Chapter Four

Lock Me Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today’s an exciting day. And the reason why today is exciting is because it’s the weekend, which means there’s no work, and I’m meeting my other older sisters again. There’s no drinking that was initially planned but I think we’ll be drinking later today.

Hyori asked to meet all of us for a special announcement, which is a code that she’s finally engaged. She didn’t have to say it. All three of us knew it already. We even thought that her boyfriend took such a long time to finally propose to her.

Hyori asked us to meet at this café first before we’d head out to eat lunch. The café is located on the outer side of the mall. And I have to walk from the entrance, the one near the bus stop, all the way to the other side of the mall. Unlike those three, I’m the only one who doesn’t have a car. So even if I complain, they’ll just ignore it because they can’t relate to my struggles.

As I got inside the mall, I stopped on my tracks when I saw someone familiar. He was walking a few feet ahead of me and I was hoping that he wouldn’t turn around.

Ah, ! I jinxed it.

I looked away and pretended that I didn’t see him. I started walking away, taking a longer route than I wanted, to get away from him. But it’s too late already.

“Hyejin? Hyejin!”

I closed my eyes and silently groaned. How will I be able to get rid of this person?

I breathed deeply before I finally opened my eyes and put on my widest smile. I just hope he doesn't notice that it’s far from genuine.

“Yes?” I said while coming up with an excuse in my head to get away from him.

“Hyejin. It’s really you!” He jogged towards me and reached a hand to me.

I took it and shook his hand but he leaned forward and hugged me. I looked so stiff standing as he wrapped his arm around me while still holding my hand. I never returned it and just nodded at him.

“How have you been?” he asked, his smile still the same since I met him. Still bright. Still hopeful but never welcoming. It makes me uncomfortable despite his good intentions.

I gently removed my hand from his hold before I flashed him another smile. “I’ve been doing well, Sunghoon. How about you?”

“Still… You know… I’ve been doing well too.” He placed his hands inside his pocket, a very classic pose before he’d start talking about himself. “Been very busy these past few weeks as well. I opened another business here and now I’m going there to check on it. My business has been progressing really well if you might ask. We’ve been forecasting our sales as of the moment…”

I tuned out the rest of what he said. I’ve perfected this since we met and since he declared that he wanted to court me. He’s not half bad. He’s just, I guess, so over himself. On our first day, he talks a lot about himself, about his achievements and his plans about his business. He’s a show off sometimes. Maybe all of the time.

I went out on only two dates with him. I gave him a chance. I swear I did, but it seems that he’s only interested in talking about his business more than to me. I don’t even know why he decided to court me. Since then I tried my best to subtly decline him but he’s so insistent. So I just went straight to the point and told him that I don’t like going out with him anymore. He didn’t understand it and still pursued me. I just ignored him and focused on my work. But every now and then, he’d pop up and it’s hard to completely stop him.

“Can I invite you—”

“I’m actually meeting my friends right now so I can’t. I’m sorry.” I cut him off before he could even finish his question.

“Is that so?” he asked, scratching the back of his head as he stared at me, thinking.

I gave him a polite smile and a small bow. “It’s nice seeing you again. Have a good day!” I waved goodbye and headed to where the café was.

“Oh you’re going that way? Me too!”

This was supposed to be an exciting day! What a way to ruin this?

He jogged to catch up and walked beside me. He placed his hand on my , making me flinch.

I’m wearing a white halter top backless shirt and now I’m regretting it. I moved away and distanced myself from him. He just moved closer and placed his arm around my waist, bringing me closer to him.

Will it be scandalous if I tell him not to touch me? Will it be scandalous if I push his arm off of me? Will he retort if I do those things?

I was contemplating all of those things while walking beside Sunghoon. I tried to subtly move away but he continued holding me while talking about himself. If I wouldn’t be able to unclasp his arm on me, I’d have to endure until I’d see my friends and ask for their help. Jessi wouldn’t hesitate to punch him. Hyori too. Junghwa will definitely scold him and ramble a lot. The thought of having my friends as backup calms me down but I never stopped trying to move away from him.

“Hyejin”

My ears perked up at the familiar voice. It was calmly said but the voice definitely didn’t sound calm. Not at all. Even Sunghoon stopped talking to look at the owner’s voice.

We both glanced behind us and I saw Byul.

What is she doing here? Yong never mentioned a schedule with Byul. It’s also so soon for her to be back in Korea. They just finished their rounds of quarterly meetings two weeks ago.

For whatever her reason for staying here, I’m honestly glad she showed up right at this very moment.

She’s wearing her usual three-piece suit; a black suit with white pinstripes. Her eyes darted between me and Sunghoon before it lingered on Sunghoon’s arm on my back. Her eyes dragged from his hand to his arm and back up to his face. She doesn’t look mad, but I could feel the aura of her bad spirit radiating all the way from where I was standing.

“Who are you?” she asked Sunghoon, her jaw working while staring intently at him. She glanced at me and I unintentionally gulped hard by how hard she’s staring at me. “Who’s this… babe?”

Okay… what is going on? What is she doing? What is my heart fluttering when I’m supposed to be scared right now?

She calmly walked towards me, taking off her coat along the way, before she placed it on my shoulders. She then placed her arm around my waist and pulled me away from Sunghoon’s hold. She stared at him one last time before she dragged her gaze to me.

I gulped hard once again. And then I held my breath as my eyes widened when she leaned towards me.

She kissed my temple and my cheek before she said, “I’m sorry I’m late. Traffic’s quite heavy on my way here.” She leaned forward and the tiny yelp that came out of me was unintentional as well. She leaned close to my ear before she whispered, “Play along. Is he making you uncomfortable? Face me if your answer’s yes”

I did what she instructed me to do and moved to face her without saying anything. She held my stare, her jaw tensed while her eyebrows scrunched up. Her hand slid from my waist to the small of my back, laying there but never making me uncomfortable.

“Hmm…” She leaned forward and placed a kiss on my forehead. “Play along” she softly whispered while I was trying my best to contain my blush and my rattled heart.

“Okay…”

She took a step back to give me space but still stayed standing close to me. “Mind if you introduce myself?” she asked while I shook my head.

The sudden turn of events made me incredibly speechless.

She faced Sunghoon and removed her arm on my back as she took a step towards him. She offered her hand for a handshake and said, “I’m Byulyi. Hyejin’s girlfriend”

Is this what she meant about playing along? We’re going to pretend in front of him?

Sunghoon just stared at Byul’s hand before he looked at me, ignoring Byul’s hand. “You are… Her? Why?” he asked, irritation clear in his voice.

Byul fisted the hand that she offered to Sunghoon before she took a step back. She held my hand, squeezing it everyone now and then. She’s also breathing hard, which I know means that she’s irritated as well.

I don’t know much about her temper but I know Sunghoon is quite irritating. I did the only right thing I could think of at that time and that’s to calm Byul down and give her a warning.

Still holding her hand, I stood in front of her and cupped her cheek, gathering her attention to me. Her eyes instantly softened while her hold on my hand stayed firm.

“Don’t mind him. He gets really annoying sometimes. Well… all the time” I whispered, making sure that she could only hear me.

“Do you know him?”

“Yes. From a long time ago. Wants to court me. Still wants to court me. Can’t accept no”

“Get rid of him”

I rolled my eyes at her before I whispered, “Obviously, I’ve tried that. The guy just can’t accept no”

“” she whispered under her breath.

“I know. Let’s just go before we get busted.” I glared at her while she raised a questioning brow. “What even came into your mind and pretended to be in a relationship with me? That’s a dumb move at all”

“Do you have anything else in mind then?” she challenged, her face leaning closer.

“No”

“Then just play along, babe” she hissed, giving me a pointed look.

“I hate you”

“So do I”

She scoffed while I rolled my eyes, confident that Sunghoon couldn’t see me.

I stood beside Byul again and smiles were already right on our faces as we faced Sunghoon. “We should go. We still have somewhere to be. Have a nice day”

“Bye” Byul said, directing me to where I was going earlier.

Sunghoon still followed us and walked on my other side. “We’re walking towards the same direction”

Byul released my hand and placed it around my waist. She gently pulled me away from Sunghoon while she transferred in between me and Sunghoon. She held my hand again, squeezing it once as she said, “Let’s walk this way”

“Aren’t you too possessive?” Sunghoon asked.

“Says the guy who couldn’t take a hint that the woman walking beside him is uncomfortable” Byul responded, unfazed and not even a bit scared despite their height differences.

Sunghoon laughed beside us, mocking Byul.

“Byul…” I whispered in a warning, glaring at her but her eyes were focused to where we’re heading, jaw tensing once again. I leaned closer to her and whispered, “Calm down”

She released a heavy breath out before she looked at me, nodding. “Sorry” she said, leaning forward to plant a kiss on the tip of my nose.

I instantly looked away, clearing my throat, calming my heart, and stopping my blush. I think her scent is invading me so I took a tiny step away from Byul. But her scent is still all over me and then I remembered that her coat was resting on my shoulders.

God… what is happening?

I’m still deciphering about the sudden kisses from her. I’m still making up my mind about them.

“What do you do, Byul?” Sunghoon asked. There’s pride in his voice that clearly says he’s greater than Byul even when he hadn’t known her yet.

“I run a business,” Byul answered, complying.

“I’m a businessman myself too. What kind of business?”

“Furniture. House accessories. Car furniture and accessories. Anything, anyone, anywhere that needs furniture and accessories, we provide”

“Tough competition there. How is your company thriving?” Sunghoon asked, smirking at Byul like he knows he clearly beat her when it comes to business.

“It’s doing really well,” Byul politely answered. Not a single ounce of boasting.

She could honestly just say that she’s the Moon heir from Moon Corp., the number one automotive technology provider all over the world. With her partnership with the Kim Group Inc., it has now expanded to houses, buildings, stadiums, and many more. Same with Yong, they have expanded to manufacturing modern products from the Moon Corporation’s technological knowledge.

“Really?” Sunghoon asked. Again, shamelessly mocking Byul.

“What about you? What kind of business do you do?”

I closed my eyes, sighing heavily as I slightly leaned on Byul. Here we go again…

“I own cafés and bars all over Korea. I just opened a new café branch here. This will be my sixteenth branch for my café. I also own seven bars. Those are all over Korea, by the way. I manage and own them at the same time”

“Arrogant” I mumbled, which Byul apparently heard because she softly chuckled beside me.

“I’ll be opening four other café branches in the next three months, which will seal me as one of the most successful young businessmen in Korea. Can you even top that?” Sunghoon asked, provoking Byul.

“No”

I frowned at Byul. I honestly wanted her to fight back just to put Sunghoon in his place.

She noticed me looking at her and raised her eyebrows. “What?”

I stepped closer so Sunghoon couldn’t hear me. “Why did you lie?”

Byul was interrupted with Sunghoon’s loud laugh.

I rolled my eyes and scoffed at it while Byul laughed at my reaction.

“Is this the kind of person you want to date, Hyejin? A lowly businesswoman with zero achievements? You can do better than that. Date me instead” Sunghoon said but Byul just ignored her.

I constantly glanced at Byul as we continued walking, Sunghoon still walking close to us. I was waiting for Byul to clap back. I really wanted her to put Sunghoon in his place but she’s not saying anything. She just held my hand, looked straight and continued walking.

“Aren’t you going to say anything?” I whispered, frustrated at her.

“Say what?”

I stopped us from walking and waited for Byul to look at me. “Put him in his place”

“I’m not going to do that,” she said, slightly shaking her head.

“Why?” I asked, unintentionally raising my voice.

“I’m lucky enough that Korea and this don’t know me as much as they’re probably aware of Yong and Wheein. I don’t want this place to be like New York. It’s hard to walk in malls like this without being followed by the media and paparazzi. I have my freedom here. There, I don’t. I’m not going to expose myself over someone who doesn’t need my time”

The fight and frustration in me left my body all at once.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t think about the situation that much” I whispered, bending my head low.

“It’s o—”

“Just break up with her,” Sunghoon interjected.

I groaned and bent my head lower. “… Why is he still here?” I mumbled, hearing Byul chuckling at me.

“He’s annoying”

“He’s very annoying,” I corrected.

“Block his number and I think there are other malls near your apartment other than this. Go there next time so you can avoid him”

“I will,” I answered, sighing heavily.

I saw her leaning forward before I felt her kissing the top of my head. I narrowed my eyes at her, suspecting, before I said, “You’re taking way too much advantage already”

“Your one-of-the-most-successful-young-businessman-in-Korea suitor is still watching us. I introduced myself as your girlfriend. Would you rather let him see me push you away, babe?”

“Only today and when he’s around”

“Kiss me too,” she said.

“What? No” I answered, indignant.

“Then how can we convince him if you’re not showing affection? It’ll probably drive him away and stop courting you.” She sighed when I never made a move and stepped closer to me. “Just on the cheek. I’m not forcing you to do something you don’t want. Also, I’m doing you a favor here and I’m not asking for anything in return”

What have I gotten myself into?

“Fi—”

I held her cheek with my free hand, stopping her from rambling. Then I leaned forward and pressed a long kiss on her cheek. I pulled back and raised an eyebrow, looking like she’s frozen in front of me. I think she didn’t expect that I would actually do it.

She cleared and tugged on my hand. “Let’s go. You have somewhere to be, right? We’ll just make sure that Sunghoon isn’t around before we’ll drop the act.” She walked ahead but had no idea where to go so she glanced behind her to look at me. “Where to?”

“Wait…” I looked around to locate the café. “I’m meeting my friends in a café”

“That one?” Byul asked, pointing at a far end. “And… I think your suitor owned that place”

As I looked to where she was pointing, I saw Sunghoon pushing the glass door open. I groaned while Byul just laughed beside me. This day has got to be the most random, most annoying, and most unexpected day ever.

“I guess we’ll have to it up and extend our five-minute relationship” Byul said, laughing beside me and I couldn’t help but join her.

We held hands as we made our way to Sunghoon’s café. Byul opened the door for me and let me in first before she followed. She resorted to walking behind me, following me towards where my friends are.

And my friends? They expected me but they surely did not expect Byul with me. I wasn’t even expecting her today.

I quickly introduced Byul to my friends and vice versa. Byul went to order drinks and food for us while I sat down, glancing towards the bar where Sunghoon was staying. I hurriedly explained to them what happened earlier and that Byul was just kind enough to help me deal with Sunghoon.

“I didn’t know you’re already in a relationship,” Hyori teased.

“It’s a pretend relationship” I clarified, glaring at her. “And if we have just met somewhere else, this wouldn’t happen at all” I whined while all three of them were surely ready to tease me.

“How did she know you’re here?” Junghwa asked.

“I don’t know”

“Why is she here? I thought she lives in New York” Jessi said this time.

“She lives there but I don’t know why she’s here”

“Maybe she’s stalking you” Hyori suggested and automatically, a teasing grin was plastered on their faces.

“No, she’s not. I’m sure she’s here for business”

“Did you like it?” Jessi asked, barely stopping herself from grinning and giggling.

“Like what?” I asked, pouting at her.

“This pretend relationship?”

I leaned over to slap her arm but she easily dodged it by leaning back. “Stop teasing me!”

The three of them were laughing and giggling at me to tease me while I just pouted at them. Byul came back at that exact same moment with a tray of drinks. She sat down beside me, the amused glint in her eyes was present when she saw me pouting at my friends.

I glared at my friends and then glared at Byul who lifted her eyebrows, questioning me.

She sat down beside me and rolled up her sleeves before doing it again when she wasn’t satisfied. I got frustrated and grabbed her arm, doing the work for her. She mumbled a quick thank you before turning to face me to make it easier for me.

“Why are you here?” I asked, my eyes trained on my task.

“You weren’t in your apartment and you weren’t answering your emails. I don’t have your number so I went out to pass the time”

I motioned for her other arm and started rolling her sleeves there as well. “Okay. What are you doing here in Seoul? You have no schedule with Yong”

“I just needed to be away from New York”

I raised an eyebrow and discovered that she was staring at me intently. “Waiting for another scandal to die down?”

Her eyebrows twitched while her lips slightly turned down in frown. Her eyes bounced from either one of mine, silence enveloping us.

The longer she stared and didn’t answer me, the more I felt bad about what I said.

It would have been a talk in the office if ever she got involved with another woman. Even Yong had her ears perked up if she heard that Byul had slept with someone again. So far, no news has reached the office.

It was indeed judgemental of me but we’re used to teasing and pressing each other’s buttons. She should have thrown an insult at me now but she remained silent.

I was the first one to look away as I cleared my throat. “I’m sorry. That was—”

“It’s fine.” She grabbed her cup of coffee and started drinking from it while I pouted at my own drink. “Am I really like that?” she whispered beside me while I nervously glanced at her. “Do people know me as someone like that before they know me as the president of our company?”

I sighed heavily and leaned closer to her, patting her knee under the table. “I’m sorry. That was very insulting… what I said earlier”

“I told you, it’s fine” she said, patting my hand that was on her knee. “I’m generally curious though. Do your friends know me as someone like that first before they know that I’m managing our company?”

“I… I’m not quite sure” I whispered, looking over at my friends that I almost forgot were there.

I frowned at them when they remained quiet. They’re not really this quiet. We’re the loudest bunch I’ve ever known. Even if one or two aren’t present, we’re still the loudest bunch that ever existed.

“Do you want me to ask them?” I asked and she nodded without hesitation.

I turned to my friends and asked the same question Byul asked from me. Thankfully, they all answered politely and told Byul that they knew her as the Moon heir first before hearing the other rumors. It evidently lightened the mood Byul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter