Chapter Twelve

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

Sana is currently sitting on her bed, her back against the headboard. She hugged her knees close to her chest. And because she was bored, she decided to reach for the picture frame located on the bedside table. Sana's eyes welled up when she touched the image of her father carrying her when she was a child.

The photograph was taken at a popular amusement park near the old town where they used to reside. Back when everything was normal, her father would very often tell her that he would one day take her back to that place. But he was a busy man, trying to work tirelessly for his daughter's needs as a single parent, so they didn't have much free time to bond and make up for lost time as a family. Then there were the unfortunate events which made Sana and her father's life a complete misery.

Sana's dreams were tormented by the night he was arrested and forcibly taken while having dinner inside their small house. She couldn't get her father's innocent expression off her mind as he was being dragged by the police. What she despised the most about that situation was how none of them showed mercy, tearing at the old man's shirt as if he weren't human.

" all of them," Sana said to herself as she replayed that night in her head. She wiped a tear from her cheek before returning the photo frame to its rightful place. "I'm going to get you out of there any way I can; I'll show everyone wrong, dad," she murmured, "That's a promise."

"Are you awake, Sana?" a voice from behind the door questioned, followed by two faint knocks.

Sana calmed herself by breathing in and out before rising from her position on the bed. She wiped the tears from her eyes, hoping her aunt wouldn't see the pain in her eyes this time. It was only that Sana predicted that her sadness would have the same effect on her aunt and uncle. She is aware that the couple is going through a lot on their own, and there is no way she would want to add to that.

"Your uncle has already returned home, and he has some good news for you," the woman explained. "Come down if you're awake, okay?"

The woman was about to turn away from the locked door into Sana's room when it opened, displaying the younger woman with a slight smile on her face. "Ah, it's good that you're still awake," Sayuri murmured, gently touching the side of Sana's face. "Are you okay?" she had to inquire first.

"I'm well, auntie," Sana replied, immediately averting her sight from the other's. She was afraid that looking into it for too long would make Sayuri notice that she had cried again. "Uncle is downstairs?" Sana asked, hoping to avoid a close-up conversation.

But then Sayuri saw her grow and mature into the lady she is today. That is why she could never truly hide from the woman. Sayuri notices when Sana isn't feeling well, but she wouldn't compel the younger one to open up at this moment. "He's waiting for us," she said simply. "Let's go," she remarked as she led the way down. "Watch your steps, okay?"

 

Shirou sat on the couch, shaking one leg, patiently waiting for the two to come down. He could hear their voices from upstairs and knew Sana would join them. "It's worth it," Shirou said quietly to himself, his gaze drawn to the duffle bag beside him.

"Sana's here," Sayuri murmured as she took the final step down the stairs. Sana walked behind her, her eyebrows arched, wondering what this was all about. "You're lucky she's awake at this hour," the woman commented.

"How are you feeling, sweetie?" Shirou inquired, rather concernedly looking at Sana. "You couldn't sleep?"

Sana held her nape, trying to think of an excuse. "I finished something," she said with a smile. "So, I haven't really tried to sleep yet," she explained as she followed Sayuri to the couch. "Auntie told me you had good news?"

Shirou only smiled and nodded when he heard that. He seemed to be prepared to deliver some exciting news to the two. "Yes, that's why I wanted you to hear it as well," he explained.

"You look happy," Sana said as she sat down.

"He's been smiling like that since he arrived home," Sayuri replied, her curiosity rising with each passing second. "Tell us right now, what is it?" she demanded.

"I know you'll be upset since I did it again, honey," Shirou stated, raising the woman's brows in concern. "But don't be, since today has become my fortunate day," he continued, sheepishly smiling.

"What exactly is it?" Sayuri said, while Sana just listened closely to both of them, perplexed as to what was going on, but she remained patient. "Say it directly before I actually get upset," she said.

"I went horse racing... gambling," Shirou replied. When he noticed Sayuri's mouth gaping, perhaps to yell and do some scolding, he spoke again. "I won!" he exclaimed, raising both fists and laughing heartily. "I won, Sana!" Shirou declared again, this time glancing at the young woman. "Look at this; it's loaded with cash."

Sayuri stuttered, not quite grasping what was going on. She remained motionless, merely watching Shirou open the duffle bag. Her heart nearly dropped to the floor when she saw what was inside. It was a substantial quantity of cash. She whispered, "Shirou... how..."

Sana was also taken aback. She thought she was dreaming, but she hadn't slept since the night before, so she knew it wasn't. "You pretty much won, uncle," she said quietly, and the man heard her. Shirou glanced at Sana with a warm smile on his face, and the young woman only realized by then why the man had been gambling. "Is it..." she began.

"For your father," Shirou replied flatly. "Today is a lucky day for me, for us..." he paused, exhaling deeply before saying, "And for your father, Sana."

 

It was quiet at 8:00 a.m. inside the Seoul Detention Center, where Mr. Minatozaki Sachio was being held. Sachio spent his time sitting on a garden bench with a small diary in his hand, scribbling all of his thoughts.

When he eventually gets out, he wants to show his daughter this.

Sachio's heart is full of optimism, but after such a long time here, he is progressively giving up the slim chance. He is beginning to believe that this is his fate, that he will spend the rest of his days here.

"Minatozaki, Sachio," an officer called out in the garden, catching the attention of all the inmates in the vicinity. Hearing his name, Sachio stood up and closed his small diary. He approached the officer with a slight smile, having known that the other wouldn't return.

"You have a visitor," the man stated flatly.

Sachio remained silent as the other turned away, asking to be followed. While they were walking out, a group of other male prisoners began to smile strangely at him. That is how it has always been.

"Lord crook," one of the muscular men with full arm tattoos said. The others laughed as they agreed with what had been said.

"Why is he a lord crook?" inquired a new recruit among their circle of friends inside the cell. "What did he do?" he continued, hoping for more than just laughs.

"You don't know him?" asked another man, raising both eyebrows. 

"He's pretty famous; he was all over the television at the time," a young man in his twenties replied, smirking. "I believe it was before I started high school."

"You went to high school? That's interesting."

"Shut up."

The new person in their group interrupted while the others were laughing about that unnecessary information. Perhaps he was truly interested in the case because Sachio does not appear to be the type to commit a crime. "So, what happened?" he inquired.

"Abduction, ual assault, and murder," the young man chuckled, shaking his head. "He did all of that to his daughter's high school classmate." "Intriguing, huh?"

"He did that?"

"Why? You couldn't believe him?"

"He doesn't look likely to be the kind to do that."

"Don't be fooled by that innocent face," one of the men said, pointing to another prisoner. "See that skinny son of a ?" he inquired. "That skinny one set fire to a federal building in an attempt to kill the deputy speaker."

"It's not about outward appearance, man." "The person most likely to commit the crime is the one you least suspect."

"That Sachio, he is the incarnation of the devil."

 

Sana sat quietly on the other side of the glass barrier in the visiting area. She struggled to think of the perfect words to say to deliver the news, but her mind was blank. Her only thought was to see her father and see how he was.

When the door opened, showing Sachio in handcuffs, the thoughts in her head came to a halt. Sana's heart was broken when the man smiled sweetly at him with sad eyes.

"Hi," she said, waving her hand, knowing the man couldn't hear her yet. Sana had to take a few deep breaths in and out to relax as her father took a seat.

"Sana," Sachio said after bringing the phone to his ear. "How are you, Sana, my daughter?" he inquired.

"How could you ask that of me when I should be worried about you?" Sana exhaled, her shoulders falling.

"I'm fine, Sana; you know I'm a tough guy."

"When did you start feeling sick?"

"It's been two months since I've felt like something was wrong," Sachio replied, trying to catch Sana's gaze and reassuring her that everything will be fine. "I asked if I could have a check-up, but they said it's nothing to worry about."

"But it turns out to be a serious thing," Sana said, growing disappointed. She was already aware of her father's position in that place, but she couldn't help herself. She was still both mad and sorry. "I don't see why they can't at least treat you like a human; they imprisoned you despite your innocence, and they still have to play this game?" Sana was frustrated.

"I'm fine, Sana," Sachio promised his daughter. He understands how stressful it has been for his family since then. "You know, people get sick when they get old," he added.

"You wouldn't have gotten sick if you had been with me," Sana said. "Because I'm not going to let that happen."

"But I'm not with you."

"Yes," Sana said, acknowledging defeat in this conversation. "Dad, we'll file for a reopening of your case," she added abruptly, causing the man's eyes to widen. "I'm still looking for a lawyer, but it shouldn't take long."

"Lawyer?" Sachio inquired, "A public defender, right?"

"No, not public defenders; I'm referring to a specialized lawyer."

"Sana, it's too expensive."

"We already have it figured out, so don't worry about the money," Sana replied, her eyes gleaming with hope. "Just hang on a little longer, okay? I can see you're almost there," she added.

"Will it take another year?" Sachio wondered, still unconvinced. This had happened in the past, and his expectations were high. Losing the trial when everyone expected Sachio to be found innocent was painful.

They felt betrayed, especially Sana, who still harbors resentment. Only if Atty. Lim Nam-gil presented all of the pieces of evidence he was holding in court; Sachio would've been freed from prison. But for whatever reason, Nam-gil let this small and disadvantaged family go down in defeat.

"Hopefully not, because I can't bear having you in that place for another year," Sana replied. "You deserve to be free."

 

Two weeks went by in the blink of an eye. Perhaps this was due to everyone being busy as well as struggling to work diligently on their days. Sana, Sayuri, and Shirou are all well-represented in that exposition. They spent the majority of their time searching for a credible law firm that wouldn't be too cost- prohibitive.

Shirou, in particular, advised Sana to spend all of their money on a reputable lawyer, but the young lady refused. Shirou earned that money, she reasoned, even if it was by luck. In a way, the man should be able to enjoy even a tiny bit of it on his own. Furthermore, they are a little behind on their rent, and their expenses are high off the ground in the salon.

Shirou gave up on getting Sana to use all of the money after a few thought-provoking exchanges. He rationalized that the budget they had for hiring a lawyer wasn't all that small, anyway. If they are fortunate, they may be able to get a competent attorney to resolve the lawsuit on the basis of terms and agreements.

Now, I must say they have been extremely fortunate. This young man has the required qualifications.

"Good morning, Mr. Minatozaki Sachio," a man in a gray suit and tie said, raising his file folder on the table. They are currently at the prison's parloir with Sana. "My name is Atty. Lee Deok-su and I will be taking this case charged with multiple offenses, including kidnapping, ual assault on a teenager, and... murder," he added.

"He did not do it," Sana interjected, prompting Sachio to take her hand under the table, possibly to calm her down. "All I want to say is that you did not do it."

"I understand," Sachio almost murmured. "I did not commit the crime."

Atty. Lee chuckled softly, which confused Sana. One thing she is certain of is that this is no laughing matter. But she is aware that she may simply be enraged now after hearing what has been alleged against her father. Sana has always disliked it when people constantly brought it up to her. That's because she's certain it's not true.

"Mr. Sachio," Atty. Lee spoke up, capturing the man's undivided attention. "I am hoping for your full cooperation," he added, "but I want you to know that if you try to fabricate the truth with lies, I won't be able to help."

"I never lie, Atty; trust me on that."