Chapter Eighteen

The Lowdown

 

“I told Minho I was gay,” Key said to Taemin.

“What?” Taemin gasped. “Why?”

“I don’t know, it sort of was the spirit of the moment,” Key said. “I don’t think he can keep this secret for very long though. He’s nice, but I can imagine him just saying it accidently.”

“Speaking about that… Onew hyung has been weird lately.”

“What do you mean?”

“One night he kept trying to ask me about girls, and what was my type and for advice. I don’t know how to tell him that I don’t like girls…”

Key looked meaningfully at Taemin. Taemin sighed.

“Do you…want to tell them?”

“I think it’s only going to get harder as time flies.”

“But…I haven’t even told my own family yet.” Taemin said softly. “I don’t even think I want them to know.”

“I don’t want mine to know either,” Key agreed. “But they aren’t our family. I think they can take it. They’ve known us for such a long time, and they are going to have to know soon. And imagine,”

Key purred as he pulled Taemin closer. “We can stop hiding and actually be a couple when we’re at home.”

Taemin looked suggestively into Key’s eyes, a mischevious smile dancing on his lips.

“Oh yeah,” he said knowingly, grinding his hips against Key’s.

Key gripped Taemin’s hips still, reeling from the sensation. “Okay, someone’s keen,” he laughed.

“How do you want to do this?” asked Taemin. “Can we tell them together?”

“I think we should. When do you want to do this?”

“This afternoon. We can call them into the living room and just tell them we have something important to say.”

Key choked. “Today? But that’s… too soon!”

“No it’s not,” Taemin said earnestly. “I don’t want to hide this from them for ages. And you’re right. I don’t want to keep sneaking around.”

Key sighed. That sounded logical. And Minho was on his side. But how would he react when he found out that his boyfriend was Taemin? And he wasn’t even sure about how Onew and Jonghyun would handle it. Jonghyun was girl crazy. Onew wanted to be girl crazy. He didn’t know what they would say. They would never look at Key and Taemin again in the same way. It would be a miracle if they even wanted to remain friends.

“What if…they don’t accept it?” Key asked Taemin.

“I don’t want to think about it,” answered Taemin. “I think we should just tell them. We’ll just go with the flow.”

Key nodded, his stomach fluttering in nervousness.

 

Key cornered Minho in the kitchen.

“This afternoon I’m going to tell the rest of the guys that I’m gay,” Key stated.

“Good on you! Well done!” Minho said seriously. “I’ll back you up no matter what.”

“Thanks Minho,” Key said, Minho’s seriousness making him want to nervously break out into a self-conscious laugh. “I’m also going to tell you guys who my boyfriend is,” Key said. “Please don’t get angry.”

“Why would I get angry?” Minho said, puzzled. “I can’t wait. Don’t worry Key, I’ll make sure that none of the guys say anything stupid and listen.  I’ve got your back!”

Minho thumped Key on the back enthusiastically while Key gave a weak smile of thanks. He knew this was going to change everything.

 

Key fidgeted, nervously fixing the sofa cushions and straightening the coffee table.

“Taemin-ah, don’t expect them to take this well,” he whispered.

“Why wouldn’t they, hyung?” Taemin asked. “If I was them, I would.”

Key looked into Taemin’s wide brown eyes, seeing his reflection in his pupils. Taemin was essentially still a child who had lived a grown up’s life.  He’s still so innocent, Key thought with remorse. But he’s been through so much. Am I just putting him through more? Key felt his nurturing, mother-like nature rise up in him again.  He couldn’t resist those eyes that were begging for comfort. A surge of tenderness swept through Key.

“My poor baby,” he said, enveloping Taemin in a hug. “My poor, poor baby.”

“I’m 20,” Taemin said, his voice muffled by Key’s shirt.

“My poor baby. I wish you could never be sad,” Key whispered.

Taemin was silent. “It’s a bit too late for that.”

“So why did you want to see us?” Jonghyun said loudly as he walked into the room with Onew and Minho.

“Sit down, sit down,” Key flustered, not sure what to do with his hands. “Me and Taemin have to tell you something important. Please listen.”

Jonghyun sat sandwiched between Onew and Minho on the couch. Minho nodded seriously at Key. Key wanted to bury his head in his hands.

“We have something important to tell you,” Key repeated, rubbing his hands on his jeans nervously.

“You said that already,” Jonghyun pointed out.

“Be quiet!” boomed Minho. “I’ve got your back Key.”

Key had to avoid looking at Minho or else he would have burst out in nervous laughter at Minho’s exaggerated serious face. He wished Minho would stop saying he had his back. He took a deep breath.

“Well, um… well, I’m gay,” Key blurted out.

 

“Oh. I already knew that,” Jonghyun deadpanned. Onew nodded as well.

“How?!” Key spluttered. “I only told Minho!!”

Jonghyun gave Key a look. “How stupid do you think I am? Seriously, Key please! You’re insulting me! You think I’ve known you for this long and I didn’t suspect?”

“What about you Onew?” Key screeched. “How did you know?”

“Just a feeling,” Onew shrugged.

“What? How come I didn’t notice anything?” Minho asked, annoyed.

“Maybe because you always either sleeping, eating, or at the gym,” Jonghyun chimed exasperatedly. “Was that all? Key, why were you so nervous? This is hardly shocking news.”

Key felt a bit annoyed that his coming out had been an anti-. Sure there wasn’t any drama and he was glad there wasn’t, but the diva in Key had envisioned an impassioned plea from his behalf which would move them all to tears and have them all proclaiming their undying support for one another. But this would have to do.

“Well, I have a boyfriend. And it’s pretty serious. And I thought.. maybe it’s time for you to meet him.”

Jonghyun perked up. Minho leaned in excitedly while Onew looked up at them in quiet anticipation.

Key felt his heart hammering. This bit was the hardest. This bit, he hoped the boys would take as smoothly. He sincerely hoped that no drama would crop up here.

Key cleared his throat.

Taemin, seeing Key choking and having watched the rest of SHINee receive Key’s confession so well, felt a bloom of confidence. Well, the pills couldn’t make him feel otherwise.

“Nice to meet you,” Taemin said, grabbing Key’s hand and beaming. “I’m Key’s boyfriend.”

The room became deathly silent.

“Are you joking?” Jonghyun asked quietly.

“No,” Taemin answered without conviction. “We’re together. We have been for a while now. I like him a lot. I think I’m in love with him.”

Key squeezed Taemin’s hand. He could see the expressions on Jonghyun and Minho’s faces. Shock and disapproval were easily seen in their open mouths and furrowed brows.

“Is this…true, Key?” Minho said.

“Yeah,” Key replied. “He’s the one that I love. My cutiepie.”

Taemin smiled at Key.

“Oh,” muttered Minho. “Oh my God. That’s why you called him cutie pie before. Oh my God. I can’t believe this. And you two share a room. Oh my God. Taemin-ah, does this mean you’re gay…?”

Taemin shrugged. “I’m pretty sure I am. I’ve never really looked at girls. Only guys.”

“Are you sure this isn’t a phase?” Jonghyun interrupted.

“What?” Taemin said.

“Maybe because of your…depression and because Key looks after you, maybe you have your feelings mixed up. I don’t think you’re gay Taemin, you can’t be. I don’t believe it.”

Taemin felt angry. They were looking at him with such disappointment… and was that slight disgust? How dare they judge him!

“Why are you acting like this? You were fine about Key hyung!” Taemin said, his volume rising.

“You’re the straightest one out of all of us!” Jonghyun said. “I don’t think this is you. I believe Key because I know Key. I know you, and you aren’t gay.”

“Actually you don’t know me well at all, or else you would have known I had depression before I pretty much threw my career away!”

“Taemin, this is different! That was like a sickness. This is actually who you are. And you aren’t gay! You like girls! You’re confused!”

“Don’t shout at him!” Key said as he saw Taemin cowering at Jonghyun’s words. “He’s mine!”

“Key!” Jonghyun turned his focus on him. “How could you use him like this! Taemin is just a child! He doesn’t know much! How could you be so selfish?!”

“I’m 20!” Taemin shouted back. “I know what I’m doing. And Key isn’t using me! If anything, I’m using Key!”

“Oh my God, can you hear the words coming out of his mouth Key!” Jonghyun cried. “I thought you had morals!”

“Don’t you dare say that I don’t have morals. Don’t you dare think that my relationship with him is out of selfishness! Don’t you dare degrade my relationship with him!” Key yelled, his anger rising, stepping forward. “Don’t insult Taemin by even thinking that he would be with me because he couldn’t tell if I was using him or not!”

Jonghyun stood up too, meeting Key’s gaze. “You only show your best side to Taemin. I know what you’re really like,” he sneered.

Key was so furious he couldn’t even see straight.

“Calm down,” Onew said from the couch.

“I won’t calm down until this guy calms down,” Key said, staring straight into Jonghyun’s eyes as menacingly as he could.

“Oh, what are you going to do, Key? Punch me? Kick me? Resort to violence? You’re such a good person for Taemin,” Jonghyun jeered.

“Key would never do that,” said Taemin fiercely, grabbing Key’s arm. “He would never hurt anyone.”

“So you didn’t tell him?” Jonghyun said. “Taemin. Didn’t you ever wonder why Key was suspended along with you while the rest of us were working? He wasn’t given the weeks off to play nurse.”

Taemin froze. He had wondered, but with all that was going on in his mind he had forgotten to ask about it and it had slipped out of his memory.

“He punched one of the crew members when you fainted. The crew member had tried to pick you up while Key was all over you. Key broke his jaw and had to pay him for the hospital fees and enough to stop him from telling everyone. I know Key was only protecting you. But I also know he has anger problems. So don’t say he won’t hurt anyone. Because he will if you’re involved.”

Taemin stood there gaping at Key, who hung his head low.

“And although he might not hurt you, he’s already tried to fight Minho and look how well you turned out. And he will probably break your heart. You’re too young. I’m going for a walk.”

Jonghyun stomped out of the room and slammed the front door.

Minho also left the room quietly, mumbling he needed to think.

“If it’s any consolation,” Onew piped up. “I think you two are adorable and make a beautiful couple. I’ve been watching you and talking to you two and I think you love each other very much. Don’t let them stop you from being happy. Your own happiness always comes first.”

Onew rubbed Taemin’s arm.

“No pain, no gain, right? This is just an obstacle.” Onew said. “They just need time to get over themselves.”

Just then, the telephone rang.

“I’ll get it,” Onew said, walking away.

Taemin looked at Key, who still had his head down.

“I’m sorry Taemin. It’s all my fault. I really hope this doesn’t come in between our relationship.” Key quietly said.

Taemin sighed. “I wish you’d told me. But…I don’t think you’re dangerous hyung. I don’t think you would hurt anyone. That was an accident, right?”

“Yes,” Key said contritely. “I was so scared about you. And you know how when I get scared I like to hit things.”

“But I do think you have anger problems, hyung.”

“I’m trying to control it. I’ve been reading self help books and watching videos. It’s been working….See, I didn’t even try to fight Jonghyun.”

“And… you would never hurt…me, right?” Taemin asked hesitantly.

Key wanted to cry. “I would never hurt you Taemin! I would rather hurt myself first. I promise you I will never hurt you, I will never leave you. As long as you want me, I’ll be there for you. I love you.”

Taemin started blinking furiously.

“Please don’t cry, sweetie,” Key pleaded. “Please don’t cry!”

“I’m just a bit shocked, that’s all,” Taemin said, his voice cracking. “I thought they would accept me.  I thought they loved me and cared about me enough to see me happy.”

As Key reached out to hold him, Taemin waited for the seed of self doubt and misery to bloom in his head. Weirdly, the overwhelming sorrow never came. This was the first time Taemin was glad he had taken his pills.

 

“Sorry to interrupt,” Onew said, breaking into their thoughts. “But I just got a call from Manager-hyung that Lee Sooman wants to meet us tomorrow.”

 

This was 5 pages long on Word. I don't even....? 

Third to last chapter! But the story won't be completely finished just yet :) because really, no story should ever end, because the character's lives never end. When I read my other beginning chapters I'm like CRINGE. This is horrible.  You sound so juvenile.

But tell me what you think of this chapter! I reply to all comments, as y'all know already :)

 

Esther :)