Chapter Thirteen

Shriveled Raisin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You did a good job today, Yunho. Keep it up,” a man said in a firm yet contented tone as he patted Yunho’s back.

Getting slightly sheepish yet also proud after hearing his supervisor’s complimenting him, Yunho rubbed his nape and flashed a humble grin.

“Thank you, sir,” he responded.

Today was yet another hectic day at work. However, few things happened that added the pressure to Yunho and other workers. Two colleagues were absent due to personal reasons, one trainee had apparently quitted, and this meant Yunho and others who remained had doubled the tasks than their usual. The hotel was seriously lacking in employees yet there was nothing done to change the high turnover rate.

 

And it didn’t help much when some ‘special’ customers were coming. Yunho didn’t put much attention to them as it wasn’t his responsibility to take care of those VIPs, but he did hear some saying that they were inspectors of some kind. Maybe that would explain as to why his supervisor had arrived way earlier than he often did, and began endlessly reminding the staff to do their best today. The supervisor usually didn’t give much a damn, that was why the sudden change in his personality convinced Yunho that some important guests were coming.

However, despite all the tensed atmosphere, Yunho had an ironically fun day at work. He surely had extra burden and pressure especially when there were not many workers left. But somehow all of these didn’t affect him internally. He was able to casually chat with his colleagues, cracked jokes during lunchtime and displayed sincere hospitability to any customers he had to serve.

In fact, his supervisor was also praising him now. In other words, Yunho enjoyed his job today. It was something he didn’t expect he would admit, but he did. It was odd indeed, but he gladly took these changes if it meant for a better future. And that all mattered.

 

“Goodbye, see you guys tomorrow!” Yunho waved back to his colleagues as each of them packed their belongings from the locker.

Yunho had just realised that he didn’t steal glances at the clock today, not even once! He assumed today must be a rare, great day then. He didn’t even notice when the sun began to set down. He smiled to himself.

Walking to the grand entrance of the hotel, Yunho was about to take his exit when his eyes suddenly caught sight of a familiar figure standing against the marbled wall in the vast lobby. Yunho immediately stopped his striding as he scanned the surrounding. There were many customers and visitors alike in the lobby. He had to wait for a couple of groups to walk pass him before he could see the familiar someone again. And when he saw him, Yunho’s eyes widened.

 

“Jaejoong!” Yunho called out excitedly.

There he was, Jaejoong, who was leaning his back against the wall waving back at him with an acknowledging nod. Yunho didn’t hesitate to wave back excitedly as he started having a little jogging towards the angel. It appeared that Jaejoong was in a disguise of a normal man clothed in a casual sweater with a pair of beige pants.

Yet Yunho’s contented smile faltered as he almost immediately noticed how everyone around him in the lobby was practically staring at him, each of them having similar confused expressions displayed on their face. It didn’t take Yunho long enough to realise why people were staring at him like he was a lunatic who had escaped from the asylum; Jaejoong was invisible.

 

“Hey…” rubbing his nape as an act to remain undisturbed throughout the gazes sent at him, Yunho sheepishly walked to Jaejoong and cleared his throat, head lowered to avoid the strangers’ eyes on him.

Jaejoong didn’t even try to hide it as he burst out laughing, to which Yunho responded by rolling his eyes and softly gave the other’s leg a kick. The angel dramatically pretended to be in great pain as he bent down and reached towards his knee, groaning in pain. Yunho sighed again. He knew Jaejoong knew that he couldn’t do much else he would be seen as a bizarre man who bantered at the wall alone. This was Jaejoong’s golden chance to knowing the man couldn’t retort much.

 

“Cut it out,” Yunho said, clearing his throat as an attempt to dismiss the remaining strangers who were staring at him.

Jaejoong, still laughing, returned to his usual standing position and leaned against the wall, obviously entertained.

“Look at you, all flustered. Do you know how cute you look like right now?” the angel asked as his laughter subdued yet his smirking remained.

“I don’t think me acting like an insane man can be considered as cute,” Yunho objected but the pale tint of pink on his cheeks only got brighter.

Jaejoong laughed once more, clearly not caring at how possibly loud he sounded since no one else could hear him. Seeing Yunho still scowling, the angel eventually hooked his arm around the man’s back, pulling the other close to him as they both walked out of the hotel building.

 

The pair continued walking down the streets talking and simply enjoying each other’s company. Yunho actually wanted to take the taxi, but Jaejoong insisted to walk because according to the angel, it was rather boring at home. In fact, it was Friday, so Jaejoong had this sudden idea to eat outside, and Yunho really saw nothing wrong in it.

“How’s your day at work?” Jaejoong asked, turning his head at Yunho as his arm was still hooked around the man.

Ever since they left the hotel, Yunho tried to squeeze and wriggle his way out of the angel’s ‘captive’ but each time he managed to do so Jaejoong would tighten his grip. Yunho just sighed, although secretly he didn’t mind it at all. The other male was slightly shorter than him so he had to bend down a little bit whenever Jaejoong’s arm was around him. In fact, Jaejoong often smelled heavenly.

 

“It was hectic. Few workers didn’t come today and there were like VIPs visiting the hotel. But eh, my supervisor praised me and I am kinda proud of myself,” Yunho answered, a relieved grin spreading across his lips as the memory of him getting complimented played in mind.

“Look at you!” Jaejoong initially let out a pleased gasp, then he ruffled Yunho’s hair. “You should be proud. It’s not everyday a senior would praise the employees.”

Yunho chuckled a bit, then he playfully shoved his elbow at the angel’s hand to stop him from messing with his hair.

“What? Your hair is precious?” Jaejoong asked, deliberately going for a second chance to ruffle the man’s hair before getting nudged again.

Yunho rolled his eyes and reached out to mess with the angel’s hair to which the male responded by pushing his hand away instead. Yunho raised a mocking brow.

 

“Hey, my hair is precious! I have just styled this,” Jaejoong remarked as he removed his arm from the other and began combing his locks with his fingers.

Yunho sighed. “And mine isn’t?” he questioned, shaking his head.

Then suddenly, in the split of a second, Jaejoong effortlessly teleported right in front of Yunho, blocking the man’s way. He turned around to directly face Yunho before crossing his arms across his chest. Yunho instantly halted his pace and looked at him blankly.

“Tell me that I am handsome,” Jaejoong randomly blurted.

“Hah?” a tone of blatant confusion came out of Yunho’s mouth.

Jaejoong took a step closer towards the man and Yunho found himself straightening his back. The angel leaned forward, deliberately bringing his face closer to the man and a mischievous smile appeared on his plump lips. Yunho froze, eyes bewildered and widened. The pleasant odour of familiar jasmine brought him into a dazed trance. Jaejoong squinted his eyes as he observed the human in front of him.

“Hmm… I feel that you might like me,” the angel spoke.

“Huh??” Yunho’s body immediately jerked backward, and his eyes enlarged even further. The angel’s statement caught him completely off guard yet personally, he himself wasn’t so sure as to why he suddenly felt the need to defend himself. It was just a playful statement, wasn’t it? “Stop speaking baseless opinions, man.”

“Then why are you so flustered and hot pink right now?” Jaejoong asked some more. The cunning grin didn’t leave his lips.

Yunho quickly brought his hands to his face, wildly patting his cheeks and as far as he hated to admit it, his cheeks felt warm. He didn’t have to see the mirror to know what colours they were in right now.

“What’s with you being this direct all of sudden? Are you drunk or something?” Yunho questioned back and shook his head.

 

Visibly sighing, Yunho tried to ignore the subject and attempted to walk around the angel and continued forward, but Jaejoong was quick to step to the side and blocked his path again. When Yunho stepped to the left, the other followed suit. When he swiftly swerved to the right again, the angel simply teleported right in front of him once more. Yunho finally admitted defeat and stared directly into Jaejoong’s eyes.

“What is it now?” he asked, obviously perplexed.

“I know you find me good-looking, charming even,” Jaejoong didn’t beat around the bush.

“No,” Yunho simply stated.

Jaejoong shrugged before leaning forwards once more, bringing his face closer to the man. His eyes squinted and he hummed for a bit. Failing to keep a direct eye contact, Yunho decided to look elsewhere.

 

“Damn, how high can your standards be that a literal angel doesn’t faze you?” Jaejoong eventually complained.

Yunho rolled his eyes. “Get your weird goofy from me. What’s gotten into you being so direct like this?” he retorted.

Jaejoong scoffed. “I don’t know. I just like messing with you. I mean look, you look adorable when you are angry, I can’t help it,” he explained.

Yunho blinked as he physically could feel his cheeks warming up. He didn’t understand as to why he felt something funny in him. The moment the male told him he looked somewhat adorable, Yunho felt happier than when his supervisor complimented him. It surprised him because he definitely liked this positive feeling, but his stubbornness convinced him not to fall into the death angel’s devious trick.

 

“See? You are red right now,” Jaejoong pointed out, smiling wide as he playfully patted Yunho’s face.

“Stop,” Yunho fought back, but he wasn’t really complaining. “Now get out of my way.”

Seemingly satisfied, a wide grin didn’t leave Jaejoong’s face as he finally turned around and began walking again. Sighing in relief, Yunho followed behind as he quietly brought his hand to his cheek, secretly surprised at how warm it felt. He had never felt a similar feeling like this before. Was it because he was used to being teased and mocked by the cunning death angel?

 

The two continued walking down the streets as the moon ascended higher. It was weekend and it was no surprise to see that there were many people seen loitering around. The asphalt was crowded by cars, some racing to reach home while some looking for restaurants to spend time with loved ones. Couples were walking with hands interlocked, wearing matching outfits. Some tourists were appreciating the city’s night landscape, posing in various creative ideas for their photos and videos. Despite it was evening, the city was vibrant, and it was such a pleasing sight to see especially during the weekends. It was no longer a foreign situation.

Both Yunho and Jaejoong were sharing an animated conversation, unaware of how long they had been walking and not feeling a single hint of exhaustion either. Jaejoong was mainly the one telling a lot of stories, mostly updating Yunho on the stuff he watched from TV, like the recent national and international news, some crazy recipes he would like to try one day, some interior decorations inspirations he picked up from the shows and the viral scandals of the local celebrities.

Yunho didn’t speak much but it was no doubt that he totally enjoyed listening to the man telling all this stuff to him. He knew that Jaejoong was a death angel but at times like this, he couldn’t help but to see the angel as nothing other than a child whenever he got excited over his discoveries. Yunho smiled at that thought. It was endearing to see the male behaving this pure. It reminded Yunho that sometimes, even angels still have some mysterious left to discover, making Jaejoong felt more humane rather than a divine being.

 

“Hey, it’s open,” Jaejoong spoke as he pointed his finger towards somewhere.

“What is it?” Yunho asked blankly, taking few seconds to recognise the building indicated by the man next to him. It was a small yet somehow popular snack bar.

“Since you did a good job today, let’s eat to celebrate. In fact, I am hungry,” Jaejoong said. “It will be my treat.”

“Your treat?” Yunho found himself chuckling. “The last time I checked, you don’t have money and a job.”

Jaejoong instead sent a scheming wink at him. Then he pulled out a wallet out of his pocket an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter