Chapter Four

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

This morning, Dahyun's day is starting later than the rest. Despite having to leave for work at 10:00 a.m., she awoke at approximately 9:30 a.m. It was only that she couldn't fully open her eyes, and her eyelids felt glued together. So, whenever her cellphone's alarm went off, she would push the snooze button until it was thirty minutes before her working hours.

Dahyun is quite relatable, isn't she?

"Good morning, Ms. Kim," the friendly security guard said as Dahyun approached his desk to enter the building. He was delighted to see this woman and had a large smile on his face. And it is clear from this that Dahyun is somewhat of a people person, and everyone regards her as someone very dear.

"Good morning, Sung-ho," she replied cheerfully, smiling from ear to ear. "I don't know where I found the energy to smile when my father is surely getting all upset by now," Dahyun replied quietly, followed by a light chuckle.

"I see you're late yet again," Sung-Ho remarked, shaking his head from side to side. He is, after all, a witness to Dahyun's daily tardiness at getting out of bed, only judging from walking in late almost all the time. It's not ideal for a young attorney to behave in this manner, but it works well for her anyway. "Still, I hope you will make today another productive day for you, Ms.," he remarked politely.

"You too," Dahyun replied, touched by such a wish. "Stand... strong in there," she encouraged, realizing that Sung-Ho would spend the majority of his time standing at the entrance.

Dahyun had more good morning greetings as the daughter of the head of this law firm, and she returned the favor to every one of the staff and employees. That is one of the reasons she would always run a little later. She sure enjoys having small conversations.

 

When Dahyun reached the conference room, the attendees of the forum were already complete. When she opened the door, all eyes were on her, and all she could do was smile shyly before slowly closing it. "Good day," she said quietly, raising one hand slightly but not making a wave with it.

"Good day," she said quietly, raising one hand slightly but not making a wave with it. Mr. Kim Dae-won inquired, lifting both eyebrows as he looked at his daughter.

"How many times do I have to ask you not to wear your... biker's clothing to work?" he asked, taking a long breath, and shaking his head. Oh well, he couldn't really do much about it.

Dahyun has a distinct sense of style that she has kept since she was a child. All Dae-won knew was that his daughter adored his older sibling (who had already passed away) very much. He was the one who taught Dahyun how to ride a motorcycle, which she gradually fell in love with, and she still refuses to get a car even now . Anyway, his sibling had almost the same fashion sense as Dahyun.

"And how many times should you scold me in front of the board of directors and trustees?" Dahyun inquired as she approached the vacant seat designated for her. The other stayed mute, presumably accustomed to this type of situation. Some of them, on the other hand, were smiling with delight at Dahyun's presence. They admire her free-spirited nature. "It's not like they're saying anything about how I'm dressed," she added, gazing around at the others, who were hushed. "Only you, Mr. Chairman, are objecting."

Dae-won sighed, at a loss for words and not in the mood for more discussion on this subject. He's had enough of this because Dahyun wouldn't listen to him even if he spoke nicely. And he couldn't hold it against his daughter. Dae-won wasn't there to guide Dahyun throughout her childhood, so he couldn't expect the young lady to listen to him now that she was a grownup. Dahyun has evolved into her own person, just as she desired.

"Why are you late this time?" he chose to inquire instead. "Let me hear your excuse for today," he said, drawing back his chair to take a seat. "Did you have to feed a stray dog because you thought it was miserable and desperate for a bit of food, or did you help an elderly woman cross the street?"

Dahyun chuckled and took the pen that was placed in front of her. She started spinning it between her index and middle fingers continuously. "Apparently," she began, "I hit the snooze button about fifteen times before I was fully awake," she continued, charmingly smiling.

"Oh, so today's version of you is the honest one?" Dae-won mused, bobbing his head up and down.

"Mina's wedding was yesterday, which you didn't attend," Dahyun replied. "Several people, including Mr. Myoui, were searching for you, but I said, as usual, you are a busy man." "And it was a tiring event, so..."

"You had to sleep more?"

"Yes."

The others in the meeting couldn't help silently laughing at how adorable Dahyun is in their eyes. She resembled a stubborn child, while Dae-won resembled a patient father.

"Was your sister there as well?" he said, forcing Dahyun to become strangely quiet. Even her face appeared to have gone expressionless.

"Why ask me?" Dahyun asked, raising both of her brows.

"Aren't you obsessed with whatever your sister is up to?" Dae-won questioned, forcing himself up from his seat to continue the meeting. "I'm very sure you know everything there is to know about her." "You're her number one fan."

"Hater," Dahyun clarified in hushed tones that only a couple could hear. "I'm growing tired of this debate," she added in a louder voice as she leaned back in her chair, relaxed. "Perhaps we should continue with the meeting," Dahyun suggested before inserting the pen between her nose and puckered lips.

"Dahyun, please stay after the presentations," Dae-won requested.

 

Sana, on the other hand, is on the phone with someone while watering the plant pots in their front yard. Someone was lecturing her from the other end of the call, based on her expression.

"Momo," she had to interrupt her friend because the words flowing from that mouth were like machine gun rounds. "All's well; she's not even that upset," she explained.

"But is it true? You intentionally splashed wine on her?" Momo inquired; her voice still clear even though the conversation was not on speaker. "You're such a troublemaker!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah, I know," Sana said. She reflected on it all night and regretted doing such a thing without hesitation. "It was a stupid move," she said quietly.

"Good thing, despite your bullheaded , you acknowledge it."

"Hey," Sana remarked, raising the watering can above a low table to concentrate on her conversation with her friend first. "How come I didn't realize Lim Nayeon was the one you work for?" she inquired; one eyebrow arched.

Momo responded, "Because you didn't ask." "Well, I figured you knew because Mina was the one who helped me to get that job, and she mentioned that she is acquainted with Ms. Lim."

"Really?" Sana said, her lips parted, as if she had no understanding what was going on. "Where was I the entire time? I don't remember anything, not even the fact that you two spoke Nayeon's name."

"Why are you even calling her just that?" Momo inquired. "Both of us address her as Ms. Lim, so maybe you assumed it was a different person," she responded, hesitantly, because it was simply an assertion.

"Her name is Nayeon, so I call her that."

"And I don't see many people calling her that except her family members," Momo explained. "Do you know her or what? Miyeon said you were infuriated over Ms. Lim's mere presence; what's the deal?"

"Miyeon said that?" sighed Sana. She did tell the girls to keep their mouths shut since Momo would be worried, which Sana did not want. The woman should be thinking about her romantic getaway, but they are currently engaged in a call about this certain issue. "I know her, but then I don't."

"And what exactly does that mean?"

"Just think that I've only met Nayeon once in my life, and that's enough for me to despise her for the rest of the days I'm alive."

"Wow," Momo muttered, "you must have had a serious disagreement with her."

"Perhaps," Sana shrugged, as if the other had seen her. "But, Momo, don't be too concerned about this."

"How come I can't? Sis, you're at odds with my boss."

"Exactly," Sana responded. "I am the one who is at odds with her, and the issue should be between us," she explained. "You should offer your wife your undivided attention, you know."

Momo sighed deeply, conceding defeat. Despite being a sociable person, Sana knows how to keep her secrets. Therefore, whatever happens, she won't tell anyone about her situation with Nayeon. Momo could only murmur, "Fine." "Don't do anything stupid till I get back, okay?"

"Are you now my mother?"

"Shut up. It's natural for me to be concerned about your troublesome ."

"Oh," Sana said, puckering her lips. "You're such a sweet person; I hope you married me instead," she teased, receiving only a hearty laugh from Momo.

"You moron, I'm going to hang up."

"Sure, Momo. Please send my love to Mina, too."