Chapter Twenty Four

Lock Me Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My usual team crowded over me as we prepared for the wedding. Mine and Byul’s wedding. My manager, Yejun, my stylist, Bona, my hair stylists, Sungmin and Jungmo, and my makeup artist, Minju. My team except for my manager were probably more excited than me at this wedding. My manager was more nervous than me. She’s been constantly checking on the venue and would always come back with the same answer.

‘The venue looks wonderful. You have nothing to worry, Hyejin-ah’

And yet she worries about it and would still check on it. Seeing her nervousness eases my own nerves. Also, the rest of my team’s excitement is so contagious. It buried my nerves as I enjoyed and relaxed while they’re making me pretty.

The knock on the door made me open my eyes. From the mirror in front of me, I watched Yejun walk to the door and open it.

“Can we disturb her for a while?”

My ears perked up when I heard my older sister’s voice. “Please let them in!” I told Yejun and smiled when Hyunjoo and Hajoon walked inside my room. “Where are the three little piggies?” I asked them.

My sisters walked towards me and stayed on the side since my teams surrounded me. They couldn’t get closer. Sungmin and Jungmo were dealing with my hair behind me while Minju was dealing with my makeup in front of me. They both were already wearing their burgundy dresses, which is the motif of the wedding.

It was Byul who picked the color. Since I wanted her to wear a suit, she wanted me to wear a white gown. Her suit would be fancy looking but matched the color of our motif. She wanted for me to be the only one wearing white in a sea of burgundy dresses and suits. She also had another white gown for me later for the reception. The one I will be wearing for the ceremony would be too heavy to wear for the entire celebration.

“They wanted to roam around the place first so we left them with their fathers while we checked on you,” Hyunjoo answered. “How are you feeling?”

I grinned and looked up while Minju tilted my head up for my eyeliner. “Excited” I whispered, holding my breath when I felt the tip of the brush right below my eyes.

“Excited…” Minjun said in a singsong voice, making everyone laugh softly except for me and Minjun.

I only smiled while Minjun bit her bottom lip, focused on perfecting my eyeliner.

“Aren’t you nervous?” Hajoon asked.

I let Minju finish the eyeliner on my left eye before I lightly shook my head. I pointed behind me and said, “Yejun is even more nervous than me. She’s been running around to check on the venue”

“I bet she’s itching to check the venue again” Jungmo whispered behind me while me and my team laughed at what he said.

“I heard that” Yejun said from way behind us.

Minju was about to do my right eyeliner but stopped first to laugh after hearing Yejun. Even my hair stylists paused on what they were doing to laugh. When all of us calmed down, Minjun, Sungmin, and Jungmo resumed on their tasks. I tried not to move too much for them.

“Have you seen Byul?” I asked my sisters.

“We haven’t checked on her yet”

“I heard they held a toast to every guest that will visit her room” Hajoon said, which made me pout and furrow my eyebrows.

“Is she trying to get drunk before our wedding?”

“No… Her friends are trying to get her drunk before your wedding” Hajoon corrected, laughing at me when my eyebrows twitched, clearly not liking what’s happening in her room already.

“Go check on her please….”

“She has a higher alcohol tolerance than you” Hyunwoo reminded me.

“Still… They always do stupid things with her friends when they’re drunk and together” I said before I puckered my lips for Minjun when she was about to apply my lipstick. When Minjun was done, I pressed on my lips and popped them several times to spread the lipstick as I turned to my sisters. “She’d be scared if it came from you both. Maybe she’ll behave”

A loud knock came on my door again, stopping my sisters to respond. Whoever it was didn’t wait for the door to be opened from any of us inside and just pushed it open.

“Shot with the bride before the start of the wedding!” Hyori screamed while lifting a bottle of champagne as she stepped inside the room.

Jessi and Junghwa followed behind her and kicked the door close. They were also carrying flute glasses with them. Both of them were already wearing their burgundy dresses while screaming along with Hyori, hyping up the room.

Both of my hair stylists screamed along with my friends. Minjun and Bona clapped with them while looking both interested in having a shot as well. Even Yejun who looked so nervous earlier laughed and loved the energy my friends brought in the room. My sisters love my friends and whatever they initiate, they’d always ride along. Same goes for my friends to my sisters.

“Shot! Shot! Shot! Shot!”

They all cheered while I closed my eyes and sighed heavily, thinking that something more chaotic than this was happening in Byul’s room. And my friends wouldn’t stop shouting until I agreed. I had to agree.

Jessi and Hyori were pouring champagne on the flutes and distributed it to my team and my sisters. Right before we were about to take the shot, Wheein, Yong, and Mikey knocked on the door wearing their burgundy outfits. Wheein and Yong wore dresses while Mikey looked so sharp and cute in his suit. Hyori offered them drinks and poured water on Mikey’s flute. There were no more flutes left so she offered the bottle to me. My hair stylists abandoned my hair for a second for the toast. All of us gathered in a circle in the middle of the room.

“I thought we’d be drinking in Byul’s room only,” Wheein said with a giggle while my eyes snapped to her.

“So they’re really drinking there too?”

“Are you not supposed to know that?” Wheein asked, smiling sheepishly while Mikey laughed at her Mom.

“She’s not supposed to do that”

“Says the one who’s holding a champagne bottle” Bona said, pointing at the champagne bottle in my hand.

I rolled my eyes at them but still ended up smiling as they laughed at me. “We’re already starting with the alcohol before the wedding has even begun” I mumbled under my breath.

“You are supposed to start with a drink before the wedding” Hyori said and I couldn’t help but nod because we were also drinking at her wedding.

Hyori was supposed to start the toast but stopped when we heard Mikey’s adorable voice.

“What are we doing?” Mikey asked his parents.

“We’re making a toast, Mikey” Yong explained to her son. “To celebrate Auntie Jinnie and Byulyi’s wedding”

“Wedding? Mom and Mommy too?”

Yong shook her as she said, “Your Mom and I are already married”

Mikey scrunched up his eyebrows and pouted at her Mommy. He then shook his head, almost spilling water from his flute from his movements. “I don’t remember. I want to see Mom and Mommy’s wedding too”

We all smiled at him but his parents had the widest smiles for him.

“We’ll talk about it later, okay? Mommy and Mom will show you our wedding later. Let’s toast for Auntie Jinnie and Auntie Byulyi first” Yong said while Wheein Mikey’s hair, combing it perfectly with her hand.

“Okay…. What to do?”

“Raise your glass, Mikey. Then when we shout ‘cheers’, you shout it too before we drink from our glasses” Junghwa instructed with a tender smile on her face.

“Okay” Mikey said as he nodded his head.

“Let’s go!” Jessi exclaimed, startling Mikey a little bit.

They all raised their glasses. I raised my bottle of champagne. All eyes turned to me while Hyori led the toast.

“To Byulyi and Hyejin’s wedding. May they have a fruitful wedding and an even more fruitful married life. May they stay together through struggles and triumphs. And may they have a million kids together”

“A million?!” I exclaimed, eyes widening at Hyori.

Hyori ignored my protests and just smiled at me before she shouted, “Cheers!”

“Cheers!”

“Cheers!” Mikey shouted along.

All of them downed their glasses in one go.

I drank straight from the bottle, careful not to ruin my lipstick and spill on myself and on the robe I was wearing. My eyes shut tightly when the warmth from the alcohol traveled from my throat down to my esophagus.

“Shot! Shot! Shot!” They all cheered for me to finish the entire bottle.

I could even distinguish Mikey’s voice along with their voices.

Even when I was struggling, I granted their request and emptied the bottle of champagne. I groaned and burped from the liquid before I released a heavy sigh. I raised the bottle and turned it upside down just to prove to them that I emptied it.

A knock on the door was heard while Wheein, the one closest to the door, went to open it.

“We heard people screaming shots over here!”

I closed my eyes and groaned when I saw Byul’s friends entering my room with two bottles of wine this time.

Sandeul, who was leading his friends in, brought the bottles with him. Hani, Jin, Baro, and Ken brought wine glasses with them. They invited themselves in while my sisters, friends, and my team looked so eager and friendly as they asked them to join us.

“Shot! Shot! Shot!”

They started shouting all over again, more loudly this time since there were more people in the room.

“This will be the third time I’ll be drinking. The wedding hasn’t even started yet” Yong mumbled beside me while I nodded in agreement.

I dragged my hair stylists back to the vanity table and asked them to finish my hair.

Glasses of red wine were now being passed around as I sat back on my chair. From the corner of my eye, I could see Yong sitting close to my side. She was holding a glass of red wine but she passed it to Wheein because she didn’t want to get drunk just yet. Then she sat Mikey on her lap as they watched everyone else holding a glass of wine.

My hair stylists continued to do my hair while a glass appeared on the table in front of me.

“The bride should have a drink too!” Hani said, leaving me before I could even protest and joined the people behind me.

It was Sandeul who initiated the toast this time and from my chair, I watched them all raise their glasses.

“Bride! Raise your glass up too!” Jessi shouted behind me, prompting me to lift my glass up while making sure that I wouldn’t spill on myself. “Very good!”

“These people will be the death of me and Byul” I whispered under my breath.

They might have drank several glasses already. And yet, they still looked way too sober. Unlike Yong who gave up already. She looked like she was already tired from all the drinking.

“To the brides!” Sandeul chanted.

“To the brides!” everyone followed along.

“To their future family!”

“To their future family!”

“To a wonderful married life!”

“To a wonderful married life!”

“To Hyejin, the only person who could make Byul kneel in front of her!” Sandeul shouted.

And instead of the rest of them following what Sandeul said, it cracked them all up. My stylists and I were also laughing at what he said. The entire room was filled with loud and happy laughter.

“That is true though. We still have the CCTV footage of Byul kneeling in front of Hyejin when Hyejin first visited the company. She’d be embarrassed seeing that footage so we’re going to use that to blackmail her” Sandeul explained.

“Hyejin! Don’t tell Byul about this!” Hani inserted while I softly giggled at them.

“I hate to break it to all of you, but Byul already knows that. She doesn’t feel threatened with that at all”

“Even when we spread the video?” Jin asked in disbelief.

“Yup!”

“Oh, dang it!” Sandeul said while snapping his fingers. “Anyways, cheers!”

“Cheers!”

When my hair was finally done, I grabbed my glass of red wine and only took a sip of it. Then I passed it to Hajoon because I might not be able to walk straight down the aisle later if I finished it.

Byul’s friends approached me and shook my hand to congratulate me. When I asked them who was left with Byul in her room, they told me that her family were there with her. After a little chit chat, they all decided to head back to Byul’s room. My sisters went with Byul’s friends since they weren’t able to check on her yet. My friends and the Kims headed to the venue to prepare. But before I let the Kims go, I asked Mikey if his Auntie Jinnie was already pretty.

He had a huge smile on as he gave me thumbs up. “Pretty! Really Pretty!” he said, nodding his head vigorously.

Once my look was already Mikey-approved, they head out to the venue and wait there until the ceremony starts.

Bona and Yejun were helping me in my gown when my parents came into my room.

“Hey…” I smiled at them when Bona, Sungmin and Jungmo were all over me to fix the gown and my hair. Minjun was standing close by to assess my makeup.

“You looked beautiful, Hyejin-ah” Mom said while I sadly smiled at her when I heard her voice shaking.

“Please don’t cry yet, Mom. The ceremony hasn’t even started yet”

“I try not to”

I chuckled at her before I turned to Dad who was just standing silently beside Mom. “What do you think?” I asked him.

He smiled at me as he whispered, “I can’t believe our baby’s about to get married already”

“Not you too” I whined at him, slightly pouting my lips. “Don’t cry or else I will cry and Minjun will scold me for ruining my makeup before the ceremony. You know I can’t stop myself from crying if I see you two cry”

“Sorry…” both of them apologized while I smiled at them.

Bona helped me to my heels last. My team stepped back and ran their hands from my head to my toes. Hums of content and satisfaction could be heard from them as they nodded their heads.

That just means I’m done changing already. All I have to do now is wait.

To cut the waiting, Byul’s photographer friend, Suhyun, came into my room and took photos of me. Yejun handed me the bouquet of colorful roses to pose in front of Suhyun. I did several shots by myself with some candid ones. Then I took pictures with my parents and with my team.

I was standing close to Suhyun to view the photos on her camera when there was a commotion on the hallway outside my room.

“Byulyi! Get back here!”

That’s Seulgi’s voice, a little bit suppressed from the walls around us.

My eyebrows furrowed when I heard Byul’s name and Seulgi shouting in the hallway. Did something happen?

“This will be quick!”

My eyebrows rose up as I directed my gaze on the door when I heard Byul’s voice. It might not be clear but I know my fiancée’s voice. That was definitely her.

The door in my room was harshly pushed open, startling all of us. Byul hurriedly went inside the room and closed the door behind her before locking it.

What the is she doing? Is she drunk?

She turned around and spotted my parents first. She deeply bowed at them before she said, “I’m really sorry for this Mr. and Mrs. Ahn. I know I shouldn’t come here but Hyejin does my neckties. I don’t want anyone else to do them for me except her”

“I hope Hyejin gets mad at you!” Seulgi shouted from the outside, giving up on stopping her sister since she’s escaped already.

I sighed heavily before I slowly walked towards her.

She heard heels clacking on the carpeted floor and instantly stood straight. Her eyebrows shot up when she saw me walking towards her. Her eyes nervously bounced to either one of mine while she shut , willingly accepting scolding from me.

But I wasn’t about to scold her. She did warn me about this the other day. I didn’t expect she’d actually do it. She’s really stupid sometimes.

I reached for her shirt’s collar and unfolded it. “You made it here”

She released a deep sigh of relief while her eyes softened at me. She chuckled lightly as she whispered, “I told you I will find a way”

I shook my head while a tiny smirk was playing on my lips. I did her tie carefully and aimed to perfect it for our special day today.

“How did you manage to escape your sisters?”

Her giggles made me smile as she said, “I went to the bathroom because I was faking being sick. And then out of nowhere, I mad dashed from the bathroom to the door and then ran the hallways until I’d reach your room. They were in heels so it was hard for them to chase me”

I pinched her cheek while she proudly grinned at me. “You’re so stupid sometimes”

“Thank you” she said, making me giggle.

“I heard you were drinking in your room. I hope you aren’t drunk before our wedding even starts”

“I should say the same thing to you. My friends said you drank a full bottle of champagne before they got here bringing wine. And you drank the wine they brought here too” she said, sounding impressed, which she shouldn’t.

“My friends ran out of flute for the champagne so they gave me the bottle. I only took a teeny tiny sip of the wine before I passed it to my sisters”

“Hmm...” Her hands landed on my waist before she whispered, “You’re so beautiful, Jin”

I tightened her tie and folded her collar before I dragged my eyes to her. “Thank you. You look so beautiful yourself” I whispered, smiling at the light blush on her cheeks. I straightened her tie and then buttoned her vest.

“I have to stop myself from kissing you now, right? I’m not allowed to kiss you yet”

I straightened her vest and fixed her coat before buttoning the topmost button. Then I leaned forward and lightly pressed a kiss on her cheek, making sure that my lipstick wouldn’t be on her. I held her shoulders next and turned her around before I started pushing her out of my room.

“Go away… Wait for me at the very front and behave, Mansaeng.” I opened the door for her and led her out while I stayed inside my room.

She gave me her widest smile as she nodded at me. “Yes, babe!” She waved at my parents inside the room and said, “Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Ahn. I’ll see you later.” She directed her gaze back to me again and flashed me her smile, her dimples showing up. “See you later” she said and waved at me as she skipped on her way back to her room. “I love you, Jin!”

“Behave!”

“I will!”

“I love you too!” I said to her before I closed the door. “So troublesome…” I whispered under my breath and shook my head while a wide smile escaped out of my lips, unable to stop it myself.

 

Mom and Dad accompanied me as we headed to the venue. They’d be walking me down the aisle while Byul and her Dad would wait for me at the front. My nieces and Hana would be showering the center aisle with flowers before I walk to meet Byul and her Dad at the front.

“Are you nervous?” my Mom asked me as we headed to the gardens.

We also held our wedding in Hawaii but in the Haiku Gardens and not on the beach. Byul picked the place and thought that we’ll just go straight to our honeymoon in the beaches after the wedding. I had a glimpse of the garden yesterday and they really filled the whole place with colorful flowers. The bouquet in my hands was like the garden on a smaller scale.

I shook my head and said, “No… I might cry later, especially if I see you two cry, but I’m more excited than nervous”

“Your Dad’s about to cry”

I turned to look at my Dad on my right and noticed how he was keeping quiet since we left my room earlier. His lips were pursed and he looked obviously struggling to fight his tears from showing up. I leaned towards him while I softly giggled at his struggles.

“Don’t cry, Daddy”

“I’ll try not to,” he said, clearing his throat while blinking his eyes several times. “I won’t cry” he said, convincing himself more than he’s convincing me and Mom.

I leaned forward to kiss his cheek before I looked away. I know I will cry later but I don’t want to ruin my makeup when the ceremony has just started. Not just yet. Maybe later when we were saying our ‘I dos’ or when we’re reading our vows.

When we reached the gardens, I could already hear soft music as we walked towards the venue. We turned around the corner and descended a flight of stairs before heading straight again. The music has gotten a little louder this time. My parents and I stopped right before the arc of roses and leaves. We were waiting for our wedding coordinator to signal us to show up.

After a few short moments, Miss Alaina, our wedding coordinator, popped her head to the side and smiled at us. “You’re up!” she said before she disappeared almost as fast as she showed up.

Dad cleared his throat before he said, “Let’s go”

With Mom and Dad on either side of me, we slowly walked towards the arc and revealed ourselves. Brown wooden chairs with white cushions were arranged to create the center and side aisles towards the platform. Vines of green leaves with colorful roses hung above us, providing us shade frkm the sun, and columns of colorful roses were spread all over the venue. At the very front, there was a three-step platform, a pond, and a mini waterfall. The water from the falls was soft enough to soothe our ears but not loud to drown our voices. The aisle was filled with white petals from the ones my nieces and Hana dropped before we entered the wedding venue.

All of our guests stood up when they saw me. Our guests ranged from mine and Byul’s families, our friends, some of our colleagues, and both our styling teams. Since I have my own team, only Byul hired a private team to style her today.

I glanced up towards Byul and her Dad, waiting right down the platform. I smiled when I saw her blinking her eyes rapidly, fighting her tears as she breathed heavily. The sight of her trying not to cry triggered my own tears. I looked away as we slowly made our way to the center so I wouldn’t cry just yet.

I could hear my nieces and Mikey playing on the side of the garden. From the corners of my eyes, I could see familiar faces and feel their presence as well. I could also spot the cameras everywhere that were there to take pictures and cover the entire wedding ceremony. But my eyes were directly on Byul. Only at Byul. For the entire walk in the aisle, I focused on Byul. It was one thing to see her earlier in her suit and all glammed up for our wedding and another thing to see her waiting for me at the end of the aisle.

I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter