’t know where he was and what was happening. He could hear Onew and Jonghyun greeting someone.

“Is this Lee Taemin?” asked a female voice.

“Yeah,” answered Minho.

“Please take a seat. Can Taemin fill this out while you all wait?”

Taemin was confused. Nobody sounded shocked that 4 idols had walked in carrying a boy underneath a blanket. He peeked out from within the folds and saw an expensive waiting room, with wooden furniture and soft lighting. Soothing music played in the background and they were the only ones sitting in the plush chairs.

“Here here, fill this out Taeminnie-gunnie,” Jonghyun urged, handing him a pen and a sheet of paper, past events forgotten.

Curious, he looked down at the form and he couldn’t stop his jaw from dropping in sync with his heart and stomach.

His eyes quickly skimmed down the page and he broke out in a cold sweat as questions leapt out at him as he skimmed down the paper.

 

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being never and 10 being always, how often do you feel sad for no reason?

 

On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being extremely poor and 10 being excellent, how would you describe your appetite?

 

On a scale of 1 -10, with 1 being never and 10 being always, how often do you get a good night’s sleep?

 

On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being never and 10 being always, how close have you felt to suicidal?

 

And those were just the questions that he felt were aimed at him. He grabbed the piece of paper quickly, tearing it in half viciously and crumbling it up in his fists. He jumped out of Key’s lap and faced his hyungs, his security blanket lying forgotten on the floor.

“ Where the am I?” he questioned darkly.

“We’re at a good psychiatrist’s office,” Onew answered hesitantly.

‘Why?” Taemin shot back evenly.

“Key told us you were having problems,” started Minho.

“Taemin-ah, you know you have problems. And you need help. And I don’t think I have enough power or the right knowledge to save you,” Key reasoned softly.

“You promised you wouldn’t tell anyone!” screeched Taemin with a note of hysteria. “And you go and tell everyone! You promised me! I thought you were on my side!”

“I am Taemin, we all are.”

“Don’t look at me like that,” spat Taemin. “Stop feeling sorry for me. I’m fine. Key-hyung was lying.  Let’s go home.”

“Don’t try denying it Taemin. We’ve been living with you for years. You don’t think we didn’t notice you were changed? Sit down,” admonished Onew.

Taemin sat without thinking.

 

Several minutes had gone by, and Taemin became even more skittered and wound up.

“Onew-hyung,” he whimpered looking at the leader, the one who held the peace. “Hyung, please don’t make me do this. Please can we go home? This is really unnecessary. I’m fine, please,” he pleaded.

“I’m sorry Taemin,” Onew stated sadly. “But you need this.”

“I think I’m just coming down with the flu or something, that’s all. It’s nothing!” protested Taemin. He turned to the other side of him.

“Key-hyung, please can we go home?” asked taemin, his voice hitching. “Please, I’ll do anything you want me to, I promise I’ll get better.”

“Taemin,” He sighed, leaning forward and softly and pressing his lips against Taemin’s when he saw the other boys weren’t watching. “You’re freaking yourself out,” he soothed, wrapping his arms around the skinny teen.

“Lee Taemin, the doctor is ready to see you now.”

Taemin froze in Key’s arms, grabbing Key’s shirt. “Please don’t make me do this,” he begged hoarsely.

“I’m sorry Taemin,” Key said soothingly. “But it will be fine.”

Key was shocked when he was forcefully shoved back by Taemin.

‘I hate you Key,” asked Taemin venomously, his eyes glinting with unshed tears. “Don’t touch me again, traitor.”

 

Two hours later Taemin emerged from the room, quiet and red eyed. He didn’t look at anyone in the eye and followed the rest of SHINee obediently, bowing lowly to the receptionist.

In the can, he sat at the back and stared out the window the whole time. Key’s neck got sore from constantly twisting around to see what Taemin was doing. He knew Taemin hadn’t meant those words but they still hurt.  He hoped Taemin would talk to him.

 But Taemin wouldn’t open his mouth and kept his eyes glued to the window, his expression closed. They picked up the antidepressants the psychiatrist had prescribed, and when Jonghyun handed them to Taemin, Taemin accepted them with his head lowered, as if he was ashamed.

“It’s alright Taemin,” Minho said, slinging his arm around Taemin’s shoulders. “Things have to get better.”

 

 

A/N Sorry it's been so long since an update! I have chapters handwritten but i cbf'ed typing them up until now -_- If it helps, this chapter has enough words for an essay haha! I will update faster next time, it's nearly holidays! ;) Please comment and tell me what you think or what you want to happen! :)