Chapter Twenty-Five

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

Nayeon has just entered her company's building. When the employees spotted the woman, they instantly lowered their heads. Nayeon continued walking, not responding because she was used to this particular scenario.

Today is tranquil and relaxing for her, but that is about to change.

"Good morning, Ms. Lim," a familiar greeting. She didn't even have to look back to see who was following her.

"Please, Momo, I'm trying to have a peaceful day," she murmured, leading Momo to roll her eyes. "You rolled your eyes, didn't you?" Nayeon guessed, and she was correct.

"You're often so cold," Momo stated simply. "That's why people think you're boring," she went on to say.

It wasn't like those remarks would upset Nayeon. In fact, she embraces how others perceive her. Being this way, from her perspective, is preferable to being fragile. It would create the sense for people that no one should mess with her. More precisely, to protect herself, she uses her indifference as a shield.

"Guess what?" Momo asked abruptly, only to hear Nayeon hum. She didn't seem really interested, unfortunately. It was only as if she didn't want to completely dismiss Momo. "You should guess," sighed the latter.

"You either tell me or don't say anything," Nayeon remarked, plainly not enjoying Momo's antics.

"Someone sent me a photo," Momo finally said, thinking Nayeon would bite, but the woman remained unconcerned. "It seems that your little spy is already at work," she said, and finally, Nayeon's attitude quickly became affected. The woman came to a halt before finally shifting her focus to Momo.

"My little spy?" Nayeon asked, raising both brows, "Her?"

Momo realized who Nayeon was referring to even without a name being mentioned. She simply smirked and nodded. Her expression indicated that she had conquered her employer's condescending attitude.

"Yes, her," Momo replied. "Your life's sweetheart, whom you are attempting to hide... or maybe bury in your past."

"What on earth are you talking about?" frowned Nayeon. "Just tell me what you want to say and stop going in different directions," she demanded.

"Eh, why are you always so grumpy?" Momo mused.

"It's because you are constantly saying ridiculous things," Nayeon argued.

"Fine," Momo groaned, accepting defeat. "Because I'm a good employee, I'll keep you updated," she paused, then resumed whispering, "Sana."

"It becomes more suspicious when you whisper like that," Nayeon could only say. "Show me the photo," she instructed. "That better not be a joke or anything, Momo. I'm telling you," Nayeon stated firmly, perhaps to warn.

Momo could only scoff as she took out her phone and located the snapshot that had been sent to her. She flashed it in front of Nayeon's eyes as soon as she found it. It took a while for the woman to react, but it was clear from her expression that she was unhappy.

"Are you done?" Momo inquired, assuming it would only take a few seconds, but Nayeon had still not said anything, compelling her to keep the phone up.

Nayeon brushed Momo's hand out of her face as a result of that question. She exhaled heavily before irritably asking, "Why do you need to update me, anyway?"

"What?" Momo asked, her brow wrinkled.

Despite knowing why Nayeon was suddenly acting this way, she played dumb. Oh well, suppressed jealousy is entertaining to see. Momo grumbled, "You wanted to see it."

It was a Baskin Robbins selfie of Dahyun and Sana. Mina, her wife, shared the photo with her as the latter was intrigued by Dahyun and Sana's relationship and assumed that Momo would be as well. Momo, on the other hand, had to keep shut and appear to be unaware of all she already knew.

"Dahyun is holding the camera in that photo," Nayeon pointed out, prompting Momo to simply bob her head. "Who delivered it to you?" she asked.

"Mina sent it to me," Momo said immediately. She revealed her chat with Mina in order to dispel the notion that she was somehow connected to Dahyun.

"Dahyun and Sana relationship," Nayeon hissed, shaking her head in disgust at what she had just read. "Why would she even think it's possible?" she said quietly, which Momo overheard.

"Because it is," Momo said. "I mean, why not?"

"How could it be possible when I hired Sana to do something behind Dahyun's back? That should be enough for them not to trust each other," Nayeon stated. "The thought of them being in a relationship is utterly ridiculous."

"You're somewhat right," Momo said, nodding her head. "Too bad," she murmured.

"What?" Nayeon asked, her chest heaved.

"I thought they'd make a cute couple."

"Yeah, sure. Think anything you want," Nayeon said, feigning a laugh and nodding her head. She considered walking away from the conversation after thinking that it was better not to engage in it anymore.

"Oh, she sent another photo," Momo remarked as she stood still, gazing at the phone's screen. Nayeon snatched her phone just as she was having a good look at it. "Hey! I'm still looking!" she exclaimed.

"Ah," Nayeon tried to keep her cool, but she was on the verge of losing it. "I said spy on her, not go on dates with her, Sana," she grumbled quietly. Fortunately, Momo didn't catch that because if she had, the woman would, without a doubt, mock her and describe her feelings as jealousy. It's not that it's not true; Nayeon just doesn't want to admit it.

"Give that back," Momo urged again, snatching the smartphone from the other woman's grasp.

"Fine, don't give me any more updates!" Nayeon exclaimed angrily, which Momo found somewhat entertaining. She tried not to laugh, instead pretending to be surprised by such an attitude. "I don't need it, okay? Sana will come over and give me an update on something worth my attention," she continued. "What you're giving me is a waste of valuable time."

Nayeon walked away with heavy steps before Momo could say anything. "What's the matter with her?" "I always thought Ms. Lim didn't have any weaknesses," she whispered, sighing, "but then there was jealousy."

 

 

"I got this. I got this," Sana chanted in her thoughts as she pointed the dart weapon at the last balloon. She inhaled deeply before closing one eye to obtain a better view of the target. "Three, two..." And the sound of a balloon popping could very well be heard.

"Amazing," Dahyun remarked as she pushed herself up from leaning on the countertop to clap her hands. "That's just incredible," she said again.

"It's not that difficult," Sana bragged about. "Don't fall for me for that," she managed to joke, although feeling pretty anxious on the inside. It's a good thing she liked hanging out at these types of places in college. If she didn't, she might not have won this for Dahyun while also not getting the assistant position she seeks. Overall, it was a wonderful memory that she will most likely remember whenever she can.

 But there was a strange feeling inside when her eyes landed on Dahyun. It felt like déjà vu. "So, what type of prize  would you get for me?" Dahyun inquired, charmingly smiling. Sana's sight was drawn to the location of the prizes as a result of that. "Anything will do," she said, so the woman wouldn't feel pressured to choose something that would suit her liking.

"They're all stuffed toys," Sana replied, glancing at Dahyun, who was already staring at her. "Do you even like these things?" she inquired, unsure.

"Of course," Dahyun replied. "Who doesn't appreciate cute things?"

"I know someone," Sana said quietly, and though Dahyun heard her, she said nothing. "Ah, I know what to choose!" exclaimed Sana, pointing to something nearly hidden behind the other toys. "Can we please have that one?" she inquired of the concessionaire.

Dahyun stood motionless as she observed Sana, wondering what the woman had in mind for her. She couldn't determine which one was being pointed to, so she couldn't react.

"This one?" asked the concessionaire, and when Sana nodded, Dahyun could only smile as she realized what the plush toy was. And, well, it wasn't what she had expected. Nonetheless, she remained silent until Sana excitedly handed it to her.

"A cute one, right?" Sana remarked, her cheeks red as she smiled.

"A beaver?" Dahyun arched both eyebrows, still curious as to what this could represent. "Why did you pick a beaver for me?" she asked at last.

"It's me."

"You?"

"Yeah, me," Sana replied, nodding her head. "Did you know that people call me an eager beaver?" she inquired.

Dahyun simply shook her head and continued to listen. "It's because I have an incredible amount of energy and passion for things, and I don't stop until I achieve what I want... maybe even more than what I want," Sana admitted sheepishly. She perceived this as reopening herself to someone, which was not her strongest suit, so she felt somewhat embarrassed. 

"I could see it in you," Dahyun said, chuckling. "This is really a cute one," she added, shifting her glance to Sana, who was ecstatic by what she'd heard. It's a comfort that the woman liked what she chose. "I'll take care of this... mini-version of you," Dahyun stated, lightly laughing.

"You should," Sana said, nodding her head. "It would also serve as a reminder of the type of person I am," she continued.

"An eager beaver," Dahyun replied.

"See, I was just as eager to get you a prize a while ago," Sana replied, the back of her head. "I guess I'm overly competitive about stuff."

"It's not always a terrible thing."

"Do you think so?" Sana questioned, prompting Dahyun to bob her head.

"If you want something, go for it and do everything you can to get it," she said.

"Even if someone gets hurt?"

"Hmm," Dahyun hummed, considering her response. "It's not a bad idea to consider how others might feel," she replied thoughtfully. "But if you are constantly thinking that you might hurt someone and end up not choosing yourself or whatever you want to do, you will be the one who gets hurt." "It's not always a bad thing to choose not to be hurt."

"You're pretty clever and deep, you know?" Sana exclaimed, laughing. Dahyun sighed, not expecting herself to say something like that either. "That's what makes you cool," she explained.

"Really?" Dahyun asked, a little intrigued. "I always assumed it was because of the way I looked," she explained.

"That's one as well," Sana acknowledged, nodding her head. 

That conversation came to an end in silence. But, as someone who wouldn't allow a conversation to end awkwardly, Sana came up with another subject to talk about. "Atty. Kim," she addressed the lady.

"Yes?"

"You were at the hospital before you met me today," Sana said, which caught Dahyun off guard. She hadn't expected Sana to inquire about it. "Are you okay?" Sana said, followed by, "You're not sick, are you?"

Dahyun couldn't help but chuckle at the thought of Sana worrying. She then shook her head and said, "of course not," which made the other woman smile with relief. "I get regular check-ups," Dahyun explained. "I want to make sure everything is in check and that there is nothing to worry about."

"That's wonderful to hear," Sana could only remark. "Health always comes first," she added.

Then this strange feeling returned. Sana thought it was strange that no matter how hard she tried not to think about that person, their memories kept coming back. 

"I hope Nayeon realizes that health is as important as her job," said a voice within her head.

"Sana-ssi," Dahyun's voice called her back from her reverie. "Is everything all right?" she worriedly asked.

"Yes, I just... I remembered something," Sana stammered.

"All right then," Dahyun could only say, though she didn't believe Sana had told the truth. It's just that she can't make Sana tell her anything the woman isn't prepared to share with her. "Because you remembered something," Dahyun began, pausing briefly before slowly continuing, "I just remembered that something important was coming up."

"Today?" Sana asked.

"No," Dahyun replied. "This week," she cleared out. Dahyun had to say it herself because Sana seemed to be confused, "it's my sister's birthday."

"Y-your sister..." Sana muttered, gasping as she realized what day it was today. However, recognizing that she shouldn't react to anything related to Nayeon, she quickly faked a cough. "So, you have a sister?" she asked, pretending to be interested.

Dahyun could only chuckle and say, "Yes, I have an older half-sister."

"Ah, I see..."

"If you don't have anything else planned after this, would you like to come and help me get something for her?" Dahyun inquired tentatively. "I just have no idea what her preferences would be, because we're not especially close," she tried to explain, only to persuade Sana even more.

"It's okay," Sana mumbled, "but what makes you think I know what she likes?" she queried, fearing that Dahyun was well aware of their relationship, just as Nayeon had told her. If that's the case, it's probable that the only reason Dahyun is being nice to her is because she wants to use Sana to get back at Nayeon. That's what Sana thought.

Dahyun had a sense Sana was thinking the very same thing, so she quickly contradicted it. "You know what I like," she said, lifting the beaver stuffed animal Sana had given her. "Perhaps you're good at picking gifts for people you don't know all that well," she said, and that was enough for Sana to hear and believe. After all, the woman had never considered Dahyun to be a bad person in her mind. Nonetheless, Nayeon continues to press her on that thought by giving her this spying-on-Dahyun job.