Chapter Three

Lock Me Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What favor?” I asked as if I suddenly didn't remember anything.

She slowly leaned forward but I held her gaze and didn’t move a single muscle. She seemed to love it because the smirk just grew into a full smile. There’s that annoying glint in her eyes again. What am I to her? Her personal entertainer?

I wouldn’t allow her to challenge me so I made a brave move of even leaning forward, my eyes never leaving hers. Her eyes widened when she saw me moving. They dropped down to my lips before frantically moving up to my eyes. She hurriedly leaned back and cleared while loosening her tie like it’s choking her. The tint on her cheeks was undeniably a blush.

Who’s the strong one now?

She looked away while fixing her tie and clearing a couple more times. “The favor” she said, sounding less confident now. “The favor that you asked of me and I agreed on one condition.” She looked into my eyes again, her determination back again. “I want my accommodations now”

“This isn’t a five star hotel, Miss Moon. You can’t demand sheets and beddings here.”

She scoffed and rolled her eyes as she whispered under her breath, “This is far from a five star hotel. I doubt this place can meet my standards”

“I guess we’re settled then” I said, giving her my widest smile. I bowed down exaggeratedly before I said, “Welcome back to Seoul”

I stepped to the side and headed towards the elevator.

“If you take one more step, I wouldn’t hesitate to call Wheein and tell her everything!”

“And anger Yong? I don’t think so.” I looked behind me and saw her looking very mad in front of my apartment. I raised my hand up and waved at her. “Goodbye, Miss Moon. Have fun dealing with your own accommodations!”

I flashed her a huge grin, making her look madder. I chuckled at her before I faced the elevator and pressed the down button.

“Yes. Hello, Wheein!”

She did not…

My head whipped towards her direction and saw her holding her phone close to her ear. That smirk, that annoying smirk is right on her face again. Her eyes stayed on me while she nodded at whatever Wheein was saying over the phone.

No… No, I don’t think so.

“ you” I whispered under my breath before I ran towards her.

My eyes were focused on that phone and I wouldn’t hesitate to destroy it. I don’t care anymore. This bad spirit just ruined the day I dedicated to myself. Why does she have to be so annoying?

“See, the thing is… During your wedding day—”

“No!”

She raised her phone up and hopped just as I aimed my hands on the phone. My hands were reaching for it but it was far from my reach. I slapped my hand on her shoulder, causing her to bring her hand just enough for me to reach her phone. I immediately grabbed it and pulled it from her hand and then ended her call with Wheein.

Except that there was no call. She was just bluffing earlier.

Her laugh echoed in the hallway while I went back to glaring at her.

I slapped her arm really hard and she grunted in pain. I know she’s my boss, in a way, but right now, she’s an .

“” I whispered while she easily snatched her phone from my hand and pocketed it.

“Thought you didn’t care?”

“ you” I hissed, hands clenching while taking deep breaths from the feeling of intense frustration, anger, and irritation.

“Right…” She brushed her coat and straightened it before she looked at me, that amused smirk is back at it again. “So… I want my accommodations”

“No”

“Should I call Wheein? For real this time?”

“As if you’re actually going to do it”

“Okay.” She shrugged her shoulders and grabbed her phone from her coat pocket. She tapped and tapped on her phone screen until I heard a ringing sound.

I shrugged as well and crossed my arms in front of me. I pretended like I didn’t care but I deeply cared. I was just hoping that she didn’t actually mean it. She doesn’t want Yong to know. Or doesn’t she care at all?

“Byul?” Wheein’s voice filled the empty hallway while I held my breath as my eyes widened.

The actually called Wheein.

“Yong said that you’ll be coming here…”

My eyes bounced from her phone to the wide grin on her face and repeatedly did so. My heart immediately beat so hard from nervousness. She really called Wheein. She ing did it.

“…Would you like to join us for dinner tonight? At least you wou—”

I hurriedly grabbed the phone and ended the call. It was rude to just suddenly drop the call but it was Byul who called Wheein. Not me. Wheein wouldn’t know I did it unless this spoiled rich would snitch on me.

I gripped her phone and closed my eyes as I breathed deeply. This will be a long day. She’d be staying here for a week. Will she be staying in my apartment for the entire week? If so, then this will be a long week. What have I done to be this unlucky?

Her laughter has dwindled while my teeth clenched so hard. I hate myself for saying this but I just had to be very patient to survive. It’ll just be for a week and with how busy we are, it’ll fly fast.

“What do you want?” I whispered, giving in just to put an end in this argument. “What accommodations do you want?” I asked, looking into her eyes now.

The glint and amusement in her eyes were gone. Even the smirk on her face was gone. She just stared right back at me. No teasing. No challenge.

“I’m fine with whatever you have”

“I only have a single bed”

“Then I’ll just take the couch,” she said without any hesitation.

I was surprised at first and then I was confused. Why would a spoiled rich like her want to sleep on a couch? She demands sheets and beddings every single time she visits Korea for work. She has specifications on her accommodations. She’d prefer a cheap apartment room over a five star hotel now? Is she broke?

The laugh from her and the slight shake in her head hinted to me that I said that question out loud.

“No, I’m not. Our company’s thriving really well”

“Then why would you prefer my cheap apartment room over a hotel. It doesn’t make sense”

She only shrugged at me.

“Are you here to annoy me?” I asked, frowning.

“I’m here to work”

“Work somewhere else…” I whispered exasperatedly.

“Should I call Wheein again?” she threatened.

And… we’re back to arguing once again. I hate her. I hate her so much.

“Are you only staying for today?”

“No. I’m staying here until I’ll have to fly back home”

I could picture us arguing endlessly when she confirmed that she’ll be really staying for the week. Endless arguments today. Endless arguments for the rest of the week.

“Do you want me to book you a hotel right now?” I fished for my phone in my bag as I said, “The Kim Group will pay for your expenses if that’s what you’re worried”

“Can I just get inside now?” she asked, hearing exhaustion from her voice.

I looked up from my phone and stopped attempting to talk her out of it. She’s annoyingly stubborn and persistent when it comes to getting under my skin. I hate it. I hate her so much.

“Fine…” I raised a finger up and said, “In one condition”

Her eyebrows raised up as she stared at my index finger. “What condition?”

“It’s my place, which means that you will follow every single rule I have. You can’t touch anything unless you have my permission. Most certainly, my bedroom is off limits. You stay in your couch only”

“Seems fine” she agreed right away.

“I’ll add more rules along the way.” I turned around and keyed in my password, hearing her chuckle behind me. “My place is tidy all the time. I don’t want it to be messy. So you have to look after yourself or I’ll dump you to a nearest hotel and it surely wouldn’t be five star”

“We’re on the same page about neatness. You have nothing to worry about that”

I opened the door but didn’t push it open yet. I turned around and looked at her intently. “Are you really sure about this?”

“Yes…” she said, exasperated.

I scoffed at her and finally pushed the door open. “Fine…” I went in first and opened the door wider, allowing her to come in. “Get in”

She pushed her huge suitcase as she followed closely. She untied and removed her shoes before placing them to the side. She lifted her suitcase before moving further inside my apartment.

I closed the door and followed her inside. She went straight to the couch, dropping her body before closing her eyes. She definitely looked exhausted, for sure.

“The door across the living room is my room. You’re not allowed there. Next to that is the bathroom. You can go there. Kitchen’s there. There’s water there. Food too”

Wait… I’m also feeding her? Oh my god… Why can’t she just stay in a hotel room? I’m on a tight budget. Will Yong be mad if I use the company card for her food? That doesn’t seem right. She better not complain with whatever I’m feeding her.

“Right… I guess you’re settled already”

“Yes… Thank you” she lazily responded, her body still sprawled on the couch.

“You can watch TV if you want to. I’m heading out first”

Her eyes opened right away and found their way to me. “Where are you going?”

“Grocery. What will I feed us then?”

“You’re cooking?”

“I don’t trust you in the kitchen. Definitely hands off there”

What does a spoiled rich like her know about cooking?

“Wait. Give me a sec” she grunted as she pushed herself up. “I’ll go with you”

And make my life even harder?

“No. You’re staying here”

“I’ll go with you,” she insisted.

“Fine…”

It’s not like I have any other choice, knowing how stubborn she can be.

She removed her coat and neatly folded it before placing it on the couch. She removed her vest next and folded it as well. Her tie followed after that before she started ing her long-sleeve shirt, revealing a clean white shirt underneath it.

“Just a sec. This won’t take time.” She tucked her white shirt neatly before she rummaged in her suitcase and grabbed a handbag. She placed her phone inside it before she glanced up at me. “I’m good. Let’s go?”

I went out of my apartment first then Byul caught up and walked beside me as we headed towards the elevator. Instead of hitting the ground floor, she pressed the basement parking and stood beside me.

“Why do you have to come? I thought you’re tired”

“Because I can drive us there and I can’t let you carry all the bags by yourself”

“You don’t trust me?” I asked, eyeing her at the corner of my eyes.

“No. I’m just simply offering help”

Second unusual thing that came out of since she showed up unannounced on my front door. The first one was that she’s okay to stay in my apartment and sleep on my couch. I think I’ll be expecting complaints from her anytime soon. That’s something very consistent with her since we met.

“I guess Yong and Wheein shouldn't know where you’re staying?”

“No. They might ask a lot of questions”

More secrets to hide. My other older sisters would tease me even more if they’ll know about this. Should I just keep this from them too? That would be a lot harder. I’ll just tell them when they ask me. If not, I won’t say a single word about it.

Once we reached the basement parking, I let her walk ahead first towards her car. She offered the passenger seat to me before heading towards the driver seat. I climbed in, fastened my seatbelt, and felt incredibly awkward.

“Just give me directions where to go,” she said as she moved the car out of the parking lot.

“Okay”

I’m freaking tense and I don’t know why. Maybe because the last time it’s just me and her in the same space, a lot of awkward, embarrassing, and frustrating things happened. There’s the harassment accusation, the kiss, our ness, and so many more. Up until now, I still don’t know if she was telling the truth or not.

“Do you usually go out for groceries on a weekend?” she asked, words slightly mumbled from yawning.

“Yes”

I could see her nodding at the corner of my eyes. I cleared my throat and tried to find a better position on my seat. I still could not relax.

“Don’t you go out? Meet your friends?”

Now, why is she starting a conversation with me?

“Sometimes, we do, but most of the time, I spend my weekends in my apartment. Work’s always exhausting. I wanted to spend my day off just slacking in my house”

“Hmm…”

“Why’d you come here earlier though?” I asked.

“Mom and Dad will be using the plane tomorrow. I could not wait. I also preferred to use our plane. Airports could get really crowded sometimes. For privacy too”

I remember reading news articles of her being photographed wherever she goes. That was also the case for Yong and Wheein when they visited the States together. It’s not as crazy as here in Seoul, but there are still people following them. Yong has control over certain media companies but that doesn’t mean they still aren’t followed. Byul’s case would be more difficult though because the Moon Corp. is still big but it’s not as big as the Kim Group Inc. They have indirect control over the media but only through the Kim Group.

At least she’s not followed around her. Or maybe she is and I just have no idea about it.

She glanced at me and noticed me staring at her. She raised an eyebrow and the arrogant smirk reappeared. “Like what you see?”

“Is it difficult?” I asked, genuinely curious.

Her smile was gone while her eyebrows furrowed. “What’s difficult?”

“Being followed around? Your pictures taken without your permission? People knowing your private business”

She faced the front and concentrated on driving. “What do you think?” she asked out of genuine curiosity.

“That it’s difficult. Like extremely difficult”

A knowing smirk painted her lips as she nodded slowly. “It’s beyond difficult. What’s worse is people twisting your words and making up stories for the sake of money. They don’t even care if they’re ruining other people’s lives or not”

I frowned as I digested her words. The twitching of her eyebrows and even how her eyes looked mad just means how it affected her a lot.

“Were there stories about you that they made up?” I asked and she nodded in response. “That’s…” I breathed deeply, turning my attention outside now. “That’s sick”

A certain thought entered my mind and as a curious little cat, I didn’t hesitate to ask her. I didn’t even realize that the mood inside the car had slowly turned comfortable.

“The articles about you sleeping with different women. Was that one of those stories that they made up?”

The list is made up of famous models, celebrities, famous personalities, and many more. It’s absurd. It’s slightly disgusting but who am I to judge her? It’s her life and if she wants to live that way, that’s none of my business. But I definitely wouldn’t be part of that list.

“Oh, no. That’s true.” She glanced at me and smiled so proud while the dimples on her cheeks showed up. “That’s definitely true. It’s not my fault they wanted me”

I rolled my eyes, eliciting a loud laugh from her as I pointed at a corner to tell her to turn there. “Arrogant”

“No… Confident”

I scoffed but couldn’t help but smile, just a tiny one, with the way she’s laughing heartily. Her laugh echoed loudly inside the car and found its way to my ears, sounding so infectious. A giggle came out of my lips without the intention to do so.

 

There’s two people to feed and my budget is only good for one. Myself. I’m supposed to fit my money for food good for me and this bad spirit walking beside me. At least she volunteered to drive us, push the cart and carry the bags.

“Are you allergic to anything?” I asked as I scrolled through my list of groceries.

“Nope”

I scrolled through my list and pouted as I crashed out the extra sweets I’d always gifted myself every week, the wine for when I feel like drinking after a tiring day, and these cupcakes that I gifted my nieces one time but ended up loving them myself. I sighed heavily and adjusted our needs while keeping in mind my budget.

“If you’re having problems with the money, I can ju—”

“Shh!” I glared at her before going back to my list and continued adjusting. I heard a light chuckle beside me, making me glare at Byul again.

“What?” she asked, eyebrows rising up with her teasing smile on. “Just buy whatever you want. Don’t worry about the money”

I stopped walking and raised a finger closer to her face. She eyed my index finger, raising a questioning brow at it. That smile never left her face and I’m quite sure her existence is to merely annoy me.

“Number one, we’re not buying whatever we want. We’re on a tight budget here, Miss Moon”

She tried to argue but I stopped her right when she opened .

I raised two fingers this time and said, “Number two, if you try to argue with me again, then find your own accommodations.” I pointed to myself and said, “My house. My rules”

She nodded as she said, “Yes, mam”

My eyes narrowed at her while she continued smiling at me. She’s definitely staying

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter