Chapter Two

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

While tightening the button on the end of her blazer's sleeve, Nayeon stood alone among the rest of the crowd. She intended to go over and check on Momo, but the event was about to begin, so she decided to look for a seat instead. Everyone knows that Nayeon is a lone wolf; despite having many connections, she has no one she considers a friend. So, she'd most certainly be sitting next to random guests throughout the wedding ceremony.

"Oh, Ms. Lim has arrived!"

That voice echoed in Nayeon's ears. She didn't have to glance to see who her most despised person in the world was. "You came, too," Nayeon murmured, laying her hand down and raising her chin. She smiled a little and said, "The very well admired and respected Kim," politely but sarcastically.

"Looking pricey, hmm?" hummed Dahyun, sliding both hands inside her fitted pants pockets. "You also haven't cut your hair in a long time; it's past your shoulders."

"Too busy to do anything for me," Nayeon responded, tensing her jaw, and trying not to show emotion. "And you," she laughed, looking Dahyun over from head to toe, "you must have mistaken a wedding for a street race."

Dahyun faked a chuckle and shook her head slightly. "Get married, and I'll have the tailor make me a nice suit," she joked. Dahyun understands how uninterested Nayeon is in relationships and pressuring her to settle for one is vexing. "You're getting older, so why don't you start dating?"

"I'm only two years older than you," Nayeon replied, keeping a slight smirk as their gazes interlocked. "Shouldn't you be more concerned with finding yours than pressuring me to get mine?" she inquired.

"Who said I wasn't in a relationship?"

"Are you?"

"Yes," Dahyun replied confidently.

"Then I'll email father and ask him to arrange a family dinner for us and the lucky one our Dahyun is dating," Nayeon acknowledged, more certain Dahyun was bluffing. "What do you think?"

Dahyun could only chuckle before responding, "Okay then." She seemed to be at a loss for words, so she bobbed her head and reiterated, "I'll ask her when she'll be free."

 

 

The wedding went off without a hitch. It ran perfectly, though Miyeon and Eunha were concerned because Sana had been in a bad mood prior to the occasion. And while this was going on, they noticed how Nayeon and Sana exchanged glances as if something had truly happened in the past between them. But the only certainty these two girls had was that having Sana and Nayeon around each other was not a good idea. It smells strongly of trouble.

The good news is that nothing significant happened during the ceremony, which could indicate that it was just not the perfect moment for something to occur. There will still be a reception, where guests and visitors will have more opportunities to engage than at the wedding.

A voice from behind Sana, Miyeon, and Eunha said, "Ms. Lim looks like she smells really good, doesn't she?" As a result, Miyeon and Eunha pursed their lips and merely watched their other friend's reaction. Sana would look alarmed, as they predicted.

Sana muttered, her lips puckering and her fist clutching at her glass of wine, "Of course, she's privileged. She's probably bathing in perfume or something."

"Why are you so bitter about Ms. Lim Nayeon? What's with her?" Miyeon felt compelled to investigate, despite Sana's best efforts to avoid it. It's simply that she couldn't sit around all day obsessing about what had occurred in the past, especially because her friend doesn't, for real, resent many people like this. "Do you know her? Has she ever done anything to you?"

"What makes you think I'd dislike her if she did nothing?" Sana grumbled, tired of the endless questions, but she couldn't say she was complaining. It's her fault that she couldn't tell everyone everything. She argues in her mind that it's too personal. "All I can definitively prove is that she isn't the nice person Momo is referring to. What she is showing is most likely a fabricated persona to preserve her image; Nayeon is the devil in disguise."

"It appears like you two," Eunha added, sipping from her glass before continuing, "had a thing from the way you're saying these things."

Miyeon giggled and agreed before stating, "That was one of the theories brewing within my mind as well." She shook her head, perhaps unwilling to entertain that particular thought, although it makes sense. "Because, girl," she muttered to Sana, "that's how I describe my ex-girlfriend: she's the great deceiver, a complete jerk, and I wish she'd quickly drop dead."

"True," Eunha agreed, bobbing her head up and down as she awaited Sana's rebuttal. "We know you didn't say you wanted Ms. Lim to die, but you looked at her during the wedding ceremony like you were planning her burial."

Sana said, "Now that you've mentioned it, I might as well plan that." "But what are you talking about?" she scoffed. "Me and Nayeon? Exes?" "No way. She's not my ex, and she'll never be anything more than someone I despise with all my soul and conscience."

Miyeon laughed and nodded as if she agreed with everything. "Did you know that ninety-nine percent of the movies where the protagonist says that to someone they despise, they actually end up with them?" she questioned, shrugging her shoulders, and intending to anger Sana even more. It was certainly effective.

"Do you even know what you're saying?" Sana raised her eyebrows.

"Well, I apologize for spoiling your life," Miyeon remarked. "However, if you and Ms. Lim does eventually end up together, I'll be the first to laugh in your face."

Sana emphatically replied, "Don't worry, Miyeon, it will never happen." She continued after a brief pause, "Never in a million years, not a single chance."

"Well," Eunha interjected before her friends got into an argument over something like this during a huge event. She chose neutrality to save things from getting worse. "It's not like Sana and Ms. Lim's lives are on the same plane for them to cross paths... again," she shrugged, "you know... if they truly met before."

"And at all costs, I will avoid crossing paths with her," Sana said, casting a peek at Nayeon, who was seated alone at a different table, engrossed on her phone. "I'm not going to let her step on me like that again," she continued firmly.

Miyeon could only say, "That sounded like a very serious thing," as she followed Sana's gaze. "I'm sorry to say this," she giggled, "but Ms. Lim does appear to smell great."

Eunha murmured, "I agree."

"Then why don't you just sit with her, huh?" Sana cynically suggested, to the delight of her two friends. "Perhaps the lone wolf requires some love and care?" she speculated, rolling her eyes, "she's a pitiful sight."

 

 

Dahyun sat a bit further away from Nayeon's table, carefully eyeing the woman. She had several people seated next to her, and to avoid disrespect, she would occasionally exchange pleasantries with them. But she never took that much time away from watching Nayeon, who was still on her phone, possibly playing a game.

"If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Kim is one of the highly anticipated guests, isn't he?" Gahyeon, one of Dahyun's closest friends, attempted to clarify. "Is he on the list?" she inquired, dubious.

"Yes, he is on the list," Dahyun responded, looking away from Nayeon for a moment to speak with Gahyeon. "Mina's father and my father are very close; they're not really friends, but my family invested in a business run by the Myouis, so they're in touch," she revealed.

"He couldn't come?" Gahyeon inquired, tentatively.

"You know him, Gahyeon," Dahyun replied, smiling momentarily before looking down. She was attempting to conceal the darkness in her eyes. "He always gives a hundred and ten percent to his job at hand."

"Well, he owns a law firm, so it must be difficult."

"Of course," Dahyun murmured, eventually looking over Gahyeon's shoulder. "And he's not the type to rest; if he finished early, he'd be seeking for something new to do." "He's the type of person who burns the candle at both ends," she continued, before looking for Nayeon on the same table where the woman was last seen.

"You must wish to be like him," Gahyeon murmured, noticing Dahyun looking about the crowd for something or someone. But she couldn't ask. It's simply none of her business.

"Sometimes," Dahyun said, her gaze wandering when she noticed Nayeon was missing. "But I'm very sure I want to be my own." She subsequently muttered, "There you are..." after catching a glimpse of Nayeon.

Gahyeon was following Dahyun's gaze until she comprehended, "Ah, you were looking for your sister."

"Hmm?" Dahyun hummed, obviously not paying attention to her actions. She had no idea she was still being obvious. "I'm just worried because she's not good with people."

"Mhmm," Gahyeon nodded, "she's not known as the lone wolf for nothing." She asked, "Did you travel here together?"

"I didn't even know that she would show up."

"It's impossible that she'd overlook this," Gahyeon remarked. "It's Mina's wedding, and I know the two of you won't let this moment pass you by."

"That makes perfect sense," Dahyun said with a chuckle. "If someone were very dear to Nayeon, it would be—" she was cut off by what she saw from a distance. "Oh, my..." was all she could say about it.

Gahyeon's mouth dropped when she saw it. Not only were the two of them astonished, but several other visitors made a loud gasp, followed by whispering. All of this was due to Sana colliding with Nayeon and spilling her entire glass of wine on her exquisite turtleneck and blazer suit. The most disquieting aspect of this occurrence is that it did not appear to be an accident. It was evidently done on purpose.

Dahyun chortled, shaking her head in astonishment before catching her temple with her palm. She could only say, "This Minatozaki Sana is definitely something..."

"Who?" Gahyeon said, her gaze fixed on that single point in time. "The girl who spilled her wine over Nayeon's clothes?"

Dahyun excused Sana without a second thought, saying, "It was an accident."

"It didn't look like an accident."

"It is," Dahyun stated emphatically. "Who would do such to the renowned Lim Nayeon?" she wondered. "Well, in any case, she deserved it."

"You're unbelievable," Gahyeon laughed a bit.

"I said what I said," Dahyun chose to look away, focusing instead on finishing her glass. "Nayeon isn't perfect," she said, "and she can be an at times." "So, somewhere in this universe, someone is certain to be infuriated by her presence."

"And that someone is you," Gahyeon stated frankly. She didn't have to mask her thoughts because Dahyun, herself, admits that she despises Nayeon. In fact, this young lady is pretty vocal about it. "And perhaps that woman is the second person who disapproves your sister," she continued. "Look at her mockingly smiling at Nayeon like this is not something she should be worried about."

"That's because she knows Nayeon won't harm her because of it," Dahyun replied, not bothering to look at it once more.

"How can you say that?"

"I told you... Minatozaki Sana is definitely something... someone special."