Chapter Thirty-Five

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

When the doorbell rang, Nayeon was still in bed, not wanting to be bothered. She sighed as she realized she needed to respond. Nayeon finally stood up after a few more rings and at least half a minute of lying around. She walked slowly up to the door and opened it without giving it a second thought. And the person in front of her was completely unexpected.

"Hello," the woman who stopped by remarked warily before lifting two cups of coffee from a holder to the side of her face. "I've brought you something to drink," she said. "I hope you haven't already had your coffee."

"Fortunately, no," Nayeon said, standing aside to let the other through.

"What a pleasant surprise to find Myoui Mina at my door," she had to say.

Mina turned around and saw Nayeon with a tight-lipped smirk. "Yeah?" she asked, "as you never expect someone to come." "Like... ever," Mina laughed.

"Perhaps you're right," Nayeon agreed, folding her arms above her chest and leaning against a wall. "I've never invited anyone," she admitted. "So, I'm assuming you're here for a reason."

"May I sit?" Mina asked, motioning to the closest armchair. Oh right, Nayeon is territorial in some ways. All of her belongings must be asked for before being taken or used.

"Whatever you want," Nayeon said, just nodding.

"I do have a reason for being here," Mina began as she sat down. "My wife kept bugging me, calling practically every minute to say you're still not at work," she explained. "She's worried since you skipped work without any notice."

Hearing that, Nayeon could only laugh softly. She shook her head, as if she didn't believe it. "Momo and worried," she explained, "two things that just don't go together." Mina laughed, understanding what Nayeon meant. "You know your beloved is the inquisitive type, right?" she questioned, only for Mina to sigh and murmur in agreement. "She wasn't worried," Nayeon revealed, "but she is interested in what I do when I'm not working."

"You're right," was all Mina could say. "I should've called it that... my wife was being nosy," she chuckled.

"Well, surprise," Nayeon remarked, opening her arms slightly to demonstrate what she was doing to Mina. "Nothing extraordinary," Nayeon laughed, her forehead. "I could be normal, too," she admitted, "just sitting about — resting."

"Wow," Mina teased, having an astonished expression. "Nayeon and resting," she grinned, "two things that just don't go together."

Nayeon rolled her eyes, but she couldn't help but laugh. "You got me," she mumbled.

"Something's amiss with you, Nayeon," Mina stated flatly, leaving the other woman to look and wait for what came next. "It is unlikely of you to be this bothered," she added, gazing around the apartment. "It's almost as if you're all over the place," Mina continued, almost as if referring to how unorganized things seemed to be. "You even have those filthy rocks on your desk," Mina almost muttered before scratching one brow.

"Well," Nayeon remarked before settling into the other armchair, "I do believe something is amiss with me; it's just that I don't know what it is."

"Or maybe you just refuse to realize it?" Mina mused. "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

"I know," Nayeon said immediately, nodding her head in agreement. "You're my best friend," she asserted.

"I can wait until you're ready," Mina had to offer, just so the other woman didn't feel rushed.

"I haven't started anything yet," Nayeon stated calmly. "The deadline for the contest is approaching, and I have nothing," she stated quietly, shrugging before bitterly smiling. "I'm not sure if I'm losing interest or just feeling upset because I worked so hard on that design only for it to be stolen," she muttered under her breath.

"I'm sorry," Mina could only express her sympathies for Nayeon's situation. "It must be terribly difficult," she said gently. Thinking that wasn't enough to make Nayeon feel better, Mina added, "Can I assist you with anything?" "I know I'm not any good at art. It's never been my forte," Mina chuckled, feeling a little embarrassed because Nayeon was well aware of this. "But maybe I could try," she said, raising her brows and shrugging her shoulders.

"Hmm," Nayeon hummed as she leaned back in her seat to think of something. Mina remained silent, expecting at the very least an answer from Nayeon. "I might need help," the woman finally said. "No, I think I really do," she added.

Three weeks had gone, and things were definitely going well for Nayeon. For some reason, she had the impression that everything would as well be in order for the next days. She'd never felt anything like this before; it was as if someone had lifted her burden away.

"Hey, boss," Momo remarked, matching Nayeon's pace as they strolled across the workstation hallway. "Did you change your perfume?" she inquired, causing Nayeon's brows to scrunch.

"Why do you care?" Nayeon inquired gravely.

"I see," Momo replied, taking the retort to her question as an answer. "The new scent fits you," she remarked, "it gives me warm, spicy, tobacco, and whiskey sensations." "You smell expensive," she continued, hardly minding if Nayeon paid her any attention.

"Can I have a peaceful day today, Momo?" Nayeon requested respectfully but cynically.

"Not possible, boss, sorry," Momo answered, as if intending to annoy Nayeon. The latter woman was aware of it as well, so she maintained her cool. "There is an important event tomorrow night," Momo began, figuring that she needed to relay the information first before Nayeon ordered her to leave for real.

"Important?" Nayeon asked again.

"Yes."

"Then how come you're just telling me now?"

"It's not my fault I wasn't able to catch you," Momo grumbled. "If you don't leave the workplace early, you're talking to an important guest or someone on the phone," she explained. "I couldn't get the timing perfectly."

"Very well," was all Nayeon could say. "What kind of event is that? Is it a formal one?"

"Yes, boss," Momo responded, "It's some sort of a masquerade party."

"Mas... masquerade?" Nayeon paused her walk to glance at Momo. "Is that a prom or something? That theme is awful," she commented.

"I agree," Momo said with a shrug and a chuckle. "And it says there that you are required to bring a partner, like... a date," she explained.

"What?" Nayeon couldn't believe what she was hearing, which explains why her eyebrows were furrowed. "Are you playing with me?" she asked.

"No, I'm not," Momo said as she hurriedly showed Nayeon the email. "See, that wasn't made up," she continued.

"I won't go, Momo."

"You have no choice, boss."

"I don't want to go to an event like that," Nayeon stated firmly. "Masquerade... and bring a date, that's ridiculous," she shook her head, certain she wouldn't go.

"I know, it's ridiculous," Momo said, completely grasping what the other woman was saying. "But, like I said, this is an important event," she proceeded in order to persuade Nayeon. "It's... it's like a pre... pre-event to the awards ceremony."

"Pre-event?" Nayeon asked, raising both eyebrows. "I don't think that's what it's called, Momo," she said.

"I don't care what it's called," groaned Momo. "I care that you attend, boss!"

"I don't even have a date to bring!"

"But someone has already volunteered!"

"Ah," murmured Nayeon, "and who is that?"

"Uh... Coleen?" Momo faltered.

Nayeon paused for a little while, staring at Momo's face without making a reaction. "No way," she replied. "No... way."

 

Sana had just left her house and was on her way to the office to meet Dahyun when she was stopped by a familiar person. A woman leaning on the hood of a high-end sedan. Even if it was just the sedan, Sana would still recognize it and come to a stop. She was that familiar with it.

"Hello," the woman said before standing up properly, her arms still crossed. "I'll give you a ride," she said, "where are you going, though?"

"Please move out of my way, Nayeon," Sana asked of the other coldly. She moved quickly to pass the sedan, but knowing Nayeon, she wasn't going to back down.

"Missy," Nayeon said loudly, but Sana didn't even look at her, so she grabbed the woman by the wrist. "I'm sorry for being petty last time," she added humbly.

"It's great that you finally know how to apologize," Sana replied, amazed. "But still," she said, pulling herself free from Nayeon's grasp. "I don't have time for your antics; I'm busy, and I'm not going to be late because of you."

As soon as Sana finished speaking, she swiftly turned away, speeding her pace so Nayeon couldn't catch up. When she got far enough, she heard the woman yell.

"I need you tomorrow night!"

Nayeon didn't always tell Sana that she needed her. Perhaps it was why Sana matched her gaze, as though she wanted to listen.

"I need a date, Sana," moaned Nayeon, her shoulders slumped.

"Well, that's not going to be me," Sana responded.

"It has to be you! I don't want to go with someone I'm not comfortable with," Nayeon insisted, her voice straining as she expected Sana would agree with her.

"And it's the same for me," Sana said casually. "I'm not comfortable with you, which is why I wouldn't be there." "Never going to happen, Nayeon."

"You know what?" Nayeon felt annoyed quickly. So, with her eyebrows furrowed, she shouted, "Fine!"

"Good!" Sana exclaimed, rolling her eyes and turning away once more.

"I guess I'll simply have to go with Coleen," Nayeon stated naturally, not expecting Sana to hear. However, the woman certainly did.

"What did you say?" Sana said, swiftly turning to face Nayeon for the nth time now. She gritted her teeth, getting ready for what she would be hearing.

"I said I'd go with Coleen," Nayeon replied, shrugging, "I don't have a choice."

"Really?" mocked Sana, shaking her head in astonishment before deciding to leave for real. There was no denying that she was truly upset. For some reason, she assumed Nayeon purposefully made her hear it, which she found absurd.

Nayeon, on the other hand, was certain that Sana would no longer look back. That was the indication for her to go as well. However, after a few steps, she heard a voice that she recognized as Sana's.

"Send me the specifics of tomorrow night, you sh*thole!"

It shouldn't be something that would cause someone to someone, but it did that perfectly for Nayeon. "Still a jealous babe," Nayeon thought to herself, shaking her head.