Chapter Five

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

Nayeon is busy aggregating the gallery's archives and other logs, as she always is. She is currently working in her office, without wasting a single second of her time. Her life revolves around her career, which makes her admirable in nearly every way. Nayeon is an ideal partner, it is true. The only issue is her lack of desire to find someone with whom she could spend the rest of her life. It appears to me that she has no intention of settling down anytime soon.

In any case, finding love isn't something to rush. It arrives at precisely the right time.

Nayeon abruptly had a thought after putting the folder down. And because this was such a crucial matter for her, she hurriedly stood up and left her office to see another.

Staff and employees would bow their heads and say hello as she walked down the hall. Nayeon, unlike Dahyun, would not return them. One of the significant differences between these half-sisters would be this. One is an iceberg, while the other is a people-person.

"Hmm, my favorite amiga," remarked a taller young woman of Nayeon's age. She had to take her gaze away from the computer in order to focus entirely on the company's director and founder.

"Good to see you today, Ms. Yoo," Nayeon said, sitting down straight away on the couch. Of course, the other woman rose to do the same. She should pay great attention because it appears that this will be an important discussion.

"There's just the two of us here; you don't have to be so formal."

"Jeongyeon," Nayeon amended herself, prompting a smile from the woman across from her. "Is that better?" she inquired.

"Better, Nayeon," responded Jeongyeon. "What brought you here?"

"I have a question for you."

"Go ahead and ask."

Nayeon sat more comfortably by ing her blazer. She began to talk after a period of silence during which she composed the notion in her mind. "We had a conversation with the other multinational artist last week..."

Jeongyeon inquired, "Ms. Chou?"

"Yes, Ms. Chou," Nayeon said, and Jeongyeon only bobbed her head in agreement. "Didn't she say something about forming a coalition partnership with us?" she inquired. "I also handed her Jihyo's email address and phone number so that they could talk more about it."

Jeongyeon crossed her legs and leaned back on the couch's backrest, saying, "Yes, I vaguely remember that." "What's the matter?"

Nayeon asked, "Has Jihyo spoken anything about a follow-up on the partnership?" "I can't ask her since she won't be here today," she explained.

"Mhmm, she's on leave," confirmed the other. "But I'll talk to her about it, and I'll send her a message, and I'll relay it to you right away once she responds," she assured Nayeon, who appeared concerned.

Chou Tzuyu, for further information, is a well-known artist in a number of other countries. Her collaboration with Lim's Museum of Arts and Sculptures would be advantageous. Nayeon is looking forward to this because the awards night is six months away, and she wants to continue her winning record in this field.

"Thank you very much, Yoo Jeongyeon."

 

In Kim Law & Criminal Defense, the meeting had just ended. Dahyun stayed seated as the others exited the conference room, as her father had instructed. Dae-won sat down in his swivel chair, swinging slightly from side to side as he glanced at Dahyun after everyone had left. For some reason, the woman diverted her sight.

While tapping her fingernails on the table's surface, she asked her father, "What did you want to talk to me about?"

"Your actions."

"What about my actions this time?" Dahyun asked, raising both eyebrows and finally returning Dae-won's stare. "Dad, no one else is offended by how I act except you; what's the big deal? Why do we have to talk about it every time?" she wondered.

"I'm talking about your work habits," Dae-won explained quietly. "You always come in late and not dressed properly, and I'm about ready to give up on you just on that one," he stated. "At the very least, Dahyun, be more responsible; you are no longer a child."

"I'm in control of other things besides getting up early."

"What other things are you working on exactly?"

"Other... things," Dahyun replied softly.

"How many years have you been working for this company?"

"Four."

"And how many cases have you handled in those four years?" Dae-won inquired, and as expected, no response was received. "Thirty? Far less?" he asked, crossing his arms above his chest. "Some lawyers handle more than thirty cases a year, and that's all you had in four years." "Is that supposed to demonstrate your roles and responsibilities?"

"What sense is that supposed to make, dad?" Dahyun sighed, shaking her head. "Yes, I may have handled only a few, but I won all of them," she explained. "Of all the law practitioners here, including yourself, I am the only one with a hundred percent win rate, so, yes, I am capable of being trusted."

"That's because you're playing it safe."

Dahyun could not help but fake a laugh. She despises hearing these things, especially since she knows how hard she worked to win all of the cases she dealt with.

"You don't accept cases where you believe you will lose."

"You're mistaken," Dahyun replied. "I don't accept cases that don't deserve to be challenged in the courts; it's not being picky if that's what you're implying." Her facial expression indicates that she is offended, and she was not attempting to conceal this fact. "I only want justice for the truth, and while you think I'm playing it safe; you should know that you're playing dirty. Some wealthy people come in here with true criminal acts that they want to cover up, and you help them get away with it."

"Work is work."

"I don't want to do this job in the way you do it; that's it," Dahyun replied. She stood up because she didn't want this conversation to drag on any longer. "I'll leave, Mr. Chairman," she said.

"Your mother's birthday is tomorrow," Dae-won managed to say before his daughter could turn away. "The dinner party will be tonight because her group of friends wishes to take her out tomorrow evening."

"I'll be home tonight," Dahyun replied simply.

"Give your sister a call about the dinner as well."

"Why don't you do it?"

"Do it, Dahyun," Dae-won said firmly, only to evoke a sigh from the other.

"I will."

 

Sana had just gotten out of the van she had borrowed from her uncle again. Today is a big day for her because she is finally acquiring a job. Although there would only be an interview today, Dahyun was the one who recommended her and assured her that she would get in regardless. Sana put her trust in it, therefore she appears calmer than other individuals when preparing for a job interview.

When she arrived in the queue, she found that it was vacant. Her brow had wrinkled due to an empty waiting line. She was not advised that she would be the only applicant for this position if that is the case. She reasoned that Dahyun informed her she would be hired without a doubt because she was the only one who applied.

"Wow, did she close the hiring for me? So, I'll definitely get it?" Sana thought to herself as she sat back comfortably with her hands above her knees. Sana, who was a little excited about the whole affair, would occasionally glance at her wristwatch, waiting for the moment when someone would approach her and ask her to step inside. She imagined it to be simple, just like in the movies.

"Good morning, Ms. Son," Sana heard everyone say at about the same time, so she turned her gaze in that direction. The corporate director seemed to have just arrived. And, if Sana is being honest, this young lady did not appear to be the owner of the company. She just gives off a laid-back feeling, not a totally dominant one.

"Good morning!" Son Chaeyoung replied enthusiastically, giggling. Her dimples were visible, causing Sana to smile, as she found the woman that she would work for to be adorable.

Chaeyoung's gaze fell on her when she was staring in silence. Even though she was enraptured, Sana felt required to say, "Good morning, Ms. Son," as she rose up, making a proper bow in front of the woman.

"What... w-what," Chaeyoung blinked numerous times, recognizing that this waiting line is intended for interviewees when there is an open position that needs to be filled right away. She hesitated for a moment, as if carefully considering something which Sana pondered over. It's only that something appears to be wrong.

"Ah, I completely forgot," Chaeyoung murmured, the tip of her brow and nodding. "Please wait here for a moment," she murmured, turning away quickly, and pulling a smartphone from her pocket. Chaeyoung hurriedly dialed a number and then placed the device near her ear.

 

Dahyun was playing an online mobile game when she received a phone call. "Oh, no, no, not now," she mumbled before banging her fist on the table. It's simply that she really wanted to win the game, and there's still a possibility. However, now that a call has been sent, the entire team she belongs to is more likely to experience a defeat than a victory. "What's with you and terrible timing, Son Chaeyoung?" Dahyun thought to herself as she answered the phone.

"Unnie!" exclaimed Chaeyoung, causing Dahyun to draw away from the device in her ear.

"Can't you not yell on the phone?" she said, earning only little chuckles from Chaeyoung.

"What? Why did you call? I'm in the middle of a game, and if I lose, I'm going to kick your once I see—"

"It's about the girl you recommended as a museum guide and educator," Chaeyoung cut in.

"Yeah? What about her?" Dahyun immediately calmed down, rising from the swivel chair, and finding her way to the balcony. "Isn't today the interview?" she inquired.

"Uh-huh," Chaeyoung replied, "that's the problem."

"Why? She didn't show up?"

"No, she's already here."

"So, what's going on?"

"I swear to God, it slipped my mind," Chaeyoung admitted, sighing. "I forgot it remained a vacant position because you wanted to fill it with an acquaintance."

"Chaeyoung-ah," Dahyun continued, "what exactly is going on?"

"Last Friday, I had my assistant hire someone else."

"What..." Dahyun clenched her fist and tightened her jaw, enraged at the news. "What did you just say?"

"Please accept my apologies, unnie; if only I had remembered," Chaeyoung sighed, truly sorry for Sana, who was patiently waiting outside. "I'll be the one to talk to her."

"No," Dahyun replied. "I'll give her a call, and you..."

"I'll do whatever you ask."

"Try to find any open vacancies and notify me quickly." "And, for Pete's sake, don't hire anyone else."

"I got it, unnie!"