Chapter Nine

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

The session did not last long, as Sana had predicted. One of the reasons it was completed in less time than a typical bout was that doing so felt natural. Perhaps this is due to a recollection of something they used to do together. Nayeon only began cutting her hair short when Sana wanted to sort of practice her skills in various aspects. And Nayeon was a very supportive girlfriend in high school, so she sat down in front of Sana, willing to get a haircut from a novice. But she never once regretted doing so. She loved and admired the bond it created between her and Sana. They grew much closer after that.

Nayeon rose from her chair, facing the other woman, who seemed unaffected by the closeness of their faces. Despite her desire to keep their gazes locked, Nayeon felt compelled to back down. It is clear from this action that if someone had not moved on, it would have been her. Sana relished the thought in the back of her mind.

"Coffee," Nayeon mumbled out of nowhere, peering out the salon window. Sana furrowed her brows, unsure if she had heard correctly, but Nayeon spoke again before she could even ask for it to be repeated. "Let's go get some coffee," she proposed.

"No, thank you," Sana replied simply.

"I want to talk to you about something else," Nayeon said gently, trying to catch a glimpse of the other's eyes once again. "The reason I came here," she made it absolutely clear.

Sana smiled momentarily before focusing her attention on her hands. "I knew you were here because of something specific," she said quietly. Admittedly, she had a feeling Nayeon wouldn't want to see her just for the sake of checking up on her. This woman, apparent in her actions, is not the type to pay a visit just to see how someone is doing. "I'm working, Lim Nayeon," Sana expressed subtly.

"It's something important."

"All right," Sana said, pinching her brows. "But I'm working; isn't my work important as well?"

"Fine," Nayeon said with a bob of her head. She didn't say anything else in an attempt to push Sana and bother her. "All right then," she said quietly one more time before walking past Sana without taking a second look. That was not something the other woman had expected. Nayeon doesn't normally let things go if she truly wants them, but maybe things have changed.

But, taken aback by this behavior, Sana's gaze involuntarily followed Nayeon's back. She was perplexed as to how such a brief argument could have occurred given how persistent the other should have been. Before she could even say anything to Nayeon, the woman did something unexpected. "What are you doing?" Sana questioned as she followed the other.

"Sitting down?" Nayeon thought to ask, raising both brows before leaning back comfortably. She raised her wrist close to her face to check the time after crossing her legs. "What are you still doing there? Go back to work," she murmured, sensing Sana's piercing eyes on her.

"I'm not going out for coffee with you," Sana had to clarify, but Nayeon merely chuckled as if she didn't want to hear it. "Please see yourself out," Sana said quietly.

"I'll wait for you," Nayeon stated decisively.

"You can't do that," Sana said, shaking her head. "Have you forgotten how busy you are?"

"I didn't."

"Then get on with your day; what's the point of still lingering about in here?"

"I told you it's about something important," Nayeon remarked again, scratching the top of her head as though annoyed by the repetitive questions. "But you said you're still working, and I respect that, so I'll sit here quietly and wait for you." "I won't get in your way, missy. Don't mind me in here," she added, fully knowing exactly what she wanted to do. "And don't remind me that I'm a busy person, since I already told you earlier that I'd make time for you, and I wasn't playing. I will actually make time for you," Nayeon said, causing Sana to stumble over her words.

"Woah," Shirou gasped, a little loudly and enthusiastically. He and his wife had definitely overheard the exchange. "How lovely."

"Shh, Shirou," Sayuri warned sternly.

Sana appeared to be ashamed of the couple hearing it, so she smiled tightly at Nayeon. "Fine," she murmured as she lowered herself to reach for the woman's wrist. "Let's go outside," Sana grumbled as she tugged Nayeon from her seat. The latter quickly followed, smirking as she easily obtained what she desired yet again.

 

As soon as the two women walked a few blocks away from the salon, Sana said, "Talk now." She stopped walking as well, pulling Nayeon's wrist, so the woman wouldn't step over. "We both don't have much time, so say it now," she said.

"Over coffee," said Nayeon.

"No," Sana said emphatically. "Say it now, or let's just not talk about it ever again?" she compelled the other woman to choose, and of course, she got her way.

"I heard you were applying for a job," Nayeon finally said, her eyes attempting to catch Sana's averted stare. "At Son & Art firm," and it immediately drew the woman's attention.

"How did you know that?" Sana inquired; her forehead wrinkled.

"Did you run a background check on me or something?" she inquired, evidently irritated by the prospect.

"That's not the most important bit in here, Sana," Nayeon said quietly. She exhaled heavily before continuing to explain. "Being a part of that company is not a beneficial move, therefore consider looking elsewhere."

"Is this the important thing you were talking about?" Sana questioned, not understanding why this was such a big deal to Nayeon. All she wants is a job that will compensate her fairly for her efforts, and the Son & Art firm is the best fit for her. "Why is it important to you to intervene in my life?"

"This isn't me interfering in your life," Nayeon responded, shaking her head, "this is just me helping you out." "Stop thinking about working for that company and stop receiving any correspondence from Kim Dahyun."

Sana furrowed her forehead, becoming further perplexed by the circumstance. When a name was suddenly dragged, she became even more curious as to why Nayeon was acting the way she is. "Kim Dahyun? How did you know she's assisting me with this?" she inquired quietly, but all she received was a solemn stare from the other woman. "She isn't even affiliated with Son & Art; as far as I know, she is only acquainted with the founder of the company."

"Kim Dahyun is a key stakeholder," Nayeon replied, and then it took another while before she could continue. "She's not someone you should put your trust in."

"So, should I put my trust in you instead?" Sana remarked mockingly. "That lady appeared in my life like an angel. I was frustrated because I had not been accepted for a job that I was pursuing that day," she remarked, her voice rising slightly. It's only that Sana believes Dahyun should not be attacked this way.

"Do you really think a person would help you out without wanting anything in return? This is the real world, Sana, no one is that nice anymore," Nayeon's voice stiffened as she desired the other to listen to her.

"That's not true; not everyone thinks of everything as a contract, a business. Not all people are like you," Sana responded. "Dahyun hasn't asked for anything."

"Not yet."

"What is your problem, and why are you being threatened by her?"

"I know her, Sana," Nayeon replied, her eyes darkening.

"And so? I also know her."

"She's my younger sister."

"What?"

"A half-sister," Nayeon clarified, leaving Sana with a stunned gaze. This thought clearly did not occur to the woman. "I know I didn't tell you that before, but it's true," Nayeon stated. "She knows you're my ex-girlfriend, so she'll use you to get back at me for her jealously over whatever."

Sana remained speechless. She had no idea that by the time she ran into Dahyun, she had already been welcomed back into Nayeon's life, which was her worst concern.

It took her some time to process the situation, but she finally looked Nayeon in the eyes. "I honestly wouldn't have guessed you're related," she said.

"But we are," replied Nayeon. "I don't want to believe it either."

"You're just not like her," Sana murmured, taking a step back to allow herself to breathe without being too close to Nayeon. "Dahyun is too kind, and you are the absolute opposite of her."

"You're not serious, are you?" Nayeon inquired, sensing that Sana would continue to believe that befriending Dahyun would be favorable to her. "I know you, Sana; you dislike the idea of being used." "And it's apparent that Dahyun would use you against me, so why are you acting like that?" she questioned, unable to believe what the woman had just told her. Aside from her ego getting trampled, it's simply hard to swallow. "You even despised me for using you, despite the fact that I never did."

"You'd never get me to talk about the past I'd worked so hard to forget, Lim Nayeon," Sana simply stated. "If I'm lucky enough to get into Son & Art, I'd be really grateful," she said, only to upset Nayeon even more.

The woman grimaced, not agreeing with this. "If you want a job, simply tell me." "I have a lot of connections," she began, "just give me a day, and you'll be hired somewhere the following one."

Nayeon didn't mind if she sounded eager to get Sana out of Dahyun's hands. That's because she doesn't want to complicate the issue at work any further. When Sana decides to go against her, Nayeon's company will be in even more jeopardy. The explanation for this isn't certain yet, but she could sense something coming from as far as here.

"No thank you, Lim Nayeon," Sana said, wearing a small smile on her face. "If there is someone whom I would never seek assistance from, it is you," she continued.

Since Sana appeared to be overly stubborn, Nayeon took the hint. She assumed the woman would no longer listen, so she muttered, "Fine." The fact was, Nayeon didn't want to back down at all. It is not in her nature to give up on something — especially Sana. "Just keep in mind that I wouldn't listen to you if you suddenly needed me."

"Don't worry, I won't need you," Sana said immediately.

"I stand by my words, Sana," Nayeon remarked once more before turning away with a heavy heart.

Sana, on the other hand, was concerned about her judgment call. As soon as Nayeon walked away, she began to wonder if Nayeon the woman was correct about the entire matter. But Sana couldn't go back and redo her decision any longer. If Nayeon is going to stand by her words, she must do the same at any costs.

Sana was still tuned out of reality when she received a phone call. She didn't even bother looking at the contact ID before answering because her head was muddled with random possibilities. "Hello?" she asked softly, but her countenance quickly shifted. And this is an indication that something unpleasant has occurred. "My... my father?" she muttered as her eyes started to well up.