Chapter Two

Lock Me Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mom!”

I held the phone with my one hand while I reached for my bus card in my bag. I fell in line along with the other passengers before stepping inside the bus. I swiped my card and placed it back in my bag. Then I reached for the nearest handrail while waiting for Mom to respond.

“Mom, can you hear me?” I asked, eyebrows furrowing and lips slightly pouting.

“Hyejin-ah…”

My face instantly broke into a wide smile when I heard my Dad’s voice.

“Dad!” I excitedly said, unbothered by the passengers who spared me a glance due to my loud voice. “Where’s Mom?”

“She’s busy preparing dinner. How are you, Hyejin-ah? When will you visit us? How was your trip? How was your boss’ wedding?”

I giggled at the series of questions Dad asked me, never allowing me to answer. “I miss you too, Dad.” I smiled when I heard him laughing softly. “I’m doing fine. I still don’t have work this week so I might visit you and Mom soon too. My trip was fine, Dad. I had a lot of fun at the beach.” It was also weird but they don’t need to know that. “What was your other question?”

“Your boss’ wedding. How was it?”

“The wedding…” I whispered, nodding my head absentmindedly. “It was wonderful and very meaningful to them too”

My family had no idea about my secret crush towards Wheein that has somehow evolved and went deeper over the course that I’ve been following her. It even went so far as probably loving her when I worked with her. They had no idea the emotional torture I put myself for attending that wedding.

But come to think of it, that spoiled rich has been a good distraction. It was good to divert that emotional frustration into anger and pour it on her.

“Okay… Have you had dinner already?” Dad asked.

“I’m on my way to Junghwa’s house right now. I’m meeting the others there too”

“Hanging out with your other older sisters?” Dad asked with a gentle laugh, making me smile.

I have two biological older sisters. Both of them have their own family already. I have two nieces from my oldest sister and one from my second oldest sister. I used to visit them all the time when I was working with Wheein. Now, it’s a lot harder because of how busy I am as Yong’s EA.

And then there’s the other older sisters that my father’s talking about. These are the people I met in Seoul, have gotten to know, and have been hanging out with if everyone's available. And just like in my family’s house, I’m also the youngest among all four of us.

Right now, I’m heading to Junghwa’s house to eat dinner with her, Hyori and Jessi. I’m also bringing with me souvenirs I bought for them. The ones I have for my family are still in my apartment. I’ll be bringing it with me when I visit them in Jeonju this weekend.

“Yup! We’ll be catching up tonight”

I heard Mom’s faint voice over Dad’s end. I pushed the phone closer to my ear while my eyebrows furrowed, straining to hear what Mom said.

“Your Mom said not to drink too much because you can’t handle your alcohol”

I closed my eyes and softly groaned, hearing Dad’s laughter. I did promise not to drink too much after that incident with the Moon’s heir but she’s not here tonight. I’m sure I wouldn’t do that something too dumb tonight. I’m also planning to tell Junghwa, Hyori, and Jessi the incident so there’s no need for me to watch over my words. There’s also no way I could hide something from either my family or friends. By telling my friends, I don’t have to pressure myself into hiding it, which might result in accidentally slipping it to my family. And the last people that needed to know about it is my family.

“While I say to just stay in Junghwa’s place. There’s no way you’ll be sober tonight, especially if you’re with them”

I laughed at what Dad said, hearing him laughing as well while Mom’s scolding him over his loud voice. “I already told Junghwa that I’ll be sleeping there tonight” I said to Dad, making him laugh louder.

When it’s almost my stop, I told my Dad that I had to get off the bus. Mom took the phone from him and said a couple of words to me. I managed to get out of the bus along with the other passengers, keeping my phone close to my ear, the paper bag I’m holding and my bag to my body. Then I headed to where Junghwa’s house is while I listened to Mom’s reminders. I promised to visit them soon before we said goodbye.

It was a little crowded near the bust stop so I did my best dodging everyone while walking fast to reach the less crowded street. I ducked my head with my eyes trained on the road, occasionally bowing at anyone I passed by to greet them back.

I slowed down my pace when I was near Junghwa’s apartment complex. This time, I was able to enjoy the night air as I continued to walk. I tilted my head up and slightly frowned when it’s too difficult to see the stars from this part of Seoul. One thing that I missed about being at the beach.

Once I reached Junghwa’s place, I rang the doorbell and then used the paper bag to cover my face. She’d be confused at first but if she’ll notice my nail extensions, she’ll recognize it’s me. I snickered when I could hear faint voices coming from the other side of the door. I tried to suppress my giggles when I could hear Jessi’s loud voice. I think all three of them are already here despite the time still being early for dinner.

“Coming!”

That’s definitely Junghwa’s voice.

I used both of my hands to hold the paper bag and tried to cover my long nails from them, which was really impossible because of how long they are. Then I heard some more voices, a little closer now, before I heard the doorknob turning and the door opening.

There was a silent pause before I peeked from behind the paper bag. I saw all three confused faces before I pulled the bag down, revealing the rest of my face and my widest smile,

“It’s me!” I excitedly said while they instantly smiled when they saw me.

I was then engulfed in tight hugs and I could barely distinguish their words because their words were overlapping against each other. They kissed my cheek and I tried to return them while feeling hands ruining my wavy locks. The paper bag was snatched from my hand as I was dragged inside Junghwa’s apartment. I stumbled as I tried to remove my shoes while they constantly pulled on my arm.

“How are you? How was your trip?” Junghwa said, sounding both concerned and excited to see me.

“Come in! Junghwa prepared a lot. I’m sure you’re hungry. You brought a lot for us. I’m sure you had fun!” This came from Hyori, who’s already rummaging inside the paper bag of souvenirs. She sounded and marched like she owns the place.

Jessi was the one dragging my arm while patting my back. “Did you cry when you saw the love of your life getting married? I told you to toughen up, right? You shouldn’t cry, Hyejin-ah. There are a lot of people out there. I’m sure someone’s out there for you”

And yup! They know about my affections for Wheein. It’s the reason why they arranged this meeting the moment I told them that I’m back to Korea already. They’re concerns warm up my heart. My family and my friends would never fail to offer consolation when I needed one.

“You look like you have a lovely tan. You must’ve spent a lot of time in the beach”

“I saw the pictures you sent! You looked gorgeous in them. Who took the pictures?”

“Did you buy me a hand cream, Hyejin-ah?”

“How does it feel to live a luxurious life, Hyejin?”

Jessi slightly jumped on her heels as we headed to the dining table while clapping her hands. “Ohh… Luxurious life. Must be nice!”

A lot was said but all I could do was laugh at them. I never answered their questions. It was impossible with all of them talking at the same time. They were all so excited to see me. It’s as if I was away for more than a week. Despite all the chaos, I was already having fun.

“Hyejin! Tell us something. You’re only laughing this whole time!” Hyori urged me.

“How can I answer you? You’re all talking at the same time” I answered, still giggling at them.

“Why don’t you tell us everything over dinner?” Junghwa suggested while all three of us agreed.

The four of us gathered around the dining table. We were silent for a while as we devoured all the food Junghwa prepared for us. Everyone’s enthusiasm to hear from me was overpowered by hunger. Yes, we unite through food and would probably be the only thing that could silence all four of us.

“How were you during the wedding?” Junghwa asked, always concerned.

I shrugged as I continued to chew on my food, taking my time before answering her question.

She frowned at me while I smiled at her as I reached for my glass of water.

I took a sip of my water first, having all three pairs of eyes and ears on me. “I was surprisingly fine”

“Not slightly bitter at all?” Jessi asked, raising an eyebrow at me, challenging me.

I immediately shook my head as I said, “I wasn’t bitter”

“You just wished it was you there?” Hyori asked.

I nodded at that while they frowned at me. I shook my hand, trying to ease their worries, and giggled at the concerns written all over their faces. “Of course, I wish it was me but I never desire to break their relationship. I’m happy for them”

My eyes wandered at all three of them but pouted when they looked so unconvinced. “Ah… Really! I really am happy for them!”

They all suddenly laughed while Hyori said, “Then don’t sound so defensive!”

“Then don’t tease!” I argued while they all laughed a little louder.

I couldn’t help but smile at them before we all went back to eating. Junghwa brought out melons and the bingsoo that Hyori brought. Jessi went to the refrigerator to grab beers and soju. Beer and soju. I’ll definitely be plopping my body on the living room couch later. I already predicted that seeing how we’ll be mixing drinks tonight.

They asked me about my trip and I answered them all honestly. They also told me how they were while I was aways. Junghwa’s house was full of laughter and our loud voices. It has always been like this if all four of us gathered. We never left the dining table as we’re slowly loosening up from the alcohol.

After two cans of beer, we’re now drinking soju. I could barely pronounce my friends properly. I think Junghwa, who’s sitting across from me, was slightly swaying sideways in my vision. If I stand up later, I might sway on my feet. But so far, I can still handle myself.

“By the way, who took your pictures?” Jessi asked, directing her question to me.

“The pictures?” I asked, processing the question unnecessarily longer because of the alcohol in my question already.

Hyori passed me a glass of soju after refilling. I drank it straight away, groaning from the taste and putting even more alcohol in my system.

I glanced at Jessi when she was staring at me. I blinked my eyes a couple of times before I finally remembered why she’s looking at me.

“The pictures! Yes, yes. Who took them?” I asked while she laughed at me, making me giggle.

“Yes. Answer the question!”

“Byul…” I said, slurring her name a little bit. “She took them”

“The Moon heir?” Junghwa asked and I nodded at her.

“Didn’t you hate each other?” Hyori asked and I nodded at her again.

“She’s good but she only sent me the good ones. Not the best ones”

For whatever reason she has, I have no idea. I was looking forward to looking at all of the pictures but she only sent me seven pictures. I never get the chance to ask her why. I was busy dodging her and making sure that we wouldn’t be seeing each other for the rest of the week I stayed there.

“Didn’t you hate each other?” Jessi asked.

I nodded and giggled when she asked the same question as Hyori.

“Something happened that she suddenly became so kind to take your pictures?”

“Something did…” I whispered, my voice dying down when they all leaned closer towards me, looking so eager.

“What?!”

“What happened?”

“Tell us already!”

Their voices mixed in my ears while I was having a hard time matching the movement of their lips with the words they’re saying. After all, they’re all swaying sideways in my vision.

“Calm down” I whispered, barely saying the words out as I laughed at them.

When I was able to breathe evenly, I proceeded to tell them everything I could remember. How Byul helped me take pictures, the night of the wedding, her apology, and even the part where we got drunk on the beach.

“That was all I remembered because I got so drunk. But then—”

“But what?” Hyori asked impatiently.

I chuckled at her before I breathed deeply to stop laughing. “I have no idea what happened right after but I woke up beside her and we’re both—” I gulped hard, gathering more courage as I looked at their faces. “We’re both… ”

I immediately closed my eyes, expecting them to freak out.

And they did.

“What?!”

“?!”

“Did you sleep with her?”

I remained closing my eyes as I hurriedly explained, “No, we did—”

“How would you know if you don’t remember what happened afterwards?” Hyori asked, couldn’t wait to let me finish.

I allowed myself to look at them, somewhat regretting it because I was slightly dizzy already.

I blinked a couple of times and got a hold of myself first. “She told me. I accused her of harassing me. I even threw things at her.” I flinched at the memory of throwing the lamp at Byul, still thankful that she didn’t sue me afterwards. “But she explained to me what happened and how ended up there”

“And you believe her?” Junghwa asked.

“Wait! Wait! Before that. What happened first? How did you end up ?” Jessi intervened.

I gulped hard once again, feeling myself blushed and feeling embarrassed at myself.

I told them what Byul told me that night. They obviously laughed at me and even teased me a lot. I had to shout so they could hear me over their loud teases. Then they’d tease me for being so defensive. It took a long time for all of us to move on from the teasing. I had to almost beg them to stop and even blackmailed them of not telling the rest of the story.

I sighed heavily once they quieted down. “So that’s what happened. I don’t know if she said the truth but I also do a lot of stupid things when I’m drunk…”

“That’s true,” Jessi whispered beside me.

I pouted a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter