A Terrifying Alliance.

Third Time's the Charm [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
A Terrifying Alliance.

 

The merciless winter wind sliced through the afternoon air, tussling Soonbok’s fading red hair.  She waltzed soundlessly behind a large bush in the garden and squatted down, hugging her knees in the process. The muted nurse tugged on her lanyard. With every tug, her eyebrows furrowed together tighter and tighter, reflecting the way in which her heart constricted. With less than half an hour until the end of the shift and left alone to her devices, Soonbok finally allowed the turmoil bubbling inside her to surface.

 

“Kyungsoo was right.”

 

Not expecting to be found, Soonbok jolted into a standing position. The sudden motion caused a wave of dizziness, rendering Soonbok momentarily disoriented. Taking a moment to regain her bearings, Soonbok then frowned at the intruder.

 

“Are you stalking me now?” Soonbok grunted, not appreciating her alone time being interrupted.

 

“You were putting up a brave face earlier,” Sehun continued carefully. “For nurse Kim.”

 

Soonbok’s pupils quaked abruptly. However, before Sehun could register any hint of anxiousness in the girl, she blinked rapidly, disconnecting her inner emotions from the outer surface.

 

“I was being professional.”

 

Although Soonbok spoke in an even tone, Sehun could not help but detect a shadow of forced composure. As if fearing being exposed, Soonbok pursed her lips. Her eyes glided towards the ground in the hopes that her actions would deter the doctor from discussing the matter further.

 

Of course, things would not be going her way today.

 

“Why do you care so much about Na Jaemin?” Sehun questioned. “Surely you’ve encountered your fair share of similar cases; some with much worse outcomes.”

 

Sensing that the stubborn male would not be backing off, Soonbok gave in. She simply did not have the energy to push back. Sehun was an outsider to all this. He had not been scarred time and time again by the cruel and relentless and fragile world of mental health addictions. Would she even be able to explain herself properly?

 

“He’s just so… young and vulnerable looking,” Soonbok stated weakly.

 

“He may be the king pin for all you know,” Sehun countered.

 

“I mean yes but…”

“You are too soft-hearted.”

 

Soonbok stared at Sehun in bewilderment. Yet, she was unable to challenge the statement. She could not come up with a response persuasive enough to herself, let alone a foolishly stubborn doctor. Just as Soonbok readied herself to escape the unwanted conversation, a third presence emerged from the shadows and enveloped her in a warm embrace whilst simultaneously tickling her chin.

 

“Yes,” a husky voice floated into Soonbok’s ears. “Our Bokkie-bok is just too soft-hearted. She devotes her all to her patients. There’s no time for anyone but her patients. Everything and anyone comes second. That’s why she’s still single now.”

 

“Talks the guy who keeps getting dumped because of his unsocial working hours making the partner feel neglected.”

 

Jongin gasped in offence, earning a satisfied cackle from Soonbok. Refusing to admit defeat, the much larger male tightened his hold around the petite girl, squeezing all air out of her. Soonbok deflated like a balloon as a result, falling limp in Jongin’s embrace.

 

“Yah, stand properly or I’ll drop you and you’ll knock your head on the floor,” Jongin warned, proceeding to poke her in the ribs.

 

“Do that and I’ll reported you to HR for abuse,” came a giggled reply.

 

And just like that, the dark clouds had dissipated from within Soonbok’s mind. The semblance of a confident and proud nurse had returned. Seeing the fond and intimate interaction between the two best friends, the corners of Sehun’s lips instinctively curled into an affectionate smile.

 

“I’m meeting Kyungsoo later for celebratory drinks. Want to join us? Sounds like we’d all benefit from a drink or two.”

 

“What are we celebrating?” Jongin and Soonbok chirped in unison.

 

“Kyungsoo’s upcoming un-demotion,” Sehun answered without missing a beat.

 

“Count me in!” Jongin raised his hand eagerly. “It’s about time I’m officially introduced to officer Doh.”

 

・・・

 

“To drinking our livers away!” Jongin cheered loudly. “And if any of us drop dead, Bokkie-bok dearest, our specialist nurse will save us.”

 

“Bokkie-bok?” Kyungsoo mused, his lips curling in amusement.

 

Sehun sniggered, but chocked back a derisive comment when he saw Soonbok’s menacing stare.

 

“If you drop dead you’re going straight to the morgue,” Soonbok declared without any hesitation. “Perfect opportunity to visit SNUH’s morgue. I have yet to visit the place.”

 

“Mind if I join?” Kyungsoo chortled. “Are hospital morgues different from medical examiner’s morgues?”

 

“I guess we’ll find out,” Soonbok replied nonchalantly.

 

The nurse practitioner and police officer clinked their glasses of soju, downing the contents in one go and slamming the empty glasses on the table with great satisfaction. Much to Sehun and Jongin’s horror, they were witnessing the formation of a terrifying alliance.

 

“Maybe this was a bad decision,” Jongin mumbled under his breath.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter