Chapter Eight

Shriveled Raisin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Weeks and a few months had gone by. Without noticing how fast the time lapsed, both Yunho and Jaejoong had grown comfortable with one another. Yunho had become less and less doubtful upon the angel’s truthful existence, especially because he secretly admitted he enjoyed the other’s company. Their life continued as normal as it could with their daily routines having little to no changes. Things went quite well without much hassle.

Yunho even almost forgot the one dreadful fact that he was in his last days which simply meant sooner or later something would happen to him. Usually this thought alone would haunt him even to sleep but nowadays he was more focused on appreciating Jaejoong’s company while also working on his painting for the competition. Sometimes, he was even doubtful that good things kept on happening, it was suspiciously good. But again, Yunho was already contented with how things went right now.

 

Today, just like any other day, Yunho woke up in the morning but this time it wasn’t thanks to his alarm, but rather, a phone call. He had to struggle with his temporary blurry vision as he cranked his neck to the left. The sight of his phone trembling on the nightstand greeted him. The ringtone wreaked havoc inside his ears causing him to groan in displease.

“It’s seven in the morning…” Yunho complained.

Eventually sitting up, Yunho reached out to pick up the phone before answering the call. Seriously, what could have happened so bad for the caller to disturb a man’s morning sleep?

“Hello?” he asked with an obvious yawn, intentionally aimed to show the caller that it was just not pleasant to disturb somebody’s morning.

And upon listening to the dialler, Yunho’s once displeased face turned even sourer.

 

The call was brief before the person on the other end of the line killed the dial. Yet it was brief enough to ruin Yunho’s entire mood for the day. It wasn’t a tragically bad news, no, but it was equally horrendous if not less. He was right to be suspicious of how good things seemed to happen lately. This was the day when it’s time for the bad omen to take place. It was a terrible way of waking up in the morning. Yunho had had a fair share of awful mornings and this incident today added up to that list. He finally cursed under his breath.

Running his fingers through his hair, Yunho angrily tossed the phone to the other empty side of the bed. And that was when he saw it. Something familiar yet foreign, something he had seen before yet now out of place; a couple of black feathers were lying on the sheet.

Tilting his head in mild confusion, Yunho carefully reached out and picked up one of the feathers. After observing, he then confirmed that these feathers belonged to Jaejoong. And yes, both Yunho and Jaejoong had been sharing the same bed without much issue. Yet today was the first time that the man saw feathers on his bed. Did Jaejoong pluck these out?

 

Finally walking out of the bedroom, Yunho was immediately greeted by the angel who had just exited from the bathroom. Jaejoong was drying his hair with a towel while another layer was wrapped around his waist down to the knees. The angel had always managed to look good but today Yunho was even more captivated upon noticing the bare chest and abdomen the angel had. The sparkling beads of fresh water rolled down Jaejoong’s chest, making a meandering trail to his waist. Yunho found himself gulping. What was happening? He knew the man was charming but today he looked extra gorgeous being half- like that. Maybe it was just because Jaejoong had just finished showering, Yunho reassured himself.

 

“Oh, morning,” Jaejoong casually greeted once his eyes landed upon the man.

“Morning,” Yunho shortly replied. The last call he had ruined his temper, but he had something else to know. “Hey, I have something to ask.”

“Yeah?” the angel spoke, hanging the used towel over his shoulder. His mildly dried hair still had water droplets gradually making a small puddle on top of his shoulders.

Yunho then approached Jaejoong before showing the other the black feather he had in his hand. Jaejoong just blinked at him, most likely confused.

 

“This is your feather?” Yunho straight away questioned.

“Yeah?” Jaejoong answered, puzzled. “What about it?”

“And why are there feathers on the bed?” Yunho asked next.

Jaejoong shrugged casually as he proceeded to the living room where he sat on the couch, turning on the TV with the controller. “I was shedding my wings,” he told, eyes sticking on the news channel.

“What? You are a reptilian or something?” Yunho voiced out another question.

“Tsk, as if humans don’t cut their hair only to grow them again,” the angel remarked from the living room.

Yunho just sighed. The other did make sense. “Next time throw them in the bin,” he told.

“Yes sir,” a response was heard from the living room.

 

Half an hour went by when Yunho finished his brief cold shower. Warm water comforted him that sometimes they made his tense muscles relaxed, and at rare times he would become drowsy too. That was why he needed cold water in the morning, especially if the sun shone too bright. Both Yunho and Jaejoong were now having a simple breakfast together. Jaejoong was kind enough to prepare a bowl of cereals for the two, and it was enough. Cereals were one of the few dishes the angel was brave and confident to make alone. But he was still experimenting with other menus as well. The two men didn’t speak much despite facing one another in the dining table.

 

And that was when the doorbell rang.

 

“You are expecting a guest today?” Jaejoong curiously asked before shoving a spoonful of milk into his mouth.

“No,” Yunho answered as he looked back at the door.

“That’s weird,” Jaejoong commented.

“I’ll get it,” Yunho then stood up from his plastic chair before making his way to the front door.

First, a phone call in the early morning. And now, a sudden guest who came without prior notice? Just what exactly was happening today?

 

When his hand reached out to the doorknob, Yunho gave a twist before pulling the door open. He didn’t even care to take a sneak peek through the window. He was already sour enough to just want to make things as quick as he could. He forced a smile upon his lips before proceeding to completely open the door. Whoever it was that caused such a ruckus in the morning better had a real business to discuss.

“Hello there-” and Yunho’s voice was abruptly cut.

 

And there she was standing in front of the door.

 

An awfully strong fragrance of perfume spread through the thin air. The lady was about the same age as Yunho, looking a few years younger. Her fair complexion was layered by a set of quite revealing style of clothing where a white camisole was matched with a short dark green skirt. Her hair was dyed in pale brown and fashioned in a wavy manner as the strands cascaded down her back. Some fringes covered her forehead, but they never reached the eyes.

The lady was obviously a natural beauty, and her attractiveness was amplified with the visible colours of make-ups, ranging from a strong shade of mascara to the bold spicy red of her lips. Her pair of iridescent jade eyes gazed up at Yunho as she was slightly shorter.

Despite her magnificent splendour though, the lady was one of the few people whom Yunho had completely loathed to see again. Venomous.

 

“Alice?” Yunho asked in both surprise and confusion. He didn’t expect for such a familiar name to roll out of his tongue again, not after all these years. Such a once sweet name was not nothing but a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter