Chapter Three

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

Nayeon stood there with her teeth gritted and her hands in the air. She didn't know what to think because she hadn't expected something like this to happen. But she hasn't ruled out the possibility that Sana will approach her unexpectedly. Apparently, she just didn't realize this was the kind of approach the woman would take.

"Oops," Sana said, putting her palm over her lips and clearly trying to be startled. Sana grinned and raised two eyebrows as Nayeon gazed at her with piercing eyes. "What should I do?" she posed provocatively.

While glancing at Sana's caustic attitude, Nayeon nodded her head, feigning a smile. She couldn't even move since she didn't want the fluid to trickle any further on the floor. "Does anyone have a paper towel?" she said gently, her gaze fixed on Sana's face. "Could you please get me some?"

"Oh my," one of the visitors said as she approached the two. "Why are you not looking where you're going? You just spilt wine on some expensive—"

"It's okay, madame. I just need a paper towel now," Nayeon said, looking at her wet clothes, and then taking a deep breath before tilting her head in disbelief. "This shouldn't be a big deal," she murmured, just loud enough for those nearby to hear.

"Wow," Sana exclaimed, shaking her head in amazement. "Just like everyone says," she continued, "you are such a sweet person." And Nayeon could see the woman was attempting to elicit an attitude out of her. Unfortunately, she is too astute to fall for it. "With such an attitude, you must have stolen a lot of hearts."

Nayeon smiled slightly but did not respond directly. "Was I able to capture yours?" she asked, eliciting further silent gasps from the visitors. These two most likely stole the spotlight from the married couple now. I'm guessing it's a good thing the pair took a break and are now in a separate room.

Sana scoffed, softly shaking her head. Nayeon could tell by the look in Sana's eyes that she was the one who had succeeded in annoying the woman. And that is obviously not Sana's motivating force for pouring a glass of wine on Nayeon's clothes. "I'll try to collect some paper towels," the young lady could only say, looking for ways to avoid people's gaze and how Nayeon is deliberately humiliating her.

"We got some from the tables," a group of older individuals approached Nayeon, whose gaze was riveted on Sana's exposed back, shown by the dress she was wearing. "Let me wipe it for you, you poor child," an elderly woman remarked as she dried the wet bits of Nayeon's garments with pieces of paper towel.

"Thank you," Nayeon murmured fervently after finally averting her gaze. She looked down at herself and said quietly, "I'll do it," before wiping it herself.

 

Sana's gaze was fixed on the path she was following, while her two companions tried their hardest to keep up with her unusually quick pace. "Why did you do it?" Eunha said, and this was the eleventh time she had attempted to ask Sana the same thing. It's just that the woman was doing everything she could to avoid addressing it. "A lot of people saw it, and even if you're my friend, someone who's meant to be on your side..." she paused for a while to recover her breath, "I witnessed what happened. It was purposeful, not an accident. I'm certain of it."

"Same idea," Miyeon said with a bob of her head. "If it was an accident, you would have spilled just a tiny bit of what was in the glass," she explained. "It was as if you just wanted to pour it on her."

"Can you please quiet down?" Sana said, tired of the comments, and instead started to worry about how Nayeon had chosen to respond to her earlier. She felt this would be an effective way to get back at Nayeon, but it didn't work. Sana had become the one who was offended. "I'm going home; I told my aunt I wouldn't be out late," she said, walking even faster, compelling the other two to stop in their tracks.

"Should we tell Momo about what occurred today?" Miyeon questioned, forcing Sana to come to a halt a bit further away. "She would definitely know about it, because a lot of people saw what happened."

Sana swung around to face them, holding her breath as she considered the appropriate response. "Tell her it was a mistake," she said. "Girls, you don't want her worrying about me when she's supposed to be focusing on her new chapter in life, right?" she questioned meekly.

"Plus, whether you like it or not, you two are on my side because what I did to Nayeon was something she deserved, and I may not tell you why anytime soon, but trust me, she deserves more than a splash of red wine."

"Do you ever notice you're such a crazy friend?"

"It's not like you didn't love me this way even before," Sana shrugged, then turned away, leaving her friends speechless.

 

Sana walked to the parking lot with her head down. She pondered whether she should have done things differently. And by that, she means not to approach Nayeon and connect with her again.

Because now that everything was over, Sana felt as if she had walked down a rabbit hole, one that would bring her deeper into Nayeon's life. She's certain that this woman will not let her off the hook after today. "Agh! Why did you do that, really?" Sana thought to herself as she continued walking, thumping her foot on the ground. "I don't even know why," she the back of her neck, annoyed by her impetuous behavior. "I should've known better; she's not worth my time or attention."

Oh, the world must be having fun with Sana. She had to come to a standstill after discovering that the woman she claimed to despise was standing in front of her (uncle's) van. "Why are you everywhere I go now?" murmured Sana, gritting her teeth and clearly irritated by the sight of Nayeon yet again. The latter was on the phone with someone, so she didn't notice a figure approaching her. And it's not like Sana would say anything to her. She walked right by Nayeon and into the driver's seat.

But before she could even reach for the hinge, Nayeon cleared . She appears to have ended the call the moment she noticed Sana walking in front of her.

"Won't you properly greet me, missy?" she inquired, lifting both brows as she placed the device in her pocket. Nayeon crossed her arms as she stood upright, waiting for a response. "It's been a long time; aren't you glad we ran into one other again?" She felt compelled to speak up because Sana merely stared at her with those incomprehensible eyes.

"Pardon?"

"Oh, is that how I was expected to act as well? I wasn't aware that we were supposed to act like strangers in public."

Sana feigned a laugh, furrowing her brows, before confronting Nayeon squarely in the face. She neared the woman until their bodies were only a few inches apart. Sana appeared to be striving to demonstrate to the other that she is not avoiding anything, and that the past no longer affects her in any way. "Strangers in public?" she inquired, her stare piercing the other's unquestionably attractive pair of eyes. "I'm sorry, but I don't remember you," Sana said, shaking her head slightly. "Are you somebody I used to know?" she questioned.

"I see, you hate me that much," Nayeon said quietly, not taking a step back, as if the short distance didn't bother her at all.

"Or I'm simply not good at remembering irrelevant people in my life," Sana replied.

"Irrelevant?"

"As I stated."

Nayeon laughed, obviously not believing it. Sana's brow furrowed as a result. Even without words, such an expression was equivalent to asking what was funny. "I just didn't expect you'd refer to me as someone who is irrelevant," Nayeon said, her lips stretching into a tight-lipped smile.

"Would you like to add anything else?" Sana prodded.

"You can't dismiss your first love, missy," Nayeon replied. "I wouldn't be your ex-lover if you didn't like me."

"That's a lie," Sana replied confidently. "Because I became yours even when you didn't like me."

"What are you talking about?"

"The truth?"

"I cared about you, Sana."

"You just cared until you got what you wanted," Sana murmured, her eyes filled with grief as if it were yesterday. Even the timbre of her voice suggested a recent heartbreak, though it was actually overdue. "And then you just walked away."

After hearing these comments from Sana, Nayeon was at a loss for words. This is because she had previously escaped, and the woman did not have the opportunity to tell all of this to her face. So, Nayeon remained silent this time, convinced deep within that she deserved all she was hearing from the other.

"The worst part about what you did was that you tried to compensate me for breaking my heart," Sana remarked. "Perhaps not literally, but it's the same thing."

"You're talking about your father's lawsuit," Nayeon said flatly, without receiving a word or even a nod. But she interpreted Sana's silence for a yes. "I tried to help you and your father before I walked out of your life, Sana; helping and compensating are two different things."

"And what's your reason behind that?" Sana inquired. "You gave help because you pitied me." "You thought I wouldn't be as angry if you did something like that and let me be the one to tell you straight, and I despised you even more for thinking you could get away with making a fool of me by playing like the nice guy to him," she said bluntly.

Her eyes welled up with tears as a result of the rage and pain she was experiencing deep within her heart. "Even today, Nayeon, all you care about is your reputation, your nice image, and that's the truth." And since Nayeon couldn't defend herself, Sana had no choice but to back away. She hurriedly walked right to the driver's side door, this time successfully opening it.

"Minatozaki Sana," Nayeon said faintly, but surely enough. "Are you really upset because I left your side, or because your father lost the case even with my help?"

Sana was silent this time around. She wasn't prepared for such a comeback. "Be honest with me," Nayeon spoke again, "would you be as angry with me if my father won the case and proved your father was not guilty of any of the atrocities he was pulled into?"

"Why are you acting as though this bothers you now?" Sana asked, attempting to sidestep the question. "Even if I blamed you for doing things you shouldn't have done in the first place, it wouldn't matter to you." "Because you'll get over just like all of you privileged people do." She took a short break, wishing to calm herself even for a moment. "That's just how your lives are; you care in the slightest about those you believe are in need of support to make yourself look good, not because you actually want to."

"It's not my fault that my father withdrew the case."

"And it's not my fault that I will forever despise you and your rest of the family for it," Sana replied.

"Sana," Nayeon said calmly, "the truth will set him free at the perfect moment."

"Yes," Sana replied, "but I learned something." "I learned that the truth will never come from someone like you," she said, without waiting for Nayeon's response. She hurried inside the car, slamming the door, and starting the engine without delay. When Nayeon remained motionless in front of the vehicle, she honked several times until the woman was forced to move. Sana eventually drove away without looking back.