Chapter Nine

Lock Me Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(no subject)
Hye Jin {[email protected]}
to Moon Star

MANSAENG, I DID IT!

 

(no subject)
Moon Star {[email protected]}
to me

YOU DID WHAT? Your license? Did you get it?

 

(no subject)
Hye Jin {[email protected]}
to Moon Star

Yes! I am a legitimate driver already! Third time’s the charm they say!

 

(no subject)
Moon Star {[email protected]}
to me

Congratulations, babe! I knew you’d get it. I’m so proud of you!
I have a five-minute break. I’ll call in a few seconds, okay? I want to hear you say it to me.

 

(no subject)
Hye Jin {[email protected]}
to Moon Star

Call now! Hurry!

 

Exactly eight o’clock and there’s still no sign of a Mrs. Kim inside the building. It’s not a Kim Yongsun thing to do to not show up earlier or on time for work. She hates waiting and wasting time and she embodies that principle perfectly. Perfectly. Knowing that Wheein is away for an exhibit for a week, I gave Yong a chance and waited for five more minutes. If she still wouldn’t show up, by then, I’ll start worrying.

I started working on something else since I had nothing left to do yet. I grabbed my flask and drank coffee as I glanced on the bottom right of my screen. Three minutes left and there’s still no sign of Yong. By the time there’s only a minute left, I stopped moving and working. I rapidly tapped my nail on my table and stared at the door, wishing for a blonde haired woman to march in.

When her five minutes were up, I grabbed my phone and dialed Yong’s number. I sighed heavily as I leaned back on my chair, bringing my phone to my ear. The moment our call connected, I instantly sat up.

“Hyejin…” Yong murmured, clearly sounding sick.

“Should I call in sick for you?” I asked, eyebrows furrowing from worry.

“I don’t know… I don’t understand what I’m feeling right now”

I hurriedly packed my things as I said, “I’ll go there. Let me just send an email to notify everyone of your absence.” I used my shoulder to hold my phone to my ear as I started composing the notice. “Give me five minutes then I’ll get to you.”

“I think I’m about to throw up.”

There were a lot of movements on her end. I could even hear her gagging, making me scrunch up my nose.

“Talk to you later” Yong hurriedly said, hearing her gag again before our call disconnected.

I placed my phone on my bag and finished up the notice. Once I was done, I turned off my computer, decided to bring my work tablet with me, and then kept my notebook back in my drawer. I lifted my bag and pushed back from my chair. I jogged towards the elevators, stopping by my coworkers’ office on the same floor to inform them that Yong had a personal emergency.

Yong has this button that would decline anyone from using the elevator so it would go straight to whichever floor she wanted. She has given me permission to use this but she rarely uses this. And so I didn’t use it either. We only used this one time when we had an urgent emergency meeting with the Australian Division.

Right now feels right to use that privilege. I’m worried about Yong and her state right now. I pressed the gold VIP button before swiping my ID on the elevator’s scanner. Once permitted, I pressed the button for the main lobby. My hand landed on the necklace Byul gave me for Christmas. I stared at the panel above the doors while tracing the pendant with my finger. The elevator went straight from the very top floor down to the main lobby in exactly seventeen seconds.

I counted.

I rushed out of the building and hailed for a taxi. It would be faster this way than to run back to my apartment to get Byul’s car. She has given it to me but I’d still call it hers. Also, I have passed my license but I’m still a little sprout when it comes to driving. Right now is an emergency that requires more than my turtle-pace driving.

By the time I reached the Kims’ condo, my face was already glistening with sweat. I ran my tongue on my lips, wetting them as I panted from the sudden marathon. I rang the doorbell and rested a hand on the doorframe. I opened my flask and drank coffee like it’s my water.

The door finally opened and I saw Yong looking so messy. Her hair was tied in a messy bun and was all over the place. She hasn’t taken a bath yet and was still wearing her pajamas. Bags were wearing down below her eyes and she could barely stand straight.

“Hey…” she mumbled.

“Want to make a bet?” I asked, inviting myself in. I closed the door behind me and placed my arm around her waist to keep her steady. “I think you’re pregnant. You and Wheein did it, didn’t you?”

We walked towards her couch while my eyes scanned the paintings hung on the living room. It still amazes me how Wheein perfectly painted Yong from memory. The paintings they have here were the ones displayed on the second floor of the first gallery I’ve ever organized for Wheein. I’m sure they’ve hidden somewhere in their house, my guess is in their bedroom, Wheein’s huge painting of Yong.

I’ve seen it. Got mesmerized by it. The painting, not Yong. It was like she took a photo of Yong instead of painting her. The delicate features and the tiniest details of Yong’s face, Wheein captured them all.

Yong groaned and unceremoniously dropped herself on the couch. “How would you know?”

I went to their kitchen to grab water for myself and for Yong. “I have two older sisters, Yong. I got three nieces from them”

I carried two glasses and a pitcher of water on my way back to the living room. I placed them on the table and poured us water. I sat beside Yong as we drank water. She only took a couple sips while I finished my entire glass.

“Tell me…” I sat up and faced Yong. “Are you craving something?”

She looked hesitant at first as she heaved a huge sigh. “There’s this strawberry cupcake and mango juice that Wheein bought for me… I didn't drink coffee back then. We went to Busan that day”

I grabbed my phone and listed that down. “You remember where she bought them then?

“Are you buying them?”

I looked up from my phone and silently laughed at her expectant face. “Yup. The first thing that a good partner should do is to answer their partner’s cravings when they're pregnant. That’s what my brothers-in-law told me. And since Missus Kim is out of town, I’m stepping in”

“We’re still not sure if we were successful or not” Yong whispered, fidgeting the hem of her shirt.

“We can go to the hospital to confirm it if you want to”

She pouted at her fingers playing with her shirt as she sighed heavily. She frowned at me next, looking so far from the Kim Group Inc. president I see in the office five times a week. She looked weak, vulnerable, and scared, exactly the opposite of the Kim Group Inc. president that I know.

“But what if we failed?”

“But what if you didn’t? If a tiny Kim heir is staying in your womb, you have to be very careful for you and your baby. We need to know so you and Wheein can prepare. And frankly, there are a lot of things to prepare, Yong”

I softly chuckled at the pout on her lips. She definitely got this from her wife.

“Your baby would need and demand more than what your company needs”

She sighed heavily once again as she sunk further on the couch. “Okay… , I’m nervous”

“You need to practice not to curse all the ti—” I laughed when Yong suddenly covered with her hand while her eyes widened. “You wouldn’t like it if your baby’s first word is a curse word, Mrs. Kim” I said, still laughing at Yong.

She slowly dropped her hand from . She turned to face me and softly whispered, “Will you help me?”

“That’s why I’m here right now”

“But this is outside of your work already”

“I wouldn’t have a job if I didn't have a boss,” I said, shrugging nonchalantly. “And I’d rather be here than face your executives by myself in the office.” Then I grinned at Yong as I said, “Just don’t mark me absent or late. I still need to pay my bills, Miss Kim”

She rolled her eyes while I laughed shamelessly. Her dimples slowly appeared when she couldn’t stop herself from smiling. “I’ll even pay you double”

“That’s why I love working with you, Yong.” I grabbed our glasses and the pitcher of water. I brought them back to the kitchen as I said, “Don’t tell Wheein about that or else your wife will all be whiny and pouty”

Yong’s loud laugh echoed in their house’s walls. “Oh, I’m definitely telling her! It’s something to brag about”

“Traitor!”

“I’m just relaying to her whatever you said to me” Yong answered, her voice getting louder as she got closer to the kitchen.

I placed the glasses in their sink and returned the pitcher to their fridge. I scrunched up my nose as I faced Yong and said, “Go take a bath, Yong. You stink!”

“Sheesh…” She pushed herself off the wall and started heading towards their bedroom. “I think I can still handle going to work today. I don’t feel like throwing up anymore”

“You’ll always feel sick if you’re pregnant but it usually happens in the morning”

“Let me just take a shower then we’ll head to the company right after” Yong said, her voice fading this time.

I headed back to their living room where I placed my bag. I grabbed my work tablet and sat on the couch. I started adjusting Yong’s schedule while waiting for her. “I’ll slacken your schedule. I don’t like overworking a pregnant woman. Wheein would kill me if I wouldn’t let you rest once she finds out that you’re pregnant”

“About that!”

I looked behind me and saw Yong in her bathrobe now.

“Don’t tell Wheein yet. Once we confirm that I am really pregnant, let me tell it to her, okay?”

“Of course.” I turned to my tablet again and asked, “Would you like me to schedule you an appointment with the doctor tomorrow?”

“Yes, Hyejin. Thank you!”

“I’ll also have your strawberry cupcake and mango juice delivered in the company”

“Yes!”

I chuckled at her eagerness.

“That’s why I love working with you, Hyejin” Yong said from somewhere in their bedroom.

“Should I tell Joy about this?” I teased Yong.

“Don’t you dare!”

“Okay, I won’t” I said, laughing louder this time.

One thing that my in-laws told me is that you shouldn’t tease a pregnant woman about their weight or their figure. You shouldn’t tease them about their growing eating habits or their growing belly. You shouldn’t tease them about their clothes’ fit. To be safe, just don’t tease them at all.

I know I shouldn’t, but it’s kind of fun to try it at least once.

 

Yong and I were sitting close to each other while we held hands. We’re sitting in front of the doctor’s table, waiting for her to release her pregnancy results. I accompanied Yong this morning for the test. They took her blood and asked us to come back later for the results.

Here we are now. Uneasy, impatient, breathing deeply, nervous as hell, and couldn’t stop ourselves from shaking.

I asked Yong if she wanted the doctor to sign a non-disclosure agreement to protect her and her baby if she’s positive. She told me there’s no need for that anymore. If things go down that way, she said she can easily threaten the hospital or even deem the doctor unemployed. Forever. 

That’s really scary. Good thing is I’m always on her good side and that we’re friends.

Although, she added that she trusts the doctor. It was the doctor who they were able to talk to for the IVF. She was also with them when they evaluated the donors.

“Kim Yongsun…” the doctor said, walking in the room with a paper in her hand.

We both instantly sat up while the doctor smiled at us.

“Kim Yongsun. That’s me. Yes, doc?” Yong stammered.

If this was any other day, if I wasn’t as nervous as Yong, and if she wasn’t pregnant, I might’ve laughed at her. It’s always fun and interesting to see all sides of people. Makes you get to know them better.

The doctor raised the paper as she sat across from us. “I have your results here. Do you want me to say it or do you want to read it yourself?”

“Just say it, doc. Let’s get over with it now”

Her hand tightened around mine, making me groan for a second.

I glanced at Yong and saw that she had her eyes closed tightly. Wheein would’ve loved to be in this room with Yong. She would be more nervous than Yong, probably freezing in her seat or panicking already. It would’ve been an experience she and Yong wanted to look back on together.

But since I’m here, I’ll try to narrate everything that transpired on this day to her.

I held Yong close to me before I nodded at the doctor, asking her to put us out of our misery already. Just by the look on Yong’s face, she was already holding her breath as she waited for the announcement.

The doctor had a huge smile on her face as she said, “Congratulations, Mrs. Kim. You’re close to three weeks pregnant already”

“Gah…” Yong whispered as she released the breath she was holding and slowly loosened her hold on my hand. She leaned back on her chair again, breathing heavily. “I think I need my mango juice,” she whispered, making me laugh at her.

“We did it, Mrs. Kim. Your wife would be thrilled to hear the news”

“Speaking of my wife, don’t tell Wheein anything yet. I wanted to surprise her and our family once she gets back from Switzerland” Yong mumbled beside me, looking so tired already. The smile on her face would tell anyone otherwise though. “I can’t wait to see her reaction”

“She’ll definitely cry like a baby” I offered, making Yong giggle.

“Oh, definitely. But she’ll be happy. We both are”

Yong kept the results before we said goodbye. Since she was tired already and I’m a legitimate driver now, I drove us back to their home. I dropped by her place this morning and brought with me a weeks-worth of clothes. Because of Yong’s pregnancy symptoms, she’s having a hard time all by herself in the house. I stayed to accompany her. Basically, live with her and make sure that she’s doing fine. Other than the feeling of exhaustion, slight dizziness, vomiting in the morning, a little headache, Yong’s doing perfectly fine. She’s as fine as a pregnant woman can get. It doesn’t feel good all the time, like my sisters said, but it’s normal.

We both cooked dinner together, but like Byul, Yong doesn’t know much in terms of cooking.

“Wheein does the cooking most of the time,” Yong said to me this morning when I made breakfast for us.

Byul and Yong both work all the time. Bred to run the business their family owned. Raised to be the heirs of their respective families. I guess that’s why Yong fought against her father to be with Wheein and Byul slept with pretty much any woman who would throw themselves at her as their sign of rebellion.

After dinner, Yong called Wheein while I went to the guestroom’s bathroom to wash up. I found Yong sitting on the living room couch with her laptop in front of her and her phone in her ear, still talking to Wheein. When she saw me walking towards her, she pulled her phone down and covered it with her hand.

“Your phone’s been buzzing since I got here. It must’ve been from someone important” she whispered before she raised her phone back to her ear. “Baby, what were you saying earlier?”

I calmly walked to get my phone on the table but deep down, I was panicking. I forgot to hide my phone from Yong. What if she’d seen Byul’s emails? Even if Byul was using her private email, Yong didn’t have to think too much to figure out that Moon Star is just a play on Byul’s name.

I grabbed Yong’s attention and silently told her that I’ll be on the balcony. She gave me a thumbs-up before she went back to talking to Wheein while working. I told her not to overwork herself but she’s just as stubborn as Byul. I’ll just have to drag her to bed if it’s already late.

On the balcony, I stayed by the glass door where I could see if Yong would come near here or not. I opened my phone and saw three unread emails from Byul.

 

(no subject)
Moon Star {[email protected]}
to me

I’m on my way to work. Can I call you now?

 

(no subject)
Moon Star {[email protected]}
to me

Hey, babe… Are you still busy? You didn’t mention that you're working overtime. Are you still eating dinner? Tell me if it’s a good time to call you already, okay?

 

(no subject)
Moon Star {[email protected]}
to me

Jin… Did I do something bad? Why aren’t you talking to me? Did something happen there? Want me to go there? Tell me if it’s a good time to call already, okay? I’ll wait.

 

The last email was sent two minutes ago so it still wasn't too late for me to call her. Her last email also made me feel guilty because she sounded really worried but was still trying to be patient with me.

 

(no subject)
Hye Jin {[email protected]}
to Moon Star

I’m sorry. I’ll call you in a second.

 

I had my camera off and my microphone muted as I waited for Byul to come in. While waiting, my eyes were inside the house. I could see a glimpse of Yong with her phone still close to her ear. I’m scared I might throw my phone from this level of the building if I’d just see her stand up. I’m nervous Yong might catch us.

“Please let me see your face, babe” Byul’s voice came in.

My eyes went back to my phone and smiled when I saw her pouting face. From the angle where she put her phone, I could see her from her chest up. She’s already dressed in her usual three-piece suit while heading for work. Every time we start doing video calls, I’m always headed to bed while she’s headed to work. Because of that the interior of her car is a sight familiar to me already.

I unmuted myself first and said, “I’m sorry I wasn’t able to reply to your emails”

“It’s okay. Why is it so dark there? Are you sleepy already?” Her eyebrows furrowed as she leaned closer to her phone. “I can’t see you”

I turned my phone’s camera on, leaning back as I lifted my legs up on the chair.

Byul smiled at me the moment she saw my face, her eyes bouncing from her phone to the road in front of her. “Hi, babe” she said.

“Hi. Focus on driving”

“I am!” she answered with a frown while I giggled at her. “Are you on a business trip? Where are you?”

“I’m in Wheein and Yong’s house”

Her eyebrows shot up while her eyes stayed looking at me a few seconds longer. She focused on the road again, her eyebrows furrowing this time as she said, “Wheein’s in Switzerland now, right? Are you babysitting your boss? Is she paying you to do that now?”

“Honestly, that’s exactly what’s happening” I replied, giggling at the frown on her lips. I glanced to where Yong was still sitting in the living room and said, “Yong would kill me for saying this so you have to promise me you won’t say whatever I’m going to say to you now”

Laughing, Byul nodded and said, “I promise”

“They’re expecting. Yong’s three weeks pregnant already”

Her eyes widened as she gasped so loud. She has become increasingly animated the more we talked to each other. She smiled while her facial features relaxed and gave way to her dimples when she heard me laughing.

“You’re babysitting the pregnant woman”

I nodded as I said, “I’m babysitting the pregnant woman”

“And you’re staying there until Wheein comes back?”

“Exactly”

“So that means, no video calls when you’re heading to work yet?”

I smiled sadly as I shook my head. “I’m sorry”

“That’s totally fine, babe. I can still contact you at that time, right?”

“Of course”

The exchanging of emails started very discreetly at first. It doesn’t happen everyday. It doesn’t come so frequently. Gradually, they arrived more often and I started spending time writing personal emails than sending texts. We used to just check on each other via email but now, we’re already doing video calls to share about our day. It became an everyday thing. It became a routine.

I smiled so wide, feeling excited just wanting to tell her about my day. “Oh yeah!”

She saw me smiling and matched my smile with her own. “What is it?”

“I drove us to work, to the hospital, and then back here. We used Yong’s car but I was able to use my license as a driver!” I said, my voice overflowing with pride.

The outside of Byul’s car darkened, which tells me that she has entered her building’s parking lot already. Her attention was divided between parking her car and me. Despite this, the smile on her face and the pride in her eyes never faded.

“And how did it go?”

“I did well! I think I’m improving already. I don’t drive so slow now”

She pulled the handbrake and undid her seatbelt. Then she turned to face me as she clapped her hands so loud, making me laugh. I got slightly embarrassed about how I boasted about my driving skills to her.

“Woah… Jinnie’s improving already! I’m proud of you, babe”

“You should be” I said, biting the inside of my cheek when I felt myself blushing while hearing Byul laughing on her end.

“Let me get out of the car first. Don’t hang up yet”

While Byul was busy on her end, I glanced at Yong, remembering that I’m in her place, and sighed in relief when I could still see her on her phone.

“Do you have to go now?” Byul asked, bringing my attention to her.

She had the phone closer to her now and I could only see her face this time. Just by the slight bounce of her movements, I could tell that she’s already walking to the main lobby of her building.

I’ve memorized her movements already. Drive to work. Park the car. Climb up to the main lobby and then head to the elevators. From the elevators, the signal is always nasty so we couldn’t hear much of each other. We’ll just stare at our phones, at each other, and wait for the signal to stabilize. And then we’ll carry on with our conversation. She doesn’t seem to be bothered talking to me while in her company but seems conscious around others, especially with Wheein and Yong.

“No… Just checking on Yong. She’s still on the phone with Wheein”

She smiled and greeted the guards in her company. Her eyes resumed jumping from where she’s going to her phone, gaze lingering on her phone more. The wide smile was back again as she said, “Mom’s visiting me with Jihye and Hana later for lunch”

“Is that so? I could feel that you are excited all the way here from the Kim’s balcony”

“I am!” she answered right away while I softly laughed at her. “Mom called before I left my condo to say that Jihye’s trying a new recipe. Said she wants my opinion and Hana wants to tag along. They’ll be bringing me lunch too”

“That’s so sweet of them”

“I’ll send you pictures of it later.” She stopped walking while her eyes stayed on me this time. “I’ll tell you how it tasted and maybe you can help her improve if Jihye’s recipe needed it since you’re also good at cooking. For now, I’m going inside the elevator. Hang on, babe”

“Okay…”

I glanced at Yong again and was glad that she’s still talking to Wheein. I rested my arm on my knees and propped my chin on it, patiently waiting for the connection to stabilize. Byul’s eyes are alert and are staring at me intently. Mine looked tired, for sure, but I’m also staring at her face, memorizing the curves and slopes of her features.

The frame was still moving slowly when Byul was getting out of the elevator. Once she stepped out, she wasn’t freezing on my phone screen anymore.

“It’s okay now. I’m looking forward to whatever Jihye cooked for you”

“Yong rarely cooks so you’re the one cooking there, aren’t you?”

I chuckled as I nodded at her.

She pouted while her cute little nose scrunched up while pushing the president’s office door with her shoulders. “I wish I was Yong right now. I missed your cooking, babe”

“Do you wish you get dizzy from time to time, get tired so easily, and have a bit of a killer migraine in the morning with the urge of throwing up the moment you get out of bed? You want that?”

Her frown got deeper the more I added to the list of symptoms Yong’s experiencing. She even stopped walking as she pouted at me. “Babe…”

“What?” I asked, unable to hold back a giggle.

“If you phrase it like that, then of course I don’t want to. I meant about something else”

“You did say you wished to be—”

“I know what I said. You’re really making this difficult for me, aren’t you?” she said, playfully narrowing her eyes.

“Mansaengie… Mansaeng…” I teased, giggling and enjoying it.

She sighed heavily and shook her head as she resumed walking. As much as she didn’t want to smile, she couldn’t stop her lips from curling up. “You’re lucky you’re cute, babe. Are you wearing it?”

I leaned back and raised the pendant of my necklace to show it to her. The necklace that she gave to me for Christmas. “Everyday”

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Yong standing up from the couch. I looked at the time on my phone screen and saw that it’s time for the pregnant woman to go to bed already.

“Do you have to go now?”

“Yeah… Yong has to go to bed and if she still works when it’s already late for her, I’ll have to drag her to bed. I mean it”

“Jinnie so feisty…” she whispered while I rolled my eyes at her, making her laugh. She waved her other hand at me and said, “I’ll talk to you later. Good night, Jin”

“Good morning, Byul”

“Send me a morn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter