The Oh So Esteemed Doctor.

Third Time's the Charm [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The Oh So Esteemed Doctor.

 

When Jongin entered the ER that day to start his late shift, he immediately regretted his decision for not taking the day off — it was the 1st of January after all. Standing in front of the nurse’s station was a furious Soonbok. Her hands were clutching onto the tablet so tightly that Jongin feared the equipment would break in half. Pursing his lips, Jongin approached Soonbok with careful strides and glanced wearily at the tablet, immediately recognising the name of the patient who was brought in last night due to seizure.

 

“Discharged?!?” Jongin screeched in disbelief, his pupils doubling in size when he saw the details of the patient’s discharge.

 

Knowing the context now, Jongin could only imagine the storm that was bottled up inside of the petite nurse in front of him. Standing nervously on the other side of the nurse’s station was the intern doctor who was handing over from the early shift.

 

“The consultant ordered for beds to be emptied in order to accommodate patients that require urgent care. Park Chansoo seemed to be stable so we discharged him after assessing that he was no longer under risk of seizure.”

 

“Why was a CIWA not done? I specifically asked for that yet it was completely ignored,” Soonbok interrupted. “Who on earth is this Oh Sehun and why did he think discharging a possible alcohol dependant patient with clobazam was okay?”

 

“The consultant concluded the patient may have undiagnosed epilepsy thus doctor Oh, the new resident doctor, discharged the patient with a referral for further investigat—”

 

“Who said anything about epilepsy? Do you know how dangerous it may be to prescribe clobazam to this patient?”

 

Again, the poor intern was interrupted. Soonbok’s voice remained even and monotonous, yet it still managed to ooze with threat and displeasure. Taking pity upon the intern who was only acting as messenger in this situation, Jongin stepped between them and gently squeezed Soonbok’s shoulders in reassurance.

 

“There there. It was the consultant’s decision. It’s way above the intern doctor. Also, the patient was only prescribed 2 weeks worth of clobazam.”

 

“Only two weeks?!?” Needless to say, Jongin’s attempt to dissipate Soonbok’s fury had completely backfired. “Do I need to remind you why mixing medication with sedative effects with depressants such as alcohol is a big no-no? And don’t get me started with the risk of addiction if the patient is already alcohol dependant. How many times do I have to emphasise that I mean it when I ask doctors to consult with me, and I mean really consult with me. I even wrote it in the notes. Are doctors illiterate now as well as stubborn?”

 

Jongin could only nod in agreement in a vain attempt to assuage the raging nurse. By now, Soonbok was no longer paying attention to her surroundings. Inhaling sharply, Soonbok slammed the tablet onto the counter and marched into the staff office. Seeing the girl preoccupied in her own little world, Jongin grabbed the intern doctor and the two quickly escaped. Biting on the inside of her right cheek, Soonbok logged onto a computer and scrolled through the discharged patient’s details, her left middle finger tapping indignantly against the countertop.

 

“Clobazam? Clobazam?” Soonbok muttered darkly to herself. “What was going through this darn doctor Oh’s mind? Sure, being an alcoholic wasn’t enough, let’s get him hooked on diazepam too why not? Worst case scenario the guy just drops dead somewhere.”

 

Sensing a presence hovering behind her, Soonbok’s nostri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter