Chapter Fourteen

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

"How's the case going?" Sayuri spoke as she placed the tray of lemonade drinks on the coffee table. Shirou's gaze was drawn to Sana's face as a result. And judging from that, they had no idea what to expect as an answer.

"I don't really know," Sana said, heaving a sigh. In fact, she was always present whenever Atty. Lee inquired about her father's case, but she had no idea how to describe the progress. If there is any progress. "Atty. Lee isn't far from the public defenders who tried to prove my father's innocence," she explained.

"Tried to prove your father's innocence?" scoffed Sayuri, clearly disagreeing with what Sana said. "They didn't even try," she said, shaking her head.

"All of those scumbag defenders took the case as a formality, but none of them ever believed Sachio was innocent."

 

It was a harsh reality. The dysfunctional criminal justice system contributes to the fact that not all innocent people receive the justice they deserve. The wealthy can get away with committing a crime, whereas impoverished individuals who have been merely accused face punishment they do not deserve.

That is precisely the case with Sachio Minatozaki. And that is precisely something Sana and her small family could never accept.

"How are we going to prevail if even the professional attorneys don't believe Sachio?" Shirou stressed in a controlled manner, tilting his head. All he knew was that they were doing their best, but it wasn't enough.

"I'm thinking of getting a new one," Sana revealed, drawing gasps from the other two. Sana made a rash decision when she usually always tried to reconsider before taking another action. She is unlikely to be impulsive. "It's not final," Sana scratched the back of her neck after receiving such a reaction.

"All right, tell us everything that's on your mind," Sayuri urged, attempting to find out what had caused Sana to think this way.

"I just don't want to fight for this case with someone who treats dad like nonsense," Sana replied, her glare piercing her aunt's. "I wish you could have seen how Atty. Lee looked at my father. His eyes were filled with judgment."

"How can I expect him to fight for my father's innocence when he can't even try to believe what he says? He's a defense attorney! Isn't he supposed to be on his client's side?"

"I see what you're saying, Sana," Sayuri remarked gently. The truth is, she wanted to rant and rave, but that would only add to Sana's anxiety. "If this situation with Atty. Lee continues," she continued, "we should definitely consider getting a new one." "I can't keep my brother in jail for another year when he's not supposed to be there."

Sana whispered softly, "Aunt." "You know this will cost us money again, don't you?" she inquired. And that certainly did not occur to Sayuri's mind.

"Sana is right," Shirou acknowledged, prompting the two women to glance at him expectantly. "It was included in the contract with Atty. Lee. We can't take back the money we paid him because it's been over three months since we hired him."

Sana was well aware of this, but hearing it still brought her down. The sense of hopelessness is returning to her, and she now feels powerless to do anything about it.

"If we appoint another attorney, we'll need to raise enough money or get it somewhere else," Shirou added, his shoulder slumped. "But it's only either we risk losing once more, or we have to struggle even harder to get Sachio out."

 

After that conversation, the silence lasted longer than expected. Despite their best efforts, the three did not come up with a solution. It's just that they can't make a decision that they could later regret.

The deafening silence was finally broken when three knocks on the door were heard. Sayuri was ready to stand up to see who was outside when Shirou grabbed her arm.

"I'll check who it is," Shirou remarked, standing up without waiting for a response or a question from Sayuri.

"Are we expecting a visitor today?" Sana asked, her brow strained. Sayuri remained silent because she, too, had no clue. "We never have visitors, so this is new," the younger woman observed.

 

Shirou's countenance changed as soon as he opened the door. It wasn't rage or surprise, but rather the terror of who he had seen. But, if he was considering running, he had nowhere to go.

"Step out and shut the door behind you," one of the three gentlemen instructed. Shirou took a hard swallow, not allowing another second to pass, before taking a step away from the inside. And, as the man had requested, he closed the door behind him.

That was where the aggression occurred. The two other men grabbed both of Shirou's arms with their strength combined and dragged him down the alley near the residence.

 

 

 

Shirou had now taken three punches to the face. He was also kicked in the stomach multiple times. Fortunately, he had not coughed up any blood yet.

"Hey, hey, look at me," the apparent leader of this select group urged Shirou to lift his chin. "Do you understand why this is happening to you now?" he asked, breathing heavily. "You agreed to our terms." "You guaranteed us you could repay that massive loan in three months, and it's already two weeks late."

Shirou muttered, too weakly, "Give me a little more time." "No matter what happens, I'll pay you back."

"I honestly don't understand your kind of people," the man laughed, shaking his head in astonishment. "You agree with the terms, but you're not going to meet them anyway." "So, why sign a deal in the first place?"

"Three months is too short, I didn't realize it," Shirou said, his face desperate.

"You realize we gave you a lot of money, don't you?" the man asked, trying to retain his temper, but the arrogance in his tone persisted. "Do you think we could allow that much out of our hands for a long time?" "If in three months you can't even give me a quarter of it, how long would it take for you to pay me back in six months? or a year? I would need to go after you for how long... five years just to get my money back."

Shirou was unable to speak. After all, the man had a point. It is all his fault that he was unable to meet the terms he agreed to.

"So, look at me, old man, and hear what I'm about to tell you," the man continued. "You have until the end of the month to pay your loan," he added, "and if you don't, I'll take everything you have."

"I understand," Shirou murmured as tears welled up in his eyes. He despises the fact that he is unable to complain because it is his fault. He should not have put his life in jeopardy by entering into a deal with a loan shark, but it's too late now.

"Check his pockets," the man told the other two men. As a result, they went through Shirou's pockets. They discovered his wallet and opened it to find only ten bucks. "Take it, and let's leave," said the man.

As per their leader, the two men robbed Shirou's only money. Before they left, one of the men threw one more hard punch in Shirou's face.

While the men went away slowly, Shirou managed to say, "wait for a second," which the three men heard despite his weak voice. They all turned back to Shirou, curious to hear what this bruised man had to say. "Would it be possible for me to acquire another loan from you while I still have an overdue balance?" That had to be the last straw for him.

When they heard that, the three men couldn't help but laugh. "What a crazy old man," one of them remarked, shaking his head.

"Let's just go before someone sees us," the other suggested. As a result, the three kept walking away, leaving Shirou alone. That's when he burst into tears, ashamed of how far he had to go just to help Sana and her father.

 

 

 

Sana sat silently by her father's side in a private room where Atty. Lee would be addressing a variety of issues with them. It would mostly be questions about the sequence of events and interactions he may have had with the victim. People who had hired a professional to handle their case would normally be less concerned and more confident in their capacity to win the case. But not for Sachio and Sana. They are still as agitated as they were when a public defender attempted to defend Sachio's innocence.

"I know you don't like him, dad," Sana remarked softly after spotting Sachio's nervous fiddling with his thumbs. "But let us still try to trust him," she continued.

"Even if he doesn't trust me?" Sachio questioned, leaving Sana speechless. It's true, and Sana can sense how handling this case appears to be going against Atty. Lee's will. "I can do that, Sana," Sachio had to say after seeing Sana's expression. After all, he appreciates how hard his daughter is trying to prove that he is not guilty of anything.

"Let's see how he is today," Sana replied, trying to maintain hope that no longer exists in her heart. The only reason she continued believing was that the option of her father facing unfathomable penalties for something he didn't do weighed heavily on her.

"No matter what happens or how much the world is against you, I'm on your side, and I'll always be on your side," Sana could only assure Sachio.

Hearing his daughter would never leave was enough for a father. Only by doing so did Sachio feel he had won the case.

"Thank you, Sana," he could only say.

 

It wasn't long until the door to their room opened, exposing Atty. Lee, who had the file envelope in one hand. Sachio and Sana stood up to express their respect.

"Nice to meet you again," Atty. Lee stated. "I'm sorry for being late," he added, peering at his wristwatch before heading over and taking a seat. "Shall we begin?" he respectfully requested.

"Please," Sana replied as she motioned for her father to take a seat.

"I went over the case again overnight and sought to get more information from the news and media," Atty. Lee said before placing the crucial papers on the table. Sana and Sachio's gaze was drawn to the printed news and other papers containing pieces of evidence that might be used against them. "What can you say based upon what you've seen?" he questioned, "do you think we have a chance against all of this?"

"What kind of question is that?" Sana asked, slightly irritated. Of course, knowing how the media tarnished her father infuriated her. And now, hearing this question rekindled the flames in her heart.

"I'd like to hear your thoughts," Atty. Lee stated calmly.

Sachio took a deep breath, which drew the attention of the other two. "No, Atty.," he said in response to the query. "How can a poor old guy like me compete with the world?" Sachio thought, his soul crushed.

"Dad," Sana whispered quietly, her heart breaking for her father. "You'll get through this because you're saying the truth."

Sachio did not respond since he felt that was not the appropriate response that Atty. Lee had been anticipating. He'd been in this dire situation repeatedly with public defenders.

"Right, dad?" Sana asked, but her father merely gazed at her with sad eyes.

"Listen, Mr. Minatozaki..." "If you accept all of these things you've done," Atty. Lee uttered in the middle of the silence, "the years of your sentence will be reduced."

"Stop that crap," Sana stressed, but the man ignored her.

"Not only that, but your conscience in your heart will subside; has it ever occurred to you that maybe you just feel sick because you are truly guilty and seek forgiveness?" he continued, clearly attempting to persuade the old man.

"Are you crazy?!" Sana exclaimed, slamming her fist on the table's surface. "Do you even hear what you're saying, Atty. Lee?" she asked, her voice raised, and her eyes filled with rage.

"Ms. Minatozaki," Atty. Lee grumbled. "Have you forgotten who the specialist in this field is?" he inquired. "I know what I'm doing, and this is also for your father; I know you couldn't accept it, but all of the evidence is pointing to him."

Sana insisted, "He was framed!"

"If he was framed, why can't any other lawyers prove it?" Atty. Lee made a point of saying. And while Sana was speechless, "That is because it is true. He did it, whether he tells you differently. He was the one who committed the act," he added.

Sana shook her head from side to side, whispering, "You're sick in the head."