To Care for the Degenerates.

Third Time's the Charm [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
To Care for the Degenerates.

 

As an ER nurse, Soonbok was used to the incessant beeping of machines. She knew how to maintain her cool amidst the constant wailing of ailing patients. She was able to numb out the suffocating stench of sterile medical tools and bleach. Despite all this, Soonbok felt a wave of nausea creeping up from her stomach as she sat in the dimly lit meeting room tucked away in an isolated wing of the narcotics department. Maybe it was the lack of ventilation in the room or the stale coffee. Maybe it was due to finding herself in alien land. Maybe it was because she felt outnumbered in the presence of police officers. There were a myriad of reasons Soonbok could come up with on why she felt so unsettled. Deep inside though, she knew very well that in reality, she was simply inundated by the results dug up from the police investigation.

 

“So you’re telling me that you’ve been looking into Na Jaemin. Using the information Jungwoo provided, and combining it with what Yeri had told you already… You’ve traced everything back to the rich politician’s kid officer Soo punched — the very punch that resulted in his demotion,” Soonbok summarised after inhaling deeply.

 

Soonbok held her breath and mentally counted to five before exhaling, letting out a shaky breath as she crossed gazes with Kyungsoo.

 

“The facts and circumstantial evidence are inclining towards that direction,” Junmyeon corrected. “But we have nothing solid as of now. So at the moment, the most we can do is deem that kid a person of interest.”

 

“A person of interest,” Soonbok repeated stoically before falling silent.

 

Junmyeon and Kyungsoo exchanged a look of concern, wondering whether they had overwhelmed the nurse. After all, she was still a civilian, and she had shown great investment in the wellbeing of Na Jaemin. They had no time to comfort her though as a knock interrupted them. Johnny emerged with his trusted laptop in hand and promptly connected it to the projector. The machine roared to life and the photograph of a doctor lit up the screen.

 

“Kim Heechul, a doctor working for a private clinic in Gangnam. He’s known to associate closely with Lee Taeyeong,” Johnny briefed them.

 

“So he’s got the doctor in his pocket,” Junmyeon sighed. “It’s as we suspected…”

 

Kyungsoo clenched his jaws and punched the table. His eyes blazed with fury as he leaned back against his chair in an attempt to dissipate the growing anger and frustration inside of him.

 

“I should’ve done more— I could’ve done more. I should’ve sent that kid behind bars when I could,” Kyungsoo hissed.

 

“You did everything you could,” Junmyeon interrupted. “It was just… beyond us. And if you really are going to take the blame for this whole situation then count me in too because I’m your partner and we were investigating it together.”

 

Shaking his head, Kyungsoo let out a helpless grunt. He glanced at Soonbok and found her pondering deeply in her thoughts as she bit the inside of her cheek. Her gaze never left the photo of Kim Heechul though her pupils were quaking, as if connecting dots together that only she could see.

 

“Lee Taeyong is the politician’s kid that officer Soo punched,” Soonbok finally spoke up. “He’s now more than just a person of interest.”

 

Her words were a statement and not a question. Johnny froze, realising belatedly that he may have disclosed too much confidential information to a civilian.

 

“You said it was just as you suspected,” Soonbok continued, seemingly unperturbed by the new discovery. “Let me guess. The working theory is that the corrupt doctor is prescribing addictive painkillers to naive kids, gets them hooked up on opiates. These kids of course have no money or means to access the drugs thus they get turned into drug mules. All the while this opens the gate to a world of heroin and and a vicious cycle with no escape. As for the rich kid’s involvement, he finds the victims and preys when they’re at their weakness, ultimately profiting from the drug operations.”

 

This time it was Junmyeon’s turn to freeze. Just a few moments ago he was worried about the mental state of the unfamiliar girl, but now he was the one that was rattled. How could she reach such a precise conclusion within such a short span of time? Just what had she experienced and encountered in her line of work?  Most importantly, will she be an asset or liability down the line? There was no denying that Junmyeon held his reservations towards the nurse’s involvement in the investigation, but the chief had given the green-light and all the relevant paperwork had been signed and processed. Furthermore, she had come highly recommended by his very own partner, and it did not seem like Kyungsoo would have taken no for an answer.

 

“You don’t sound surprised,” Junmyeon stated carefully.

 

“Being a drug mule becomes the only lifeline for the victims while the predator simply enjoys the premium lu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter