God Only Knows

Oppa! [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was a chill in the early morning air when Jihoon opened the sliding door to the courtyard. He’s always an early riser but he woke up particularly early today. He’d have to drive his father and Jieun’s parents to the airport before 8am, but he had a weird dream that woke him up earlier than his set alarm. Thinking to make most of his time, he decided to do some lifts and maybe run a little before getting ready to leave.

Stretching his arms as he made his way to the open area, a seated form caught his eye.

“Jihoon, son..”

It was Jinwoo, who seemed surprised to see him up so early.

“Good morning, abbunim, you’re up early too.” He greeted the older man. Jinwoo had a mug of coffee on the small table in front of him, which he leisurely sipped from before responding.

“Ah, you know how old people don’t need much sleep.”

He grinned and nodded, taking the empty chair beside Jinwoo. He debated whether to talk to Jieun’s father about what’s been filling his mind for months. He doesn’t have a great track record when it comes to talking to dads, but he and Jinwoo had been getting along pretty well. Besides, if he really wants to propose soon, he’d have to tell Jinwoo first.

“Errm…” Jihoon cleared his throat, wringing his hands as he tries to find the right way to open the topic.”Abbunim, there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you.”
 

“Hmm?”

Suddenly, the sound of a rooster crowing somewhere seemed so loud, and the seconds seemed to lengthen to Jihoon.

“I-..uh, I’m planning to propose to your daughter soon...”He gulped involuntary as Jinwoo’s eyes narrowed at him. “I’d like to ask for your blessing, abbunim. It would make me the happiest man alive.”

What happened next was so unexpected. The corners of Jinwoo’s mouth started rising as a grin broke out on his face. Jihoon almost choked when the older man patted his back and chuckled.

“Aigoo, I would be honored, son. You have my blessing. Now you only need to get Jieun to say yes.”

Jihoon blinked at Jinwoo, finding it hard to believe that it was that easy. Although they’ve been getting along well, Jinwoo still scared him a little, knowing how protective he is of his daughter. Part of him expected an interrogation and a lecture on marital bliss, but Jinwoo seemed to be happy at the prospect of having him as his son-in-law.

When Jinwoo asked him why he looked so shocked and speechless, he admitted that he was a little nervous about talking asking Jinwoo for Jieun’s hand in marriage.

“Well, you know that my daughter is precious to me, right? That’s why I’ve been very protective of her. But I am happy you’re honoring my daughter with marriage, Jihoon. It would make me and Mina happy.” He leaned closer and added, ”We’ve also been wanting to have our own grandchildren, hehe.”

His face felt so warm, not sure how to react to Jinwoo’s words. However the idea of having little ones with Jieun seemed like the stuff of fairytales, his heart was jumping at the image.

“Thank you, abbunim..now I just have to think of when and how I’ll ask Jieun. I don’t want to scare her off…any advice on how I should do it?”

Jinwoo’s grin widened.

“You’re very perceptive, son.” The older man shifted in his seat, facing his way and leaning closer. “You know how my daughter is strong willed, and how she values her independence, but I’m sure she loves you very much. It’s the happiest I’ve seen her in a while, to tell you the truth.  But my advice is this, don’t surprise her too much. She doesn’t take surprises and unexpected things too well.”

He paused, chewing on what Jinwoo told him. It makes sense. Jieun likes to take charge when she feels strongly about something.

“So…..no grand proposal plans, then.” He sighed. It was already in his plans to whisk Jieun away some place wonderful and surprise her with a proposal, her family and friends present, but now, that idea doesn’t seem so promising.

Jinwoo scooted closer and squeezed his shoulder encouragingly.

“Don’t overthink about it. I know it will go well.” Jinwoo said with a warm smile, before rising from his seat and leaving him to do his exercise routine.

As he jogged near the beach, a plan was starting to form in his head.

No surprises; simple and intimate.

When he went back to the house, he felt a bit surer of how he’s going to ask Jieun to be his wife. 

He was busy thinking and marinating on this idea while preparing breakfast when a yawning Jieun came up behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist.

“Pancakes?” She asked sleepily.

He turned a little to his left to kiss her forehead before replying.

“Uh-huh.”

A look of relief brightened Jieun’s otherwise sleepy face.

 “UGHH I love you!” She buried her face on his back, making him chuckle. ”I’m starving.”

“Of course you are.” Turning to face her, he added, “you’re the tiniest glutton I’ve ever met.”

Jieun gave him a playful glare, then proceeded to ask him if there’s anything she can help with.

“You can set the table and get the coffee ready..”

He felt Jieun peel herself from him, walking towards the cupboard where the plates and utensils were stored. She arranged seven sets of plates on the table for her parents and Jihoon’s family. The smell of brewing coffee, pancakes and bacon permeated the kitchen, making both of them hungry.

Not soon after, their families came down one by one to enjoy breakfast together and the once silent kitchen was filled with animated chatter. Hana was busy feeding Somi, while Mina complimented Jihoon nonstop on his cooking skills.

“Eommeoni, these are so easy to make..” He replied, a sheepish expression on face, while feeling flattered from Mina’s compliments.

“Aniyo, I’ve never tasted pancakes like this before.” The older woman insisted, as she helped herself to another pancake.

Jinwoo nudged her, reminding her to take it easy on the carbs because she’s been asked by her doctor to watch her sugar intake.

“Eomma, please listen..” Jieun piled on, seeing Mina take another pancake. She finds it funny how her mother scolds her when she doesn’t eat healthy but does the same thing herself.

As soon as they finished eating, everyone got ready to leave for the airport.

“Are you sure you’re not coming back with us?” Jinwoo asked Jieun for the nth time, giving Jihoon stern looks as he waited for her to respond.

“I’ll be fine. We need to meet some friends here first then fly back together.” She replied, squeezing his father’s hand once more before kissing him and her mother goodbye.

They both turned to say goodbye to Hana, Minho and Somi, who started crying.

“It’s alright, we’re going to see them again.” Said Hana as she tried to soothe the crying child.

Jihoon spread out his arms, asking Somi to give him a hug before they leave and the little girl immediately obliged. Enclosing her in a tight hug, Jihoon kissed her cheek, promising to visit them in Busan soon. “Jihoon samchon will see you soon, okay?”

Tears still welled in Somi’s eyes, but she was listening intently to what her uncle was saying, as if memorizing every word.

“You want to say goodbye?” He asked Jieun who was beside him, looking sad as she watched Somi dread to leave Jeju and the company of the people she’s been with during the week.

When she nodded, Jihoon slowly let her take Somi into her arms so she can properly say goodbye.

“I’m going to miss you.” She whispered, as Somi blinked at her, looking laser focused on what she’s saying. “Be a good girl, alright? Samchon and I will teach how to dance when we come visit.”

A wide smile broke out on Somi’s face when she heard the word “dance”. Jieun shot him a look, giving him a warm feeling from the inside.

“Promise?” Somi asked, in between subsiding sobs.

“Promise.” Answered both of them, in unison. Somi looked pleased to know that she’s going to see her aunt and uncle soon, going back to her mother’s arms, looking appeased.

When they were driving back, Jieun was silent, probably already missing the chatter of their loved ones. He turned to gaze at her momentarily when he felt her rest her head on his shoulder, sighing.

“Miss them already?”

“Yeah.” She raised her head a little to catch his eye. ”It’s strange, isnt’t it? The older we get the closer we become with our families. I used to really dread having my mother most of the time because she nags a lot. But now, I think about them more.”

He flashed her a somber smile, relating to all the things she said. Even his relationship with his father developed into a quiet fondness over time, and it was a treat to have both families together for his special day.

“Thanks, oppa.” She drew closer, and weaved her fingers through his free hand. ”I know it was your birthday, but having all of our families together made me happy.”

He squeezed her hand, letting the moment grow before answering. “That’s all I want to hear.”

She grinned at him, adding how he’s always spoiled her.

“Well, when we get married, events like that will be a regular thing. I’m just glad that our families get along well.”

Jieun was still smiling at him when he turned to look at her, but there was a thoughtful expression on her face. He was waiting for her to say something but silence filled the car until they got to the restaurant where they’re meeting Hongchul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter