Not So Routine.

Third Time's the Charm [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Not So Routine.

 

Kyungsoo was a man of comfort and routine — as much routine as his job allowed him that is. Part of his daily routine was to return to the quietude of his humble abode after a chaotic day with the world’s most hectic police officers in order to unwind. Today however, Kyungsoo found himself stripped away from routine because of a certain someone called Kim Hyoyeon.

 

“Stop glaring at me,” Hyoyeon snorted. “We’re here to discuss the case further. We’re here to work.”

 

“Work, right,” Kyungsoo spat out.

 

His expression quickly turned into one of panic when he saw Yuri stepping into his kitchen followed by sounds of fumbling through cabinets. Meanwhile, the original source of Kyungsoo’s headache threw herself at the navy beanbag by the balcony door. Hyoyeon groaned in content as she sunk deeper and deeper into its soft embrace. The brown and worn-out leather sofa directly opposite the beanbag was now occupied by Junmyeon and Jongin, with Soonbok sandwiched between them. Jongin lazily threw his arm around Soonbok’s shoulders, his fingers playfully twirling her hair. Soonbok leaned against the back of the sofa, careful to not invade Junmyeon’s personal space. At first she was transfixed by the sunset view behind Hyoyeon where the sky was now painted in an alluring hue of red and yellow. Her eyes then travelled towards the open kitchen door where she could only just about spy a solid grey fridge.

 

Soonbok then glanced at the ajar door next to the kitchen which Kyungsoo promptly shut when Yuri tried to peak into it — safe to say that was the bedroom. Having full visual access of only the living room, Soonbok took note of every minute detail. The off-white walls were mostly covered by large bookshelves filled with a variety of books, DVDs, CDs organised in groups of genre and then placed alphabetically. There were also plenty of photographs decorating the room, highlighting Kyungsoo’s colourful life over the years, By the entrance stood a large potted plant, albeit it was far from thriving. The tips of the leaves faded into yellow, signalling that its owner did not quite have the time to care for it fully.

 

Finally, at the centre of the room was a glass coffee table large enough to hold a feast of food. Something about its size gave off an imposing air. Yet due to its material, it also appeared delicate, especially now that it glistened under the caress of the sun rays filtering through the windows. Johnny had planted himself on the floor, having set up his laptop on the coffee table.

 

“You’re about to run out of toilet paper,” Sehun announced loudly as he squeezed himself onto the sofa, purposefully using Jongin as a leg-rest.

 

“I thought this was a post-work discussion about the case,” Kyungsoo breathed out in resignation, “So how did it turn into a multi-agency meeting?”

 

“Oooh I like the sound of that,” Yuri chirped, having gotten bored of snooping around the flat. “Multi-agency meeting, sounds fancy.”

 

“Just be happy Amber couldn’t make it. She’d be turning the place upside down.”


Kyungsoo stared flatly at Junmyeon, finding no comfort in his words. He then shifted his gaze towards the trio of healthcare professionals, or more specifically, the two males who had no involvement with the investigation.

 

“Don’t you look at me like that Doh Kyungsoo,” Jongin huffed. “Not after hogging Bokkie-bok dearest all to yourself. Plus, whatever this is sounds dangerous so it’s only right I’m here to protect her.”

 

“And I decided to tag alone,” Sehun chirped innocently. “Plus, I’m your best friend so by default I can come over whenever.”

 

At this point, Kyungsoo did not even have the strength to argue back. With everything that happened in relation to the case and Soonbok, how could he possibly expect to keep Jongin and Sehun from getting involved?

 

“Crap,” Hyoyeon hissed, her gaze sharpening as she read the contents of her phone. “Oh crap oh crap oh crap.”

 

The frantic girl sprung out of the bean bag, grabbing Yuri as she made her way towards the door.

 

“I forgot to write up the Hongdae report that is due by midnight and they need it or the evidence will be invalid for tomorrow’s trial,” Hyoyeon yelped as she forcefully put her shoes on. “We need to hurry back to the office now to get it done in time.”

 

“You what?” Yuri screeched, “And why are you dragging me along too?”

 

Hyoyeon stared at Yuri as though she had asked a stupid question. Indeed she did. Everyone knew that whilst Hyoyeon excelled in the field work, Yuri was the one who tidied everything up and packaged it nicely in the follow-up paperwork. Sighing heavily, Yuri waved goodbye at the others and left with the frantic Hyoyeon.

 

Silence befell after the two women’s exit. Hyoyeon had spent less than twenty minutes in Kyungsoo’s flat, yet it felt like a hurricane had come and gone. An exhausted Kyungsoo stared expectantly at the remainder of intruders, hoping he could finally enjoy some peaceful solitude. What he saw instead was Junmyeon dragging the beanbag ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter