Falling Puzzle Pieces.

Third Time's the Charm [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Falling Puzzle Pieces.

 

It was a windy day. The sky had a twinge of melancholic grey and the clouds were scattered around, allowing only patches of sunlight to stream through occasionally. Kyungsoo groaned loudly into his hands as his body sank deeper into the driver’s seat. He was parked outside the police headquarters, reluctant to enter and commence a new day of work due to feeling exhausted. For once however, this exhaustion was not due to countless sleepless nights on patrol or following a suspect. For the first time in a while, Kyungsoo was experiencing the repercussions of staying up late being silly with friends while forgetting all adult responsibilities.

 

Now Kyungsoo was paying the consequences. The fatigued officer was reminded yet again that he was no longer a young lad with infinite energy levels. He had no idea how Soonbok, Sehun and Jongin managed to sustain a balanced lifestyle with their hectic shifts. As a police officer, Kyungsoo’s schedule was of two extremes; utter peacefulness of idyllic days where there are no leads or informants snitching on drugs, or day after day of undercover investigation and chasing after criminals. Kyungsoo was now desperately hoping for the former scenario. Despite how much Kyungsoo had missed being part of the narcotics team, just a few shifts back with the team and he was questioning his sanity.

 

A sudden knock on the car window jolted Kyungsoo back to reality. The annoyed officer glared at the perpetrator who merely gave him an amiable smile. Contrasting with the overcast sky backdrop, Kyungsoo’s partner Junmyeon appeared to have a halo shining around him, truly staying true to his gentlemanly and prince charming persona.

 

“You planning to ferment in your car until Yunho comes out to drag you inside?” Junmyeon’s muffled voice snuck through the gaps of the window.

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. He glanced at his phone, noticing that Sehun had not replied to his morning message yet. However Jongin had responded, claiming that Sehun was still breathing. That answer sufficed as Kyungsoo dragged his body out of the car.

 

“Since when did you become so chummy with the chief? Being on first name basis?” Kyungsoo raised an accusatory eyebrow of betrayal.

 

“Since my partner decided to be a hot-headed fool, get demoted temporarily and leave me all by myself,” Junmyeon sighed dramatically while swinging an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “I was so lonely without you, my partner dearest.”

 

“I’ve been back for a few days now and yet you haven’t even given me a proper welcome back,” Kyungsoo snorted, though the corners of his lips etched into a smirk of jest.

 

The pair waltzed into the highly secure building, manoeuvring through the convoluted corridors with ease and familiarity until they reached their destination.

 

Kyungsoo lingered by the entrance. His eyes grazed across the open-space office where team 3 of the narcotics department resided. Yuri and Hyoyeon, and Kyungsoo and Junmyeon were the key components and active agents. Of course the vital role of Amber could not be forgotten for she is the all-powerful data admin and IT personnel all in one. There was also Johnny, the new trainee recruit who so far has been stuck with desk jobs — mainly helping Amber. Though he did not seem to mind and rather enjoyed the time spent on the web stalking potential leads to heroin and circles. Finally there was Yunho, the chief, and Changmin, the deputy. Under their leadership, team 3 was few in numbers but consisted of highly trained professionals.

 

The reason behind team 3’s petite size was simple: they specialised in tackling and hunting down heroin and distribution and providers. Although these were strong and extremely harmful substances, they were also rarer appearances within the illicit substance circle of South Korea — specifically Seoul. Most drug-related arrests were related to crystal meth, which was the most commonly sold and used drug amongst the population. Thus, team 1 has the largest number of agents who specialise in cases associated with methamphetamines. Meanwhile, team 2 targeted ecstasy and cannabis, which were growing increasingly popular amongst the younger generation.

 

“Alright people, gather around for the morning meeting,” Changmin clapped his hands. “And update Kyungsoo on all the excitement he’s missed out whilst chilling with the patrol team.”

 

Although it had been a couple of days since Kyungsoo had been reinstated to the narcotics team, his team members had been out on investigations, thus he had not seen them properly until today.

 

“Kyungsoo actually has something interesting to bring to the table,” Yunho piped in, motioning Kyungsoo to take over. “Seems like even whilst on patrol he couldn’t keep away from drugs.”

 

“Stalking the crackheads in the ER you mean,” Junmyeon whispered, earning a jab in the ribs from his partner.

 

The pair exchanged playful but vengeful glares before returning back to business. Kyungsoo settled comfortably in his chair and faced his teammates.

 

“There was an incident of young heroin injector brought to the ER. He was found un

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter