Chapter One

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

"You're looking like a mother when her daughter is finally getting married," Momo observed, breaking the almost too emotional ambiance between her and her best friend, Sana. Since grade school, these two have been like siblings, always there for each other. Perhaps this is a reasonable explanation for Sana's emotional demeanor. "It's fine if you move closer, you know," Momo said, drawing a laugh from her friend.

"Why are you talking so much?" Sana inquired, moving closer until the two of them were next to each other. "I just want to see you in that bridal gown one last time before I go out," she explained.

"You'll see me in this thing the entire wedding ceremony," Momo could only chuckle as Sana rolled her eyes, believing her buddy was being a spoilsport. "Have you seen Mina yet?"

"No," Sana replied, moving her head from side to side. "I'll go check on her after you," she said, holding out her hand, waiting for Momo to accept it, which the woman did. Sana softly squeezed it with a smile on her face, not intending to fade away. "You can still cancel," she joked.

Momo could only mutter, "Oh, come on."

"She's not the one for you," Sana said with a shrug.

"We both know you're simply saying that since two of your best friends actually decided to marry each other," Momo added, wiggling her brows somewhat. "And that only means you're the only single person left in our trio," she stated, making Sana purse her lips in dismay. "She's the best, Sana."

"Yes," Sana could not help but agree. She was present the entire time the two were attempting to get along. And I'll be the one to tell you, on Sana's behalf, Momo and Mina were like archrivals before they uncovered the way to each other's hearts. "She's the best, Momo; I'll be so upset if you choose someone else instead of her."

"I'd rather fall off a bridge than choose another over her," Momo reassured her buddy as she clutched her friend's hand tightly.

"I now have the entire large house to myself," Sana murmured, unsure what to do with so much space. Of course, Momo and Mina will be residing in a new home, given that they will be married today. It's a saddening situation for Sana. She was used to the three of them living under the same roof. "Perhaps I should start looking for my own place as well."

"Eh," Momo said, tilting her head and straining her eyes. "How about finding a steady job first before you dream about something more difficult to achieve?" she proposed, so Sana downturned her lips.

"You're right."

"I'm always right."

"Blah blah," Sana mocked, giggling later. She exhaled deeply before taking Momo's hand in both of hers. "Later, I'll be having two Hirai friends," she added, tears welling up in her eyes.

"I can't believe I got a better reaction to this marriage from you than from my mother, Sana," Momo remarked, finding it amusing because Sana was actually expressing her emotions.

"Would you mind allowing me to be sentimental for a short while without objecting or anything?"

 

 

Sana had just left the room where Mina was after seeing Momo. She couldn't have an emotional moment with the woman because there were several others in the room, most of whom she didn't know well. So, after a brief congrats message exchange, Sana decided to leave and seek out her other friends, who were already sitting inside the cathedral.

A recognizable figure approached her on her way to them. "Hi," the woman said, so Sana at once smiled. She wasn't expecting to be greeted because she wasn't particularly close to this individual. They've only met once, and Sana only met her for a specific reason.

"Good day, Ms. Kim."

"Ah," the pale woman replied, coming to a halt precisely in front of Sana. "It should only be Dahyun," she said, searching the area as if looking for someone. "I'm not your employer, so," Dahyun shrugged. "You should address me by my given name."

"Still," Sana scratched the top of her head, possibly out of shyness. "I knew you were a lawyer from a friend," she explained. "How about I stop saying Ms. Kim and start saying Atty. Kim?"

"If you do that, you'll be the only non-client person who sees me as a lawyer; others can't believe I'm such," Dahyun replied, one side of her lips curled into a smirk. She folded her arms above her chest, examining Sana's face as if deciding whether she would let this woman call her in a way that no one else does. "Honestly, I'd prefer if you just called me Dahyun," she said.

"Okay, Atty. Kim," Sana urged, a beautiful smile on her face. "I'll try to figure out why others don't think of you as one," she remarked, piqued Dahyun's attention. "A leather jacket over a black shirt," Sana observed the woman from head to toe, "and those boots." "I suppose not typical lawyer attire."

"You did speak just like my father," Dahyun chuckled before straightening up to fix her jacket. "He hates it when I wear this to meetings."

"And you still do it?"

"Yes."

"You must enjoy irritating him," Sana surmised.

"Well, I prefer a distinct style among my colleagues," Dahyun answered, her gaze darting about. "Like today," she explained, "everyone else is dressed up in blazers and dresses, all the affluent stuff."

"This is a wedding," Sana reminded the other, making him giggle. "And you just showed up to this kind of gathering dressed like a punk," she added.

"I also go to the courtroom like this."

"Oh," muttered Sana. "Isn't there something like a dress code for that?"

"A dress shirt and tie underneath keep it relatively formal."

Sana could only respond, "You really found your way with that, huh?" She giggled, "It suits you very well, Atty. Kim."

"Right?" Dahyun nodded, looking down at her outfit. "I basically carry the vibe."

"The gangster-looking vibe?" Sana said, eliciting a grin from the other. After that, Dahyun didn't say anything, so Sana was compelled to mention, "I'll go look for my friends."

"Yeah, sure," the other woman said, "I'll see you around if I can."

 

 

 

Two girls are seated on a church pew, almost whispering as they watch everyone inside. Mina's cousins, aunts, uncles, and other families were dressed noticeably well, which irked these two. They can't truly pass judgment on these people.

Mina came from a wealthy family, whilst Momo came from a middle-class household. This is one of the reasons her parents are skeptical of the Myouis. But I think they are right to be concerned that Momo might be mistreated not by the family but by the clan.

Mina's parents and brother are completely supportive of everything Mina chooses to pursue, while the other Myouis are quite the opposite. They don't think it's a good idea for Mina to marry someone who isn't as prosperous as they are. The more heinous aspect of these people is that they are vociferous about their attitudes, which Mina finds inappropriate at all times. It's a good thing Momo is persistent and doesn't mind what other people think of her.

"I believe they all have their own stylists," Miyeon, one of Sana and Momo's friends, said quietly. "But how come most of them are still dressed badly?" she inquired of the other, who merely laughed. "Please don't tell me I'm lying."

"You are not," Eunha said, sighing. "Perhaps expensive clothing doesn't matter if they're matched with pretty crappy looks," she speculated. "Mina and her family are the only attractive Myouis."

"I agree," Miyeon said, sneering as she looked around at all these pretentious people. "The rest are... meh."

 

 

"Wow," a voice interrupted their slightly snide remarks. The two turned their heads in the direction of the sound. Sana was seen holding her smile back while shaking her head. "Is this what you're doing at your best friend's wedding? Judging people?" she asked, quietly chuckling before taking a seat in the middle of the two.

"Aren't they the ones who initially judged Momo?" Miyeon snarled, her lips puckered in annoyance. "And, hey, don't act clean! You say things about them as well."

"Yeah, but not right now," Sana responded. "I don't want to look at them." "They might think I'm picking a fight or something; you know how scandalous they can be. They're in the papers for their sick attitude."

"I just hope they don't treat Momo like trash once this is all done," Eunha said quietly, a worried frown on her face.

"Mina would never let that happen."

"You know," Miyeon held Sana's hand, drawing her attention. "I believe you because you know Mina better than me and Eunha."

Sana smiled and nodded, confidently saying, "Yes. She's a great person, much nicer to Momo." "Don't be too concerned," she uttered. "Besides, our friend is a bonfire, and she won't let anyone step on her."

"She has an iron fist," Eunha ascertained.

 

"Oh," Sana murmured, her gaze darting elsewhere, raising the eyebrows of her two friends. "That person," Sana murmured, her eyes pulled towards the newcomer.

"Who?" Miyeon finally asked before turning her head to see who Sana was referring to. "Which one are you... Oh, you mean the one in the turtleneck and blazer?" she inquired.

"Ms. Lim?" Eunha questioned, drawing Sana's focus to her. "What? What's wrong?" she asked, raising her brows.

"Why are you addressing her as Miss?"

"Why not?"

"Uh-huh. Why not?" Miyeon chimed in, her gaze fixed on Sana's incensed expression. She's curious about the connection between her friend and this rich and influential wedding guest.

"She's not your boss or anything," Sana rolled her eyes, clearly annoyed by the abrupt entrance of this other individual. "Why is she even here?"

"What do you mean why?" Miyeon said, still perplexed by the circumstance. "Ms. Lim is the main sponsor for this wedding," she added, eliciting a clearly phony laugh from Sana. "And Momo works for her; they're quite close, so she's obviously invited."

"What?!" Sana exclaimed, her voice rising, drawing the attention of many others. As a result, she smiled shyly and made a peace sign as she looked around the crowd. "What?" she asked quietly again. "Momo is working for her?"

"Yes!" Miyeon replied, bewildered by Sana's reaction to the situation. "How come you weren't aware of it? Haven't you been living under the same roof for years?" she inquired. "She works as an exhibit designer at the Lim Museum of Arts, and..."

"Sculptures," Eunha explained to her.

"I was about to say statues," Miyeon smiled, the edge of her brow.

"All I know is that she's an exhibit designer..."

"You are one bad roommate," Eunha could only say, and Miyeon agreed. "Momo would be disappointed."

"Hold on," Sana said, raising her index finger, trying to take it all in. "Does that imply... the one Momo said was humble and nice is Nayeon?" she wondered; her teeth gritted.

"Shh, why are you just calling her Nayeon? What if people hear you and think you're being disrespectful?" chastised Miyeon.

Sana scoffed and shook her head, stunned. "What is she now?" she hissed. "A princess? A queen? Why can't Lim Nayeon be addressed by her first name?"

"What's going on with you, really?" Miyeon pondered to herself, taken aback by the other's actions. She expected Sana to be the calmest today because she didn't want anything to disrupt the ambiance for today's celebration.

"She does appear humble and nice," Eunha added, her gaze fixed on Nayeon, who was shaking hands with the other visitors, whether she knew them or not.

"Hell, no," Sana said emphatically. "Just no," she said again.

"Why?" Miyeon and Eunha both inquired.

"Why don't you ask her because you think she's nice?" Sana answered, crossing her arms over her chest, and pouting her lips.

"She's gone insane," Eunha said to Miyeon, leading the latter to quietly chuckle. "You shouldn't be that down in the dumps, Sana," she added. "In fact, since you're Momo's bridesmaid, you should be ready by now. Practice a smile or something. A rumpled visage wouldn't look good in a photo."