Chapter Twenty-Eight

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

Nayeon opted to stay inside her car for a few minutes following the phone call with Sana. She would then look for her mother to inform the woman that she would have to depart early. Nayeon, on the other hand, had no intention of seeing Nam-gil or Dae-won after the two had spoiled the night. And, while she regrets not seeing Mina again tonight, she could just send a message to notify the woman. While Dahyun, Nayeon didn't mind because she had always had this kind of relationship with her as a sibling. They don't need to talk at all, and it's most likely to their advantage not to do so.

But not a minute had gone when someone tapped on the window of Nayeon's car, notably on the driver's side of the seat. Nayeon lowered the window as a result.

"Mom," she murmured, surprised that the lady had found her spot. "I was about to go find you," she said sheepishly, clutching the back of her neck.

"Well, I found you first," the older lady replied, warmly smiling as she reached out to the side of her daughter's cheek. Yu-jun must have felt awful about the failed dinner, Nayeon surmised. "I'm sorry for their misbehavior—" she was abruptly cut short.

"It's not your fault, Mom," she explained. "You didn't want them to act that way either."

"Yeah, your fathers are... I don't see why they have to be like that all the time," Yu-jun said, only to be met with a chuckle and a nod from Nayeon. She completely understands how the woman felt after witnessing that. More than the fact that it was embarrassing, she felt Mina should not have heard such a silly conversation.

"I want to be offended, too, mom," Nayeon sighed. "But don't they remind you of someone, like when they fight and argue like children?" she asked, a small smile on her face. "They're like me and Dahyun," Nayeon remarked quietly, "we can never get along."

"That's not true," Yu-jun objected, shaking her head. "Well, it could be for the time being." "However, it's not too late for you, young girls, to find something you both appreciate."

"That's a pretty bad idea," Nayeon laughed and shook her head.

"Don't think like that," Yu-jun grumbled.

"If we had the same interests, we'd battle over who was better at it," Nayeon stated, which is absolutely correct, and Yu-jun cannot deny it. "Everything becomes a competition between us," she said, "just like our fathers."

"Nayeon-ah," Yu-jun could only say.

"Mom," Nayeon began, taking this as an opportunity to tell the woman about her need to go early. "Can I just leave now? There's just... there's someone I have to meet, and if I miss this, I might never have another chance."

"I hope it's not work-related, Nayeon," the woman squinted. "You should have fun once in a while."

"This isn't a team meeting, mom," Nayeon informed the elderly lady. "But it's an important one."

"It's a love interest, isn't it?"

"W...what? It isn't," Nayeon gasped. Her cheeks got a little red as she coughed lightly.

Yu-jun chuckled, thinking it amusing that even as an adult, Nayeon still acts this way when discussing romance. "Whoever that is, I hope they are incredible enough to try and make up for tonight's unsuccessful dinner," she remarked. "All I want is for you to have a happy birthday, even if it's in the last hours of the day," she added, sincerely smiling.

 

 

Sana waited for Nayeon patiently beside a fountain in the park. She could only watch the small droplets of water pouring outside the fountain because she had nothing else to do. She came closer, her curiosity sparked, and looked down its floor, only to find pennies.

"Do fountain wishes ever come true?" Sana wondered to herself. She soon realized that there was no harm in trying. Fortunately, she had two pennies in her back pocket, change from the meal she had eaten earlier that day.

According to legend, if you turn around, face away from the fountain, and toss your penny over your shoulder, your wish will come true. Sana did exactly that, praying for something specific.

For some reason, her eyelids remained closed even after she had made a wish. When she heard a voice asking, "What did you wish for?" she knew it was time to open them.

Sana quickly turned to the side from which she heard the voice. From a distance, standing still was Nayeon. She had both hands in her pockets, as usual, wearing a serious expression on her face as the wind blew through her short blonde hair.

"If I tell you, it won't come true," Sana replied, smiling slightly. "That's what they say."

"Have you ever had a wish granted by doing those?" Nayeon inquired as she approached the woman. When she felt they were close enough, she slowed to a halt, still facing Sana, and maintaining eye contact.

It made the other woman nervous for some reason. It happened every time she looked Nayeon in the eyes. She averted her gaze with a little cough. "Things like this are always a chance," she explained. "You're lucky if your wishes come true."

Nayeon then nodded and glanced at the fountain. She had never believed in such things. Even what they said about shooting stars was nonsense to her. If I had to describe her, I'd say she's a real downer.

Nayeon's gaze was drawn to Sana as the woman took a big inhale. Then she noticed the woman was quivering. "This girl," she said to herself, feeling obliged to remove her coat and hand it to Sana. It wasn't a big deal because she always wore a long-sleeved turtleneck.

"What kind of fool would come out at night wearing such flimsy clothes?" Nayeon questioned, handing out her coat to the other woman, who just stared. "Are you trying to become sick or what?" she asked, clicking her tongue.

"You don't have to offer me this if you don't want to," Sana puckered her lips, fully decided to just refuse.

Nayeon could only sigh, knowing how stubborn Sana is. "I wouldn't take this off if I didn't want to," she explained. "You know I'm not that kind of person," she said, spreading the coat across Sana's shoulders so the woman couldn't do anything.

"Look at you, acting like you truly care," Sana grumbled.

Nayeon didn't want to get into a fight, at least not tonight, so she didn't respond. Instead, she sat on the cement that surrounded the fountain. "How's your father's case going? Have you found an attorney yet?" she inquired, causing Sana to sigh. That was already an answer, so Nayeon didn't think she needed any more.

But Sana wanted to share more, which is also a wonderful thing. Nayeon had always wanted to hear Sana open up to her more following their long-awaited heart-to-heart conversation that day. "I still haven't found someone I can trust," Sana replied, shaking her head. "Everyone doesn't seem to believe my father."

"Hmm," Nayeon hummed, only to let Sana know she was paying attention.

"So, the case is still pending," Sana said, shrugging, then looking down at her feet. "Things will have to be delayed until I find someone whom I'm certain will help us," she said, once again directing her gaze to Nayeon, who was staring at her. "I don't want to wait any longer, Nayeon; I want him freed." "But it's not like I have a choice, right?"

"I understand," Nayeon replied, feeling burdened for Sana but unsure if she was feeling the right thing. She had misgivings for some reason, even though she had been thinking about how her heart felt for Sana recently.

"I'll stay here until then," Nayeon could only offer, hoping that it would make the woman feel better. "I've got your back, and I'll support you whenever you need it."

"Really?" Sana chuckled, as if she didn't believe her.

"Yeah, tell me again that I don't care deeply for you," Nayeon said, lightly smiling. She knew Sana would act this way, but that didn't stop her from assuring the woman that she would stay. "You can't push me away no matter what," she added. "We're both fated to be here."

"The only uncertain thing you believe in is fate, isn't it?" Sana asked, finding it unusual that, despite Nayeon's preference for facts, the woman believes in fate.

"It's strange," Nayeon said, bobbing her head, "but I want to believe."

"Where do you suppose fate will take us then, Ms. Lim?" Sana arched her brows, as if challenging Nayeon's belief. "Is it any good?" she inquired.

"Does it matter?" Nayeon inquired calmly, her hands clasped together. "I think what's important is that fate brought me here tonight with you," she explained. "That is enough reason for me to be thankful."

"Why are you acting this way, Nayeon?" Sana inquired, her heart feeling heavy for some reason. "It's because you're guilty," she presumed, sadly smiling. It was almost as though she wanted something different, but she couldn't accept it herself either.

"Will you ever completely forgive me, Sana?" Nayeon inquired. She finally mustered the strength to express what had been troubling her heart. "Our burned bridge..." she began, swallowing hard, "will it ever be repaired?" "I've been wondering," she said.

"We're already trying, Nayeon," Sana responded after a little pause. "Let's trust the fate you're referring to from here," she mumbled as she took a seat next to the woman. "And if we're friends again at the end of this, let's try not to mess it up all over."

"Of course," Nayeon replied with a bob of her head. "In any case, thanks for reaching out."

"I'll be honest, though," Sana stated, drawing Nayeon's attention to her. "I was thinking about not greeting you or anything," she remarked, lightly smiling at her childishness. "It's not like you were also anticipating it, right?" she inquired.

"Waiting for it?" Nayeon asked, raising her brows, and chuckling nervously before shaking her head. "Birthdays aren't a huge deal to me, so it doesn't really matter whether you forgot or whatever," she explained defensively. She was lucky that Sana didn't notice.

"I wanted to see you tonight because Momo mentioned something to me," Sana explained, disregarding the birthday-greetings conversation.

"And, frankly, I shouldn't be concerned about that, but here I am," Sana laughed, shaking her head in bewilderment. "Out here with my ex-girlfriend, I nearly wished to die," she joked.

"You kind of sugarcoated it right there," Nayeon added, laughing as well.

"Yeah," Sana agreed, "without the nearly."

"What did she tell you, though?"

"It's the same thing regarding your company," Sana responded. "She just kind of slipped into my heart, and the next thing I knew, I was checking in on you to make sure you were okay."

Hearing it, Nayeon couldn't help but smile. At the very least, she is convinced that Sana is merely claiming to despise her. But it doesn't mean it's the complete truth. Perhaps the woman even cared more about her than she realizes.

"So," Nayeon asked, "do you have any suggestions?" "What should I do about the problem at my company?"

"To be honest, I have nothing in mind," Sana said. "Like I told Momo, I don't know how to help even if I wanted to."

"It's okay," was all Nayeon could say. After all, she didn't expect the woman to give her anything useful. She was grateful tonight that Sana made time for her. She couldn't have asked for anything more. "I don't know what to do either," Nayeon admitted, sounding discouraged for the first time. "Should I just make a wish as well?"

"Why not?" Sana exclaimed, a little eagerly. "I've got another cent," she added.

"I don't want to do it, though," Nayeon said, causing Sana's lips to pucker in disappointment.

"Why not?"

"Come and look," Nayeon murmured, staring into the fountain. Nayeon proceeded to speak after Sana had made the request. "Do you see how many pennies there are?"

"A lot," Sana replied.

"Right." "That also means that a lot of people have already expressed their wishes," Nayeon explained gently, hoping Sana would understand. "How do we know these people's wishes have already been granted?"

"Where are you going with this?" Sana laughed, finding it hilarious that Nayeon was taking things so seriously.

"If I put my wish in there, I'm only adding to the wishing fountain entity's work," Nayeon remarked, making Sana laugh even more. "I have to admit, it's not fun to have a lot of work at hand."

"You are the only one who thinks like this," Sana could only remark.

"I'm just being mindful," Nayeon replied, gently smiling. "Perhaps some of the wishes in there are more valuable than mine, and the wishing spirit should prioritize those."

"Perhaps you really have changed."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, your heart," Sana pointed out, "maybe it's a really good heart now."

"Hadn't it always been like that?"

"I always believed you were being nice to maintain your image," Sana sneered, making Nayeon laugh. "Anyway, I'm not going to let this night pass without you keeping your wish as well," she quickly changed the subject.

Nayeon could only scratch her brow as Sana demonstrated her stubbornness once more. "I thought I explained why I don't want to do it very well," she said to herself quietly.

"Wait a minute," Sana remarked abruptly, turning away to pick something up from the ground nearby.

"What are you doing?" Nayeon inquired but received no response. Sana returned with various-sized rock pieces, which puzzled Nayeon. She waited for Sana to explain what these rocks were about, as much as she wanted to ask.

"You're right," Sana remarked. "Perhaps the wishing spirit in that fountain is busy enough." "However, the wishing spirit for rock stacking may not be."

Sana had outwitted Nayeon this time, leaving the woman speechless. She was now forced to obey. "Well, since you insist," was all she could say before picking up the largest rock. "This shouldn't take long," Nayeon thought to herself before beginning to stack them. She, on the other hand, kept failing.

"We have the entire night," Sana grinned. "I'll be waiting for you."

"Can you stop watching, missy?" Nayeon murmured, irritated by the rocks' unwillingness to cooperate. "I'm becoming distracted," she said quietly.