Chapter Ten

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

"Sana, calm down first; we won't be able to understand anything if you're crying," Sayuri advised, worried about her niece's sudden emotional outburst after the conversation with Nayeon. The couple didn't want to pass judgment, but they had a feeling that the cause of Sana's tears was the same woman who had previously made her cry like that. "What happened?" Sayuri asked, reaching out to take the younger woman's hands in hers.

"Is it about Lim Nayeon again?" Shirou asked scornfully, crossing his arms, and looking angered by only thinking about it. Sayuri took a quick look back at him, glaring. "What? If it's her fault, I'll go talk to her right now." "I'm sick and tired of that woman breaking our sweet Sana's heart."

"Auntie," Sana said softly after she had calmed down a little. She wiped the tears that were falling down her cheeks with her free hand while gasping for air. "Auntie, it's about dad," Sana continued, and she burst into tears again thereafter. "I received a call... a call concerning his medical condition," she almost whispered.

Sayuri and Shirou understood what she had said this time. The couple's deeply troubled eyes locked together since they didn't know what to say. Even though they knew this day would come because Sana's father isn't generally healthy, they are still taken aback by the news.

"Auntie, I'm extremely worried," Sana said as she shook her head, refusing to accept this reality, but it is unavoidable. "Especially because I know he's not receiving good treatment in prison because everyone thinks he's morally corrupt when he isn't," she sobbed. "I want to get him out of there, but I can't; I don't know what else to do."

"We all want the same thing, Sana," Sayuri said quietly before looking down. Her eyes began to tear up as well, and she didn't think they could be stopped. "Your father doesn't deserve to be there, and I'm... mad... I'm sorry he had to go through this."

"How do I get him out of there?" Sana asked, her eyes pleading. "Where do I get the money to pay a specialized lawyer who will be successful in trying to appeal my father's guilty verdict? Even the public defenders don't think he's innocent, auntie. No one believes him other than us," she stressed continually, breaking the couple's heart. It hurts them to think about a father being convicted despite being innocent, but seeing Sana like this hurts them even more.

"Hey, come here," Sayuri murmured, widening her arms, and asking Sana to hug her. Sayuri used one of her hands to comb the younger woman's hair as soon as she let herself into that embrace. "He'll get out of there, okay? We'll do all we can to make that happen," she tried to reassure Sana, even though she was losing hope for herself. I can't blame Sayuri for feeling that way, all because the case has been bleak since then.

"How?" sobbed Sana. "I don't want him to die in there, auntie. I don't want it," she said again. "This is becoming practically impossible."

Shirou had to turn away from the two as he too broke into tears. They have always attempted to help Sana and her father in various ways. They even tried to ask for a loan, but they couldn't because they didn't really know if it could be paid even after a lifetime. It's a pity they're not as well off.

"I have given up on my dream."

 Hearing those sentiments from Sana shattered their hearts completely. They understood deep down that all the young woman was doing wasn't for herself any longer.

"All I can think of right now is getting my father out of there because that isn't where he belongs," Sana added, her voice cracking. "I don't mind not accomplishing much anymore; all I want to do is prove to the world that he isn't who people think he is."

"We know, sweetie," Sayuri remarked before kissing her niece on the forehead. "Hold on a little longer; you need to be strong for your father, and that's what you need to remember right now."

 

Nayeon walked inside her office with a blank expression on her face. It's most likely induced by the idea of Sana somewhat favoring Dahyun over her. Her ego was adversely affected by this, but it would not knock her down. "If that's what Sana wants," Nayeon continued telling herself, noting, "Just remember that if she comes to you for help, you won't melt. Keep yourself together, Nayeon."

This turned out to be the main reason she didn't want Sana to cooperate with Dahyun and Chaeyoung. Nayeon is mindful that her previous lover had the ability to unfreeze her stone-cold heart several years ago. And she is now concerned that Sana may still be successful in doing it if asked by the other party.

She removed her blazer after closing the door to make herself more comfortable. Nayeon slung it on one arm as she approached the coffee table to grab the air conditioner's remote. A knock on the door was heard while she was adjusting the temperature of the room.

"Who could this be?" she muttered as she lowered the remote. Nayeon returned to the door to see who had come. When it was opened, it revealed a man on his back. "You're here," Nayeon said as soon as she recognized the man.

"Oh," the man said, a sheepish look on his face. He must not have heard the sound of the door opening since he continued to stare down the corridor to Nayeon's office before the woman spoke. "Hello," he said.

"Hi?" Nayeon said quietly, unsure of what to say. She narrowed her eyes after hearing no more words. Instead, she questioned, "What brought you here?"

"Ah," the man said as he peeked into the office, which forced Nayeon to step aside to welcome him in. "I was in the museum with a friend," he explained as his gaze wandered about the office. This indicates that he is visiting for the first time. "So, I thought I'd stop over to see how you were."

"I see," Nayeon remarked as she scratched her brow. She didn't anticipate this man to show up, so she had no idea what to say to welcome him. "That's new," she chuckled quietly as she walked over to her desk to hang her blazer.

"You cut your hair shorter?" The man suddenly asked, though he was not looking at Nayeon. He had to have noticed it the first time they exchanged glances. "It's nice that you made time for yourself."

"I don't forget," said Nayeon.

"Good," the man said. "How's your mother?" he inquired, prompting Nayeon to snicker and shake her head. This was something she had predicted. Nam-gil's visit today wasn't to check on his daughter, but rather to talk about Yu-jun's birthday dinner.

"Didn't you come to ask me about that?"

Nam-gil, ignored that question and instead inquired, "Did you give her my gift?"

"How could I give her that at a family dinner?" Nayeon asked, shaking her head. "And she didn't give me a friendly look when I mentioned your name, so I didn't want to break the moment by presenting her your gift," she explained. "I'll do it another time, though."

"Forget it," Nam-gil exclaimed, exhaling hard. "Don't upset her."

"She'll never be okay with you again, dad," Nayeon had to hurt him with truth rather than lies, so she told him. "Nothing could make it right between you two, and she's now happily married to Dae-won," she went on.

"This is not because I want to rebuild a bridge between us or that we can be together again, Nayeon," Nam-gil contended, his eyes filled with regret. "I committed a mistake, and I will be burdened by it forever," he added. "If I don't make it up to her for as long as I can, this guilt within me will burn me to death."

"Mom forgave you a long time ago," sighed Nayeon. "I suppose you are the one who cannot forgive yourself."

 

The next morning, Dahyun was in her office, reading a newspaper with her feet crossed above the table. Just because the colors are almost faded, it is easy to tell that this paper is old. In any case, there is a reason she is interested in one of the articles written there. "Why is this company involved in practically every case I've handled?" she wondered aloud to herself, tilting her head. "It's usually an employee, but I can't find much about this firm either. And they don't even offer statements about the crimes their workers have committed."

When she heard the phone ring, her thoughts were interrupted. Dahyun tossed the newspaper down the desk before setting her feet on the floor. She quickly reached for the phone to answer the call. "This is Atty. Kim Dahyun speaking," she identified herself.

"Yes, Ms. Kim. Someone wants to meet you and says it is urgent," a woman at the other end of the line said. "Her name is Sana Minatozaki."

"Urgent?" Dahyun asked quietly, but because it was a phone call, the other person clearly heard her.

"Yes, she said it would be an important matter," the woman replied. "Do you want me to send her to you?" she inquired.

"No," Dahyun replied. "Tell her I'll meet her in the lobby," she responded, hurriedly hanging up the phone. She then rose up, cracking her neck from side to side as she approached the door.