Commitment.

Third Time's the Charm [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Commitment.

 

Soonbok and Sehun walked wordlessly along the quiet streets. Their steps were slightly out of sync, and even their shadows seemed to be tackling each other as they pass by one street light after another. Sehun had little to say following the heavy conversation they had in the hospital garden. Soonbok did not push the male either, allowing him time to digest and reflect on everything that had happened. If the recent incidents bolstered Sehun’s belief to be a doctor, then fantastic. If instead, it made him question whether he was suitable for the role, Soonbok would simply offer him guidance and support him to make the choice that was right for him.

 

This was an internal conflict that Sehun would have to tackle through by himself. No one could make the decision for him.

 

“Why the long face?”

 

A loud, gruff, yet familiar voice echoed in the air. Sehun blinked in confusion, his eyes darting around in search of where the voice had come from. Eventually he followed Soonbok’s surprised yet knowing gaze that was directed towards the building they lived in. A lone figure was leaning casually against the balcony railing which Sehun recognised as belonging to his flat. The bright indoor lights outlined the silhouette of the figure. At first Sehun thought there was an intruder, but he soon let out a foolish chuckle when his brain connected the dots. It was none other than Kyungsoo standing on the balcony, waving at Sehun and Soonbok with a bottle of beer in his hands. Soon the officer was joined by another presence. Jongin, also holding a bottle of beer, stepped out to welcome the nurse and doctor duo home.

 

“Wasn’t Jongin on shift with us?” Sehun frowned, his brain constricting in puzzlement. “How did he get back before us? Drinking beer in my flat with my best friend?”

 

“If you question every little thing and approach life demanding for logic and rationale, you’ll be leading a very exhausting life Oh Sehun,” Soonbok sighed dramatically.

 

Shoving him playfully with her shoulder, Soonbok motioned him to hurry inside as she skipped indoors, ready to escape from the winter cold. Sehun lingered behind, feeling as though his brain was going into overdrive mode.

 

“Time to shut down my brain for the day I guess,” Sehun exhaled in resignation.

 

Lightly slapping his face, Sehun hurried his pace and joined the impatient looking Soonbok inside the lift. Moments later, the two stood in front of flat 300. Before Sehun could even press the first number of the security code, the door swung open, almost slamming him in the face.

 

“Took you guys long enough,” Jongin huffed and puffed, reaching out and dragging the two latecomers into the flat, acting as though it was his own home.

 

Sehun suddenly recalled the laundry basket he had toppled over in the morning in his hurry to get to work. That minor incident resulted in the pile of neglected dirty laundry pouring out and sprawl out across the floor in full display. Panicked, his eyes darted around his flat in search of the mess but found the laundry basket standing meekly by his wardrobe, all the contents sealed tightly inside. Sehun then crossed eyes with Kyungsoo who gave him a ‘you owe me’ look. Only then did Sehun realise that his flat looked almost unrecognisingly tidy.

 

The beige leather sofa that was previously buried by scattered research papers and medical journals was now out and proud in the middle of the living room, unobstructed from view and adorned by blue striped cushions. The round oak coffee table with ornate floral engravings glistened under the lights. The burgundy floor cushions surrounding the coffee table added a pop of colour to the otherwise neutral colour palette of the interiors. Sehun sat on the wheeled desk chair, his fingers tapping rhythmically on the oak desk that had also been reorganised. Sehun then glanced at his bed, with blue striped sheets that matched the sofa cushions. It would appear that before his arrival, Kyungsoo had cleaned up the whole place to make it presentable again. Sehun then turned his attention towards Jongin, noticing the convenience store receipt sticking out of his pockets. Only then did Sehun realise the shocking amount of snacks and drinks taking over the kitchen island. Finally Sehun thought of Soonbok and how she had not given him a chance to be by himself since his outburst in the garden; how she was walking suspiciously slow on their way back home and had even taken a more roundabout route. Slowly but surely the pieces of puzzles were falling in place.

 

“Why are you smiling so creepily?” Kyungsoo deadpanned, giving his best friend a flat stare.

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter