Pride

Oppa! [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jieun was stretching her arms when the padded sound of footsteps came. She knew there was a chance that Jihoon might not show up, but she counted on the ways that she knew him, and she was right.

He was too intrigued to ignore her invitation, and so here he is, in all black exercise gear and a ratty baseball cap obscuring his hair and his face. 

“You came,” she said.

He replied with a lazy shrug, adding, “Might as well, since I’m going to exercise anyways.” 

Jieun nodded. Now she has to explain what she has in mind which started feeling silly.

Truth be told, after her little speech of frustration last night, when the annoyance waned, she had misgivings about going through with this. A part of her wished she just endured it, thinking the next day could be better. But now, there’s a tall man waiting on what she has to say, and her stupid pride just won’t let her back down.

“Let’s decide this fair and square. Three bets - the one who wins 2 out 3 gets dibs on their favorite spots in Sunrock and the town.” She explained. 

She heard Jihoon give out a laugh-snort.

“Okay..” There was still laughter in his voice. “So, what’s the first bet?”

“Running.” 

She showed him the area that both of them need to cover, which is just around the beach and back to the Sunrock arch. 

“Whoever gets there first wins.” 

Jihoon adjusted his cap, moving it a little so that he can clearly see. He looked at her squarely, studying her. 

“Are you sure about that?” He asked, his eyes unflinching.

She rolled her eyes. “Yes.”

“So I decide the next bet?”

“Yup.”

He nodded, crossing his arms over his chest. “If I win you’ll stop acting like you own this place and stay away from me?”

She felt her blood pressure rise at how nonchalantly he said those words. She suddenly felt grateful that she’s no longer dating him. Instead of getting worked up, she counted to ten inside her head and replied, “Yes.”

But don’t be too sure,  oppa. I’ve had two years of unfailing cardio routine - I'm pretty sure I can run faster than you. 

She remembered back when they played football together - how Jihoon had strength but for some reason lacked coordination, especially when he needed to weave through obstacles. What Jihoon didn’t know is that she picked a route which will surely make a huge guy like him struggle. 

“So?” She asked, confirming if Jihoon was up for it. 

“Okay, whatever floats your boat.” 

She was tempted to give him a side-eye, but she just let his passive aggressive comment slide. 

Both of them got ready to start running, waiting for the timer that Jieun set to sound off. When it did, Jieun didn’t spare the tall guy beside her a glance, and ran as if her entire life depended on it. She knew exactly what to do: bring as much pace as she can from the onset so that Jihoon will not be able to keep up with her. 

And it worked.

Glancing momentarily to the side, she noticed that Jihoon was way behind her, especially after she got past him in the garden near the beach. She had to weave through huge trees, but she was able to do it without much difficulty. 

When she could almost see the archway, a grin broke out on her face. 

She screamed at the top of her lungs, making her legs work overtime, not slacking off until she’s finally made it to the end. 

Jihoon had a contorted look of frustration on his face when he saw that she got to the spot first. He looked so disappointed, she had to stop herself from giggling.

They were both breathing heavily and sweating, but Jieun was beaming. 

“Can you stop gloating?” He said sourly.

She laughed, replying, “I can’t help it…you were so sure of yourself earlier, haha!” 

Jihoon was still frowning when he said, “I get to choose the next one, so you shouldn’t celebrate just yet.”

Jieun stifled a laugh when he stormed off. When she went back to her room, she was beaming and giggling, unable to shake off the image of Jihoon’s frown from her mind. 

He really is a sore loser..and he hasn’t changed!

Just as she was going to take a shower, her phone pinged. It was a message from her group chat with Inna and Si Eon.

There was a cute gif of an apologetic bear from the latter, and it reminded her that she asked him to call her. She plans to give him an earful about her current awkward situation with Jihoon.

Messages from the GC:

Si Eon: I’m so sorry, Jieun.

Jieun: 😡😡

Inna: Wait…what’s happening?

Jieun: Jihoon oppa is here.

Inna: WHAT??? IN CORFU??

Jieun: Yes…and in Sunrock. On the same floor as me. 

Inna: 🤯

Si Eon: It wasn’t intentional, I promise!

Jieun: Call me. 

When Si Eon’s name sprung up on her screen, she immediately accepted the call. 

“That time when we gave you your vacation..and Jihoon’s sudden request to fly into Corfu and stay at my cousin’s resort were a month apart, and my fried brains completely lost track of these things…I’m so sorry, Jieun.”

Si Eon’s words were hurried, his voice apologetic. Jieun felt sorry for her friend because his life has been very hectic since his baby daughter was born, his second child. The last time they spoke he was so out of it. Apparently, he hasn’t been sleeping much. 

She gave out a deep sigh before replying.

“It’s fine…I was just surprised..and of course now it’s really bad between us.”

“What happened?” Si Eon asked, sounding concerned.

“Ugh. I don’t know. He and I shouldn’t be in the same place at once.”

She heard Si Eon sigh on the other line. “I’ll try to work out something with Chul..”

“No, oppa. We’re trying to fix it. Hopefully soon, I won’t have to see him again.”

She tried to reassure Si Eon, feeling that he’s burdened with his new baby as it is and she didn’t want to add to his stress.

**

Gray raised both eyebrows at Chuck when she got a soft nudge on the elbow. 

“What?” She mouthed.

Chuck responded by pointing his lips towards the grumpy person in front of them.

They were having breakfast in town and Jihoon was in a less than sunny mood, even pushing around the bits and pieces of pancake on his plate, which is so unlike him.

Gray cleared .

“Jihoon, Chuck and I are planning on going to the ranch tomorrow. Would you like to join us?”

“Hmmm…is that the one with the olive press?” The grumpy Jihoon asked. His voice sounded uninterested. 

“Yup. We thought you’d want to come with…since you’re into all that gourmet, healthy living kind of thing.” Chuck added, wanting to get his friend out of the funk he’s in. 

Jihoon paused, thinking the invitation through.

“Oh, and it’s a ranch so we can go horse riding and stuff. I’m pretty excited to do that..I was watching Nope last night and I thought riding on horses would be cool.” Gray excitedly mentioned. 

Jihoon was not exactly in the mood to go and see how olive oil is made, maybe another day.

But horse riding. Hmm.

When a brilliant idea suddenly came to mind, a mischievous grin started breaking out on his face.

“I think I will. If you can convince Jieun to join us.”

Gray gave him a funny look. Nevertheless, she took out her phone and dialled Jieun’s number. She even mentioned that it’s perfect because they owe Jieun a nice meal for giving her troubles these past couple of days.

Jihoon looked on as Gray talked to Jieun on the phone. When she was about to hang up, he asked to talk to Jieun.

“Oh wait….someone wants to talk to you…” She reluctantly handed her phone over to Jihoon, still staring at him as if he’s grown another eye on his face.

“Hey. I wanted you to come because I know which bet we’ll do next. See you!” He immediately returned the phone, not minding Jieun’s protests over the phone. He can tell that she’s nervous and that made him smile.

Chuck gave him a teasing look. “What was that about? So you’re talking to her now?”

“Not like that…it’s complicated, and honestly a little silly.” 

Chuck and Gray lean in closer, not letting it go until he spills whatever it is that’s happening between him and Jieun.

“We’re..having a bet.” The thing felt sillier when he said it out loud. 

When he explained it further, Gray and Chuck had a look mixed with intrigue and amusement.

“Bet?”

He nodded. The two looked at him closely when he explained everything

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter