Suspicious Escape.

Third Time's the Charm [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Suspicious Escape.

 

Soonbok stared intently at information displayed on the tablet she was holding. Na Jaemin’s test results were a clear positive for both heroin and crack . There was no arguing that the young male was a long-time user. As for the codeine, much to Soonbok’s dismay, she was unable to trace their origin.

 

Her train of thoughts was disrupted when she noticed movements from the corner of her eyes. Turning her body around, Soonbok quickly recollected herself. Jaemin stirred awake. He squinted due to the ceiling lights glaring down at him and jolted in discomfort when he found himself attached to various machines.

 

“Can you tell me your name and where you are?”

 

Soonbok spoke in a soft voice, her eyes gentle and calm. She waited patiently for an answer but was met with silence. Jaemin had his mouth pursed shut, his eyes flitting around the room and refusing to acknowledge Soonbok’s presence.

 

“You were found unconscious and brought in by ambulance,” Soonbok explained. “Do you remember what happened?”

 

Again, no response came. It did not go unnoticed by Soonbok though how Jaemin glanced furtively towards his marked arms.

 

“We found 1 gram of heroin and 1 gram of crack in your possession, along with a bottle of codeine,” Soonbok continued. “That’s a dangerous combination and increases the risk of overdose significantly.”

 

Unperturbed by the lack of engagement, Soonbok propped herself down in a chair. She made herself comfortable, showing that she was in hurry to go anywhere.

 

“We won’t be notifying the authorities. However I do need to know about your history and pattern of use in order to offer you the appropriate treatment and the support you need. You are safe here.”

 

Maybe her mellow voice had somehow softened Jaemin’s edge as his barrier lowered ever so slightly. Jaemin’s lips quivered, a plea of help seemingly threatening to push its way out only to be swallowed back in. Unsure of what may have triggered his fight-or-flight response, the guarded expression re Jaemin’s face.

 

“Is this your first overdose?” Soonbok probed, again with no results. “Ever heard of naloxone? It’s a very handy thing to have for heroin users. It’s an opioid antagonist, meaning it can rapidly reverse opioid overdose.”

 

Taking out the familiar yellow box, Soonbok scanned the serial number before placing it next to Jaemin. Seeing this, Jaemin’s eyebrows rose in surprise. This action highlighted just how juvenile he was. Soonbok studied his face. He was a handsome fellow, however heroin and crack abuse had harshened his boyish features. His skin was ashen. His already large eyes were intensified by the sagging eye-bags. His cheekbones protruded, creating a gaunt effect. Underneath all that though, Soonbok was certain she saw a lost child seeking for help. So what was preventing him from speaking up? What was holding him back? What was his story?

 

Fully aware that this was going nowhere, Soonbok offered Jaemin one final smile of encouragement as she stood up. At least for now, Soonbok determined that he was at no risk. She could always attempt to conduct further assessment when he found himself more settled and comfortable.

 

“I meant it when I said you are safe here. I’ll be back to check in on you later. Have a think about my offer for treatment. I’m pretty good at my job.”

 

Ending the conversation on a jovial tone, Soonbok closed the curtains behind her, safely shutting Jaemin away from the chaos of the ER. He had been placed in the innermost bed and in direct view from the nurse’s station. Exchanging a heavy smile with Jongin, Soonbok shuffled towards Sehun who was attempting to scrub blood off his scrubs.

 

“That’s pointless you know.” Earning a look of annoyance from Sehun, Soonbok smirked. “Consultation please.”

 

The doctor and nurse pair made their way towards the staff office. Soonbok glanced wearily towards where Jaemin was and Sehun followed her gaze.

 

“How’s he doing?”

 

“Unwilling to engage but that’s not surprising,” Soonbok sighed.

 

“Is he a danger to himself or others?” Sehun questioned hesitantly.

 

“You mean other than the fact that he injects, and that in itself opens a gateway to all sorts of risks?” Soonbok snorted sarcastically. “There are obvious physical health concerns related to substance use. He has capacity so unless he consents, I can’t force any treatment on him. If he had been brou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter