nine.

love is like magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

By the time night arrived, their bedroom was cleaned out and free to use again. 

However, once the two of them settled for bed, Ayaka only became terribly frightened once again. When she laid back in that soft, queen-sized bed, everything started to come back to her. She kept seeing that masked intruder standing by her bed again in the corner of her eye, even though she wasn't there anymore. She began to cry and her body began to shake. It did not take long for Nina to notice. 

"Hey, Ayaka," Nina whispered softly, turning over onto her side to face Ayaka. "Are you okay?" She asked with concern.

"I-I'm so scared..." Ayaka choked out in between sobs. She felt like she was being watched by someone who was waiting for the right opportunity to try to kill her... when she's fast asleep. 

"I know... but you don't have to be scared," Nina assured her as she scooted closer, wrapping one arm around Ayaka. "I'm right beside you and I'll keep you safe. I promise."

"I know... b-but it's hard..." Ayaka stuttered out, turning to rest her head against Nina's shoulder, crying into her shirt. 

"I know it is. But I assure you, as long as I'm right by your side, nothing will happen to you. I swear," Nina continued to give reassuring words, but Ayaka still seemed freaked out. She kept glancing over to the window, where the glass had already been replaced. It was like she was expecting the intruder to come back to life and return for round two. 

"There's no one there," Nina told Ayaka, noticing that she kept glancing over to the window. "And, e-even if there was... you'd be okay. I have my sword right next to me and I won't let anybody hurt you."

Ayaka continued to cry, practically melting into Nina's touch as she wrapped another arm around her as well. Nina gently stoked Ayaka's back, humming softly to try to help Ayaka relax. It seemed to help a little as Ayaka's rapid breathing seemed to slow down to try to match Nina's own. 

"P-Please do not ever leave my side..." Ayaka whispered quietly. "I feel safest around you..."

"I-I'll do my best, Ayaka," Nina responded, though she wasn't so sure about it. She would have to leave her side to go back to the army, which was her passion.

Nina realized that she wouldn't protect Ayaka only because it was her job at the moment, but also because she loved her. They only just met for the first time a few days ago, and yet they've already bonde

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter