Epilogue

Shriveled Raisin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Congratulations, Yunho!” a familiar woman’s voice echoed throughout the hall, followed by some excited quick taps of high heels. “Sorry I was running late. Traffic was crazy.”

“Oh, no, no. It’s alright. I don’t really mind, and thank you,” a genuine glad smile spread across Yunho’s lips. There was nothing more that could make him happier than seeing the person skipping to him right now.

His sister was dressed in a smart beige blouse, matched with a plain black skirt that seemed a bit too tight around her legs, but she managed to appear a beauty, nonetheless, with the light make-ups gracing her face. Her hair was styled in a simple bun, decorated by some twirled braids that swayed each time she made a step. And she was holding a purse as she tried her best to quicken her steps without tripping over her heels. It was obvious she had been in a hurry.

 

When the siblings finally got close to one another they welcomed each other with a warm, tight embrace. Yunho’s sister proceeded to pat his back and squeezed his body full of adoration, receiving a laughter from him.

“I am so, so proud of you. I am sorry I didn’t manage to attend the full event though,” Yunho’s sister spoke, sounding genuinely apologetic.

Yunho shook his head and smiled reassuringly. “Like I said, it’s totally fine. I would be worried if you rushed on the road though,” he remarked.

His sister smiled, then playfully nudged his arm after taking a full look of her brother from head to toe. “Oh, dang. Look at this distinguished winner right here. Looking all handsome and smart,” she cheekily praised.

Yunho playfully rolled his eyes, but pride certainly blossomed within him. “Come on now. People are watching,” he said.

 

Clothed in a brand-new smart tux, Yunho didn’t mind spending some large worth of bucks to buy himself a new clothing. Today was his special day after all. It was the day he had been waiting for. And he needed to present himself properly.

After months of waiting, few weeks ago Yunho had just been informed that the painting he registered for the competition scored the spot of first place, and such a news brought all kinds of flowers to him. The prize of first place was no joke. It was a literal fortune. Money was certainly included in the list of rewards, but that wasn’t what Yunho targeted the most. Rather, it was the fact that his painting was selected to be presented in an art exhibition, this was the most treasured prize he had been yearning for.

To have his masterpiece being framed on a white wall, displayed to visitors and admirers, Yunho was the proudest. He felt like he had achieved something big in life, and he surely did. Never once in his life he could have expected to see one of his works being displayed and labelled as a masterpiece in an art exhibition, yet now that it happened today, he would never complain.

 

Yunho asked his sister to attend the exhibition as well. He was rewarded with one free ticket to invite anyone he would like, and he knew his sister would be the most deserving of his success. He did invite his other friends and work colleagues, however, yet that was up to them if they would pay to see his art.

Honestly, Yunho never saw such a day like today would ever happen in his life. But now that it did happen, he was the happiest man he could ever be.

In fact, the news of his victory somehow spread like a gentle wildfire across some of the significant folks in the art community and the next thing Yunho knew, he had been receiving some offers and commissions that he had yet to consider. But he admitted that these could be the signs that his life would finally turn for the better.

“Now, now. Quickly show me the painting. I want to see it,” his sister excitedly urged. She had already taken out her phone from her purse, the camera was switched on.

“Alright, alright,” Yunho couldn’t help but to laugh seeing his sister’s enthusiasm. “Come.”

 

Having to pave his way in the middle of the dispersed groups of art critics, admirers, and visitors, Yunho elegantly led the way for his sister in the hall until they entered an open section where even more people gathered around. For the first time in his life, Yunho walked with back straightened, chin properly lifted, and gaze ahead. Confidence had been a conflict in most parts of his life before this. But today, he was a different man. And he was happy.

Eventually, after making sure his sister was not lost in the crowed, Yunho managed to bring her to a different, separated chamber in the hall. It was the main room of the exhibition. Several selected artists from colleges and competitions had their works framed on the walls of the room, including Yunho’s painting.

The room was spacious. Its entire flooring was carpeted in luxurious red that somehow made a good mix with the intensely white walls concept. Large chandeliers decorated the high ceiling of the room, illuminating the area with their lights despite the outside was a sunny day.

Different topics of conversation mixed into a series of softly muffled mutterings that reverberated throughout the entire room. Some people discussed art, some were taking pictures with their gadgets, while some were busy interviewing few artists they could encounter.

 

Yunho proceeded to make a beeline in the middle of the spora

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter