Chapter Twenty-Two

Shriveled Raisin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“YOU ARE TELLING ME TO JUMP OFF THIS ING CLIFF?!” Yunho’s yelling echoed across the air.

“Yes,” Jaejoong, who was behind him, simply answered.

“Are you crazy?” Yunho retorted.

 

Both Yunho and Jaejoong had made a spontaneous plan to hike. Well, it was Jaejoong’s idea mainly. The angel managed to convince Yunho that they could fulfil his wish of parachuting by hiking. That suggestion itself was odd and suspicious enough but Yunho didn’t think twice of it. In fact, he admitted he needed some fresh outdoor time given he had 3 off days now. It would be fun after all, or maybe not.

The moment they reached the hiking site, Jaejoong immediately led the way to the higher area of the hill as if he had known this place for years, until they arrived at a rather secluded part, where it was just a cliff. There were no other hikers around. The air of the morning dew was fresh yet cold, and Yunho was totally dumbfounded as to why the angel brought him here.

And that was when Jaejoong told him to just ‘jump’ off the cliff.

 

“Man are you trying to take my life right now, really?” having a significant fear towards heights, Yunho couldn’t even manage to look down over the cliff, not even a brief glance.

“I am not,” Jaejoong casually answered.

Each time Yunho tried to turn around and back off from the edge of the cliff, the angel would force him to stay still by holding both of his shoulders, firmly too. Surprisingly the male had amazing strength in him.

“As if taking me here to hike out of the blue is not weird enough, now you want me to jump? Jump? Seriously? I am not sure if you still remember it or not, but I don’t have wings,” Yunho kept on complaining.

Jaejoong just sighed. Shaking his head to himself, his arms protruded before he took firm grip on both of Yunho’s clothed shoulders from behind, causing the human in front of him to gasp. And without warning, he began pushing the man forward, closer to the edge.

“Oi, oi, oi! What the hell are you doing?!” Yunho quickly protested, the lower of his shoes tried to dig deeper onto the rocky ground, attempting to halt his movement yet to no avail.

When the angel didn’t respond, and when he was just few inches close to falling, Yunho’s eyes widened upon realisation, knowing that Jaejoong most likely was neither joking nor teasing him. He was serious.

 

“Jaejoong, l-look, please! This is not funny. You can’t do this to me,” Yunho quickly stuttered, his breath hitched the very moment when his shoes were half on the ground, and half past the cliff edge.

“Jaejoong, please… This is not funny anymore. I am scared,” Yunho finally told, his voice low and weakened, the horror on his face was blatant the more he saw just how devastating of a fall he would have if he were to jump off right now. He couldn’t even clearly see the ground below, covered in mist. He noticed few parked cars and they were dotted like ants.

The angel behind him though, remained calm and relaxed. He nodded to himself as he patted Yunho’s shoulders twice. Then he leaned closer against the man’s back as he whispered,

“Fly well, Yunho.”

And with a single push, Yunho finally fell off from the cliff edge.

 

Harsh wind began slapping against his face as Yunho gained speed the further down he fell. All he saw was the bright, white sky glamouring over his fall. Suddenly, the air around him tightened, pressing against his chest, forbidding him to breathe. His head emptied and accumulated thoughts were rapidly replaced with numbing fear. He was facing upwards, unable to see the ground below, adding up to the intense suspense of the fall. He was racing with the wind on his sides.

 

Why? How? And, when? Why did the angel push him? How did the angel think of this? And when would this fall end? Was this Jaejoong’s task? To take his life simply because he had evaded death before this?

Yunho stared up at the sky. The wind blurring his sight, but the brightness of the sun didn’t fail to illuminate his vision. The sky looked like it was trying to gracefully reach out towards him, as if saving him. He watched as his own hand spread forward. His fingers spread open, but none held him. As such, he continued to fall.

 

However, the sky, in fact, did save him.

 

As he continued to rapidly fall, Yunho watched with widened eyes as he the sky slowly changed into a pair of majestic wings. The feathers spread so vast across the sky, blemishing the sun and the clouds alike, as it became the main visual of the scenery. The feathers danced so soft, so gentle, and so bright. And within that split of a second, Yunho swore he had seen a pair of regal white wings. So majestically white that Yunho had forgotten what the colour of white actually looked like.

And within that second as well, he felt his fingers being warmly held. He heard the whispering breeze around him singing a song of the wind, so alluring and mesmerising. It was like a choir in the hall attended by many. It was like a theatrical play of the century. And then, just like that, Yunho was saved. His hand was held by the wrist, and when he blinked his eyes again, he saw him.

There he was smiling from above. A smile that was so familiar and so comforting, that a man’s critically perilous day would be magically turned to paradise upon seeing such an angelic smile. Jaejoong was hovering above him while holding his hand, preventing Yunho from falling further.

Yunho himself was stunned, rendered speechless. He kept on staring at the angel above him. The halo of golden white lights radiated brightly around the male that they blinded his vision. Not even the sun could defeat such heavenly lights. Yet, when the lights eventually subdued, Yunho blinked. And the moment he opened his eyes again, all he saw was Jaejoong who smiled at him, yet the angel’s wings were now pure black of death.

“Let’s fly to the sky, Yunho,” Jaejoong’s voice sounded like a lullaby.

And Yunho was only able to nod wordlessly.

 

The moment Jaejoong held his hand, Yunho could physically feel his body becoming lighter like a feather. Suddenly, the concept of gravity was like a myth right now. There was nothing pulling him downward, the Earth was no longer hungry for his mortal soul. It felt as if he could float away if the angel released him. And the wind around him still sang a song in a comforting whisper, accompanying the two men.

Still utterly dumbfounded, Yunho couldn’t ask questions as Jaejoong flipped the black wings on his back and began lifting the two of them higher. Thus, the magical journey started, and Yunho swore this was probably the most significant indicator that finally told him that his desperate prayer of years ago was indeed, heard.

 

As the two began flying, Yunho’s heart started to beat in a rushed pace. Slowly, his senses returned to him and when he eventually realised that he was basically floating in the air thousands of heights above the ground, he started to gradually panic.

Yunho quickly glanced downward, trying to check how high he was up in this sky and oh boy, such an action was the one he regretted the most. The landscape of the ground below looked like nothing but resembling as if it was a drawn map instead. Tiny dots of cars were spotted, some moving while the rest were motionless. Not a single sign of humans was visible, just like ants. Even the once tall buildings were now nothing but small of white and grey.

Yunho frantically looked at his surrounding, gulping and gasping when all he managed to see was a mixture of blue and bright white of the spacious sky. Suddenly, the world no longer felt cramped. It was utter paradise and freedom up here, with the sky seemingly so endless without boundaries.

Jaejoong continued flapping his wings as he ascended upward more and more. Yunho cranked his neck to stare up at the man, the rays of the sun magically no longer blinding his sight. He saw how the angel’s pale fingers grace

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter