ten.

love is like magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Finally, the political trip to the Hinode Kingdom was over. 

The Nichibotsu folks began to pack their belongings to head back. Other than the assassination attempt, the trip was quite successful.

Nina did not have many belongings with her, so instead she helped the royal maids pack Ayaka's belongings. 

As soon as everything was packed and put onto carriages, it was time to head off on their trip back to the Nichibotsu capital. 

Nina and Princess Ayaka rode together once more, sitting with each other as Nina napped just as she did on the way there. She did not get any sleep, so Ayaka told her she could take some time to rest, feeling bad that Nina was up all night protecting her. 

After about two hours of sleeping, Nina woke up. As soon as Nina woke up, Ayaka spoke up. She had questions she needed answers to. 

"So..." she began, scooting even closer to Nina. "Are you planning on going back to the army once you get back? Or would you be happy to move into the palace with me?" She asked curiously. "I wouldn't mind having you as a permanent bodyguard."

"I'm rejoining the army," Nina answered without a second of hesitation. She had no idea why Ayaka would've expected anything else. The army was her dream... something she has been working towards for years. She wasn't going to quit, even if it meant living in luxury as a bodyguard for the princess. 

Ayaka was clearly very disappointed at this response. She frowned, slowly taking Nina's hand. 

"But... Nina," Ayaka's voice softed as she gently squeezed Nina's hand. "I need you to protect me. Who else would protect me like you do? I can't trust anyone else to keep me safe anymore..."

"There are so many royal guards that dedicate their lives to protecting you," Nina responded, growing a bit frustrated with Ayaka, removing her hand from hers. "Or the queen could hire someone else. Either way, I'm not going to give up the career I worked so hard for."

"You'd live in luxury, instead of living in a muddy old tent and sleeping in a sleeping bag," Ayaka mentioned, trying to use other tactics to convince Nina. "And you'd make even more money than you would as a soldier."

Even that did not seem to convince Nina, who crossed her arms. "No. I would not give up being a soldier, even if you forced me to," she responded. "You have no idea how much it means to me. It was my dream ever since I was a litt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter