Chapter Four

Shriveled Raisin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Weeks had certainly passed since the day when both Yunho and Jaejoong came into a mutual agreement to live together. It wasn’t a complete agreement, however. Yunho didn’t fully trust Jaejoong yet even after witnessing the man literally showing off his angelic black wings. There were some instances where Yunho found himself doubting Jaejoong since the last ‘personal’ talk they had was weeks ago where Jaejoong finally explained his reasoning of being assigned to Yunho as a guiding death angel. That conversation never left Yunho’s mind even at work regardless of whether his shift was torturing or not (which was rare). Having a literal angel descending from Heaven just to live at your cramped apartment? That sounded like an actual miracle, a tale so flabbergasting that Yunho knew he could be one of the candidates who write fantasy-themed ‘true stories’, like the alien abduction cases.

Although he admitted that he should have been grateful for being graced with the visit of a literal angel, regardless of a death angel or not, it was still a touch of divinity. But Yunho wasn’t exactly sure if he was going crazy or not. He felt like he should have been kneeling on the floor crying to God in gratitude because after all these years, him screaming his lungs out during a thunderstorm paid off. However, at this point, Yunho couldn’t tell whether Jaejoong was an actual angel or a parasite leeching off his minimal ‘luxuries’ because… Jaejoong was far from the definition of an angel. Demonically farfetched.

 

Weeks living with the death angel, Yunho had been tormented with a series of tortures. No, he wouldn’t say these ‘tortures’ were as critical as the ones he faced at work, those were much worse. But he didn’t expect such troubles coming off as a result of him accepting a grim reaper inside his property. Jaejoong was far from the term angelic, and his entire personality was too mischievous, stubborn, selfish, and just straight up demonic, lacking a sense of responsibility and respect.

The angel would curse out whenever things didn’t go his way, sometimes he would walk around mostly ‘’ with a towel covering his waist down his thighs, indirectly forcing Yunho to buy new sets of clothing for him. Moreover, both Jaejoong and Yunho would have their daily banters ranging from Jaejoong deliberately getting on Yunho’s nerves by pointing out his mistakes and habits, to the two men engaged in a loud vocal arguing over which TV channels to watch for the night.

 

However, Jaejoong wasn’t all that bad. Sometimes the angel would cook dinner whenever Yunho had his late shifts. Yet, alas, the meals were usually bland and sometimes Yunho wasn’t really in the mood to savour tasteless menus upon being completely exhausted from work. Jaejoong would then retort by remarking that coming home to a dinner of warm meals was better than buying some late-night junk food from the convenience store.

On rare occasions Yunho would return home to a neatly polished apartment where it was obvious Jaejoong had done some cleaning to the living space. Yunho appreciated these rare miracles but mostly he was annoyed by the daily chaotic lifestyle the death angel shared with him. On some days Yunho would end up fuming to the point that he would desperately ask the death angel when his ‘last day’ supposed to be, because he was too tired to be constantly paranoid of possible incoming external ‘death causes’. But Jaejoong would often nonchalantly respond with the usual phrases of, “Bro, how would I know? I am not God. I am just being sent here.”

 

And today was no different than any other day. Yunho was having an off day and he had just stepped out of his bedroom after enjoying a well-deserved sleep past 10am. He still had not changed from his black hotel uniform since last night’s shift. The first image greeting him was Jaejoong relaxing on the sofa eating crackers, eyes glued to the television with both of his legs sprawled on top of the low coffee table in front.

The angel was wearing the new pair of black shorts Yunho had just purchased for him and nothing more. Yunho clicked his tongue in distaste. Sometimes he still couldn’t comprehend how the angel was able to have physical effects on his belongings such as the crackers while remaining practically invisible to other people’s eyes.

 

Ignoring the subtle unholy sight, Yunho had to walk past the living room in order to reach the adjoined kitchen for his morning coffee. And when he did so, almost immediately another unpleasant sight welcomed his view. There were used clothes strewn all over the floor of the living room. These clothes belonged to none other than Jaejoong. Despite Yunho had told him to put the clothes in the laundry basket, the angel still had this idea that each shirt only lasted for a day of use before it belonged to the rubbish bin, to which Yunho had a hard time convincing Jaejoong that that was not how clothing worked. Other than the clothes, crumpled empty crackers packages sporadically laid across the floor, near to the bin. It seemed like Jaejoong had attempted to throw these straight into the bin from the couch, yet it was apparent he had failed.

With a displeased frown, Yunho proceeded to the kitchen as an attempt to set the living room mess aside for now, only to be saluted by similar mess. Dirty dishes sat in the sink, beads of visible food crumbs were all over the counter, and a film of grease layered around the stove. When Yunho approached the fridge, smudges were seen on the surface of its door. Yunho had long believed that angels were holy creatures which technically meant they preferred to live within a clean and healthy environment. Now, he regretted thinking so.

 

“Could you bring your lazy to clean this room every now and then, please?” Yunho fi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter