Chapter 9

Behind The Scenes (Chanyeol Fanfic)

Third Person's POV

3 months have passed since the first evaluation. They were asked to prepare for their performance for their Demo Stage, which will also be their 1st shooting for the survival show. 

During their 3 months' practice, Sky gained so much popularity with the trainees, not only because of her high ranking but also because of how friendly she is. It also helped L to meet new friends.

Now, it's the day of their first shoot. Before entering the studio, everyone is obviously nervous. Some are practicing at the corner, the others keep on checking their make-up in the mirror, while others, like Sky, are talking to other trainees to lessen the pressure.

And there, at the corner, L. She's listening to the song she and Sky prepared, trying to remember all the lyrics while imagining their choreograph. She's also praying she'll do well this time because this is really a group performance and she doesn't want to embarrass Sky again. 

In the span of 3 months, L practiced so hard for this day. She usually sleeps for 2 to 3 hours and she's always the first and last person to be seen in their practice studio. Performing in front of cameras is one of her routines in practicing. She thought that she should solve her camera shyness first so she'll be able to perform well the next time she steps up the stage. This is just one of the basic things an idol must learn and if she really wants to become one, she should overcome it. She also tried to speak more with other trainees because speaking well in front of other people is also a need as an idol. 

"Okay, everyone, listen up!" a staff called our attention, "You'll be entering the studio group by group. So the first group may enter now then the next group should standby," she continued. 

Each group from different companies entered the studio according to their group number. Then the independent trainees are called. There's a total of 4 persons who are considered independent trainees, including Sky and L. They all entered the studio and bright lights and trainees welcomed them. They bowed to each other as a sign of respect.

"Unni, can we seat at the lower seats? I'm actually a near-sighted," L asked Sky, which made the latter laugh because most trainees chose higher seats thinking it would affect their final rankings, and here's L, wanting to seat at a lower seat because of her poor eye-sight. 

"Okay, then," Sky replied and they sat at the front seat while the other two independent trainees sat beside their respective groups. 

Everyone has already entered and it's time to start the show. 

The host was announced and Lee Dong Wook entered the stage. Everyone expressed their reactions after seeing the actor. 

"Wah! He's so tall!"

"He looks more handsome in person!"

"Omo! He looks so dashing!"

While the others are commenting on his looks, there's L crouching and squinting her eyes trying to look at Lee Dong Wook closely. The actor noticed it so he stepped a little closer and said, "Can you see me more clearly now?" he asked looking at L, which made her make a shocked look and made everyone laugh. 

"Ah. Ne! Annyeong haseyo!" she replied then stood up and bowed at him. Everyone found her adorable with her actions that's why everyone laughed again. 

"Aigoo. So cute," Sky commented to her which made her blush. 

"Thank you for welcoming me warmly. Allow me to introduce myself to everyone. Annyeong haseyo, MC Lee Dong Wook-imnida and I'll be representing all of you throughout this whole program," he introduced and bowed. Everyone clapped for him and was excited for what will happen in the next few months. 

"Let me now announce the judges that will join us for this show. For the vocal trainers, Lee Seok-hoon and Shin Yu-mi. The dance trainers are Kwon Jae-Seung and Choi Young-jun. For the KPop trainers, it will be Sunmi, Tiffany, and BOA. Let's all welcome them!" the actor announce and the trainers entered one by one.

Everyone is in awe because of their auras. It's obvious that they're veterans which makes them more reliable and dependable in judging the trainees. 

"For the Demo Stage that will happen today, each trainee will be asked to reveal the individual rankings that they got from the video performance 3 months ago before performing on stage. After each group performance, the trainers will give you rankings from A to F, with A as the highest rank," Lee Dong Wook explained the mechanics to the trainees. 

The program started with a group of trainees from Fantagio. Their rankings were revealed on the screen which is: 1, 5, 8. It is the group of Ha Bong Cha. They made a great impact on the judges and audience with their colorful furry robes and their inside clothes are covered with these robes partnered with tall white heels. 

They started to introduce themselves and the judges asked them one by one, "Ha Bong Cha trainee, you've ranked number 1 among all the trainees here. What can you say about it?" Sunmi asked which the trainee answered, "Well, I think it's the fruit of my hard work during all those years I've spent in training. And with our performance today, I am confident that we won't disappoint you."

Everyone clapped with what she said. She knows who she is and she's really confident about herself, which makes L envy her.

They started to perform the Something New song. It was obvious that they practiced really hard because of how synchronized they were. Their vocals are also on a different level with their y choreography on the side. Ha Bong Cha showed a split in the middle of their performance which made the audience open their mouths in shock at how flexible she is. They ended it with a big smile and attractive post and everyone just clapped and gave them a standing ovation.

That was a really great performance for the first group and that made the other trainees nervous again. They can't help but admire and envy the first group. They're beautiful and have good singing and dancing skills.

As one of the judges said, "Wah. I think this group is ready for debut already. I have nothing to say."

Everyone was in awe of the big compliment from the judge. Everyone wanted to receive the same compliment too.

And without a doubt, all the members of their group received an A grade from the judges. They exited the stage and congratulated each other.

L and Sky congratulated them when they walked in front of them but Ha Bong Cha didn't mind and just walked away.

The next set of trainees performed and everyone was so good which didn't help the anxious L, whose hands are sweating so much.

Even the group of Yoo Cho Hee received good results from the judges.

Everyone received praise from the judges and as more groups finish their performance, it makes Sky and L's team get closer to being called. It makes them more nervous with all the compliments from the judges.

But the next set of trainees before their team didn't really make the judges happy. They were off-tunes in singing and not synchronized dance.

The next team before them is now on stage and they're now on standby backstage. They can see what's happening on stage through the monitor placed backstage.

The trainees on stage started to perform and they were so good at first but they lost their synchronization in the middle. One member got off-key and the reactions from the judges' faces are not so good. Another member almost fell because of her heels. 

"You were all smiling but I felt like it's not a genuine smile," BOA commented and everyone was silenced. She's so scary when she's serious.

Eventually, they all got F grades. Now, Sky and L are now more nervous than they could ever be.

"Can we have a quick break, please?" BOA asked the staff. "Those set of trainees stressed me out," she continued. She said it with a smile but the trainees were so scared of her aura at the moment. 

The staff agreed so Sky and L's performance is halted for 15 minutes. L hugged Sky so tight, trying to make their nervousness get away. They just stayed backstage as the staff asked them to do.

They can hear Lee Dong Wook and the other judges trying to lighten up the mood outside and they wished they were there too to laugh with them. 

The 15-minute break ended in just a snap and they become anxious again. They hugged each other again then shouted 'Fighting!' before going on stage.

Their ranks are shown on the big screen and the long gap of their ranks is so visible. One 98th rank and the other is the 2nd rank. The judges noticed it right away and looked at the two trainees on stage. 

"Please introduce yourself," Lee Dong Wook said. 

"2, 3. Annyeong haseyo, we're the complete opposites, Magnet-imnida!" they started to introduce.

"Annyeong haseyo! A camera-shy person but wants to be an idol, L-imnida!" L started. "Annyeong haseyo! A person who doesn't know how to be shy, Sky-imnida!" Sky finished. 

Everyone laughed at their cute introduction because they're really the complete opposite of each other.  

"Sky trainee, it says here that you've trained for 4 years already then you quit?" Tiffany asked Sky, which she answered with a yes. 

"What made you change your mind?" Tiffany's follow-up question. 

"I think that X Produce 99 will be my last chance to achieve my dream of becoming an idol," she answered. "I wasn't able to debut with my friends but I'm using this chance to go after them and be at the stage together again, even if we're not in the same group anymore," she continued. 

Each trainee that has trained for several years can totally relate to her. They have trained all their lives for a dream that they will debut someday. They have lost their teenage year while training so hard for their dream and with the help of this show, they are hoping that this would be the answer to their prayers. 

Kwon Jae-Seung, one of the dance trainers, puts his attention to L. "L trainee, it says here that you have trained for 3 months only?" he asked L, which she nodded and said yes as a response.

"And you're even an independent trainee?" he asked again and she nodded with yes. "Well, that explains her low rank," he whispered to his co-judges after putting down his mic. 

"You may start now," Lee Dong Wook said to them and they both bowed and positioned themselves. 

They're both wearing a school uniform for boys. Sky is wearing a white polo long sleeves with a loose necktie partnered with gray slacks. On the other hand, L is wearing a gray coat on top of her white long sleeves and a neat necktie with a partner of gray slacks as well. Since they are both EXO-L, they came to an agreement to perform their national anthem which is Growl. 

Everyone is anticipating their performance because of curiosity on how they will decrease the gap of their ranks through this performance, while some are feeling pity for Sky because she got partnered up with a low-rank trainee. 

The two trainees on stage are bowing down their heads and as soon as the song starts, they both faced the audience on beat with the song. Sky started the song with her appealing charisma

Yo, okay
나 혹시 몰라 경고하는데
지금 위험해
자꾸 나를 자극하지마
나도 날 몰라

They both showed their best in performing. L is in charge of the high notes. The song was actually rearranged by L and as part of her rearrangement, it was cut off in the middle so the two of them will have a dance break. She also inserted a trumpet sound to make it more exciting.  

During the dance break, they showed powerful dance moves which makes the audience shouts "Woah!" The dance break choreography was actually the idea of the both of them and they mixed their ideas to make this amazing performance. In one part of it, L is at the center dancing a daring part and she made sure she looked at Kwon Jae-Seung then winked at him.

'You can do this!'

'Think that you're the best in the world!'

'Kill them with great performance!'

These are the things that are going on with L's mind while performing.

At the chorus part, both of them made sure they didn't miss any cameras focusing on them and did their best. All the charisma and iness they have inside were poured into this performance. L also added some ad-libs while Sky sings the chorus. And they finish the song with a big blow and pose. 

Everyone was shocked by how transformed L was. L's eyes looked different instantly the moment she started performing. Her trainee friends are excited and happy for her while the others are watching with their mouths open.

They received a standing ovation not only with the trainees but also from the judges. They are all clapping for them while they catch up on their breaths after performing. 

"Wow! I don't know what to say," Kwon Jae-Seung started. "I feel like I got betrayed by L trainee," he added and everyone laughed at his comment. 

"L trainee, you really did great this time. You made me realize that I shouldn't judge a person by their ranking. You really killed this stage!" he finished and everyone clapped for L in agreement. L smiled widely and bowed then said her thank you to him.

BOA raised her mic as a sign that she wants to say something too, "I just saw that L rearranged this song?" she asked and the person in question nodded. "And you're saying you're just a 3-month old trainee?!" she said, shocked by how a 3-month old trainee can do this kind of art. 

Other trainees were shocked as well with the news that their fellow trainee rearranged it. 

"She's practically a genius at this point. We're all betrayed by her video performance," Lee Seok-hoon, the vocal trainer, commented which the other judges agreed to. 

"Who choreographed this whole song?" asked the other dance trainer, which Sky answered. "Both of us contributed to the whole choreography." 

"Everyone, I think we have an all-rounder in the house!" the dance trainer announced pointing to L then everyone cheered for her. She bowed 90 degrees and said thank you, embarrassed with the sudden hype for her. She looked at Sky and the latter is smiling widely at her as if she's saying that she's proud of L. 

"We'll now announce your grades," Lee Seok Hun begins, "Sky trainee..." he paused.

"B grade," he continued. L instantly hugged Sky when she heard her grade, thinking that she didn't affect Sky's grade. 

She's really nervous for Sky's grade more than she's nervous for her own grade because she knows she'll get a low grade anyway and she doesn't want Sky to be affected by it. So she's really happy for her. 

"We're not yet done announcing your grades. Don't celebrate yet," the vocal trainer joked and the whole studio laughed. The two bowed and said sorry. "No. I'm just kidding," he chuckled. 

"Let me announce L's grade," Kwon Jae-Seung whispered to the vocal trainer and he willingly gave the cue sheet to the former. 

"L trainee, your grade is..." Kwon Jae Seung paused and looked at her with a smile.

"A grade."