Chapter Thirteen

Lock Me Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Since my first encounter with the paparazzis, a lot has changed. Consequently, there are good effects and bad effects upon their discovery of me. The good thing is more projects came in, which means I was able to pay more than half of our family’s debt now. After the hotel shoot, I had more outdoor shoots, restaurant ads and product shoots, mostly for beverages and snacks. The biggest one I’ve got was when a certain clothing brand had a six-month deal with me.

When Yong knew about this, she personally accompanied me to discuss our terms and agreements. She suddenly became my EA at that moment. She even told me that she’ll hire a stylist, a makeup artist and a hairstylist for me.

I immediately rejected the idea. I don’t think I’m on that level yet. She also considered hiring another assistant because she foresees me having even more projects. I told her that I enjoyed modeling and shooting advertisements, but it’s not to the point that I’m considering it as my permanent job right now.

Along with the projects and clothing deal, came the management contract. I told Yong about this and she’s willing to help. She always does. Wheein felt even more excited than when she knew about it too. Byul told me to wait. She wanted me to wait until my value as a model rises before looking for a company to manage me. She said it’ll broaden my options if more companies would contact me. They have set up security for me so we wouldn’t worry over that part yet. And honestly, both Byul and Yong are managing me well by themselves.

As of the moment, all projects and deals that I had were as a freelance model. I managed myself while Yong and Byul would always back me up. My friends and family are my constant cheerers. I also share a part of my earnings to Byul and Yong. They declined, of course, but I insisted since they’re working alongside with me.

And oh yeah… Byul and I went back to exchanging emails and video calls. It’s not as frequent as before but we’re definitely back to communicating again. I hadn’t seen her personally since she insisted on flying here. She said that things are really busy on her end but she promised that she’ll see me soon.

The bad news? Paparazzis following me around. I couldn’t go home and see my friends as much as I could. When we meet, it’s always in someone’s house because it’s hard for me to go somewhere public without being followed around. I don’t want to involve them in all its craziness while the paps are still hot on my tracks. Thankfully, they understand.

Aside from my face in promo pictures and invading household TVs, my name has made its way to the news articles. Yong tried to stop the media from releasing any more articles about me. But because of my association with the Moon heir, it was harder to stop than she thought. I told her to let them be. Still, she and Wheein never demanded me to explain what exactly is my relationship with Byul.

 

(no subject)
Moon Star {[email protected]}
to me

Finally had the time to fly there.
I’m on my way there already. I’ll see you soon after fourteen hours, babe.
Pick me up?

 

(no subject)
Hye Jin {[email protected]}
to Moon Star

You’ll arrive tomorrow, right? I’m sorry I can’t. I promised to visit my nieces tomorrow.
Just go straight to my apartment. You already know my password. Go get some rest first.
I’ll see you soon, Mansaeng.

 

(no subject)
Moon Star {[email protected]}
to me

Okay…
I missed your nieces too. I hope they’re doing fine. Your sisters and parents too.
I missed you the most.

 

(no subject)
Hye Jin {[email protected]}
to Moon Star

Missed you too

 

The three little piggies were with their father to take a bath and prepare for bed. I was left with my sisters. Hajoon and Donghyun with Aecha are having a sleepover in my oldest sister’s house. I usually stay and sleep with them because my sisters and I talk until it’s late. With Byul coming over, I had to skip tonight.

I missed that Mansaeng a lot.

I glanced at the clock in my sister’s living room before checking on my phone for Byul’s emails. It’s already eight in the evening and I still had no updates from her. She should’ve landed in Incheon this morning. With the recent events, I’m very worried if she’s fine or not.

I quickly sent her an email asking her if she had landed already and told her that I’ll be going home later.

“Hadn’t heard from her?” Hajoon asked, handing me a cup of tea.

I placed my phone down and sat up as I grabbed the cup from her. “Thanks” I whispered before taking a sip. “She should’ve landed this morning already. I’ve checked articles earlier if they spotted her and there’s none so far”

Hyunjoo came back from the bathroom and sat closely on my right. “Who’s not spotted?” she asked, grabbing the other cup of tea that Hajoon prepared.

My other sister, Hajoon, sat on my left, sandwiching me in between them. “Byul” she answered.

“Maybe she’s tired from the flight,” Hyunjoo suggested.

I nodded but still pouted at that because Byul would never miss telling me she’s landed already.

Hyunjoo patted my head with a light chuckle. “Don’t worry too much”

“I’ll try not to”

“The last time she was here, you ended things between you two, right?” Hajoon asked while I nodded in response. “So what are you two now?”

I shook my head as I drank my tea.

“What’s that? Is that a no?” Hyunjoo asked on my other side.

I took a heavy sigh before I whispered, “I don’t know… Things have been hectic for us. We never had time to clarify that. I’ll ask her about that while she’s here. But the last time I brought up this topic, she said she wanted time to think over what I wanted”

“Oh… so she’s reconsidering…” Hyunjoo and I could see Hajoon nodding, agreeing with my sister.

I turned to Hyunjoo and asked her, “You think so? You think she’s really considering what I wanted?”

Hyunjoo gave me a soft smile as she pinched my cheek, making me pout at her. “I don’t know what goes over your Moon heir’s head” she said, making me frown even more while she just laughed at me. “I just said what I think is happening. We only know your relationship with Byulyi from what you’ve been sharing to us. And frankly, it’s not a lot because I know you’re hiding way more than what you’ve shared”

She gave me a soft smile as she gently patted my cheek. “But what I know is that if she flies here just to spend her birthday with you, if she spends fourteen hours on air just to protect you from what’s recently happening, then you have nothing to worry about when it comes to her feelings for you”

My eyebrows furrowed as I asked her, “So you think it’s okay to just settle with being exclusive? Will you be okay with that?”

“Of course not!” she answered, making me even more confused.

Hyunjoo just laughed at whatever she saw on my face before she drank her tea.

“What our sister is trying to say is that, if your reason for wanting to be in a relationship with her is because you’re worried about her looking at someone else, then you have nothi—”

“That’s not what I’m worried about” I inserted, stopping Hajoon from continuing. I turned to her and shook my head, surprising her. “I’m not worried about that…”

She blinked her eyes repeatedly, trying to get out of being dazed before she asked, “Then what are you worried about?”

“I’m not worried about anything specific. I just…” I looked away from my sister and stared at my tea, gulping hard when admitting it to them felt embarrassing.

“You just?” Hyunjoo asked, urging me to say it myself.

I closed my eyes and silently groaned before I whispered softly, “I want that assurance to be with her. To… maybe… settle down with her”

Silence. I was surrounded by silence, except for the little piggies having fun in the bathroom and giving their daddies a hard time to give them a bath. I was worried that my sister would be mad at me. I mean… I wanted to settle down with a woman. They’re not against it, my parents too, but settling down in itself is a whole different topic. It’s definitely serious.

I slowly opened my eyes and peeked at them through the corners of my eyes. I turned to Hajoon first because I could feel Hyunjoo’s gaze boring at the side of my head. Surprisingly, she has a small smile on her lips while stirring her tea. I slowly turned to Hyunjoo next and immediately ducked my head when she was still looking at me.

I heard a soft giggle from Hyunjoo, making me look at her again. She was smiling so wide and shaking her head as she reached for her cup of tea.

“What?” I asked my sisters, pouting at the both of them.

“You really have to worry a lot if that’s the case,” Hajoon suddenly said.

“Is that supposed to comfort me?” I asked sarcastically while she just shrugged at me.

Hyunjoo suddenly pulled me in a hug, stopping me from pouting. Hajoon reached to pat my shoulder.

“We’re proud of you” Hyunjoo whispered, making me slightly embarrassed now.

I slapped my hand on her thigh without much force to it. “What are you talking about?” I asked, feigning disgust.

“And we’re glad that you’re not settling for less. For standing up for what you wanted” Hajoon added, making me blush even more.

The three little piggies came into the living room at a perfect time. I was already drowned by my sisters’ warm words. It doesn’t happen that often that they shower me with so much affection. They would usually team up against me.

“Good night, Auntie Jinnie!” the tree of them shouted at the same time.

I hugged Jiho first and gave her a good night kiss. “Good night, Jiho. Sweet dreams, oldest piggy” I whispered as I ruffled her hair.

BInna came next and jumped on me for a hug. I gave her a reproachful look while she returned it with a huge grin. I gave her a kiss on the cheek before I placed her feet back on the floor.

“Good night, Binna. Sweet dreams, second piggy”

Aecha came in last and was just standing patiently to wait for her turn. I opened my arms for her and smiled wide, telling her to come to my arms. She jogged towards me and I engulfed her in my arms immediately. I pressed a kiss on top of her head and on her cheek.

“Good night, Aecha. Sweet dreams little piggy” I whispered to her.

Her tiny arms remained around my neck as she pulled back to look at me. “Will Santa Saengie come see us again?”

My eyebrows jumped high up, slightly startled at the mention of Byul’s nickname to my nieces. “Santa Saengie?” I asked while Aecha gave me a small nod. “Santa Saengie’s been busy, Aecha. Do you want to see her again?”

Aecha nodded again, making me smile.

“If she has time, I’ll ask her if she can come visit, okay?”

Aecha nodded with an adorable smile this time.

I guess I’m not the only one who missed Byul a lot.

I kissed her cheek before I let her go. “Go to sleep already”

My phone beeped from the table. Upon recognizing the familiar notification tone, I hurriedly reached for it from the coffee table. A smile was instantly on my face while relief ran all over my body after finally hearing from her.

 

(no subject)
Moon Star {[email protected]}
to me

I’m sorry for making you worry. I didn’t want to disturb you while you’re with your family.
I’m sorry for taking a long time to respond too. I took a nap after I reached your apartment. It is indeed cozy with Bear and Lion snuggling close to me. And hey… I brought Lion back.
Are you heading here now? Do you want me to pick you up?

 

(no subject)
Hye Jin {[email protected]}
to Moon Star

It’s okay…
You don’t know the streets of Seoul and Jeonju that much. You might get lost. I’ll just grab a taxi then head there right away.
Have you had dinner already?

 

(no subject)
Moon Star {[email protected]}
to me

Still, email me where you are right now.
I bought takeouts earlier. There’s still some left. I can just heat that up.
Be careful on your way back here. Call me if you need anything.

 

(no subject)
Moon Star {[email protected]}
to me

And ah… Babe, can you hurry up? I missed you already.

 

I shook my head and softly chuckled at the last email she sent me. I quickly sent her an email with my address and that she should be patient before putting my phone back in my bag. I grabbed my bag before I stood up and got a little bit surprised when I saw my sisters giving me a pointed look.

“Judging by the look on your face—”

“I have to go now” I said as I walked closer to them, not letting them tease me. I gave them short hugs as I kissed their cheeks. “It was fun catching up and spending time with my nieces” I said, heading towards the door without sparing them a glance. “It’s getting late already. Let’s do this again some other time” I said, stepping into my shoes.

“Bring Byul next time,” Hyunjoo said behind me.

I turned to them one last time and smiled at them while waving my hand. “Good night” I said, ignoring Hyunjoo’s comment before I marched out of her house, hearing them laugh behind me.

Before I could even take a few steps away from their house, the door opened once again with Hyunjoo peeking her head on the side of the door.

“I was serious. Bring her next time. The kids missed her. She also looked like she loves being around them”

“She did.” I sighed as I nodded at her and said, “If she’s not busy, I’ll ask her to come”

She smiled and waved at me. “Good night. Are you sure you don’t want us to drive you to your apartment?”

I shook my head and turned down the offer. “I can manage. Thanks”

We said goodbyes again before she went back inside her house while I started heading to where I could call for a taxi.

Once I reached the main street, I hugged my bag close to me and ducked my head. I tried to blend in with the people around me and tried not to grab everyone’s attention. I wore the plainest set of clothes I have. I also learned my lesson about heels. Even when my apartment building is just close to Yong’s building, I couldn’t enjoy my walks anymore because the paps would camp across the building. I had to drive that short distance.

I took the time off from driving now since I was not headed to work. It’s so tiring to always drive even that short distance from my apartment to work. I also love keeping my nails with me as much as I can.

As I neared to where the taxi stand is, I held my breath and wished for a peaceful walk. That wish was immediately jinxed when I heard someone gasp close to me.

“Isn’t that Ahn Hyejin?” someone on my back asked.

I silently cursed but continued walking as if I didn’t hear that. I lifted my head just a little bit so I could see where I was heading. I immediately casted my eyes downwards when I saw several people eyeing me now. I even saw some people have lifted their phones and taken pictures or videos of me.

“…” I couldn’t help but curse under my breath.

I walked faster and tried to avoid getting crowded by the people. However, it seems that as I took a step closer to the taxi stand more and more people had discovered me already. More and more people had crowded around me.

The crowd wasn’t as aggressive as when I was around the paps for the first time. It’s just that the walls they created around me were still suffocating. And they led me away from the taxi stand. I decided to look for a place of shelter then call someone, anyone, to get me.

My lungs constricted while my breaths hitched unevenly. I shut my eyes tightly for a second when tears started to threaten out of my eyes. I held my bag close to me while my other hand was to my chest, clasping on it when it was harder for me to breathe.

“Excuse me please…” I whispered, my voice shaking as I pleaded for the crowd to move.

I could not see beyond the people around me. It was even hard to move forward now that they have me pinned down. I asked for them to move but they wouldn’t listen. All they cared about was to get a picture of me. There was even this one person who attempted to do a selfie with me but I bent my head low and covered my face.

“Excuse me” I pleaded once again but they never allowed me to move anymore.

The flashes came in slowly before the rain of clicks started. The paps came and finally found me.

I couldn’t do anything anymore. I shut my eyes tightly and placed my hand on my chest, gently massaging it to prevent myself from hyperventilating. I wanted to move but the crowd around me wouldn’t budge. People have been moving around me, trying to get to me, and I swayed with the crowd. I lost control and just bent my head low and hid behind my hands.

“Ahn Hyejin! Over here please!”

“Miss Ahn! Please answer some questions for us!”

“Any plans for a contract deal with an agency?!”

“What is your relationship with the Moon Corporation’s Moon Byulyi?!”

“Is it true that you slept with Moon Byulyi?!”

“Miss Ahn!”

“Ahn Hyejin!”

“Miss Ahn!”

“Over here!”

Questions flooded all around me now that they have me cornered.

My feet gave in from being suffocated by the crowd. I concentrated on breathing. I really tried hard on just breathing evenly because it was the only way I could survive being surrounded by them. I sniffed back my tears and tried to put on a strong face but it’s difficult when I was really having a hard time breathing.

Byul… Yong… Wheein… Mom. Dad…

I called everyone in my head. I know they wouldn’t hear me but it was the only thing I could do out of desperation. I wanted to grab my phone but even my hands froze from gripping my bag.

I was free from the paps for the last four weeks because of Yong’s bodyguards. I told her that maybe we should cut it down during my day off. She strongly disagreed with it but I convinced her that I would be careful and that I would be able to regain my privacy that way.

It was fine for the last two weeks but I regret that decision now. I don’t know how I’ll escape the crowd right now.

Someone suddenly touched my arm and I hurriedly moved back, recoiling from the touch. I cowered away from that person and curled myself even more, hiding further. My eyebrows furrowed hard as I took heavy breaths, still focusing on my breathing.

“Hyejin…”

I held my breath when the voice sounded familiar. I don’t want to hope that it’s someone I know but I’m also desperate. I slowly looked up and sighed in relief when I saw Byul looking at me worriedly. I frowned at her while she gave me a nod of assurance.

She cupped my cheeks and wiped the tears on them. “Let’s get you out of here” she whispered softly.

I gulped hard and nodded at her. I couldn’t find my voice at that moment. I looked around and saw that a couple guards were with her to part the crowd. The flashes never stopped. The questions either. It was still a relief she came here.

“Hold onto me. I’m carrying you to the car” she said while I nodded once again.

She wiped my tears some more before she placed her arms around me. She lifted me in her arms as she stood up while I placed mine around her shoulders.

I nestled my face to her neck to cover my face from the paps. I felt her pressing a kiss on my head while feeling her walking. I was slowly lowered down before I felt the cold seat inside the car.

She closed the passenger seat door and thanked the guards before running to the driver seat. She fastened my seatbelt before doing hers. She started moving the car and then reached to hold my hand firmly.

And just like that, I escaped the paparazzis and was now safely heading home.

“Thank you” I whispered, my voice still shaking.

She didn’t say anything. She just squeezed my hand and brought it to her lips. She kissed it before resting our joined hands on her lap.

Her knuckles had already turned white from holding the wheel tightly. Her jaw has been clenching and unclenching, working her muscles in there. She’s glaring hard at the road in front of us and I was both very worried and scared.

“Are you mad at me?” I whispered carefully.

“I’m pulling over,” she said, releasing my hand to park the car.

She adjusted her seat and pulled it back before releasing her seatbelt. She reached over to me and removed my seatbelt as well. Then she held my hand and pulled me to her, asking me to crossover the center console.

“Come here” she whispered as she helped me climb up to her lap.

Once seated, she pulled me to her arms and hugged me tightly. I placed my arms around her shoulders and buried my face on her hair. She was the one breathing hard now while she f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter